[Interest] The One Ring 1st Edition

8 minutes ago, Spacesong said:

Why the preference toward 1e? Just a matter of what you have/folks familiarity with the older edition?

Yes, mostly. I have played around with 2e a bit and I thought it was pretty good too, and I am still using Strider Mode to familiarise myself further. I think it streamlines some of 1e's more crunchy/dice-heavy mechanics, which is a plus. But otherwise:

• I have a slight preference for how Hope and Traits work in 1e, which make the system (in my opinion) somewhat more narrative by enabling more paths to success for skill rolls.
  • I love the art in 1e (the artist is my favourite in the industry) though 2e's is pretty good too.
  • I prefer the setting of Wilderland over Eriador.

That being said, I think 2e has also made some interesting innovations, such as "stealing" the concept of adventure sites from Forbidden Lands, another very good Free League RPG. I just haven't had the time to explore in depth. But I hear that the new campaign and sourcebook (tales from the lone lands / ruins of the lost realm) are pretty good. It's just that I haven't found the time to look into them yet.

• 3 weeks later...