Little Trouble in Big Absalom

"EEP!"

Drizzle did not take the appearance of fungus kindly, immediately hiding behind his shield. Something about its appearance...

However as Shroom placated it with an offering, the kobold eased somewhat. "G-greetings, Shroomperson... We are of Hookclaw clan, looking for treasure and danger. Do you know of any that dwell here?"

HrrooomShroomSporetongue.jpeg.a5ac7713059b75664b87ffd18965ec33.jpeg

Shroom | HP 18/18 | AC 17 | Speed 30'

Condition channeling

Cooldowns Ocean's Balm: Tulki 9min

Durations none

Narration | 'Thoughts' | "Speech"

Hrroo'om continues feeding and watering the fungus, but does not yet proceed into any of the unexplored rooms. While he does so, he speaks with the fungus leshy. "Most animals, you say? What kind of animals come through here? With your forewarning we will be better equipped to eradicate them once and for all so you can be very safe here with your family, yes indeed."

Actions
  • Base Kinesis -> Generate (Water)
  • Base Kinesis -> Generate (Wood)

Edited by Xiadais
Reduced cooldown on Ocean's Balm on Tulki (assuming) (see edit history)

"Some glowing bugs tried to eat us, and there are some weird dogs down that way," says the leshy, pointing to the south. "At least I think they're dogs. They look like dogs, but they smell wrong."

Condition channeling

Cooldowns Ocean's Balm: Tulki 9min

Durations none

Narration | 'Thoughts' | "Speech"

Shroom croaks nervously. "Odd smelling dogs? That is... concerning. However, I believe we took care of the glowing bugs already. Thank you sharing your knowledge with us. Anything of note beyond these fungal doors?" He hands the leshy a larger chunk of wood to nibble on.

Turning to the south, Shroom stands in place and blinks for a while. He speaks to his partners. "A girl's voice from the south. Dogs-or-not to the south. Hmm..."

Actions

fotor-ai-20240115223357.jpg.bd32ba93c66cc4d97a6ab77d9293ef7c.jpg

Tulki| HP 9/15 | AC 17 | Speed 25'

Condition: None

Tulki's heard of leshies, and they've never sounded that scary, relative to lots of the other things he's heard of. He's pleased that Shroom has taken the lead in talks, but feels comfortable enough to join in. Besides, his curiosity has been piqued.

Weird dogs? Could you describe them more? Have you seen them?

If they're dogs who speak like little girls? That should really narrow it down...

Actions

"Yeah, I've seen them - and ran away from them. They're not very nice. They look like regular dogs, but the way they move is weird." The leshy makes a shrug-like gesture.

"Here - this is some stuff that has been lying around here for a while. I'm sure you can make better use of it than I can."

Loot

Light hammer
Hatchet
Backpack
Bedroll
Fishing tackle
Artisan’s tools
50 feet of rope
Repair kit

As you continue to the south, the gigantic hallway opens into another chamber to the east. Crates and furniture are stacked against the walls, atop which sit dusty games and an old, ugly duck toy. An enormous taxidermic alligator sits motionless beneath a gaming table, while three taxidermic dogs - decidedly not motionless - immediately move to attack.

(My apologies, I've been slacking off a bit... ah well... roll initiative!)

Map

spacer.png

Name
Dogs initiative
1d20+7 14

Condition channeling

Cooldowns none

Durations Timber Sentinel 10round 10/10HP

Hrroo'om looks over the loot. He doesn't think he'll immediately be able to make use of any of it, so he just leaves it to the others for now. Maybe when this is all over they can split it evenly.

He stares at the alligator for a while, making sure it isn't going to start moving, but then notices the moving dogs. "Oh dear, here we go again. Good thing being skilled in combat were sent in here first..."

Actions

I never mentioned it since he hadn't set off in any direction yet, but I was planning for Shroom to repeatedly spawn mushrooms ahead of them with Timber Sentinel while scouting things out, to add a defensible point. That would be the Repeat a Spell Exploration activity. Let me know if you are/aren't okay with that, and feel free to place the 'shroom wherever you think is reasonable - since they just came through the door, perhaps somewhere within line of sight from the other side of the door, square SE of Drizzle?

