Tevis Longfellow, Librarian-turned-Mercenary

Phntm888

Tevis Longfellow, 28-year old Librarian-turned-Mercenary
Human Sage Warlock (Archfey) 2
Str 11, Dex 15, Con 13, Int 14, Wis 9, Cha 16
Arcana +4, Deception +5, History +4, Investigation +4, Persuasion +5, Religion +4
Pact Magic (2 slots): Cantrips - eldritch blast, prestigiditation; 1st-level - comprehend languages, hex, sleep

Broad Concept: Librarian for a noble who sought a fantastic treasure in the Razorspine Mountains who was not entirely willingly brought along on a possibly doomed expedition. After being mortally wounded and left dying on a battlefield on said expedition, a Being offered to save his life and grant him some power in exchange for being his agent in accomplishing the Being's goals on the eastern side of the mountains. Now he's joined the "Silver Hawk Company", because the first instructions he was given were to journey to the eastern side of the Razorspine Mountains and "seek the silver hawk".

Physical Description: A rather lanky fellow with a bit of a stoop, Tevis looks perpetually disheveled. His messy brown hair is cut in a tonsure, and his plain, functional clothes always look wrinkled, as though he'd slept in them. He did show up wearing hardened leathers and carrying a crossbow, giving him the look of a soldier, but it doesn't take long to figure out that he's not particularly well-seasoned.

Although he often seems to have a far-off look in his brown eyes, this is quickly dispelled once he focuses in on something - or someone - his eyes piercing and searching. His voice is slightly nasally, and those who would have known him before his encounter with the Being would have called his speech annoying and dry. Now, however, he seems to have this charm about him that puts others at ease and makes them feel that he's fairly friendly and approachable - something Tevis isn't altogether comfortable with.

Personality: Tevis has never been one to put himself forward - he's always gone more out of his way to avoid notice. Scholarly by nature, he is at his most comfortable surrounded by books, with a nice warm fire. The fewer people, the better, was his thought. This new amiability about him that makes people feel relaxed and want to talk to him makes him quite uncomfortable. Tevis would rather have gone straight back to Lord Preston's castle and the library there before joining the Silver Hawk Company, but the Being had been quite clear about where its objectives lay.

So he joined the Silver Hawk Company. He'd said it was so he could map the eastern side of the mountains and recover any lost tomes of knowledge that could be found, but it was really because he was afraid of what the Being would do to him if he didn't do what it said. So now, here he is, a mercenary, hoping he doesn't get killed, but being unable to flee somewhere safer for fear of getting killed. He'd often spoke, theoretically, of people being stuck between a rock and a hard place. He just never thought he'd be the one in that position.

Also, he'd just as soon not run into any snakes, thank you very much.

Background Knives:

Snake Pit: When he was 9, Tevis fell into a pit of (non-poisonous, non-constricter) snakes. While he was never in any real danger, the experience so scarred him that even to this day he's terrified of snakes.

His Mentor: Abeldar Monkhood is a priest of Oghma who ran a school in the village where Tevis grew up. He was the one who noticed the boy's keen and inquisitive mind and encouraged his study, thinking that perhaps one day he would become a priest of Oghma. Priesthood was never something Tevis was cut out for, but Abeldar still provided him with a good education and a recommendation to Lord Preston Havram as the new keep librarian.

The Treasure Map: Five years after he started working for Lord Preston as a librarian, Lord Preston gave him a map with some writings on it. The map appeared to show a section of the Razorspine Mountains, and he was asked to translate and copy the map and provide further details. Upon doing so, he informed Lord Preston that the map claimed to show the location of a great treasure of gold and gems.

Lord Preston Havram: Lord Preston, Tevis's employer, gave a copy of the map to his eldest son and sent him and a dozen of his best knights to find the treasure. When they didn't return after three months, he sent his second-eldest son and fifty knights with a copy of the map. Six months later, when they still hadn't returned, Lord Preston sent out a conscription order, and a full year after his eldest son left, personally lead an expedition of ten knights and 340 conscripts in search of the treasure, as well as Tevis (after applying a great deal of pressure). He left his third son, 16-year old Lionel, in charge.

