The Fallen's Rest Tavern - Application OOC

The Eyeball Kid

• 2 weeks later...

Hey GM! Thematic question here.

I read that the characters were raised by the Hellriders or the Conclave - is there a particular 'time period' that the characters have to be from?

I'm not at all knowledgeable about FR lore (though I am a quick reader!) and this being a focus on the Hells, all Nine of them, I don't imagine it'd have a lot to do with the game itself. Not looking to play an ancient forgotten evil (more like an old-ish foot-note-y from-a-certain-point-of-view evil), but I thought I'd check up first!

Also, game sounds great! I love the Hells in any fantasy setting, and I've had my curiosity piqued about the Forgotten Realms when I played BG3.

Well, I'm sure someone will want to know about scribing spells into a spellbook, so here goes.

First, I've added prices for the scrolls to the character rules here.

Scribing it into your spellbook would cost 50gp per level (halved if you have the proper savant ability)

Scribing a scroll from your spellbook is a bit odd by the rules. Seemingly by any reasonable standard the costs for scribing a scroll in Xanathar's are much greater, at least at higher levels, than what it would take to buy one (and yes, I've heard the argument about wanting you to go out adventuring rather than sit home crafting scrolls...) I think I'm going to say that scribing the scroll costs half what it would cost to buy plus the cost of any non-common material components (if the component wouldn't be consumed you only have to pay this once) and leave it at that.

Tentative interest. Couple games I was in on the old site seemed to have died off, so might have room for a game or two more, and have a few potential character ideas.

One "is it allowed" question is on the Pyromancy Sorcerer archetype. The Magic the Gathering supplements it was a part of were made by Wizards of the Coast, but always has been a grey area between more official than Unearthed Arcana, less official that a published book.

Theme-wise, the vibes I'm getting is one of redemption and sacrifice, of doing the right thing in the worst place with potentially some tough moral greys along the way. Just wanting to make sure that sounds about right before I assume too much with what I pitch.

@Zaathun Hm. Well, I'm pretty sure the writers of the campaign intended the souls to be fairly fresh -- if for no other reason than anyone who's been there terribly long has probably been converted to a lemure or other devil -- but I guess I don't see why that has to be the case. Probably the spell the patrons are using requires certain things to be true or folks would be snatching souls out of Hell left and right, I could see being strong enough to hold out as an indication of a worthy target.

Neither patron would be willing to raise anyone too monstrous (though the Conclave would be a little more flexible here than the Hellriders) and neither would raise someone whose history suggests they'd go rogue, not without some kind of hold on them anyway.

So, yeah, I guess I don't have a problem with a character that's a bit more historical than contemporary.

Without giving too much away, I do want to reiterate that being evil, though mostly continuing to be evil, will likely have some repercussions in the endgame.