Scenario 1 Discussion

Bobcloclimar

We've been quite lucky again!

The only issue I see is where failing to bring the fight closer to the Thunderbolt, which cannot bring its weapons to bear. But the opportunity for rear arracks will be more tempting than drawing them north..

Also those OpFor mechs might be stationary because they seem to have been creating a lot of heat. Princess might be trying to ease up...

I'll wait for the runners to post before making my move.

Edited by Tecmes (see edit history)

Nah, the only one of those that might be running any heat is the Banshee, because I can't find any data on that variant. Princess is being uncharacteristically unagressive. I'd thought for sure the AI would move in for physical combat, otherwise I would've advocated for a less daring approach last round.

This round we're going to have to pull back, because Cirlot is overheated and unless bob took the initiative and turned my heat sinks back on for me, not only do I have no heat capacity for weapons, but I need to figure out how to extricate myself from short range on only walk MPs. FML

Running behind the Banshee to hatchet its rear is quite tempting..

After considering a gazillion approaches, I'm going for a setup move for next turn. Also I'll be able to shoot either the Caesar or Axman with good odds.

Phoenix T3 move

Run to 1914, facing S (yes, South).

We could still potentially play this aggressively, even with my heat problems - while my weapons fire is gonna be light this turn if I jump to 1115 I can unload 2 MLs into the corsairs back and then make a push attack, attempting to force a fall and a domino into the Ceasar.   Defensively I'd get a +4 modifier (+2 for  moving 5 hexes, +1 for jumping, +1 for light woods)  Corsair would be 9 up to hit with arm weapons after a torso twist and everyone else would be stuck with arm weapons only at 7+ (more if the Corsair's hex is also wooded . . .).  Would keep the pressure on while the heavies get brought up, I'd sink 11 heat more than I generate and I'd probably even live to see next turn.  

Probably.

Alternatively if we want to disengage fully the safest option for me is to Jump to 2115 - puts multiple light woods between me and the opposition, nets the same +3 movement bonus and adds even more range and terrain into the mix.

Given you all have been pretty patient with me going fangs out from turn one, seems only fair to put this one up to a vote - is the preference for the Starslayer to fall back or charge in?

Pushing is fun, but you need two hands and the base STY has only one, the other being the big laser. Also because there is only one level difference, it doesn't qualify for a fall, and it would prevent the push altogether (not the piloting check).

Firing at the back would be fun, but not on the Banshee, which has very thick rear armour. Anyway, you'd probably end up dead metal even with the def bonusses.

Certainly don't go right behind the Banshee. It has a hatchet in its LA and can torso-twist to strike behind itself. For 19 damage. Also the Caesar has twin rear-facing MPLs.

If you go that way another option is going to 1117 or thereabouts. Some woods plus elevation and jumping would be defensively decent and you may still try a bit of rear-firing (maybe on the Caesar, which has weak rear armour. Gotta check the lines...). But the STY hasn't the best close-range weapon array...

So yeah if I were you I'd GTFO and cool down.

18 hours ago, Tecmes said:

Running behind the Banshee to hatchet its rear is quite tempting..

No it isn't. There is way too much tonnage standing in tight formation to even consider a single light backstab. Especially one that can't even shoot. Plus, if I get behind them, the enemy will probably mill about in place, instead of getting into effective range of the heavies like we want them to.

2 hours ago, Tecmes said:

Pushing is fun, but you need two hands and the base STY has only one, the other being the big laser. Also because there is only one level difference, it doesn't qualify for a fall, and it would prevent the push altogether (not the piloting check).

Firing at the back would be fun, but not on the Banshee, which has very thick rear armour. Anyway, you'd probably end up dead metal even with the def bonusses.

Certainly don't go right behind the Banshee. It has a hatchet in its LA and can torso-twist to strike behind itself. For 19 damage. Also the Caesar has twin rear-facing MPLs.

If you go that way another option is going to 1117 or thereabouts. Some woods plus elevation and jumping would be defensively decent and you may still try a bit of rear-firing (maybe on the Caesar, which has weak rear armour. Gotta check the lines...). But the STY hasn't the best close-range weapon array...

So yeah if I were you I'd GTFO and cool down.

The only actuators pushing cares about are shoulders. Even a Locust can effectively push, somehow. I agree with the rest of this post though. Pull back to the woods, cool off, and draw them forward.

Edited by Demented (see edit history)

Yeah I realized later than backstabbing would be foolish as well. That Caesar basckside is tempting for shooting, though... Our attacks on it have been succesful, but that LA only contains a MPL (though it could transfer to the Gauss in the LT)...

37 minutes ago, Demented said:

The only actuators pushing cares about are shoulders.

Ah yes my bad, it says "both arms", not hands or whatever. In fact the shoulder actuator thing mentions damaged actuators, not missing ones, but at some point I guess no shoulder actuator means no arms...

So what will the Scarabus do?

That depends on how many heat sinks I have to work with. If 1, I'm pulling back to 1909. If 10, I'm looping around to 1710.

3 hours ago, Excior said:

I will stay put unless my wingman moves forward then I will follow.

stay put and shoot LRMS at the same target as last round.

This is the round you may want to start considering going hull-down behind that hill. The distracting light units are pulling back, so you can expect an uptick in the firepower heading your way.

Eh, I was admittedly less concerned about the hatchet for the simple reason that I can occasionally be an idiot.  Knew the Axman had one, utterly forgot the Banshee did. Plus the potential havoc of Mechs falling into each other pell-mell via the domino displacement was rather enticing . . . Anyway, message received and orders acknowledged!

Turn 3 - Cirlot - Operation GTFO

Jumping to 2115, facing SW/Hex 2015.

Edited by Cirlot (see edit history)

. . . I'm not saying Jasper got kicked from the MAF for kicking the digits on an artillery strike but, well, it would fit the pattern of my past few posts at this point! 😑

You are correct and the original post has been corrected. Ending hex is 2115.

Edited by Cirlot (see edit history)