Redemption: The Preludes (IC post)

Ragzspacer.png

With a well-fed, contented, and somewhat sedated, mastiff at his side, Ragz approached the others to share the news of the dog's naming. He approached Torben first, but not wanting to interrupt, the kobold kept a polite distance and waited for a lull in the conversation.

The lull never came. Instead, the half-orc came. He spoke his words with gravity, clearly revealing important things. His words seemed to stir up troubling feelings and questions among the listeners. At a certain level, Ragz understood the troubles. If the half-orc spoke the truth, they were all caught up in great and dangerous happenings. But as a kobold, Ragz had always viewed his life as a great and dangerous happening. Such was the plight of kobolds: subject to the whims and wills of vastly more powerful beings. Most kobolds died before their children's name day. Those who did not, learned to accept life as a pawn in a greater game of life and death.

As for Ragz, he was pleased to hear that the half-orc and burned man served Jergal. Years earlier, Ragz had learnd of Jergal. He had been warmed by the idea of a god who recorded the names of the many countless kobolds who died forgotten, their funerary rituals unobserved. There was a fairness in Jergal's objective: he was no respecter of race or class. His notes included all who died. It was comforting to think that, when all was finished, there would be a great book or scroll in which Ragz' name would be recorded, as well as the names of his wives and posterity. As well as his friends.

In his happy musings, Ragz heard the words of the tall human and felt the man's pain. "No," he replied, his odd croaking voice conveying a whiney higher tone of emotion, "you are Roland. Roland has fine name. And friends to share the path. All who share this path are as Roland: unprepared, uninformed, and inadequate to the task. Such is life for most who walk the sunlit world or slink below. All that is required upon this path is that travelers help each other along the way, and do their best to reach the destination. That is all. And all travelers can do it."

It was an odd mix that informed the kobold: a heavy does of Shaundakul sprinkiled liberally with eastern teachings of the Path of Enlightenment.

Ragzspacer.png

In the silence that followed Ragz' words to Roland, he regained his composure, seeing the faces of the others, realizing what he had done. Lowering his eyes, he looked to his feet.

"Beg pardon." the kobold croaked, "Ragz sometimes forgets who is speaking and who is listening, offering words to comfort Ragz rather than words to comfort others."

Edited by Wizard of the Coat (see edit history)

image.png.7069aa6f14c8b34f38c2d45b977d1e9d.pngRoland Weisley

Roland was startled by the sudden entrance of the kobold into their conversation, his attention snapping to Ragz with wide eyes. As the kobold spoke, Roland found himself captivated by his words, the message of companionship resonating deeply within him. Thoughts of Aly and their journey together flitted through his mind, a flicker of warmth amidst the turmoil of his thoughts.

But it was Ragz's mention of the importance of the journey itself that truly struck a chord with Roland. The repetition of his own words by the kobold made him realize the internal conflict he had been grappling with. There were two sides to him, battling against each other - one filled with hope and determination, the other drowning in self-doubt and perceived failure.

Why did the darker side always seem to prevail, lurking in the shadows of his mind and sapping his strength at every turn? Roland questioned inwardly, grappling with his own inner demons.

Unexpectedly, it was the kobold who offered him a glimmer of comfort and insight, his words piercing through the haze of Roland's thoughts. With a humbled nod, Roland acknowledged the wisdom in Ragz's words. "You... you... you are right," he murmured softly, his voice barely above a whisper.

As Ragz's presence seemed to calm him, Roland felt a sense of gratitude towards the kobold. With a gesture of openness, he invited Ragz to join him on the log, his hand gently stroking the mane of the mastiff beside him. "No, you're the weird one here," he said to the dog with a playful smile, the heaviness in his heart momentarily lifted by the unexpected camaraderie of the moment.

Edited by Harding (see edit history)

image.png.61cde8fd6e6cf44ea94faabf2bc44a5f.png Aly Treltor

Aly was about to answer Rillik before D'Artegenon's speach interrupted her. Aly wasn't sure whether D'Artegenon's revelation was a relief or not. Her first thought was Roland and she had survived only because there was no "witness". But it had been the attack that prompted her to contact Lysander who contacted D'Artegenon.

Then there was the dragon. If they were there to witness, wouldn't the dragon have attacked. "I have two questions, only one of which is really important. Being led here, to us, does that mean you are here to witness one of us die? Or could it be someone we have yet to meet? You did say something was different."

