Scenario 1 Discussion

Bobcloclimar

Right now two of us have declared for 1912 and unless I'm mistaken, Mechs can't stack - do we want the Scarabus to take the slot and start in with medium lasers and have me reposition for a direct assault or . . . ?

14 hours ago, Bobcloclimar said:

Is this from 1914-1911 to 2011, with final facing SW?

That would be back to 1913, back to 1912, face SW, then back to 2011.

13 hours ago, Cirlot said:

Right now two of us have declared for 1912 and unless I'm mistaken, Mechs can't stack - do we want the Scarabus to take the slot and start in with medium lasers and have me reposition for a direct assault or . . . ?

Well funny story my image zoom wasn't of good quality. When I said "1912 is good" I meant hex 1812. 1912 has a forest more in the way and of course, 1 more hex away.

I have the same problem with the original image; I think there's some coincidental interaction between the forest, the hex label and the compression algo that makes the 1812 look a lot like 1912. Based on @Demented's move order, I think he would end up in 1812, and @Cirlot in 1912.

Edit: It looks like everyone has declared. Once the 1912/1812 hexes are clarified, I can move forward to the shooting phase tomorrow instead of waiting another day, if that's OK with everyone.

Edited by Bobcloclimar (see edit history)

EDIT: Sorry, I thought I miscalculated the MP which I did but I screwed up correcting it. Rather than rehash this move AGAIN to try and fix my screw up I'm fine with declared end state of 1912 N. I'll try and math (and read the map better) next time: Please ignore the prior version of this post 😑

Cirlot - Firing Phase - Turn 4

AlphaStrike.png.30a823a08a8c68477b1f96eaf025602e.png

On the Corsair - 2 LL, 2 ML, 1 SRM 4, 1 SL.

Edited by Cirlot
Brain no Math Gud (see edit history)

Because why not, I'm following Cirlot's lead and declaring fire as the Opfor's fire shouldn't make a difference:

Phoenix T4 fire

Both MPL and one ERLL on Corsair.

If I Alpha I'm going to roll for shutdown...

Also: I support the idea to set fire to the woods where the pack stands. I don't have TO and I can't remember which weapons are best, namely are pulse better for that?

All energy weapons are the same for fire setting purposes, except the flamer which is obviously better and micro and non-pulse small lasers, which can't be used. But since none of them are in woods, setting fire might just give them smoke cover, which'll make them even less likely to move. @BobcloclimarWhich way is the wind blowing?

Also, I'm moving to 1812 by way of 1607>1508>1511>1812, not 1809, in order to keep the TMM up.

T4 Demented weapon attack

Alpha strike the Corsair.

1 hour ago, Demented said:

All energy weapons are the same for fire setting purposes, except the flamer which is obviously better and micro and non-pulse small lasers, which can't be used. But since none of them are in woods, setting fire might just give them smoke cover, which'll make them even less likely to move. @BobcloclimarWhich way is the wind blowing?

The Banshee is - I had to check the original pre-game map to confirm but the Banshee is in 1214 which is a Level 1 Light Wooded Hex. Not sure if it'll actually do much: I think it's +5 heat for ending a move in a burning hex, but I'm not sure how else to pry Princess loose from the wooded highground here. She's turtling up and playing a game of TurretTech which given the way her mechs outweigh ours isn't the worst plan.

EDIT: Also wondering if Princess auto loosing initiative is maybe causing the behavior - the pace of play I'm used to sees a kind of ebb and flow of aggressive moves based on who wins initiative so it's possible by constantly having to go first Princess is just defaulting to a defensive posture.

Nah. I've played against Princess with individual initiative and modifiers stacked heavily in my favor and it didn't do this-enemies would happily gather around units that had yet to come up in the turn order and be left gawking at open air when I move it away.

I suspect either Princess has gotten a major behavioral tweak since my last AtB campaign (it's been over a year), or the -1 stand still modifiers are skewing the AI's damage calculation enough to curb Princess's usual aggression. Either way, I don't like it.

Turn 4 shooting phase is up. I only need @Inash's input, but the rest of you are free to change your minds if you wish.

I'm planning on having the Archer fire both LRMs at the Corsair and then SRMs at the Peregrine (which is 11+ to-hit, so they're not likely to land). Do you think I should try to NARC it as well (also 11+)?

Go for it. I don't think we'll need 12 rounds of NARC ammo for the 'Mechs. And hilariously, there's no exemption to the MP loss for rotor hits if the weapon deals no damage.

New life goal: Immobilize a VTOL with frag missiles.

Inash T4 shooting

LRM and lrg laser at corair (or axeman if the corsair is down before it’s his turn to shoot)

1 med laser and SRM at the peregrine

Turn 5 movement phase is up. Shooting was a bit more equal this turn - the Starslayer took a hefty chunk (23 pts) of damage but managed to stay upright, while the Corsair was knocked down briefly.

Princess is starting to move out, but is spending a lot of MP turning and only moved a couple hexes. If you guys think this is still not far enough forward to be interesting, I can try to force the issue with a reverted save.