Announcements / Discussion / Collaboration

Aspekt

36 minutes ago, Aspekt said:

I've had a request from a couple of players to set a soft-limit on sexual depictions in our game. That is to say, not that it can't exist in our game, but they've requested a "fade-to-black" if something like that is going to take place. I don't think that anything we've created so far has passed this boundary, I just wanted to make everyone aware of the request!

Yeah, that was the assumption of acceptability I was operating under when I wrote the Purveyor of Passions intro scene for Saya.

7 hours ago, Aspekt said:

I've had a request from a couple of players to set a soft-limit on sexual depictions in our game. That is to say, not that it can't exist in our game, but they've requested a "fade-to-black" if something like that is going to take place. I don't think that anything we've created so far has passed this boundary, I just wanted to make everyone aware of the request!

To be fair, that is covered in the rules of the site as well. Fairly common line!

10 hours ago, Aspekt said:

We can just apply what Simpsons and Futurama did. They had their fair share of sex scenes played before-after, but not during. They could draw it as far as dialog was relevant to the story, but kept anything graphic in the black.

16 hours ago, Aspekt said:

Hello again!

As I mentioned previously, we have more people signed up than can possibly play. I felt pretty bad about this, especially since everyone's applications look so cool!

I talked with @scootloops and we have come up with an interesting idea; Scootloops and I will both be running a game in this universe, but the games will take place in the same world, you all might bump into each other, and the actions of one party might affect the other!

Scootloops and I are still working out the details on how we're going to figure out groups, but I believe this means that everyone who's signed up will get to play.

Interested in everyone's feedback and ideas on this, I have never seen something like this before but we wanted to try it out!

Exciting! I've seen a few games with two groups in the one world, often as a result of many applications and the DM not wanting to choose! I think all the ones I've seen have been the same DM though so interested to see how this works out - I guess you and scootloops just need to make sure you're both on the same page with world events.

I probably wouldn't be keen on both groups directly meeting up and interacting simply to avoid any kind of PvP which I find inevitably leads to issues...

How are you going to divide the two groups of players up?

In an ideal world ya’ll would self-assemble into two balanced groups and make it easy haha. But I think that next week Scootloops and I are going to have to do a team-building chat and figure out who goes where. Lots of things to consider such as who seems to like who, and which characters seem complimentary.

If you guys have some good ideas about how to do this, I’m very open to it! Or if you all manage to break into two even groups that would make life easy…

Do it in character. Get two officials to gather "volunteers" and make them present each once mission. Let some players decide by themselves where to go and finally, if no banana has been achieved, the officials do the final call.

Seems reasonable doing it IC, though seems sensible to have some sort of OOC discussion about it as well, to balance out the two groups in terms of roles filled & characters people are interested in playing with (some may be reciprocal, others not). I quite like the potential contrast between Wilovar & Elrods views on gold - the former viewing it as a tool the latter as a goal in itself to amass.

Wilovar may also actually as a good foil to either a hardened warrior who assigns value baaed on that (given he is not), or a wilderness loving type (given he's more or a civiliser, if not quite governor ratcliffe)

Edited by PureChance (see edit history)

4 hours ago, Aspekt said:

Lots of things to consider such as who seems to like who, and which characters seem complimentary.

But I like everybody, lol. Might be a good idea to keep Arden and Tseren on the same team. :) Looks like if everyone one gets picked we will have one team of 8 and one team of 7. The two distinct missions idea seems like a good idea to separate the specializations. Loxley is primarily designed for the social game but he will also shake out to be a good ranged combatant over time. He is designed to be effective as a support character, so no qualms in being placed with any of these fine recruits.

…that probably means that Tseren/Arden and Saya will be on opposite teams as they’re both barbarian face breakers (though one is slightly more face breaky and the other is slightly more tanky)…unless we wanna front load all the tanks into a single team and set them off to handle warrior-focused missions.

Saya works generally well on a team with anyone. Her once-noble-warrior standards for companionship have been sooooo lowered by years of working for criminals in exile, that most of the Silver Hawks are a massive step up…but if you wanna pack her on to a team of rogues, then she can at least be a scouting tank without disadvantage on stealth checks from armor…and she wouldn’t notice too much of a difference between how she used to operate.

Though, since she’s from Kara-Tur’s Korazuka/Islands of Wa (or a splinter colony thereof, DM’s decision with whole FR deep lore they wan’t me to dive in to), a team with any paladins or clerics who try to preach to her, she’s going to find a bit “quaint”.

“Oh, you revere only a single entity from a pantheon of dozens? What about the other 8-million gods and spirits that influence one’s life?”

I mean, with 7 and 8 on each team, there will be a million miles of overlap. I wouldn't worry about a barbarian and a monk on one team, both teams will probably be a bit overloaded in general.

With PbP, there tends to be a lot of attrition, so the teams may end up being more manageable, but still.

Yes, I’ve been made very aware that blameless attrition (work gets crazy, kid gets sick, people find other games) is a big factor in PBP. 7/8 will probably balance well after that.

Well, if for some reason we end up with lack of certain classes, i can switch character to other class or make another one, so its not that big deal.

Im curious why there is no Oathbreaker/Necromancer entries cause i expected to see a lot actually, but im fine with any class.

Edited by Moturnach (see edit history)

This doesn't particularly seem the campaign tone to support those more morally dubious characters maybe. Though I'm always a fan of the kindly old necromancer who only takes donations and helps out round the town with tireless workers.