"The second, less important question, is how do you know Lysander?"

dicesword.jpg.c74b4f1811fc9f7e2e8a2e2d7d8e661d.jpg

D’Artegenon nodded. “That is a fair question. The answer is that I do not know who it is that we are to witness, but I know who it isn’t. We are not here to witness any of your deaths, we are all part of the path to this death. Beyond that, I cannot say. I cannot even say for certain that I or Wyck are supposed to witness it now that I know we are part of the painting instead off to the side, as my acolyte so ably explained.”

The fading light suddenly caught his attention, and he stood. “Let’s work while we talk. We need to get this fire out soon and I want to make sure the rest of the camp is set up and ready.” 

He began gathering up the battered wooden and tin dishes that everyone had been using to eat while he continued. “Lysander and I met decades ago. I was visiting another friend in the area who introduced us. I knew of him, of course, and we talked long into the night. I have been back his way many times and he has always had valuable information and insight to share. Some of his wisdom has guided me in my own path to becoming High Priest, so the relationship has had great value to me.”

Wyck.jpg.431ecbcc7a5921b763257074336757be.jpgWyckmere Mirth

The timely appearance of D'Artegenon was no more a surprise to Wyck than the long blonde hairs on his head when they shaded his view. It was the inevitable part of the man's entire being, nothing else could hold that mantle so strongly. Wyck tried to smile, tried to soak in what was to come next from D'Artegenon's mouth. He would speak the same truths as Wyck had just done, but he would do it with the clout and awesomeness that befit a mountain. It had been a long time since he'd heard such words come from D'Artegenon not in quiet whispers just outside a room or sleepy late night chats between towns.

So prepared for the words was Wyck, that he almost didn't hear the ones that actually came out of his mouth. There was something else unfamiliar in his voice that Wyck didn't quite understand because he'd never heard the man have them. Doubts. There had been times before when they had been blind to what was to come -both of them had admitted as much just a moment ago- but it always just something to be resolved in the next foot step, or around the next corner, or in the morning. This time, he didn't get the sense that they were that close to figuring it out. The way D'Artegenon talked was somehow like the way those first few Witnessings had gone when Wyck had been still too new to pick up on anything and D'Artegenon had had been hesitant to share lessons learned for fear that Wyck would never learn if he never experienced it for himself.

Wyck stared at D'Artegenon long after he stopped talking. Roland's confession acted as a brilliant shield for unspoken stones and arrows lobbed in Wyck's direction from the heavens. When the soldier was done speaking, Wyck's empathy settled into the silence that lingered there with Roland. His knack for hospitality bubbled to the surface and he prepared himself to launch into action, only to find that the kobold beat him to it. The kobold used a different tact, but the sentiments were similar and Wyck simply nodded at Roland's response to it.

Wyck looked around at the others as the information settled in. He'd seen a myriad of responses in the past to these truths and deep down he thought that none of them would surprise him now. To their credit, it seemed as though most of them were handling it quite well. Acceptance was the hardest part and did not always come quickly. Some times, it didn't even come until afterwards. Then, like a creeping vine wrapping around an oak, the words slithered around Wyck's mind until they held enough torque that it could twist the roots from the ground.

He could feel his heartbeat. It sent a quake through his chest with each rolling thump as it tried to shake loose from his ribcage. It wasn't dread, but it felt like dread. He'd felt it before -once- and he hadn't liked it then either. He'd chosen to ignore it then too. By coincidence, Wyck stood up and brushed himself off only to notice that D'Artegenon and Aly were doing similarly. They went about cleaning camp but he looked to his personal belongings for an activity to occupy his time and mind. He found his journal exactly where he stashed it and drew out his quill, but nothing came to him that needed written down in that exact moment and he felt foolish for grabbing it in the first place.

"Torben." He spoke the word before he even thought to say it. He also realized after it had left his lips that it was the first time he'd said the bugbear's name out loud. "Tell us what is at this mountain that's so important." His voice carried across the campsite and was as loud as he'd been in days. It mattered little that Wyck had heard snippets of this exact conversation once or maybe twice before, the problem was he'd not heard it directly or in whole. He grasped at that fact like the vine grasped at the trunk.

image.png.61cde8fd6e6cf44ea94faabf2bc44a5f.png Aly Treltor

Both answers were comforting. It was good to know none of them were... scheduled... to die. At least not anytime soon. But the whole being part of an event warranting the notice of an elder god, that was certainly something to contemplate. She jokingly thought, next town I need to buy a notebook. These unknown but forseen events needed their own saga.

