Name: Siegfried Duval
Race: Human
Class: Wizard
Subclass: Illusionist
Background: Dilettante (Custom)
Level: 1

Personality

Traits:

The common folk love me for my kindness and generosity.

I don't like to get my hands dirty, and I won't be caught dead in unsuitable accommodations.

Two weeks ago, I was enthralled with my latest project. Now, I think it's garbage.

Ideals:

Independence. I am a free spirit—no one tells me what to do.

Lacking...

Bonds:

I'm determined to impress the leaders of my house, and to become a leader myself. If only I could work out how.

A favour owed to the Unseelie Court...

Flaws:

I'm easily distracted and rarely finish what I started.

I don't appreciate the value of gold, and am naive to the real world beyond my pampered upbringing

Languages

Common, Elven

Lost Item

Hush now...That is a secret.

History

Siegfried’s father sighed as he pressed the wax seal against another chit to finance his son’s next flight of fancy. He would have said that his son had always been flighty, but hindsight tended to pick out only what it wanted to see. In truth Siegfried had been a normal child, as had his sister. Yet for all Lord Duval’s hopes his son had ended up a fop, whereas his daughter was a sharp minded businesswoman who by all accounts was set to lead their family even higher in the labyrinthine game of Waterdhavian nobles. He supposed one out of two wasn’t bad. 

A servant smoothly took the letter away, replacing it with a glass of amber liquid as Lord Duval leaned back into the rich velvet highback chair. It was still frustrating though. It wasn’t like the boy was stupid. Whatever his latest interest was he took to it quickly, picking up the basics with ease. Nor was he lazy as such – he threw himself into each endeavour wholly, for as long as it held his interest. This was the only reason he was still willing to finance the youthful dilettante, in the hope that this might just be Siegfried’s actual passion. It never was though. Anywhere from days to months later, he would lose interest – usually when he started having to put in real work rather than skate by on his natural talent, and drift onto the next topic. He lacked the drive to commit to anything.

Siegfried skipped out of his latest lesson with Magus Arien, one of the foremost arcane scholars in the city, his lurid purple suit drawing the public’s eye. They had been covering illusory magics again, one of Siegfried’s favourite topics. They were beautiful, entertaining, ephemeral. As soon as he changed his mind, so could they. They made excellent talk at parties as well and were generally useful in life. A splash of mud from the cart? Gone. Food bland? Nevermind. Boring painting? Not any more! Still, even despite his interest in illusions he’d started to find his attention wandering in lessons. Calligraphy was fun for a while, but now he could do the letters it was just writing. More spells seemed to eat more and more time. He rounded the corner of his latest favourite tea house and met up with Sebastien, Aubrey and Monty. He tossed his gem studded staff up in his hand, and with a bright smile summoned a bunch of illusory flowers for a passing maiden. He was quickly seated inside - the staff were delighted whenever he attended for the gold flowed like wine, Siegfried happy to indulge in every whim and of course he tipped well too. 

Several months passed, and soon he struggled to even show the slightest interest in his lessons – the only thing keeping him there politeness, the only thing Arien a very heavy pouch of gold. He fiddled with the expensive arcane focus his father had bought as a reward for learning his first proper incantations – an amethyst embedded in his cane to match his equally loud waistcoat and trousers – whilst the Magus tried desperately to draw his attention back to correct usage of the Phi symbol. A buzzing at the window caught his attention, a blurred creature that the Magus seemed not to have noticed. It coalesced, and winked at him, before darting to another corner where it pulled a face. It proceeded to taunt and entertain Siegfried for the remainder of the lesson, so much so that he failed to notice Magus Arien pulling out a thick treatise with a sigh and settling down to his own research. 

When their allotted time ended, Siegfried shot out the room, eagerly in pursuit of this little buzzing creature. It could barely sit still for a second, and when it now spoke he could only hear a whine. It was apparent from its actions though that it found him slow and dull. He couldn’t particularly say why it kept waiting for him. Rushing to keep up with it lest it lost interest, he barely noticed leaving the city, and didn’t notice leaving the woodland path. It was only as the brambles grew thicker, picking at the fine silk clothing and loose shift sleeves that he slowed and thought for a moment. Too late really, as all he heard around was high pitched laughter jumping from spot to spot. No sign of the path, just bramble all around, and deep shadows that seemed to spill further out in the corner of his eyes. A wind whipped through the woods, keening and cold, cutting to his core. He looked around, with a worried smile on his lips. “Hello?” he called out. “I mean no harm!” Laughter followed, sharp and cruel. “I can offer a gift?” he chanced, feeling for the pouch at his waist. Nothing there. A raspberry drew his eye to a tree branch, where for just a moment sat the little blue creature he had followed, his coin purse slung over its back. “What gift could you offer me,” a cold, imperial voice rang out. He looked back, and between the frosted brambles hovered an angular maiden, with bone white skin and tattered black dress. When had it grown frosty? It was the middle of summer! He sought answers in his mind, filling the space with a long bow. “Perhaps a show?” he stammered, twirling his cane. He muttered a few words, bringing forth a half formed illusory dove from his hat. The creature smiled cruelly, teeth glinting like knives. Around him the brambles shrivelled and blackened, and the trees grew close. Faces appeared in the bark taunting and malicious. “A paltry show, but you have promise.” It sang with the voice of the wind through dead autumn leaves. “I shall claim instead a future favour, in exchange for this lesson.

