Star Trek Adventures: Two questions for the perspective players.

DecoyGirl

6 hours ago, Inquisitor D said:

Wait... there's the Constitution class, the Constitution III class... was there not a Constitution II?

*checks*

Ah, interregnum between the two, replaced around the 2350s by the Excelsior Class.

(And yes, very pretty ship. :) )

You know, all this talk has me curious. Would this ship be newly commissioned, a fresh crew going out for their first ever voyage together? Or would it be more... not veteran, but established? They've done a few years together, everyone knows each other already.

Well that is also a good question.

The short answer on the crew is that the idea is going to be.

They are a established crew who are being moved from one ship that is being decommissioned to another ship (Either newly refitted, or a Actually new ship)
But the new ship is larger and requires a larger crew. So the players can either be new to the crew or established.

As far as the ship goes.
I am starting to lean more to the idea of a new built ship that is either a Ship I am just going to need to stat out myself (Not hard)
OR... A refit Excelsior. Which would be the largest ship I'm going to give them.
So old ship but a refit Excelsior is statistically as good as anything else it's size new off the stardock.

Enterprise Class comes from Scotties Guide from back in the day I believe, and apart from a brief appearance in Best of Both Worlds, we don't see a Connie in the TNG era. If you want a ship from that era an Excelsior, Miranda or Constellation is a better option.

Another way to look at NPC Captains is that unless you're planning A plot on planet and B plot in space the Captains not going to be in most adventures (unless they go all Kirk obs).

*chants* "Go Kirk! Go Kirk! Go Kirk!" :)

To more seriously elabourate on my earlier thought, if you've got an NPC Captain in the wings, I feel it lowers the tension a bit. You've got a powerful allied NPC waiting in the wings who can bascially command the ship. Any PC officers should have subordinates who can back up the Captain. By contrast, if you've got a PC Captain willing to get involved more directly, they're more 'a part of the group', ready to head down with the rest of the cast and we can figure all our replacements aren't in as good a position to back us up.

Just my take though. I get some folks aren't as inclined towards 'Kirkism', and I can admit that it's got the potential to get a little silly. I just feel it's the most 'PC Party' like dynamic.

Edited by Inquisitor D (see edit history)

2 minutes ago, Inquisitor D said:

I just feel it's the most 'PC Party' like dynamic.

I'd argue it really varies with the group - everyone responding to this thread seems to be on the same page as each other about having a PC Captain - so it'd totally work. With my usual group? There's be silence as everyone tried to avoid (or pretend to avoid) the responsibility only for one of the usual suspects to take the role 'because someone has to' and then ride roughshod over everyone elses feelings/intentions/plans/whatever....

8 minutes ago, Heretic Burger said:

I'd argue it really varies with the group - everyone responding to this thread seems to be on the same page as each other about having a PC Captain - so it'd totally work. With my usual group? There's be silence as everyone tried to avoid (or pretend to avoid) the responsibility only for one of the usual suspects to take the role 'because someone has to' and then ride roughshod over everyone elses feelings/intentions/plans/whatever....

In my IRL games I have run/done it both ways.
It's not even really normally a matter of one or the other working better, it's just what the party is up to.

It does sound like an Excelsior might fit. However, could always come up with info for an Odyssey-Class ship (Enterprise-F's class. :) )

spacer.png

Which, as a benefit, there's a write-up on it for STA in the Utopia Planetia book. It is Scale 7, so if want something smaller there's also the Vesta class which is scale 6 (also in UP book) (image by Enethrin on DeviantArt)

spacer.png

Edited by Laird_Thorne (see edit history)

6 hours ago, Laird_Thorne said:

It does sound like an Excelsior might fit. However, could always come up with info for an Odyssey-Class ship (Enterprise-F's class. :) )

spacer.png

Which, as a benefit, there's a write-up on it for STA in the Utopia Planetia book. It is Scale 7, so if want something smaller there's also the Vesta class which is scale 6 (also in UP book) (image by Enethrin on DeviantArt)

spacer.png

I love the oddy. I think she's legit the prettiest star ship anyone has ever made.

She's also a Size 7 brute of a ship in STA.
I like the Vesta also.
But again I am more aiming for something Size 5.
MAYBE size 4 or 6.

On 12/12/2023 at 5:43 PM, Laird_Thorne said:

Well, at size 5 there's the Niagara. an interesting looking ship. :)

spacer.png

and at Size 4, there's the Cheyenne, spiritual successor to the Constellation. :)

spacer.png

Just throwing out ideas. :)

Ya I had considered the Cheyenne actually.
It's stats are not great of a exploration ship but you could make it work.