The Fallen's Rest Tavern - Application OOC

The Eyeball Kid

Here's hoping you don't mind me applying to *another* one of your games @The Eyeball Kid ;) Lol.

First off- I know this seems a silly question as it's in 2 published books etc, but some DMs do have opinions and leanings on the class so I thought I would ask: the Artificer class. Are you okay with it in game?

I'm still narrowing down a single concept- but I thought I would ask for a bit of 'clarification without spoilers' sort of thing.

When it comes to our characters are we wanting to create a deep, rich story to play out over the course of the game- or would you prefer characters to be more "Goal Orientated, let story happen organically" sort of thing?

As an example, two of the concepts I'm wrestling with are a bit 'different'. One is a "Awakened Construct" (warforged) whose creator signed an infernal pact to not only bring her to life but to put the soul of his deceased wife into the construct. So there's a whole "what does it mean to be alive" existential crisis sort of thing and some dark secrets at play etc.

And the other is a dragonborn who continually just finds herself in the worst life-situations possible, grew to hate the gods for cursing her and when her anger and rage can no longer take it a charming devil appeared and offered her her heart's wish- to have power that she could use to strike at the gods themselves for their perceived 'hate' of her.

One has a visible "through line" of a story. The construct learns what it means to truly be alive, independent, if she really is reborn or is something new and of course the husband's soul. The other is a blank slate with just the set up of "this is how I got damned, this is what I did to earn a second chance" etc without a lot of forward-looking in a sense.

What sort of 'Style' would you be looking for? If this is a module we're playing- I kind of assume the later? -Or?

@Miss I'm more than happy to see you apply. Artificer is definitely on the table.

I'll add my own spin to things and pull from your character write ups but yes, it's a published campaign. I don't think it's giving too much away to say it's also a bit of a Macguffin hunt what with looking for the lost souls (yours or others'), some legendary magic items the Conclave will clue you into, the Hellriders' lost angels and the Conclave's "dangerous soul". I'm hoping you're sufficiently motivated to stay on task but, in between hunting macguffins and figuring out how to navigate the infernal landscape (literal and figurative) and looking for leverage on Asmodeus, I'm more than willing to try to work in any personal goals/story you want to give me.

And, if the group ultimately decides to go completely off the rails, well, the campaign's already gone to Hell, we can figure something out.

7 hours ago, The Eyeball Kid said:

@Zaathun Hm. Well, I'm pretty sure the writers of the campaign intended the souls to be fairly fresh -- if for no other reason than anyone who's been there terribly long has probably been converted to a lemure or other devil -- but I guess I don't see why that has to be the case. Probably the spell the patrons are using requires certain things to be true or folks would be snatching souls out of Hell left and right, I could see being strong enough to hold out as an indication of a worthy target.

Neither patron would be willing to raise anyone too monstrous (though the Conclave would be a little more flexible here than the Hellriders) and neither would raise someone who's history suggests they'd go rogue, not without some kind of hold on them anyway.

So, yeah, I guess I don't have a problem with a character that's a bit more historical than contemporary.

Without giving too much away, I do want to reiterate that being evil, though mostly continuing to be evil, will likely have some repercussions in the endgame.

Thanks for the answer! That sounds great!

For what it's worth, I tried not to go for anything too grand, or anything that I feel is outside of the level scope. I've done a lot of reading on the wiki now! Resurrection-wise, that makes a lot of sense to me too!

Regarding the being evil and remaining evil, if we go for "character tropes", I'm definitely aiming for more of the villain with a cause, having honour, some long-dead mentors that might've had a point. Redemption in the Hells is cool.

Edited by Zaathun (see edit history)

@Zaathun Oh it's not a bother, sorry if I made it sound like one. Heck, I let a 650 year old elf into another game. This is kind of tame in comparison.

That character trope fits the setting well. The Hellriders might even have raised an honored foe, liking the irony and chance to redeem her, if they thought they could control her but it does seem more likely the Conclave.

14 minutes ago, The Eyeball Kid said:

@Miss I'm more than happy to see you apply. Artificer is definitely on the table.

I'll add my own spin to things and pull from your character write ups but yes, it's a published campaign. I don't think it's giving too much away to say it's also a bit of a Macguffin hunt what with looking for the lost souls (yours or others'), some legendary magic items the Conclave will clue you into, the Hellriders' lost angels and the Conclave's "dangerous soul". I'm hoping you're sufficiently motivated to stay on task but, in between hunting macguffins and figuring out how to navigate the infernal landscape (literal and figurative) and looking for leverage on Asmodeus, I'm more than willing to try to work in any personal goals/story you want to give me.

And, if the group ultimately decides to go completely off the rails, well, the campaign's already gone to Hell, we can figure something out.

I did guess that if our characters are expected to go from 11th level to 20th level there was going to be a bit of 'room' for side quests and tasks between us beginning the adventure and finding the souls we're all after. Lol

Alright, I'll try and narrow down to a single concept. Unless you're okay with me just having a handful of characters for you to pick from to see what fits in the game. LOL

I think I might've linked something (didn't know about said rule on MW - won't repeat that) and now my sheet appears to need permission.

That said - with the review requirements being what they are, and after taking a little longer than I thought was sane picking the final touches, I think I'm happy with the app as it stands - even if I'm missing a feat and items.

Looking forward to the review!

1 hour ago, Zaathun said:

I think I might've linked something (didn't know about said rule on MW - won't repeat that) and now my sheet appears to need permission.

That said - with the review requirements being what they are, and after taking a little longer than I thought was sane picking the final touches, I think I'm happy with the app as it stands - even if I'm missing a feat and items.

Looking forward to the review!

I made the same mistake once, and you might need to post in Support to get it resolved.

Testing the waters for magic items.

Gauntlets of Ogre Power (Uncommon) from Dungeon Master's Guide
Eyes of Minute Seeing (Uncommon) from Dungeon Master's Guide
Goggles of Night (Uncommon) from Dungeon Master's Guide
Helm of Comprehending Languages (Uncommon) from Dungeon Master's Guide
Serpent Scale Armor (Uncommon) from Candlekeep Mysteries

Hell Hound Cloak (Rare) from Tales from the Yawning Portal
Shard of Xeluan (Rare) from Keys from the Golden Vault

Orb of the Veil (Very Rare) from Explorer's Guide to Wildemount
Manuals and Tomes (Very Rare) from Dungeon Master's Guide There are sixManual of Bodily Health
Manual of Gainful Exercise
Manual of Quickness of Action
Tome of Clear Thought
Tome of Leadership and Influence
Tome of Understanding

1 hour ago, BlackPhoenix said:

I made the same mistake once, and you might need to post in Support to get it resolved.

I see. I copied the source code just in case I need to remake it, but I've also contacted support - happy to hear I wasn't the first person with that issue!