It also made her feel better about D'Artegenon, that Lysander had some role in mentoring him, or at least advising him. She did not feel threatened by that fact. She knew Lysander and she went beyond advice. He was her mentor. He was haru... grandfather.

She took D'Artegenon's suggestion and returned to cooking. She was about to cook the rabbit quarters to have them cooled to wrap for tomorrow's lunch. "where... the rabbit quarters? Tomorrow's lunch?"

Seeing a happy and fed Allqu, ok smaller portions of back strip for dinner. Not enough time to finish the soup tonight. Aside from the fact there was no practical way to transport it.

Portioning, she had almost forgotten Rillik's question. "It's your butchering technique. Your dressing was great but you are leaving too much on the bone. Handing her one of her cooking knives, "right tool for the job. And if you hold it like this, you're 90 percent the way there."

Edited by Civit (see edit history)

Ragzspacer.png

Ragz accepted Roland's invitation, hopping up onto the log, pleased that he had not caused the big human offense.

The black mastiff enthusiastically accepted the human soldier as her newest best friend, happy to have her mane stroked, licking Roland's hand when he smiled at her, vocalizing grumbly happiness.

When the burned man asked his question of Torben, the kobold took notice, holding his breath in anticipation. Either he did not know the answer to the question, or he did not know if Torben would reveal it to these new traveling companions.

image.png.7069aa6f14c8b34f38c2d45b977d1e9d.pngRoland Weisley

As Roland continued to pet the dog, he silently made a mental note to give her a proper bath as soon as possible, wrinkling his nose at the lingering smell on his hand. However, his focus shifted back to the conversation at hand, particularly Wyck's question about the mountain they were aiming to reach.

Initially, Roland had dismissed the mountain as Torben's personal endeavor, but D'Artagenon's recent revelations suggested a deeper connection to their own fate. With a nod of silent respect towards Wyck, whom he now regarded as a younger yet wiser companion, Roland awaited Ragz's response to Wyck's inquiry. Perhaps the answer would provide them with a crucial piece of the puzzle they were trying to solve.

In addition to Wyck's question, Roland felt compelled to inquire about Eldon Blackthorn, his former mentor who had been mentioned as being deeply implicated in the events surrounding their group. Turning his attention to D'Artagenon, Roland asked, "You mentioned that Eldon Blackthorn, my ex-mentor, was deeply implicated at some point in the events surrounding our group. Do you have more details you can share? He's the enemy I'm familiar with, and perhaps pursuing him could reveal more to us."

He was absently touching his Tymora amulet as he mentionned Eldon name, as if simply mentionning it could bring them bad luck. Still he stayed steady as he awaited more info from the Half-Orc, while placing gently a piece of dried boar meat from his rations under the dog nose.

image.png.f3e96643e33f532a45bb09795ef2a857.pngTorben

Things seem to have settled down. Satisfied, Torben turned back to splitting wood, only to be interrupted by the burned human's surprisingly loud question. He froze, blunt claws crunching slightly into the wood in his hands. "W-well... it's a Glacier, not a mountain. Or are those the same thing, technically, only one's made of ice and the other stone?" He deflected nervously, trying to figure out what to say and how to say it. The new Abbot had told him not to reveal his connection to the monks, but Justin and Stephen had told him that something was wrong with the trial. He had hoped to just be able to get there without too much trouble, but that was before he knew how large and strange the world seemed to be. Things just kept getting complicated. Torben let the silence stretch for several moments as he thought.

Blowing out a heavy breath, Torben decided that he can explain part of his mission now that it's been directly asked. "I need to... there's some sort of, creature, living on--or maybe in--the Glacier. Something with tentacles, and I'm pretty sure there's more than one of them. Anyways, I need to get one of those tentacles." It felt freeing, even explaining this much, though Torben knew he wasn't supposed to mention the rest. "I'm hoping that they shed them naturally, whatever they are," He commented instead to get his mind off of what he isn't willing to say. "I'd rather not hurt anything I don't have to--then again, it makes sense if they're dangerous, too, so then fighting them would be a good thing for the people nearby."

