Dax Thura

"I am Regnart Seht and my name is a reflection of my true self."

image.png.d88803d9df69e5ab13d23a27e68c17ba.png

Name: Regnart Seht

Species: Human

Class: Soldier, Qi Adpet Fighting Style, Ascetic Warrior

Archetype: Mediator

Theme: Themeless

Myth Sheet | Hephaistos Sheet (With Ability Descriptions)

image.png.ed3c8343dcaddd10d5accffdebd544cf.png

Backstory: He was one of many children acquired by a secretive and clandestine organization known only as [REDACTED]. He was acquired as a test subject for an experimental program designed to develop special abilities based on research into the human spirit and other supernatural sources. He and the many other acquired test subjects were subjected to specialized experimentation and augmentation. He was one of the lucky few to survive these early stages of the program. Furthermore, he even began to develop the special abilities they were trying to cultivate with this program. In the next stages of the program, he endured strict military training and extreme conditioning that prioritized applying these special abilities for a modern-day battlefield.

In the end he was deemed ready for active duty. On his first mission, he and the rest of his squad seized the opportunity to turn on their handlers and escape captivity. The group worked together for many months, evading [REDACTED] agents. They stayed on the run until finally they were able to secure the funds and connections, they needed to create false identities for themselves. From there, they went their separate ways out into the universe. He spent a few years keeping a low profile, but what little funds he had left began to run thin. Now he seeks to utilize his special abilities and skills in any lucrative opportunities he can find.

Personality: He is not an angel of pure good, nor a devil of pure evil. instead, he is something more. He is human. He has both good and evil in his soul and both love and hatred in his heart. By accepting both and denying himself neither, he can achieve true balance. To those he loves, he is polite and kind. To those he hates, he is cruel and vindictive. At his best, he is good to most people because it is just more convenient to be that way. This kind of behavior garners favor and is conducive to a stable and peaceful lifestyle. At his worst, he will overindulge in some of the darker aspects of the human spirit. He enjoys the suffering of his enemies entirely too much and he prefers to crush them with his bare hands. He values efficiency and effectivity. He loves to pursue and push his own limits. He believes that one does not master art, but instead only refines their mastery over their skills. With this mindset, he actively pursues his martial arts training alongside his special ability to manifest his spirit in battle. He prefers a quiet evening at home with close friends to a loud party of strangers. He still tries his best to maintain a low profile to avoid gaining the attention of [REDACTED].

image.png.2a61c6e5f074ea5e676571236ccabbb6.png

Edited by The Stranger (see edit history)

spacer.png Lavina

HP: 58/58
Stamina: 63/63
Resolve: 10/10
EAC/KAC: 18/18

Fort +5, Reflex +8, Will +12

Espraksa Mystic
[Character Sheet Here]

For my own reference

Theme Features
Theme KnowledgeYou have read and studied much in your eagerness to learn about and experience new cultures, and you often know about them before you encounter them. Reduce the DC of Culture checks to recall knowledge about a culture’s customs and related topics by 5. In addition, whenever you take a rank in Culture, you learn to speak and read two new languages instead of one. Culture is a class skill for you, though if it is a class skill from the class you take at 1st level, you instead gain a +1 bonus to Culture checks. In addition, you gain an ability adjustment of +1 to Charisma at character creation.
Compelling InfluenceYou understand a variety of social cues and are quick to take advantage of them when you interact with others. When you exceed the DC of a Diplomacy check to improve a creature’s attitude by 5 or more, you need to spend only 1 extra minute interacting with the creature to improve its attitude by one additional category. In addition, you worsen a creature’s attitude only if you fail the Diplomacy check to improve its attitude by 10 or more.

Race Features
Espraksa MovementEspraksas have a land speed of 30 feet and an extraordinary fly speed of 30 feet with average maneuverability.
Cold InuredAn espraksa treats severe cold as cold and extreme cold as severe cold.
EmpathicEspraksas gain a +2 racial bonus to Diplomacy and Sense Motive checks. They take a –2 penalty to saving throws against mind-affecting effects, but the DC of any mind-affecting effect they create is increased by 1.
MulticulturalEsprakas learn an additional language for every even-numbered rank gained in the Culture skill.
Natural WeaponsEspraksa are always considered armed. They can deal 1d3 lethal piercing damage with unarmed strikes and the attack doesn’t count as archaic. Espraksas gain a unique weapon specialization with their natural weapons at 3rd level, allowing them to add 1-1/2 × their character level to their damage rolls with their natural weapons (instead of just adding their character level, as usual).
SnatchThis functions as the grab universal creature rule, except the espraksa must hit with two talon attacks during the same turn to grab. Only one talon must hit the target’s KAC + 4 (or + 13) to trigger the free grab (or pin), but both must hit.

Class Features
ConnectionYou have a mysterious connection with some force that grants you magical powers. The exact nature of your connection can vary widely, and even mystics who share the same connection may interpret it differently. You must pick one connection upon taking your first level of mystic—once made, this choice can’t be changed. Connections you can choose from begin on page 85.

Many mystics serve as priests of various gods, and while you can theoretically choose any type of connection with any entity or concept, deities rarely grant connections that don’t fit within their ethos (for example, Weydan, the god of freedom, is unlikely to look kindly on overlords). As such, each connection lists the deities and philosophies commonly associated with it.
- Xenoambassador
Natural LinguistIf you don’t share a language with creatures you encounter, you and the creatures can spend 10 minutes attempting to converse (if they’re willing), after which you can communicate basic concepts (such as “friendly,” “dangerous,” or “need help”), though you can’t understand one another’s exact words. At 6th level, if you exceed the Culture check DC by 10 or more, you can create a pidgin language allowing you to engage in basic conversations.
While communicating with a creature using any language you speak proficiently other than Common, your racial language, or the language of your home planet, your channel skill ability’s insight bonus to Diplomacy checks to influence that creature increases by 2.

