Assumpsit, Aasimar Hexblade 1 Swords College Bard 10

MidnightPoet

Assumpsit

Your Most Trustworthy Legal Representative in the Nine Hells, **disclaimer**

Basics

Alignment: Lawful Good **disclaimer**

Race: Aasimar **disclaimer**

Class: Warlock (Hexblade) 1, Bard (College of Swords) 10

Background: Solicitor (Custom)Ideal. Emotions must not cloud our logical thinking. (Lawful)

Personality. I’m used to helping out those who aren’t as smart as I am, and I patiently explain anything and everything to others.

Why work on one task when you can do three? You like to multitask, even when you don't need to.

Bond. It is my duty to protect my clients.

Flaw. Most people scream and run when they see a demon. I stop and take notes on its anatomy.

Feature. When you attempt to learn or recall a piece of lore, if you do not know that information, you often know where and from whom you can obtain it. Usually, this information comes from a library, scriptorium, university, or a sage or other learned person or creature. Your DM might rule that the knowledge you seek is secreted away in an almost inaccessible place, or that it simply cannot be found. Unearthing the deepest secrets of the multiverse can require an adventure or even a whole campaign.

Skills: Insight, Arcana

Language: Infernal

Tool: Calligraphy Supplies

spacer.png
Appearance

A gleaming, bronze statue of a winged angel can be seen leaning into his sword, stuck in a stone. The angel is beautific, almost inviting, and comes as a welcome sight in the hellscape of the Nine Hells. As you approach, you hear a song in your head: the Song of the Spheres! Enraptured by that soft music, you barely notice the strange buzz in your head as you are drawn closer still. Memories of happier days seem to come unbidden, drawn out by the music drumming in your head.

You notice the face of the statue seem to melt. It looks familiar and welcoming, like you were seeing your mother or your childhood friend ready to tell you a secret. Suddenly, the eye of the statue opens, revealing a golden iris, and the spell breaks. The statue's face remains the same as before, but a chill runs down your spine as you realize the power of celestial charm that was just brought to bear on you.

Playstyle

Assumpsit uses his shapeshifting and telepathic powers to freely assume the shape and identity of whoever is most convenient for his goals and purpose. For example, he may create an amalgamation of your most trusted associates in order to influence you (friends cantrip). Most people in the Nine Hells have done something to deserve their fate and their souls are--for the most part--indestructible, so he does not consider these acts of deceit and intrusion to violate any of his celestial scruples.

Against devils, he has even less inclination to resist harming or deceiving them. He is however, contract-bound against permanently destroying devils with his celestial mace. This prohibition does not apply to any devils that mortally threaten Assumpsit's own soul or those of his clients. He is quick to tell his clients, this only applies to the destruction or irreversible change of said soul, not a transfer of ownership or a reversible change. Assumpsit therefore, has every inclination to make himself known and seek official recognition of entry by negotiating with devils or using their true names to compel them. If the devil is goaded into threatening him or his clients, he is then able to legally slay them as per his contract.

Appearance

The natural appearance of angels and devils is a matter of much debate and conjecture. These are entities who, by their very nature serve as messengers to the mortal demesne, adapt their appearance to best impress or intimidate the people they contact. Assumpsit, as an Aasimar, is half-Angel and has inherited this angelic gift for adapting his appearance. He can appear morbidly obese or anorexically thin, male or female, scaly skin or feathers. He often takes on a form most comfortable or attractive to his client, but this leaves many wondering about his true gender, identity, or if you can even trust his motivations.

It will suffice to know that many Erinyes also serve as legal representatives in Hell and are naturally female. The fact that Assumpsit assumes a different identity from these Baatezu will help you understand how he views himself and might behave.

Personality

Angels are first and foremost the servants of gods and generally have very little free will or even a name. Instead, if they do adopt a name, it is often one to describe their purpose rather than their identity. Assumpsit, meaning 'He Promised', is a legalistic term to appeal for a change in damages caused by a breach of contract. Knowing makes it easier to understand the Aasimar's goals and motivations.

Assumpsit maintains an impeccable appearance and seems to place great importance in how they are perceived. When not removing dents from his armor or wiping ash from his suit, he can be found researching esoteric exceptions in diabolic laws, scribbling notes into a legal ledger, or muttering legal arguments to himself as if practicing for an oration. In other words, the Aasimar enjoys being active and dislikes acting without purpose.

Background

History

In ages past, in the lands of the North, was the small town of Loudwater. It was in this town, years before the return of the Green Regent, Nanathlor, that a young aasimar entered the world. He grew up from poverty, witnessing the gross injustices committed by the nobility and members of the Rensha family. As a child, he stole a glass dagger and later discovered it to be an artifact for a hexblade ritual. He only had to slay a person with the artifact, and he would gain the power they had in life.

