Two-Pane Source Editor?

Khakhan

Would it be possible to work in a two-pane setup when you click Source to see the source editor on one side and the WYSIWYG editor on the other? Whether or not it updates like... real-time or you have to click like... Preview and it updates the WYSIWYG side of things so you can see what the more in-depth tweaks you've done to the post look like before you have to leave the source editor.

Like, something setup sort of like below:

image.png.79cf2e2a22d95dcf13e20198ff59de69.png

OK, I read the idea once, said "Not in scope", then read it again. This would be a low-priority effort, but if it's limited to just source mode tinkering and the right side does not need to be WYSIWYG editable, it might actually be possible.

MIGHT.

Eventually.

But I'm pretty sure people want dice first, and game ads, and better sheets integration. So don't expect miracles.

The right side does not at all have to be WSIWYG editable, it was more like "If it could also do that, that'd be awesome." If I can just see what is happening in source in the "This is what it looks like" window, that's more than enough.

But I read ya. A "it might be possible, but it'll be a bit" is not a bad answer by any measure. I do get there are higher priorities to improving functionality.

Quick edit: I don't know how much of a code parse checker there is already, but if it had one like OGMW has for the BBCode, the one where it's like "missing [/i] at location" that could also be useful and save you folks some headaches.

Edited by Khakhan (see edit history)

There are already two levels of HTML sanitization on the post source, so bad stuff doesn't get submitted. Source mode is very much "use if you know what you're doing"; we're trying to wrap all of the MW-specific widgets with enough knobs and dials to do the things most people want to do, but we haven't fully gotten there.

Seconded, thirded, and umpteenthed... I always work in source (and I miss being able to just throw tags into the post as I create it, even if they were just BBCode tags). The current implementation of source makes me want to tear out my eyes. 😄

In fact, because of the current source display / functionality, most of the time I copy the source into my own editor, work on it there, and paste it back in.

And that being said, I certainly understand priorities. *shrug*

• 4 months later...