Chapter 1 - The First Day of Pelor's Rest

Butchern

On 12/9/2023 at 12:05 PM, Caystodd said:

Gert downed the shot like a prow and slammed the empty glass onto the bar.

The entire common room of the inn cheered when Gert slammed her glass on the bar. Then the bar fell silent again as they watched, waiting to see what would happen next.

Tore was also watching, mouth open, when he was torn away from Gert with questions from Celeg.

On 12/9/2023 at 12:14 PM, matt_s said:

What drove them to abandon the keep and mine?

"The dwarves said the mine was spent," Tore said. "That was before my time, mind you. But I suspect it is true. No one from the town ever goes over there. The old timers say it is haunted, but they say everything is haunted."

I am no trapper or hunter but one of those rabbits in the flesh would be a heck of a sight.

"Indeed," Tore said. "Not sure how well they'd fare in the south, but there'd be money in trying to get a breeding pair to the Middle Kingdom."

And that giant, he's a nasty customer I take it?

"He was . . . back in my day. I don't rightly know how long giants live. Longer than men? Maybe? He'd be an old fella if he aged like we do. But like I said, he hasn't been back in decades, and I'm not sure I'd put much stock on tales of giant sightings; the people of Redbark are pretty squirrely. But I'll be he's still up there somewhere."

On 12/10/2023 at 1:59 PM, SirLoganofGilead said:

"If someone were interested what's this town like for a person looking to settle? Are any places available? I've been traveling north looking for the right place, any chance this one is open to new people?"

"I don't think we have any empty houses right now, not officially, but we do have the Temporary House on the south side of town. It is usually reserved for married couples . . . while their house is being built, but if you wanted to clear a little land and build a place, I'm sure the town would let you stay there. The Mayor would love another capable man such as yourself in town."

Edited by Butchern (see edit history)

Gert's first thought as the liquid hit her tongue was, "This might have been a mistake." It burned. Her tongue burned. Her eyes and nose burned. Her cheeks burned. Everything burned.

Gert's face screwed up like a cat that had licked a lemon. Time seemed to slow as the liquid made its descent. Her throat burned. Her neck burned. Her breasts burned. Her belly button burned. Her stomach burned. She clutched the bar with both hands. It was not clear if she was trying to anchor herself to this world or if she was bracing for the worst that was surely still to come.

But the worst did not come, not yet. The burning turned to an overwhelming warmth that rose up into her head and slowly sank down into her belly, and still lower, heading down to her knees. She coughed once and saw stars. Gert swayed and then she felt like she was floating. But she wasn't. She was falling.

Celeg thanked Tore for the information, I appreciate you take the time to humor a weary traveler's questions, but never mind me, there goes Gert - "

he watched with stoppered breath as Gert downed the drink.

When Celeg realized she was falling, he rose from his seat and awkwardly caught her and lowered Gert to the ground somewhat less than gracefully. There was humor in drink and even drink to excess, he supposed, but much less so than knocking oneself on the head or in letting a companion do so.

Is this the kind of drink that puts to sleep or whips you into a frenzy? What I mean to say is, what you think will happen now?

But Celeg realized that all he needed to do was shut up and wait. And so he did. This might not end well, but it would certainly not end boring.

The entire inn cheered when Gert went down. The shouted and toasted one another and then went back to whatever they were doing.

Even Tore raised a class to Gert's bravery in her drink choice. He looked alarmed when she fell and was relieved when Celeg caught her.

1 hour ago, matt_s said:

Is this the kind of drink that puts to sleep or whips you into a frenzy? What I mean to say is, what you think will happen now?

"Hard to say," Tore said. "The Snow Blindness hits everyone differently, but frenzy is more like as not. I guess we'll find out."

On 12/8/2023 at 12:19 PM, Blue Firebird said:

What kind of rabbit is that?

Seresse studied the strange trophy. Something about it was off. It felt cold to her, the longer she looked at it. The fur had been repaired in many places, not that unusual with taxidermy in the north, and the eyes were black glass. But why was it so cold? And then she realized . . . like recognized like. She could feel the connection, even after all that time had passed. The residue of necromantic energy was still on the trophy, clinging to it like a mist. This was not the mounted head of a beast that had been alive, was killed, and then was stuffed. This was the mounted head of a beast that was decapitated while it was un-alive but reanimated. Now only a trace of the black magic remained.