• (via Repeat a Spell) Timber Sentinel, 10AC, 10/10HP, 10/10rounds, SE of Drizzle, does not take up its space

I'm also assuming the passage of time in terms of how long until Ocean's Balm can be used on Tulki again - in the "cooldowns" section of my status block. Let me know if you'd like anything changed there.

Initiative (Perception)

Edited by Xiadais
Timber Sentinel and Ocean's Balm resolution (see edit history)
Name
Initiative (Perception)
1d20+5 2

(Yeah, I'm fine with assuming that you've waited a bit and healed everyone back to full. Repeat a Spell is supposed to be a cantrip, but heck, I like the flavor, so Timber Sentinel is fine.)

Drizzle's eyes lit up at the assortment of random treasure! He stuffs the backpack full of goodies and slings it over his shoulder, but gives others a chance to pick out what they fancy.

"Loot, loot, looty looty loot..." He whistles a merry tune.

When they finally set out to challenge the dogs, he strides in valiantly! Shield first, of course.

Perception

Name
Perception
1d20+6 13

(skipping Ruth's turn. I also grabbed a token for Drizzle. I hope it's acceptable)

The dogs move in and viciously attack, though Shroom's giant fungus mitigates some of the damage.

Dog 1
:OneAction:Stride
:TwoActions:Strike x2 vs Shroom - tree takes 6 damage

Dog 2
:OneAction:Strike vs Drizzle - tree takes 4 damage, Drizzle takes 3
:OneAction:Prepare to Aid
:Reaction:Aid Dog 3

Dog 3
:TwoActions:Strike x2 vs Drizzle

@severalservals @Rumsztyk @Xiadais Your turn

Map

spacer.png

Edited by Eagleheart (see edit history)
Name
Strike 1 vs Shroom
9; 3
1d20+7;1d6+2 [2]; [2,1]
Strike 2 vs Shroom
20; 6
1d20+2;1d6+2 [18]; [18,4]
Dog 2 Strike
24; 7
1d20+7;1d6+2 [17]; [17,5]
Dog 2 Aid
1d20+7 15
Dog 3 Strike 1
17; 5
1d20+8;1d6+2 [9]; [9,3]
Dog 3 Strike 2
17; 3
1d20+2;1d6+2 [15]; [15,1]

"EEP! Bad dog!" Drizzle cries out from behind his shield, whipping the dog back with his shovel-pick-mace, shovel style.

Shield Block reaction to reduce damage taken to 0

Raise Shield, Spellstrike (Gouging Claw)

Spellstrike

Edited by Rumsztyk (see edit history)
Name
Spellstrike
1d20+7 6

"Oh man, I hate hurtin' animals, but if it's us against them..."

Action 1: Ruth moves two to the left and one down.

Action 2: Ruth attempts a devise a stratagem against Dog 1

Roll

Recall knowledge roll (Nature)

Roll

Strike roll

Roll

Roll

9 damage total (Strategic Strike + Weapon Attack)

Edited by LargestFriend (see edit history)
Name
Roll
1d20 +4 19
Roll
1d20 +2 20
Roll
1d6 +1 5
Roll
1d6 3

Tulki| HP 15/15 | AC 17 | Speed 25'

Condition: None

Tulki racks his tiny scaly brain, but once again comes up with nothing especially useful. He drops a bite of dog jerky into his chalice, raises it and shrieks,

Feel your soul boil in the ichor of the Great Wyrm, dumb dog!

Then he tries to poke it. Twice. Both times quite fiercely.

Actions
  • Action 1: Esoteric Lore vs Standard DC for dog's level - that's an 11, so probably a Failure. His weapon strikes against the dog he's fighting (dog 3) count as magical and that particular dog has a Weakness 2 vs his strikes.
  • Action 2: Strike vs Dog 3
    • Strike 1 vs Dog 3
    • Damage
  • Action 3: Strike 2 vs Dog 3
    • Strike 2 vs Dog 3
    • Damage

Name
Esoteric Lore vs Standard DC for dog's level
1d20+7 4
Strike 1 vs Dog 3
1d20+6 11
Damage