Chapter 1 - The First Day of Pelor's Rest

Butchern

Gert ate her soup slowly but kept a lookout for Clara as surreptitiously as she could.

"This is really good soup," she said to no one in particular. Then to Celeg and Aron, "I've never been to the north, but I might have something in my books about dwarves and their mines. Maybe I should go look. Do you like this soup? It's just the best."

Clara continued to serve soup to anyone who wanted it. She did not look at Gert or pay her any mind at all save to unceremoniously put another bowl of soup down in front of her when hers was nearing empty.

The most of the newcomers to the inn were happy to meet the travelers and hear their tale of the caravan and blizzard. Some were more wary of the strangers, but didn't make a show of it.

On 12/27/2023 at 12:48 PM, matt_s said:

Any news of the town or particular festivities you are looking forward to?

Several of the older men were happy to share their stories of past Pelor's Rest festivities over a pint, and then it fell to the caravaners to share their favorite traditions as well.

Celeg drained his pint, ordered another, and shared his favorite.

My favorite traditions? Well, the way I see it, half the purpose of the festivities is to find merriment in a week deep within the cold and dark part of the year. So revelry that takes the nature of the season and turns it upon its head from a source of melancholy to a fountain of simple joy resonates the most with me.

To the end, and I'll get to the point now don't worry now, I have loved toboggan races, downhill and cross country alike, since I was but a small child. Well, I was a big child by common measure although I'm sure Tore would have me bested at each step of the way, but the point does stand. And I like to think that between riding the fields on a small pony in the growing season and careening over the hills in a toboggan in the winter, my horsemanship grew greatly.

Nothing like the rush of wind in your ears and the fresh sting of cold on your face, I say. Except perhaps the sight of your fellow tobogganers far in your wake.

But in a blizzard like this, there's nothing like a warm hearth and warmer pies and roast meats.

Aron nodded at Gert, "I would be interested in learning more if you have the knowledge. Maybe we can do something with it."

Aron smiled at Celeg's recollection of his toboggan races. He had his own fond memories of the festivities that came with Pelor's Rest. "I'm not sure how similar things are here in the north compared to the south, but my favorite tradition is the 'Bait, Bite, and Bow'. Where I am from you had to trap a rabbit, catch a trout, and hunt a hog all to be completed in the same day. Is that a thing in the north? I'm not sure how the fishing part would go..."

Aron knew ice fishing was a thing, but having never done it, he had no idea of how sporting it may be. "I never won it myself, nor have I been able to accomplish all three as I was only ever able to compete in my very young youth, but it was the most fun I have ever had...I think."

On 12/22/2023 at 6:52 PM, Butchern said:

Then to jackalope trophy.

"I don't know where the dwarves got that thing or why they left it with old Rufus—he's the previous owner. I would say it is some sort of farce, but there is a dwarven word for dire rabbits . . . can't think of it as the moment though. I would hate to meet one in rut."

Black metal that glows and whispers in the dark.

That doesn't sound ominous at all.

Seresse perks up at the mention of magic, though her chief interest lies with the tale of the trophy.

"Will Rufus say more of this?" she asks him in a low voice, as if shy. "I would pay him for his time. I love to explore such curiosities. Often, the truth of the fantastical lies in the telling."

When the others come in, Seresse shrinks more into herself, drawing her cloak tightly about her shoulders and raising her hood. Keen eyes not diluted by drink might note the way that she watches others eat the soup, which certainly looks delicious, smells so good—and surely turns to her ashes in her mouth.

On 12/29/2023 at 7:25 AM, matt_s said:

Celeg speaks quietly, the quiet of a somewhat private conversation but not the near silence of conspirators. The room was also

I wouldn't go so far as to say it's a plan to investigate, but it's always worth your while to look around and that seems a good place to look. And it is a sure wager for me to say that Seresse will second me on this matter. I will not speak on any others account for the purpose of life is to tread your own path as best you can.

I say if you aim to settle here and this is good country I add myself being a bit down the road from this selfsame place it will not hurt to see the surrounding environs.

"I do. There is much to discover here, it seems, even if I have to temper my...hopes." A strangely hollow word on her lips, yet she says it even so. There are mysteries here, and she will not rest—Pelor's or otherwise—until she understands them.

On 1/1/2024 at 7:26 AM, SirLoganofGilead said:

Aron smiled at Celeg's recollection of his toboggan races. He had his own fond memories of the festivities that came with Pelor's Rest. "I'm not sure how similar things are here in the north compared to the south, but my favorite tradition is the 'Bait, Bite, and Bow'. Where I am from you had to trap a rabbit, catch a trout, and hunt a hog all to be completed in the same day. Is that a thing in the north? I'm not sure how the fishing part would go..."

"This sounds wonderful, although I suspect I would let all three go. One tradition that I always liked was the Dance of Laden Boughs. We would climb trees after a heavy snowfall and challenge each other to stand as far as out on the tips of the branches as we could without jarring the snow loose. The higher you go, the thinner the branch. If you should snap the bough, you lose, of course, and face a fall of a hundred feet or more."