Unsure, Siegfried could only fall back on his noble training, and offered gracious thanks. The creature cackled, eyes glinting like stars. “Bargain struck.” The world shivered, once, and when Siegfried blinked he found himself back in dappled sunlight, birdsong in the trees, and the path a scant few yards behind him. The only sign of the encounter his missing coin purse and torn clothing. No matter, he reassured himself, both were easily replaced. 

The following week he was oddly focused once more in his lesion, his eyes never leaving Magus Arien, and the illusory magic seemed to spring quicker from his command than ever before, even if it were a little colder and a little darker than before…

Backstory Cliff Notes
  • Rich noble's son, never had to work nor wanted for anything
  • Amused himself dabbling in all sorts, but largely lacked the drive to commit to anything properly
  • Very expensive tutor in magic when he developed a passing interest in wizardry , taught him some fundamentals before he lost interest in the concept of hard work and study
  • Brief meeting with a Fey - possibly a fragment of the Queen of Air and Darkness - that tricked him into owing a favour, to be collected...
  • Father's increasing disappointment, sister slated to take over family business and lands, doesn't really care.
  • Just wants to enjoy life! Never really experienced loss.
  • Vain, spends money easily and generously because he doesn't know or appreciate it's worth.
  • Now forced to build on those barely remembered fundamentals, a lot more appreciative of the hardworking tutor who genuinely cared and tried despite Siegfried's laziness.

Edited by PureChance (see edit history)
Name
Stats 1
repeat(drop(4d6,lowest,1),6) 1,2,4,4,4,5,5,6,1,2,3,6,1,1,5,6,1,1,4,4,1,2,4,5
Stats 2
repeat(drop(4d6,lowest,1),6) 1,5,6,6,3,5,5,6,3,3,5,6,4,5,5,6,2,2,2,6,1,5,5,6
Stats 3
repeat(drop(4d6,lowest,1),6) 1,2,3,6,1,1,1,3,1,1,4,4,5,5,6,6,3,3,5,6,1,2,6,6
Lost Item
1d8 6

• 1 month later...
Posted (edited)

spacer.pngSiegfried Duval

Human Dilettante, Illusionist 

AC: 13 (Base) | HP: 9/9 () | HD: 1/1 | Speed: 30 ft. | Initiative: +3
Senses: Passive Perception 12, Insight 12, Investigation 16.
Str: 10 (0) | Dex: 16 (+3) | Con: 16 (+3) | Int: 18 (+4) | Wis: 14 (+2) | Cha: 17 (+3)
Languages: Common, Elven
Spell Slots: L1 2/2 |

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Nulla porttitor nisl in dui ultricies tempor. Praesent ut metus pretium, placerat tellus vitae, iaculis magna. Aliquam aliquet enim urna, consectetur bibendum elit euismod id. Suspendisse potenti. Donec quis libero quis arcu condimentum placerat eu ut lectus. Maecenas lobortis interdum sem at bibendum. Etiam at pretium tortor. Nam tincidunt vestibulum consectetur. Nunc at tempus urna. Cras et justo purus.

OOC

Action: -

Bonus Action: -

Movement: -

Reaction: -

Object Interaction: -

Concentration: -

Actions & Resources

Actions:

Unarmed . Melee Weapon Attack: +0 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 1 bludgeoning damage.

Quarterstaff . Melee Weapon Attack: +2 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 1d6 (1d8) bludgeoning damage. Versatile

Light Crossbow . Ranged Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, ranged 80/320 ft., one target. Hit: 1d8 + 3 piercing damage. Loading, Two-Handed

Bonus Actions:

-

Reactions:

-

Class Features:

Arcane Recovery . 1/1 Once per day when you finish a short rest, you can choose expended spell slots to recover. The spell slots can have a combined level that is equal to or less than half your wizard level (rounded up), and none of the slots can be 6th level or higher.

Edited by PureChance (see edit history)

• 2 months later...