Posted (edited)

dicesword.jpg.e96870365435b3eb90259640b22d8870.jpg

The half-orc arched an eyebrow as he continued cleaning up. “I said no such thing about Eldon. I said I had heard his name from others, and that he was a dangerous man. Whether he is directly involved in this business we are in now or not is something I cannot say for certain, though it would not surprise me.”

Turning towards Torben, he asked, “Why do you need the tentacles? Do they have a medicinal value? Or some other alchemical property?” 

Edited by Varen Tai (see edit history)

Torben grimaces; he had hoped this question wouldn't be asked. "I don't know what good they're for," he answers honestly. "I was just told to get them. And... I'm not--I can't tell you more than that. I know it's not for any bad reason," he amends hastily moments later. "There must be a good use for them--otherwise, why would--why would I be sent to get them? I just... I wasn't told why, and it wasn't really my place to ask." He wondered, belatedly, if that was part of the problem with the whole affair back at the monastery, but deliberately set that idea aside; if he started distrusting in the Abbots, then what could he trust in? Shrugging a bit uncomfortably, Torben went back to tearing apart the wood.

Wyck.jpg.431ecbcc7a5921b763257074336757be.jpgWyckmere Mirth

There were multiple conversations going again, each with varied levels of inclusion or rebuttal being tossed like boulders across the campfire. Some involved were even moving about the camp, which made those conversations tributaries of the greater river that Wyckmere had purposefully created. As the creator, Wyck had only the eyes and ears for one conversation and so his attention did not waver. He watched, quietly, as the bugbear squirmed in the targeted forefront he'd placed him. He did not take joy in it nor did he seem apologetic, instead his silent body language fell into the attentive and objectively neutral demeanor he'd had a few days earlier when a similar line of questioning had been proposed to Aly and Oslan, now Roland.

Wyck offered the bugbear a smile as he toiled on his prophetically-charged, but inevitable choice to harm this unnamed creature. He'd all but spoken it into existence now, and yet Wyck felt that he too could be convinced rather easily in the idea that such a thing as tentacles could be molten off or sheered away like sheep's wool. The world was full of such oddities and why not could this be added to the list.

"You get this tentacle and then return it to someone, yes?" He asked, leading to what he hoped would be the conclusion of the his new companion's task.

Edited by Basil_Bottletop (see edit history)

Torben should've known that there was always one more question. It was the same in his school years, and he found himself hunching his shoulders like he did back then. "...Yes," he replied shortly, hoping that was the end of it. It wouldn't be--it never was--but he could hope, for the moment.

https://mwbaldrcdkstack-ipbuploads6f377ba5-6asvxg6ywium.s3.us-east-1.amazonaws.com/monthly_2023_12/c64euxtRA2uOQ7cVwHg1--1--zmktg.webp.be92493580a451ac9dc42632a2ce61ee.webpRillik d'Sivis

When Aly gave the advice and offered a more specialized tool for the job, Rillik nodded and looked the knife over. It was a nice blade, much better for butchering than the utilitarian blade she was using, worn from so much sharpening over the years, but she flipped it in her hand and gave it a shot. "Normally I'm more worried about getting slivers of bone with the meat and I do find the bones go good in a broth overnight, a little meat on them makes it all the better, strain it into a few canteens in the morning, it's more hydrating than water. Though I'm used to travelling with a larger troop, so a full carcass into a pot might make a bit much for this little band." Heading back to the meat, she slid the knife along the hind legs and it glided effortlessly. Her mouth turned with her a tilted nod of approval. "If nothing else, this will make the work much less tiring..." After a moment she spoke again, with a bit of a shout to be heard by Torben. She'd been listening to everyone, but wanted out some speculation, to manage expectations. This mission seemed so far over anyone's head that it would be a wonder if they survived. "Torben, were you given any idea how large this tentacle would be? Like are we dealing with something the size of a giant squid, a kraken, or an octopus? And as Wyck was alluding to, who sent you? Was it someone who was kind to you or someone who would rather see you disappear permanently, were you given anything like a key or magic item to locate this creature or perhaps... open a gate for it?"

She had more questions, many more, but the Bugbear had already proven to her that he was not adept at conveying his thoughts, perhaps not even adept at thinking period, but to her way of thinking tentacles were supposed to be in the water, not on a glacier, to be otherwise was likely an aberration... The gnome slapped a haunch of meat on the tarp and then stared at Torben. She didn't want to miss anything he said and it was a effort to reign in her mind from pulling all the scraps that had been thrown around into a pile of best guesses.