[Interest] The One Ring 1st Edition

As a huge TOR fan, I would love to see more games on the Weave. First edition, second edition-it doesn't matter for me, both are great!

I lack the time or energy to commit to another game right now, but I'd love to quietly lurk and observe how another GM (Loremaster?) would run things!

7 minutes ago, Choomie said:

I've always wanted to play TOR. I'm yet to experience either edition, but if there's a game open, I'd really like a chance to participate.

Do you have any of the books for the game?

There's a great character creator for TOR and I played two different games (not long, sadly they both died) and loved both of them and my characters. I do have a flock of first edition PDFs but have not been able to get second... Good thing this is going to be 1e :) (assuming I applied)

I'd love to run Oaths of the Riddermark one day, but I still need to finish Tales from Wilderland, and at the current rate it will take my group another two years at least to finish the remaining adventures. To say nothing of Darkening of Mirkwood, which is a beast of a campaign.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, cailano said:

@Vladim this thread probably isn't the place but I'd love to hear your take on the differences between a D&D campaign and a One Ring campaign. Not just mechanically but thematically.

That's probably too broad a question, esp. because there's tons of D&D editions... so it depends on the edition in question. In a nutshell, and in my (probably biased) experience/opinion, 5e always ends up being power fantasy (even when used to support another "genre" like horror; the mechanics and most 5e player attitudes always "pull" it in the power fantasy direction).

TOR is a bit of a strange beast: it's a hyperspecialized system that's meant to do one thing, and one thing only: support through its mechanics the kind of stories that are thematically like Tolkien's (set in Middle-Earth at very specific times and places). The stories themselves end up pretty grounded, but still hopeful and somewhat heroic, though definitely not superheroes like 5e. I think TOR mostly succeeds, but again, I am biased: I quite like TOR. Not everyone does, though.

This is definitely tongue in cheek, and definitely oversimplified, but it may give you the hint of an answer:

spacer.png

21 minutes ago, Spacesong said:

What are the big differences between 1e and 2e? I am only familiar with the recent Free League release with all the Martin Grip art.

Small but substantial, and many.

Some of the biggest are traits, hope and attributes: they all work quite differently in 1e. But there's tons of small differences on top of those. I think there's a document summarising all differences... somewhere. I can perhaps try to track it down if you really-really want it.

And the settings is different: 2e is Eriador circa 2965, I think, whereas 1e is Wilderland about 2945 (and there's a campaign in Eriador and another in Rohan, too-but most of the products are around Wilderland).

22 minutes ago, Vladim said:

Small but substantial, and many.

Some of the biggest are traits, hope and attributes: they all work quite differently in 1e. But there's tons of small differences on top of those. I think there's a document summarising all differences... somewhere. I can perhaps try to track it down if you really-really want it.

And the settings is different: 2e is Eriador circa 2965, I think, whereas 1e is Wilderland about 2945 (and there's a campaign in Eriador and another in Rohan, too-but most of the products are around Wilderland).

Why the preference toward 1e? Just a matter of what you have/folks familiarity with the older edition?