Discussion

5 minutes ago, Rudra said:

I do have a little question about rules(and one about Lusinga)

Does the save to disbelief illusions from the illusion sphere benefit from saves vs mind-affecting effects? what about the other will saves of that sphere(es. overwhelming sensation talent) ?

Is Lusinga an illusion even for mechanical purposes? what i mean is, if an enemy attack him, would the foe get a will to disbelieve?

I'm trying to understand how easily Biara would recognize illusions, when interacting with them.

Illusions are not mind-affecting effects, but can have mind-affecting riders (fascination being a common one). The illusion is a magical projection, but it is not just in your head. Overwhelming Sensation creates illusory sensory overload (loud images, sharp pains, etc), but they're also not in your head.

Lusinga is an illusion even for mechanical purposes, yes. Sometimes he's an illusory companion created with Create Reality, which possesses a full statblock. Most of the time, he is a normal illusion.

You get a Will save to disbelieve an illusion whenever the illusion interacts meaningfully with you (an illusory creature connecting with an attack or grapple, being engulfed in an illusory fire, or when a glamor is cast directly on you, for example), and whenever you spend a move action or greater to interact with the illusion. Spending a free action casually talking to an illusion would not grant a save, nor would walking past an illusion and bumping shoulders with it, but using a move action to examine an illusion, attacking it as part of a standard or full-round action, casting a spell that takes at least a move action to cast and which targets the illusion — all are actions which would grant a save.

Interacting with an illusion with a means that could detect it but with less than a move action (running your hand along a wall — part of which is an illusion not enhanced with Illusionary Touch — as you make your way down a corridor) would not grant a save, but could give cause to devote an action towards making a save (you can notice your hand clip through the stone, but not automatically be able to deduce that it happened because of an illusion).

Keep in mind that a character is not going to automatically assume that any given object or creature they see is an illusion unless they are suspicious in a very specific way and, lacking cause to interact with it, simply will not make a save against it (and creatures who are suspicious in this very specific way waste a lot of their time examining mundane, non-illusory objects... or pick up the Vigilant Skeptic feat). Detecting magic and sensing the illusion sphere in a room or from a creature, or stepping into a weirdly-shaped room in a dungeon or palace while exploring it as an adventurer could definitely produce cause to investigate things more closely, but as neither is an action spent interacting with an illusion, they do not grant saves. It's also possible to guess correctly that there is an illusion in an area, and then proceed to waste actions interacting with non-illusory objects or objects covered with dummy illusions. For example, Spark could hide a chest behind an illusory wall, but also cover a different wall in an illusion that makes it feel like a wall, to throw off any divination-gifted looters.

Is Biara a highly paranoid person, to the point that she would suspect that a person she has met that she knows is an ally is, in fact, an illusory projection? Even with the knowledge that this person is an illusionist? If, as is likely, the answer to that question is no, then she will have opportunity to question Lusinga's reality whenever he touches her or vice-versa. Conveniently, he is not a hugger (though that's actually quite common for mages). If the answer to that question is yes, then she can make a saving throw by spending a move action to squint suspiciously at him, possibly ruffle his cloak. If she fails the save, then she will not having cause to squint suspiciously again, as she is quite satisfied that he is, in fact, real.

the answer is "hell no", shes overconfident and quite gullible, spark and lusinga will easily trick her, as long as they can avoid triggering the will save.

edit. however the illusion sphere use as example " 1 minute spent attempting diplomacy with the (illusionary) dragon " as valid interaction, for disbelief purposes; the party is going to spend more than 1 minute talking with Lusinga

Edited by Rudra (see edit history)

2 minutes ago, Mister Doctor said:

Don't worry, I'm sure Danika, Olympia, and Eosi are all exactly what they seem to be and not a one is actually three kobolds in a trench coat.

Shhh! I had to use a lot of private tags in my app! XD

7 minutes ago, Mister Doctor said:

Also, on the off chance someone sees through la Veritas's tricks, we could always reenact one of the greatest sniper scenes. There's a chance an illusion will be disbelieved but a 7.62×51mm rifle round does not care if you believe in it. It believes in itself.

That is a spectacular line.

Alright, it looks like everyone has officially finished preparations and are ready to rock'n'roll! I will get this game rolling tomorrow in that case, seeing as tonight is my girlfriend and I's date night.

On 2/14/2024 at 10:15 AM, Ratpigeon said:

What are your lines re: content, Saber?

I don't really have any lines that could conceivably be crossed by ToS-abiding players and am fairly desensitized to more mature or serious subject matter. I've actually ran through an entire campaign set in lore-accurate Nidal at one point with a group of players who read through Nidal: Land of Shadows and thought it would be cool to adventure there with no warning labels, which led to a game that was as much Hellraiser as it was a Pathfinder game.

Side note: Rednal has been working hard and most of the stuff from Legends of the Spheres is up on the Spheres wikidot now! I don't remember if anybody besides me is actually using Guile talents, but one of my talents is from LotS so I can finally link to it. (Belligerent Choreography is really good.)

8 hours ago, Mister Doctor said:

Let's see...

Sniper Ancillary using all their tricks is 2d10+5d6+7 damage with a 17-20x2 crit range with their usual rifle. That's 36 damage on average. You can provide stuff like Beam Cannons, right?

I don't remember precisely but I did a few tests and, on the large sized ancillary I got an cone attack scifi gun (basically dragon breath spell, but better) whose base damage were around 12d8, before enhancements and whatever you can add, the range was short so no sniping, but long enough to annihilate the typical battlefield(I think 70 feet cone, but I'm not sure) for long range there is the rail gun, the rocket launcher or the grenade launcher.

Edit. Found it, vortex gun, technological weapons, the cone has a 100ft range! And can nauseate foes. On a medium creature the damage drop to a respectable 10d6

Edited by Rudra (see edit history)

4 hours ago, Rudra said:

I don't remember precisely but I did a few tests and, on the large sized ancillary I got an cone attack scifi gun (basically dragon breath spell, but better) whose base damage were around 12d8, before enhancements and whatever you can add, the range was short so no sniping, but long enough to annihilate the typical battlefield(I think 70 feet cone, but I'm not sure) for long range there is the rail gun, the rocket launcher or the grenade launcher.

Edit. Found it, vortex gun, technological weapons, the cone has a 100ft range! And can nauseate foes. On a medium creature the damage drop to a respectable 10d6

Mercy of mercies, it's an exotic weapon, so you do need to have spent a week studying a real one before you can add it as a bound weapon. This weapon costs the entire WBL of a 14th-level character.

It falls to the GM, but I don't support a martial firearm character being able to trivially outclass every other character in the party at 9th level.

Edited by AdellRazh (see edit history)

I did ask it, in my application thread, and got gm approval.

I'm sorry that you feel outclassed, if others feel the same I can change biara and remove technology weapons, the game should be fun for everyone