Diplomatic ImmunityYou gain a +3 bonus to your AC and saving throws against any creature who can speak a language or communicate telepathically. Such creatures can sense this special defense before choosing you as the target of their attack. This protection ends at the end of your first turn in combat or once you perform a harmful action against another creature, whichever happens first. As a standard action before this ability ends, you can extend its duration by 1 round.
Forceful DirectiveAs a standard action, you can issue a powerful command, which functions as the spell command, to a living creature within 30 feet; you can use this ability a number of times per day equal to your Wisdom modifier.. When you use this ability, you can reduce the effect’s saving throw DC by 2 to ignore its language-dependent descriptor. Once a creature successfully saves against this ability, it’s immune to the ability for 24 hours.
Xenoambassador's EyeYou gain a +1 insight bonus to AC against creatures with whom you share at least one language or pidgin language. Such creatures don’t gain any bonuses to attack rolls against you from flanking you. As a swift action, you can spend 1 Resolve Point to make such creatures flat-footed against your attacks until the beginning of your next turn.
Connection SpellsYour connection grants you additional spells known, one for each level of mystic spell you can cast, starting at 1st level and at any level when you normally gain access to a new spell level. These spells are in addition to the spells known listed on Table 4–6: Mystic Spells Known. These spells can’t be exchanged for different spells at higher levels (except in specific cases; see below). The spell level of each spell is listed in your connection’s entry.

If your connection lists a single variable-level spell (see page 330) for all spell levels at the start of its spells entry, you gain that variable-level spell when you first get your connection spell for each level. The next time you gain a connection spell, add the next higher level of the variable-level spell to your list of spells known. You immediately lose the lower-level version of that variable-level spell and replace it with the listed connection spell for that lower level.

Healing TouchOnce per day, you can spend 10 minutes to magically heal an ally up to 5 Hit Points per mystic level.
Channel SkillYou draw strange feelings, instincts, knowledge, and urges from your connection, augmenting your prowess in certain tasks. Each connection has two skills associated with it. You gain a +1 insight bonus to skill checks with your connection’s associated skills. This bonus increases by 1 at 5th level and every 3 levels thereafter.
MindlinkYou can form a mental link with creatures you touch, communicating information rapidly through it. You can use mindlink at will as a spell-like ability, though only once per day on any given individual.
Weapon SpecializationYou gain Weapon Specialization as a bonus feat for each weapon type this class grants you proficiency with.

Feats
Skill SynergyChoose two skills. These skills become class skills for you. If one or both were already class skills, you gain a +2 insight bonus to those skill checks instead.

You can take this feat multiple times. Its effects don’t stack. Each time you take it, it applies to two different skills.
(Acrobatics & Life Science)
ToughnessFor every character level you have (and whenever you gain a new level), you gain 1 Stamina Point. In addition, you gain a +4 bonus to Constitution checks to continue running, to avoid damage from a forced march, to hold your breath, and to avoid damage from starvation or thirst. You also gain a +4 bonus to Fortitude saving throws to avoid taking damage from hot or cold environments, to withstand the harmful effects of thick and thin atmospheres, to avoid choking when breathing in heavy smoke, and to avoid fatigue caused by sleep deprivation.
Great FortitudeYou gain a +2 bonus to Fortitude saving throws.
Lightning ReflexesYou gain a +2 bonus to Reflex saving throws.
Adaptive CastingSelect three spells from class spell lists you can cast spells from. They must be at least 1 level lower than the highest spell level you can cast. Once per day, you can cast one of these spells as a spell-like ability. Each time you gain a caster level, you can change which three spells you have selected with this feat.

I would appreciate some advice on what feats to take, what gear to buy, etc.

Edited by Eagleheart (see edit history)

My advice is to imagine or even setup a mock battle on your own and test what it's like to actually play. What actions would you take and how they might reasonably play out.

Make a simple level 1 character. Pick some feats that look good or don't pick any. Then see what you feel like you are missing and look for any feats that will give you what you want.

For my first character, I actually setup a mock battle before my first session, teaching myself how to make encounters while using some stock space goblins. I had a lot of fun with it, and I learned a lot. I love playing melee characters and I noticed right away that enemies with guns don't make it easy to be a melee character. One of the things I noticed I needed was speed to reach the enemy. Flight is also pretty important because you can't just shoot at flying targets if you're a melee focused character. Beyond speed, moving into melee also means you likely can't take cover, so survivability was also important to me. If I didn't find ways to boost these two aspects, I would spend most of the fight hiding behind cover, trying to get close enough to be useful. Which was not fun.

If combat isn't fun for you, then try to find out why. Then build your character to address the problem so combat is fun for you. It would have been a lot easier to just buy a gun and shoot from behind cover. Very easy to max those numbers, but I wanted to be an unarmed fighter in starfinder, so that's what I aimed to build. The mock battle taught me right away what I was lacking and what I would need. That was what was most fun for me. Try to find what is fun for you and what you need to make sure it is actually as fun as you hope it will be.

I only did it once. Since then, I've played in lots of different encounters. I even DMd some stuff, trying out vehicle combat, starship combat, zero G, and even underwater combat. I never dm'd a mech game, but I've played with mechs.

The first battle, it was in a baseball stadium filled with goblin huts. So the terrain had lots of elevation changes. Just trying to jump the 5ft gaps between the hut rooftops was painful with my first build.

• 2 weeks later...