The young aasimar discovered a wounded mercenary by the road, begging for death. He slit the knight's throat, completing the ritual, and gaining her skill with the blade alongside her memories. Assuming her identity, the aasimar avenged the mercenary by slaying the nobleman that killed her. These actions earned him the attention of Nanathlor's band, but he was hesitant to join hands with the Blessed of Miellikki. That did not mean that Nynian could not assist his rebellion against Pasuuk Rensha indirectly.

Assuming the identity of the female mercenary, Nynian, the aasimar gathered support from the local nobles and people to support Nanathlor's mercenaries. When negotiation would fail, he would sometimes kill and impersonate intractable nobles. In such a way, did the story of Dame Nynian rise to prominence in the Shining Valley. Sadly, she was killed by Zhentari agents in the years following the Green Regent's return.

The aasimar's contract for the hexblade meant his soul was judged in the Nine Hells after his death. Eventually, he came to serve the Archdevil Glasya as a solicitor of souls. His work appealing for the sentences of the damned would eventually catch the interest of the Conclave of Halruaa. The arcanists believed that such a legal mechanism in the Nine Hells could be used to fulfill or even curtail the prophecy they have foreseen. And when seeking legal loopholes in diabolic law, there is no one better to ask than the most trustworthy lawyer in the Nine Hells.

Hook

Assumpsit signed an infernal contract to obtain a hexblade. In order to complete the ritual and contract, he would need to kill a victim with the hexblade. The death from the hexblade would bind the victim's soul to his own and confer him with their martial expertise. Assumpsit could have killed a criminal or someone guilty of grave sin, but he instead killed an innocent and condemned himself.

The charge for jealousy comes from his envy towards the nobility and knights. His envy was such that even after he killed an innocent mercenary for her martial skill, he impersonated her and assumed to take over the life she would have had. When his impersonations were discovered, he would kill and assume the identity of other nobles or servants to escape and start anew. Because of his jealous feelings that drove him to kill and steal the identity of those he covets, Assumpsit condemned himself.

The murder with the hexblade granted Assumpsit his supernatural abilities, and he used these abilities to steal the identities of other nobles in an act of jealousy. However, these can be rationalized as the extreme circumstances of his life and the extraordinary events of a civil war. Instead, the most unpardonable crime is his imprisonment of souls. These souls helped fuel the abilities, knowledge, and skills he needed to fulfill his ambitions as a hero. He kept these souls imprisoned until his death, instead of releasing them. For the enslavement and oppression of others, Assumpsit condemned himself.

It is a glorious day for the Baatezu when a Celestial, or any of their kin, descend and are trapped in the Nine Hells. In such cases, the Infernal Courts charge them with as many crimes as they can. This does not happen solely out of spite, but because so many Archdevils are interested in having such a fallen in their service. It then becomes a competition to see who has the better argument. In Assumptsit's case, he was charged with three crimes by four archdevils: Envy, charged by Belial and Fierna; Murder of an innocent, charged by Dis; and Oppression, charged by Glasya. In the end, Glasya won the majority of her claims and claimed the aasimar's soul.

Statblock

Ability Scores

STRENGTH DEXTERITY CONSTITUTION INTELLIGENCE WISDOM CHARISMA
10 (0) 14 (+2) 17 (+3) 16 (+3) 10 (+0) 20 (+5)

Athletics +2

Acrobatics +4

Sleight of Hand +4

Stealth +4

Arcana (E) +11

History +5

Investigation +5

Nature +5

Religion +5

Animal +2

Insight (E) +8

Medicine +2

Perception +2

Survival +2

Deception (E) +13

Intimidation +7

Performance +7

Persuasion (E) +13

Proficiency Modifier +4

Hit Points 91

AC, Attacks

Class Features, Racial Features, Feats

Racial Features Class Features Item and Boon Features

Ability Score Increase. +1 to Three (10,10,14,16,17,18)
Creature Type. Humanoid.
Size.  Medium 
Speed.  30 feet.
Darkvision.  60 feet 
Celestial Resistance. Resistance to necrotic damage and radiant damage.
Healing Hands. Heal one creature 4d4 hit points 1/Longrest
Light Bearer. 
Celestial Revelation. Radiant Soul. 1/Longrest

Free Feat. Eldritch Adept (Mask of Many Faces

Hexblade Curse 1/Shortrest
Hex Warrior
Bardic Inspiration 5/Shortrest
Jack of All Trades
Song of Rest

Expertise: Arcana, Insight, Deception, Persuasion
Fighting Style: Dueling
Font of Inspiration
Countercharm
Magical Secrets
Extra Attack
Blade Flourish

Feat 4: Actor
Feat 8: Telepathic (CHA) 

Immunity: reading thoughts, lying, or knowing my creature type & alignment.

