slot-Based encumbrance

new GM

I'm trying to find out how to make encumbrance work in 5e for more games but I feel like either they have two little spaces or too much space. I tried making my own but I'm having issues with caring equipment. I don't know if I should try and fix it or leave it out, it just doesn't feel like it's needed.

EQUIPMENT

A player has 10 slots, plus their Strength Mod (Mod not Score) this is their Personal equipment if you go over it You put your items in to. store equipment which is 10 slots plus your Strength Mod and you get affected by Storage rules win you fill your store equipment. the player must put it into caring equipment; it has another 10 slots plus your Strength mod. When you do this you become affected by Strain rules.

Slots

Each slot can hold up to 5 lb anything that weighs more than 1 lb takes up more space and anything that weighs More than 5 lb takes up more slots. You have a total of 30 slots not counting strength  and you can hold up to 150 lb 

Personal equipment (Easy Access Items) 

These are things you have readily on hand, be it in your hands, a belt pouch, sheath, quiver, or hanging on the side of your pack. A character has up to 10 slots that are Easy Access. Everything else is packed away, or not readily accessible. You do not need to use all of these, but these are the things you can access while in combat quickly.

Example items you would put in your accessible items include. Weapons, Quivers of Ammo, Potions, Holy Symbols, Arcane Focuses, Spell Components, Shields,

stored equipment

After your Personal equipment is full you must put it into stored equipment win you do this it is considered packed away in a backpack, satchel or or in Some storage device.

Storage rules

These are things you are carrying with you but will take some time To get out Storage rules only happen When you try and get items from stored equipment  during  combat. During combat It takes a action To take anything out of stored equipment When you are not in combat you can access them normally 

caring equipment

After your stored equipment is full you must put it into caring equipment win you do thisYou are straightening yourself to put more things into your bags and to carry a heavier load. 

Strain rules

When a  creature puts items into carrying equipment they become strained and have disadvantage on saving throws  and checks with strength and dexterity  if caring equipment becomes filled you cannot carry anything else and you get a -15 to your speed And Items are not Usable during combat 

Adding your strength 

When adding your strength modifier You add the That many slots to each equipment if you have a negative strength modifier you take that many slots away from all The equipment 

Example:If I have a strength modifier plus 2 which I would give two slots to all my  equipment And if I had a  -2  I would take away two slots from each one 

Large and small creatures 

A large Creature can hold one extra pound per slot Why a small creature can hold one less pound per slot 

Example:A halfling can hold 4 lb per slot why a Goliath can hold 6 lbs per slot

Worn Non-Encumbering Items

Clothing and Jewelry that is worn, requires no slots. It is however not also easily accessible. If an item of clothing or Jewelry needs to be quickly accessed like a holy symbol it needs to be tracked in the player's easy access slots. A players outfit (underclothing, tunic, pants, a robe are bundled together) takes one slot if not worn. 

Coin Pouch

100 gold equal 1 lb so a slot of coins would be 500 gold

Personal equipment                                    stored equipment                                           caring equipment                    

Slot     item/description 

1s

2s

3s

4s

5s

6s

7s

8s

9s

10s

1 lb

2 lb

3lb

4 lb

5 lb

1s

2s

3s

4s

5s

6s

7s

8s

9s

10s

1 lb

2 lb

3lb

4 lb

5 lb

1s

2s

3s

4s

5s

6s

7s

8s

9s

10s

1 lb

2 lb

3lb

4 lb

5 lb

All items are easy to access and are usable during combat

it takes an action to grab any items during combat

disadvantage on saving throws  and checks with str and dex And Items are  not Usable during combat

Strength Mod                                            Strength Mod                                            Strength Mod                  

cp

sp

ep

gp

pp

I have used this in the past. I did find people complain a little that they didn't get enough slots at points, so I increased the impact strength had, but honestly it just prompts people to be more cautious with what they have (if you want that type of game) along with looking at getting carts etc.

I find a more 'general' system makes things easier for everyone to manage.

@OzzyKP I have a feeling we used a slightly edited one to what I linked, as when I used it in and IRL game very similar to what you played, they really struggled with the amount of slots. I have seen Mack making appearances in a few other games ;)

@new GM, here are my general thoughts on your system.

- Firstly, what is the point of adding the system? At the end of the day you want to add a benefit to your game, not just more complications. If the rules aren't need for the game, I would advise avoiding it. I myself used a slot system because it was hexcrawling and island survival, so I wanted to enforce limited resources.

- I personally feel the penalty for entering 'carrying equipment' is pretty harsh. I am not an expert on 5e, but disadvantage on all saving throws is hard right? Why do I take a penalty on wisdom saves for carrying a heavy load, I would think you can limit the penalties and make sure it relates to what is actually happening to the character (which is carrying a heavy pack).

- I would also advise perhaps staggering the penalties from the 'carrying equipment', this adds complication to the rules I guess, but at the moment I as a player wouldn't put a single lb into that area unless it was a matter of life and death and I couldn't drop something else...Basically meaning I only have 20 slots + 2xstr as I would never use those slots.

- More of a thought than advice, but because strength impacts 3 different slot systems it is 3 times as powerful (give or take). Meaning a character with -1 strength and a character with +4 strength have 5 slot difference per 'section' meaning 15 slots...That is more than a base section (which is ten). Just food for thought.

• 3 weeks later...

In my PF2 games I use a variant of their base rule and errata-ed bandolier.

You have 10 slots in your bandolier, which is your ready items. Each slot can contain multiple items as long as they are exactly the same (e.g. 4 minor healing potions). It must contain your weapons, ammo packs, and component pouch.

An important feature is that drawing a bandolier item costs no action (except weapons). So there's an incentive on top of the restriction. In PF2, drawing potions turns out very costly in terms of action, and they basically errata-ed the healing kits to require no action, while leaving potions to require one...

Other items are in your pack and very annoying to get at in combat. It's therefore more about combat-ready items than encumbrance. Eventhough 10 is quite large, it does lead to choices at higher level. You could lower it to 8 or something.