the cards are pretty straight forward, at least in original - i haven't actually played Eternity in person yet - online game lasted a short while, but GM pretty much oversaw the cards

i was hoping to discuss cosms - or alternatives actually
with 7 main main cosms, only 3 were genre mashups - i always wondered why

recently, in thinking about the game again, i was wondering what the invasion would look like with all cosms being mashups of different genres
original Nile - pulp/supers/ancient egypt
original orrorsh - victorian horror
original cyberpapacy - inquisition / cyberpunk

--

new cosm ideas ??

I played in one Torg game, and I thought it was a lot of fun. No one really liked the Living Land, but the other cosms had their fans.

I'd be worried that making them all be mashups would lead to some being mashups just for mashups sake, which is probably bad.

it's probably my favorite game. First time i played it was at a convention, then i found a local game when i was at university. A few years after that game ended i got into another local game - replayed some of the same stuff with a different character, group make-up made it less of a rehash.

i like the multigenre nature of it. Cosms are basically just alternate realities that have co-merged with 'our' reality. Basically genre versions of earth - fantasy, lost land, etc. A few were combinations of two genres mashed together. I like that idea and was hoping to garner a discussion of what other combos would be interesting to game in

On 1/30/2024 at 11:45 PM, cybersavant said:

[...]i was hoping to discuss cosms - or alternatives actually
with 7 main main cosms, only 3 were genre mashups - i always wondered why

recently, in thinking about the game again, i was wondering what the invasion would look like with all cosms being mashups of different genres
original Nile - pulp/supers/ancient egypt
original orrorsh - victorian horror
original cyberpapacy - inquisition / cyberpunk

--

new cosm ideas ??

I play and run Torg, both with and without the original system. I've done a broad variety of alternate settings and cosms, and often I just import other games to serve as my settings. One of my favorites and most memorable was a Torg / Feng Shui mashup that combined settings from Earthdawn, 7th Sea, Spycraft, Shadowrun, and Fading Suns. Each cosm was its own reality, with Core Earth also serving as the Netherworld from Feng Shui. Each of the cosms was, at least in theory, chronologically related to each other, and the through-line of the plot was the encroaching horrors from another dimension.

My RL table GM has threatened us with TORG a few times. It's only a threat because neither of his two players are super into modern day stuff, but I did mention to him the other day as we were discussing things:

"I'll even do TORG if you wanna."

So apparently I'm down for some chaos.

10 hours ago, cailano said:

I’ve never played it but just reading this thread makes it sound like a crazy experience!

Oh, it was a trip and a half. I still remember one session when my occultist/werewolf and the rest of the team was pinned down in some underground bunker by cyberpapist goons armed with beam weapons of some kind, possibly plasma bolts. I double-checked with the tech-savvy folks on the team if those things were either magic or silver, and they said no. So I hulked out, jumped over the table we were cowering behind, and charged. By some miracle I lived, slaughtered the goons, and was feasting on their flesh when the rest of the party caught up to me and pulled me off the bodies. Sure, it cost me a bunch of corruption points, but it was glorious.

That was about typical.

12 hours ago, cailano said:

I’ve never played it but just reading this thread makes it sound like a crazy experience!

I played a convention game earlier this year where we were driving through a UK town in our van when it was attacked by trolls that were hiding under one of the local bridges. The psychic levitated one of them in place, while my elven archer backflipped out of the van and onto a nearby lamppost to rain death from above. The driver tried to run over one of them, but missed... critically... and ended up crashing the van into a petrol station. The rest of the trolls ran away when the gun bunny set the geyser of petrol on fire. I wish I could say that was intentional.

Well, the rest of them except the one who still wasn't being allowed to touch the ground.

Turns out, the local government needed us to build a coalition out of various factions around the city to stave off an invasion by the local BBEG. One of which was the trolls and other monstrous humanoids, who had taken over the local sports stadium.

We managed to negotiate troll reinforcements for the battle, in return for releasing the still helplessly floating and now utterly despondent troll (the chief's nephew) unharmed, as well as arranging for more of the cannisters of "fizzy juice", which the trolls enjoyed opening by biting the valve off, with predictably explosive (but non-fatal for trolls) results.

Just to give you a snapshot of how crazy/silly/fun things can get.

i've played in several campaigns [ only 2 most/all the way through everything ]

so i've had a variety of characters - most memorable was i got to play as a ravagon [ usually bad guys for those not in the know ] who eventually became vampiric - lost him to GM control when he witnessed a bloodbath of innocents - the rest of our tried to hold him back, but with the blood feast feet away - his total corruption was a given

ah, i miss that character