Realizing the company she keeps, Seresse's smile fades a little. "Though I supppose that is not possible here. We, um, also had races through the snow. Most ran atop it. Some found clever ways to win. I remember one year, I caught the tail of this giant fox and...oh. Do they have those around here, I wonder?"

"It sounds like you all had great childhoods," Gert said sadly. "I grew up at the Royal Academy. My dad was biiiiig scholar there." She waved her hands in exaggerated awe when she said "big."

Gert sat up straight and started speaking in a deep voice, impersonating her father. "Child, scholars don't have time for frivolities. We worship the Sun, but we don't honor him with silly games. We honor him by developing our minds."

She stuck our her tongue and made a silly noise. "Thhhhhppppptttt." Gert slumped back down in her chair. "I never got to do anything fun. But all of the Scholars in Residence did keep a Rest fire burning in a small brazier just outside their doors. I would wake up every morning very early to tend the coals. It was a veeeery important task. Very important."

Celeg nodded sagely as Gert spoke. I am certain that it was.

And as for your favorites, it takes a bolder man than me to hunt wild boar with naught but bow and arrow. Don't place your arrow true and you've just made 'em made. That's how we found out my ol' friend Ernest could climb trees so well. Got sick of cook's stew and now without good reason and decided to do some foraging and well the boar taught him the right of that.

That thing with the trees sounds terrifying although elves have their own sort of courage peculiar in some ways. A good race though, anyone can appreciate that.

7 hours ago, Blue Firebird said:

"Will Rufus say more of this?" she asks him in a low voice, as if shy. "I would pay him for his time. I love to explore such curiosities. Often, the truth of the fantastical lies in the telling."

"I don't think so. He's been dead for more than a year," Tore said.

The group talked for another hour about Pelor's Rest traditions. Many of the traditions the caravaners had grown up with were practiced in some form or other in Redbark. The Second Day tradition in Redbark was a ceremonial meal eaten by courses from house to house to house among friends, families, and neighbors. There was apparently a lot of showing off of cooking skills and family recipes involved in these meals, and the night ended in barn dances in several of the largest barns in town. It was a popular night to propose marriage.

With the snow piling up outside, the common room began to thin quickly as people made for home in the dark.

"Your rooms are ready when you are," Tore said. He was already beginning to clean tables and glasses. "Bar's open as long as yer drinkin'," he added, but it was clear that soon the caravaners would be the only ones in the common room.

I thank you kindly. It has been a long day on the road, and I do look forwards to the coming events. I will see you in the morning then.

To the others, he adds,

I'll probably be up fairly early, check on the horses and stretch my legs. Not in a particular rush, so feel free to get the day started when you wish.

On 1/2/2024 at 6:43 PM, Butchern said:

"I don't think so. He's been dead for more than a year," Tore said.

"Your rooms are ready when you are," Tore said. He was already beginning to clean tables and glasses. "Bar's open as long as yer drinkin'," he added, but it was clear that soon the caravaners would be the only ones in the common room.

"Oh." Seresse's face falls. That leaves one hope: exploring the ruins and camp. The Elf wavers briefly, but hardens her resolve. Even if the search for a "cure" is fruitless, such powers should be kept away from good folk like those of this little town.

Later, as much as she would like a drink, she realizes that there are other places she should be.

On 1/3/2024 at 5:05 PM, matt_s said:

I thank you kindly. It has been a long day on the road, and I do look forwards to the coming events. I will see you in the morning then.

To the others, he adds,

I'll probably be up fairly early, check on the horses and stretch my legs. Not in a particular rush, so feel free to get the day started when you wish.

Seresse bows lightly. "I look forward to the festivities as well. Celeg, I will check on the horses tonight, and meet you there in the morning. There is much to think about tonight."

Once everyone drifts apart, Seresse wanders outside to the barn. "Good evening, friends," she says quietly, retrieving a couple of carrots for each from her pack. She pats their heads and murmurs some Elvish words of warmth and comfort.

From there, the Elf walks outside to look at the sky and think, her cloak billowing in the wind. I hope that all are safe in this cold. The winter is a fierce one.

"I think I should sleep now too."

Gert slit off her stool, and her legs buckled beneath her. She caught herself on the table and tried to straighten up.

"Watch yourself, young miss," Tore said. "You'll crack your skull." The big man moved quickly through the maze of chairs and grabbed Gert gently by the arm, lifting her to her feet. "Clara! Clara! Come here, girl!"

Clara appeared at the door of the storeroom. "Yessir?"

"Help our young miss here up to her room."

"Yessir," she said quietly. She didn't look happy.

Clara locked arms with Gert and walked her slowly up the stairs and to the door of her room.

"This is your room," Clara said. She pushed open the door and walked Gert inside. She was planning on dumping her on the bed and leaving quickly.