Fire Resistance

Spells List

Equipment

Mace of Disruption (Rare) (Attuned)

Periapt of Protection Against Poison (Rare)

Molten Bronze Half-Plate (1500+750) (Attuned)

Ring of Mind Shielding (400) (Attuned)

Rope of Entanglement (2000)

Shiftweave (100)

Longsword +1, Silvered (615gp)

5865 spent

1635 left

Character Sheet

1. Create a thread in this folder titled: Character Name, Race Class Level. Mark it "WIP" while working on it and "Ready for Review" when you're ready for me to take a look at it.
  2. You will be creating an 11th level character.
  3. Application Format: Any you want. You can make it as fancy as you like if that's your thing, but it doesn't have to be. If accepted I will ask you to make and maintain a Myth-Weavers character sheet and attach it to the game. These are going to get complicated given the level and, unfortunately, a lot will probably not make it into the game. Given the power level I am going to want to see a build, but you don't have to spell out the details of every ability, power and spell for me, you can give me a bare bones listing of the choices you are making for the character. I'm also completely fine with working out, and reviewing, the narrative portion of your character concept to make sure we have something we can work with before you dive into the crunch.
  4. Stats: You can roll 4d6 six times, dropping the lowest, and assign the rolls as you wish or use a 27 point point-buy. If you don't like your rolls you can have one re-roll and then switch to point-buy if you're still not happy with the result.
  5. Hit Points: Max at first level, roll or take the average for the rest. You can do a mixture of these (five levels rolled, five average, for example). If you roll and roll a 1 or 2 you can re-roll it but if you roll low again, you're stuck with it.
  6. Allowed Races: Any official race is fine. If it shows up in multiple sources, use the most recent. You can customize your lineage and I'll consider races customized per Tasha's, though I'd probably rather not without a compelling reason. Variant Human is fine.
  7. Allowed Classes: Any official class and archetype. Multiclassing is allowed.
  8. Allowed Backgrounds: Any official background is fine. I might also consider third party material for this as long as the class feature is comparable to the official ones. I saw this elsewhere and I'm going to try something a bit different than I usually do. Rather than banning backgrounds that give feats or spells, I'm going to say that if your background doesn't provide a feat or a spell list you can take a feat for free, with the following restriction:
    1. No feats that grant a +1 to an attribute.
    2. No -5/+10 feats
    3. No Lucky or Polearm Master
  9. Alignment: As long as you can work with others, any is fine. Being evil (and especially continuing to be evil) will put you at a slight disadvantage in the end game.
  10. Equipment: Per background and class. You can sell unwanted equipment for half-price. You also get an additional 7500gp and either a very rare magic item and an uncommon one, or two rare magic items, subject to my approval. You can buy magic items with your gold, though only rare or lower and only one additional rare item. And, unfortunately, there's not a pricing guide that I like consistently, so you're just going to have to ask me about prices. A list will be compiled here. Wizards can buy scrolls and scribe them in their spellbook; details can be found here.
  11. Appearance / Personality: Give me a paragraph for each in addition to (or expanding on) Personality/Ideals/Bonds/Flaws. A picture would be nice but not required.
  12. Adventure Hook: Either someone you care about has been ensnared in sin and signed a contract with Asmodeus (see Lost Souls) or you yourself have (see Souls of the Damned). In either event this poor unfortunate soul has been murdered before they could fulfill their end of the bargain and, per their contract, has been damned to Hell. Choose one of the entries, modify one to fit your character, or come up with your own entirely.
  13. Character History: You're eleventh level so you'll have had quite the storied life up until now. Given the number of applications I'm likely to get, I can't read all about it, fascinating though I'm sure it is. Give me the highlights, focusing on your most significant deeds, perhaps how you acquired one of your magic items or a particularly significant foe/achievement. Tell me about how you came to Asmodeus' attention, how and why he courted you as well as how you resisted his temptations (or didn't). Tell me about your relationship with the lost soul you chose (or how you lost your own).

Edited by MidnightPoet
made a mistake with the ability scores. Reduced CON 18 to 17 (see edit history)

Looks like I'm using the reroll.

Roll for statsReroll

Edited by MidnightPoet (see edit history)
Name
Roll for stats
repeat(drop(4d6,lowest,1),6) 1,2,3,5,1,3,5,6,1,1,3,5,2,4,5,6,1,2,3,5,3,3,5,5
Reroll
repeat(drop(4d6,lowest,1),6) 1,3,3,3,4,6,6,6,1,5,6,6,1,3,3,4,2,3,6,6,1,4,4,5

The character is ready for review.

He is missing a few spells and 1 magical secret. I plan to fill them out when I have a better idea of the party composition, and the extra remaining gold will be used to purchase healing potions and spell reagents.