"Thank you," Gert said groggily as she climbed up the back of a bar stool with Celeg's help. She collapsed onto the seat and used the bar top to hold herself up. "You are very handsome," she added. Her words slurred, and she patted Celeg on the arm. Then she put her head down on the bar, face-first. "I don't think that rabbit is real," she said. Her words were not both slurred and muffled. "I would know about something like that if it were real. I'm a very knowledgeable woman."

Celeg quietly sighed. I ... thank you for the compliment. I'm sure you're very knowledgeable, I've seen all the maps you've got with the fancy symbols, what's the word you were using, "topoglaphic"?

I don't know much about Dire Rabbits, but I think Tore has given us an honest account of things.

Oh, and Tore, before this - a vague gesture at the inebriated Gert - really kicks off, who should I talk to to get a group of folks to check on the travelers who dug in with the wagons? Yeah, yeah, a bit of boring business, and it's the holidays and all, but it has to get worked out sometime.

Aron continued to do his best to observe the crowd, he was starting to settle down a bit when the mayor was mentioned offhandedly. He did not want to make a big deal of the issue, but he did want to know more about the authorities of the place. He decided to take the chance and ask the follow-up question. "What are the mayor and the sheriff like? We saw the sheriff for a moment on the way in, but those two positions can make a town welcoming or not."

He saw Gert go down and Celeg grab her. He felt a bit bad for the girl, having too much drink was one of the things that had made him turn away from the bottle in the place. "You ok Gert? You let me know if you need anything." He hadn't been overly friendly on the trip thus far, but it was hard to travel as far as they had and not get to know each other a bit.

On 12/13/2023 at 7:13 PM, Butchern said:
Seresse studied the strange trophy. Something about it was off. It felt cold to her, the longer she looked at it. The fur had been repaired in many places, not that unusual with taxidermy in the north, and the eyes were black glass. But why was it so cold? And then she realized . . . like recognized like. She could feel the connection, even after all that time had passed. The residue of necromantic energy was still on the trophy, clinging to it like a mist. This was not the mounted head of a beast that had been alive, was killed, and then was stuffed. This was the mounted head of a beast that was decapitated while it was un-alive but reanimated. Now only a trace of the black magic remained.

Seresse's eyes go wide with the realization. What foulness is this? She glances at the bartender, who seems busy watching the effects of his legendary drink on poor Gert. Do they know? Could this place hold such dark secrets? She doesn't think so. The place feels too warm and genuine for all that, though some might say the same of her. No matter. This is worth investigating.

Seeing that the bartender is busy, and hoping to whatever gods still listened to her that she hadn't scarred poor Gilly too much, she goes to seek out the barmaid for answers. Someone must know where this creature comes from, who slew it, and whether there is more to that story. Gert's condition as Seresse approaches the bar causes the Elf to hesitate. She glides over to stand beside Gert at the bar, across from Celeg. She nods to him and glances down at Gert with concern, then back at him as if to ask: Is she alright?

After making sure their companion isn't about to liquefy from the inside, Seresse seeks out Gilly for information.

Celeg looks at Gert with curiosity. I know as much as this drink as you, and the tale will be told soon enough. I'll wager she'll be fine tomorrow minus a raging headache if that soothes you.

Tore, could you get me a mug of the local lager? Something to ease the soreness and stress of the road.

On 12/14/2023 at 8:03 PM, matt_s said:

Who should I talk to to get a group of folks to check on the travelers who dug in with the wagons? Yeah, yeah, a bit of boring business, and it's the holidays and all, but it has to get worked out sometime.

"That's be the sheriff," Tore said. "But you won't get anyone to leave the valley until morning . . . if then. Too dangerous to brave the blizzard in the dark."

8 hours ago, SirLoganofGilead said:

"What are the mayor and the sheriff like? We saw the sheriff for a moment on the way in, but those two positions can make a town welcoming or not."

"Salt of the earth, those two," Tore said. "Good people. Mayor is a bit of a dandy, but people like him. Make no mistake, this town will take time to warm up to new folks. We don't get many of those, you understand. But they'll take you in here as on of them eventually. They took my little Clara in. She's from way down south, and they treat her like one of their own now."

6 hours ago, Blue Firebird said:

Someone must know where this creature comes from, who slew it, and whether there is more to that story.

Seresse cornered Gilly as she was bringing in more wood from outside. In the light and warmth of the inn, Gilly was a little less spooked by Seresse's presence than she was in the stable and was willing to talk. She talked fast.

