Application (Questions & Answers)

bwatford

Hey there, not saying I want this option but since the document didn't indicate either way...are Tasha's Custom Lineages on the table?

I also just wanted to confirm custom backgrounds (swapping skill/tool/language Proficiencies as per the normal PHB rules) are ok.

1 hour ago, Cointhief said:

Hey there, not saying I want this option but since the document didn't indicate either way...are Tasha's Custom Lineages on the table?

I also just wanted to confirm custom backgrounds (swapping skill/tool/language Proficiencies as per the normal PHB rules) are ok.

Custom Lineages are not allowed.

Custom backgrounds are allowed.

Hey, I was working on backstory. I was wanting to tie in her soldier (decommissioned) background to one of Greyhawk's actual armies. I found plenty of info, but just to be sure, what year does the campaign take place? Or if you'd rather I can just make something up instead of pulling from Greyhawk lore.

2 hours ago, Cointhief said:

Hey, I was working on backstory. I was wanting to tie in her soldier (decommissioned) background to one of Greyhawk's actual armies. I found plenty of info, but just to be sure, what year does the campaign take place? Or if you'd rather I can just make something up instead of pulling from Greyhawk lore.

595 CY. 

1 hour ago, JubalBreakbottle said:

Sorry if this is repetitive, but is "Customizing Your Origin" page 8 of Tasha's available? Understood that Custom Lineage is not available.

thanks

Customizing your Origin is allowed.

1 hour ago, JubalBreakbottle said:

Hi Brian

I would like to play a Dhampir. Would you like me to use the stats from WOTC Van Richten's Gudie to Ravenloft OR Kobold Press? Both appear viable in your Character Creation document. Do you have a preference?

Thanks

Dhampir is not on the WotC approved races list in the document so you will need to use the Kobold Press one.

In fact, Van Richten's Guide should be on the disallowed resources list. I will get that added to the document.

EDIT: Character Creation & Play v 2.0 has been added to the file area. This update adds both Van Richten's guide and Planescape to the not allowed list of resources as they are setting specific.

Hi - just a few questions that are more related to the setting, if you will!

Does the Raven Queen exist in your version of Greyhawk? The Shadar-Kai race is disallowed, but the Shadow Fey race, as pointed out, is conceptually similar. In case the Raven Queen exists, do the Shadow Fey replace the Shadar-Kai as her servants?

How do the dragonborn fit into your Greyhawk world? Do they have their own nation, like the elves? Feel free to point me to any relevant resource you are planning to use and I'll do the reading.

Thank you!

11 hours ago, TheShadyRaven said:

Does the Raven Queen exist in your version of Greyhawk? The Shadar-Kai race is disallowed, but the Shadow Fey race, as pointed out, is conceptually similar. In case the Raven Queen exists, do the Shadow Fey replace the Shadar-Kai as her servants?

In Greyhawk the Raven Queen would be the equivalent of Wee Jas. While the Raven Queen was left ambiguous in the tumultuous years of D&D 4th Edition (and already she has two different backstories under that name) the mind behind the character envisioned her as being Wee Jas. This was later put into writing by WotC in 5e.

"Most of the Raven Queen-related lore is my baby [...] I interpret the Raven Queen as basically *being* Wee Jas, albeit having absorbed Nerull's power and become a blacker deity".

Erik Scott de Bie, co-author of The Shadowfell (from the WotC Forums)

The Shadow Fey, once high elves that took to the plane of Shadow (and were changed forever) to withdraw from mankind but having recently return would be worshipper's of Wee Jas in this instance.

12 hours ago, TheShadyRaven said:

How do the dragonborn fit into your Greyhawk world? Do they have their own nation, like the elves? Feel free to point me to any relevant resource you are planning to use and I'll do the reading.

I believe that Dragonborn originated as members of other races voluntarily transmogrified to better serve as champions of Bahamut. Since Bahamut, I think, originated with Greyhawk (in D&D, anyway), one could make the case that Dragonborn are actually native to Greyhawk in the first place.

That's probably stretching things a bit, but I feel that that might actually be the best way to use them in the campaign setting. Becoming a Dragonborn of Bahamut caused sterility, as Bahamut did not want anyone to be born with the mantle associated with the transformed nature. However, because of the way 3.x did stuff with deities, the Dragonborn of Bahamut transformation is unilaterally revokable by Bahamut's will alone, so it's unlikely that any other deity would be able to make such changes without Bahamut pulling the plug. Besides, Tiamat has her own equivalent (the Spawn of Tiamat) which are both (a) directly under her control, and (b) quite a bit easier to create (since her priests can actually create them by themselves, without her direct involvement).

But I think that covers their creation and reason for being, even if some broke off and refused to serve the dragon.

In either case above, the campaign will not dive deeply into lore so the explanations given just help you with character creation. The Age of Worms adventure path is pretty self contained and Greyhawk lore should not become an issue.