As soon as they were inside the room, Gert tried to snatch the kerchief off Clara's head. "I knew it!" she blurted out, before even seeing what was under the Kerchief.

Posted (edited)

The modest bedrooms in the Blizzard were simple, yet they exuded a welcoming charm. The rooms all featured a basic, well-worn wooden bed with a plain canopy. The bed was dressed in practical linens. A small shuttered window was the only decoration adorning the wooden walls. In some of the rooms a writing desk sat beneath the window, accompanied by a functional wooden chair. In other rooms the desk was replaced with a more comfortable chair and footstool. The floors of the rooms were covered with timeworn and often repaired woven rugs. A modest fireplace provided the rooms with both warmth and light. On the nightstand beside the bed two candle holders with brass snuff was set out, but the candles were not lit.

1 hour ago, Caystodd said:

As soon as they were inside the room, Gert tried to snatch the kerchief off Clara's head. "I knew it!" she blurted out, before even seeing what was under the Kerchief.

Clara froze as the kerchief came off. Her dark hair was cropped short, not quite touching her shoulders, and two small rounded horns grew out of her head on either side. The nubs protruded through her hair just a few inches. The back of her neck was covered in dark spots. She was a devil spawn, no question.

Before Gert could react, Clara rushed forward and kissed Gert on the lips. It was just a little peck; their lips barely touched, but Gert felt her body go rigid. She was frozen. She couldn't move, she couldn't even blink. Clara looked at Gert and then to the door behind her. The girl looked ashamed of what she'd just done. But then resolve came over her face.

Clara stalked back to the door and quietly shut it. She retrieved her kerchief from Gert's frozen fingers and tied it back around her hair. With a great deal of huffing and puffing, Clara dragged Gert's rigid body over to the bed and pushed her down onto it.

"You couldn't leave well enough alone, could you? You are going to get me found out, and that will get me killed . . . or worse. You made me do this. I didn't want to."

Clara lifted Gert's feet and pushed them onto the bed as well. Then she climbed up beside Gert and straddled her on the bed so that her face was directly over Gert's. She pulled on the bottom of Gert's jaw hard, so her mouth came open. And then Clara slowly let a long string of spit fall from her mouth into Gert's. The saliva burned in Gert's mouth, and it tasted like sulfur.

"I didn't want to do this," she repeated. "But now you have to do whatever I say, and this is what I say: Do not tell anyone what you saw in here tonight. Ever. If you let this go, pretend this never happened, and leave me alone, I will leave you alone. And I won't make you do anything horrible to yourself. Now sleep."

Gert immediately fell asleep and didn't wake until morning.

Edited by Butchern (see edit history)

Celeg was up with the dawn. Which was not that early near the winter solstice. Celeg thought that the preponderance of winter festivals everywhere he had traveled had a common uniting thread - the necessity of making your own joy and comfort in the long dark months. Faith for Celeg was a year round endeavour but he could not fail the prayers being all the more strenuous as the cold winds blew on.

He passed by the common room and exchanged a brief word of greeting to the cooks who had also gotten an early start to the day.

Holiday's greetings, he said. I'll just go check on the horses and then if you have any breakfast I'd be very grateful. No need to go to overmuch trouble on my account though. You've done more than enough for us the other day.

In the stable, Greenleaves seemed to be in good spirits. Warm and dry lodgings were enjoyed by beast as much as man. Beasts tended to talk quite a bit though. With a practiced routine, Celeg ran through all the necessary daily care for his steed and the packhorses. The familiar smell of the animals was something like home and Celeg thought that as much as horses were meant to be ridden it seemed that man was as much meant to ride them. He was of the opinion that the value of a horse was not in beauty or in ability to haul a plow or to charge on the battlefield but in their ability to journey across the land bearing a rider in the saddle no matter weather or terrain.

Once all seemed in order in the stable, he proceeded to the common room for breakfast.

On 1/2/2024 at 9:24 PM, matt_s said:

And as for your favorites, it takes a bolder man than me to hunt wild boar with naught but bow and arrow. Don't place your arrow true and you've just made 'em made. That's how we found out my ol' friend Ernest could climb trees so well. Got sick of cook's stew and now without good reason and decided to do some foraging and well the boar taught him the right of that.

"I believe the smartest elders actually climbed the tree before firing their arrows...but they won't admit that."

Once the pleasantries were over Aron made a pretty quick move to his room. He didn't waste time getting into his small clothes and climbing into bed. He was tired. He was up early, but unlike Celeg, he had no interest in checking on mounts or doing any morning chores. He had done plenty of those things in his time in the service. He wasn't opposed to hard work, but he was at an Inn...it was time for not doing things. He made his way to the common room quite early and did a better job of looking about this time. He heard Celeg pass and go, but decided he would just wait for the man to come back before greeting him.

"Morning Celeg. Any idea what it is you would want to be checking out today?"