Gilly told a similar story to Tore about the dire rabbit. In fact, everything she knew about the unusual trophy she had heard from Tore himself. She didn't think the thing was real and neither did most of the rest of Redbark. The townsfolk repeated all sorts of rumors about the old keep, of course. It had been abandoned for more than a decade now. Some said it was haunted. Some said goblins lived there. Some said it was haunted by goblin ghosts. And so on. The old keep was just on the east side of the river about five miles from town.

4 hours ago, matt_s said:

Tore, could you get me a mug of the local lager? Something to ease the soreness and stress of the road.

"Coming right up! And dinner will be served here shortly. Clara!" he bellowed. "Time to get supper ready!"

"Yessir!" a voice called from the floor above.

Celeg agreed wholeheartedly with Tore's view.

The worst rescue is the one that leaves more people in need of rescuing than you started with, I say. In the dark, already more than a little cold and tired already, who knows what could happen if we go blunderin' about? We can see how things stand in the morning. There are some experienced hands back at the caravan, they'll have been able to dig in and keep warm overnight. Plenty of foodstuffs too there.

Thank you kindly for the pint, it should go nicely with dinner. It's been all too long since I had some hearty inn cooked food.

Aye, I wager that rabbit is like as not the work of a rogue taxidermist. Nasty blokes, those. We could look at the mine though. Old mineshafts are dangerous but no harm in a little wandering.

"Thank you," Seresse tells Gilly with a polite bow of her head. She opens her mouth as if to say more but hesitates. Clearly the woman is uncomfortable. Seresse is awkward. Why add to the mess? Clearly, she is a fool. Yes, that's it. Clearly. "I...w-would you like something warm? To drink, I mean."

On 12/16/2023 at 1:46 PM, matt_s said:
Aye, I wager that rabbit is like as not the work of a rogue taxidermist. Nasty blokes, those. We could look at the mine though. Old mineshafts are dangerous but no harm in a little wandering.

The Elf gives him a long look. Tell him now or later? Here in the common room, even by the firelight, it seems ill-advised to speak of such dark things. "It is real." Her eyes are wide with conveyed meaning. "Trust me: it is worth investigating. I can feel it." She nods as if to say there is more, but leaves it at that.

Name
Rapport
[+,0,0,0] +1 = 2
fate(1) 1,0,0,0

Gert raised her head just in time to see Clara descended the stairs in response to the Tore's call.

"It's the demon spawn!" Gert whispered far too loudly than she intended.

Clara headed back into the kitchen to begin supper.

"I'm going to talk to it!" Gert whispered again, this time even louder.

She slid off the barstool, steadied herself, and then wobbled her way toward the kitchen after Clara.

11 hours ago, Blue Firebird said:

"I...w-would you like something warm? To drink, I mean."

"No!" Gilly said hastily. Then, more calmly. "No, thank you. I'm not allowed to drink on the job." Then she hurried off to busy herself with work.

9 hours ago, Caystodd said:

She slid off the barstool, steadied herself, and then wobbled her way toward the kitchen after Clara.

Tore didn't hear much of what Gert said, but when she dismounted the bar stool to head for the kitchen, he was about to say something. But then . . .

BAM! THUD!

The front door flew open. Someone in the storm had tried to open the door, but the wind caught the door, wrenched it out of his hand, and slammed the door open so hard that the undead jakalope trophy that hung on the same wall fell from its hook and crashed to the ground. Every eye in the inn (except Gert's) turned to the cause of the ruckus.

"Mr. Mayor!" Tore shouted and rushed out from behind the bar to help the man wrestle the door shut against the wind.

"Hello!" the Mayor called out to the inn once the door was shut.

"Hello!" the inn patrons called back.

The Mayor was covered in snow and was wrapped head to toe in furs. Only his big nose stuck out prominently enough to see.

Edited by Butchern (see edit history)

Gert staggered through the door to the small kitchen that was just off the inn floor, opposite the main door. Clara was busy pouring water from a bucket into a large stew pot.

Clara was dressed like Gilly and the other northwomen in the inn—long woolen frock (green in Clara's case) over wool breeches (brown) and a linen blouse (white) and wool bodice (also brown). She had olive skin, raven hair, and delicate features with large brown eyes. Her hair was loosely wrapped in a scarlet scarf. Not a woman of the north in any way. She noticed Gert as she nearly fell through the door.

"Can I help you?" she said timidly, holding the pot aloft mid-pour.