The Expedition: The expedition reached the base of the Razorspine Mountains after a week and entered into the pass indicated on the map. The going was slow - the army did not move quickly - and they hadn't made it very far before they camped. That night, they were attacked by clawed creatures that roared loudly and shook the ground beneath their feet when they ran, who were unimpeded in the night. Tevis never saw them, as he managed to successfully cower in fear. 49 conscripts died in the attack.
The next night, they dug a trench around the camp to disrupt such creatures, and lit more torches to better see an attack coming. This time, the attack came from the air - massive winged creatures that snatched men and horses from the ground and carried them off or dropped them to their dooms. Tevis fired a couple of crossbow bolts at them and hid under a wagon. They lost 4 horses and 30 more conscripts.
The next night, over halfway to where the treasure was supposed to be, they dug a trench, lit the torches, and watched the sky. Yet nothing came. Tevis was concerned, and suggested they turn back. After all, they had found no sign of the knights or either of Lord Preston's sons. Shouldn't they have found something by now? Yet Lord Preston, his mind gripped by thoughts of the treasure, insisted they press on.
The worst came that night. They found both of his sons and the lost knights. Half-decayed, riding skeletal horses, riding through the camp and slaughtering indiscriminately. They burst from the ground within the trench. The conscripts - and Tevis - seeing the murderous corpses, panicked. Lord Preston and the knights tried to rally them, but the fear was too much. Tevis had just finished blindly shoving scrolls and books into his pack and started running when a knight rounded the corner, lowered his lance, and skewered him right through the stomach.

The Being: As Tevis lay dying, screams and the occasional clash of steel on steel around him, he suddenly saw something standing over him. It had the antlers of a stag atop the head of an owl. Although it's torso was human-shaped, it was covered in feathers all down its legs, which were reversed like a horse's and ended in a pair of hooves. Four wings were folded along its back. It knelt over him, and spoke in a voice which seemed to reverberate from everywhere. It offered to save Tevis's life, and even grant him power, in exchange for serving it as its agent. If Tevis agreed and refused to do as commanded, it would kill him and claim his soul, but it offered survival now. Tevis didn't have a problem with obedience, and he didn't want to die, so he agreed. Blackness overtook him, and when he awoke, he lay in a battlefield, no longer wounded, with many dead around him.

The Message Hide: Next to him was a properly preserved piece of animal hide. When he picked it up, a message appeared on it. It commanded him to venture to the eastern side of the Razorspine Mountains and seek the silver hawk. The parchment then changed to a map, showing him the way. It was clear the Being was giving him his orders. Not even bothering to see if Lord Preston remained alive, Tevis set forth towards where he needed to go. He felt the call of home in his mind, but after thinking it over, decided that ignoring this was a good way to end up like the rest of the dead here.

• What do you expect from this game? I expect a good, fun adventure exploring somewhere new.
  • What do you expect from me (The GM?) I expect the GM to provide an interesting story and populate the world with interesting NPCs to interact with.
  • What do you expect from other players? I expect the players to treat everyone (including the GM) with courtesy and respect, and to not attempt to sabotage or actively combat each other.
Edited by Phntm888 (see edit history)
Name
Specialty
1d8 3

Hi Phntm, still interested in adding some knives to this character to flesh it out?

I moved the application window up to end on Sunday night since we've already had a great character turnout.

13 hours ago, Aspekt said:

Hi Phntm, still interested in adding some knives to this character to flesh it out?

I moved the application window up to end on Sunday night since we've already had a great character turnout.

I was slowly working on this, but I don't know if I'll have it done by Sunday. I'll try, but no guarantees.

...Okay, not gonna lie, that is a lot cooler than I could have come up with on my own using Heroforge. I will happily make use of that.

He's not quite monastic - I just thought the tonsure worked because he couldn't be bothered for more complex hair.

Tevis Longfellow - Human Warlockimage.png.667add266783b8c689e119208c924c0b.png

AC: 13 | HP: 15/15 | Saves: Str +0, Dex +2, Con +1, Int +2, Wis +1, Cha +5 | Passive Perception: 9 | Passive Insight: 9 | Init: +2 | Spell Slots: 2/2

This is what happened.

"This is what I said." 

This is what I think.

OOC