Mac Quill, Owlin Druid (Circle of Stars)

spacer.pngAbility Scores (Stats2): 15, 14, 14, 12, 9, 8

Character Sheet

Basic Information

Name: Mac Quill
Race: Owlin
Class: Druid
Subclass: Circle of the Stars
Background: Feylost
Level: 1

Personality

Traits: If someone is in trouble, I'm always ready to lend a hand to help.

I'm haunted by Fey laughter that only I can hear, though I know it's just my mind playing tricks on me.

Ideals: Rule of Three. Everything in the world happens in threes. I see the "Rule of Three" everywhere.

Bonds: I can't bring myself to harm a Fey creature, either because I consider myself one or because I fear the repercussions.

Flaws: I'm forgetful. Sometimes I can't even remember the simplest things.

Languages

Common
Gnomish
Sylvan
Druidic

Lost Item

Hush now...That is a secret.

History

Long, long ago, the world was ruled by a mighty King; wisest above all in magic, arms strong enough to reach across three worlds, beauty as blinding as the sun, and despite all his gifts, brutal above all. It was the fairy who stole his name, scattered it in the hidden places of the world so his power and his memory were lost. They didn't do this out of mischief, or vengeance, but for the good of all. So mighty, and bloody was this king; that it was the first and last time when the Fey united. Fomorian, is his name now; a false name, a powerless name, to keep the King contained. For if any were to ever be known, Fomorian would be no more and the King would return; and doom us all. But how, was Fomorian imprisoned? You know the heroes three: Bodbh Deargh the onyx-furred Firbolg, Eodain the Alabaster Blade, and Lugh of the Long Hand. This is their tale...

In a corner of the camp, surrounded by children, is the storyteller, Mac Quill. An elderly Owlin always stooped over his cane, the old man takes great joy in telling the stories of the three heroes that saved the mortal world, the feywild, and the underdark from the Fomorians. His body seems to grow in size and his feathers darken as he speaks the lines of Bodbh Deargh; the beauty and compassion of Eodain shines with her healing touch; and he stands straight and his hands steady as he mimes Lugh's fateful throw. There is a magic in his performance, much more than how he normally appears.

Outside the show, Mac Quill likes to tell stories, but keeps his past well hidden. When asked, Mac Quill always tells a new story: He is on the run because he killed a man, he was stolen and transformed by a witch, he joined to be with his late son who loved the circus. There is an ongoing bet for the lucky fellow who can finally reveal the truth of his history. All this, of course reveals the story of a strange and lonely old man who lives in a world of his own. He has no friends with whom to share his burdens and secrets. He hides behind a fanciful tale of heroes, fairies, and a forgotten king. Some joke, that perhaps he really did come from the Feywild and that his spirit is lost to the Fey.

This joke made sense when the Witchlight Carnival finally came to town. It called to Mac Quill like nothing else did before. It was so alluring, so comforting, and so welcoming that the Owlin found himself telling his stories to the children around him. His impromptu show caught the eyes of Mr. Witch and Mr. Light. Mac Quill and his Fairytale would be a welcome attraction, claimed the two carnival owners. It felt so right. How could Mac Quill say no?

Stats1

Stats2

Stats3

Edited by MidnightPoet (see edit history)
Name
Stats1
repeat(drop(4d6,lowest),6) 1,1,3,3,1,4,4,6,1,4,5,6,2,3,3,4,1,1,3,3,3,5,5,5
Stats2
repeat(drop(4d6,lowest),6) 1,3,5,6,4,4,4,6,1,3,6,6,1,2,3,3,2,2,5,5,1,2,2,5
Stats3
repeat(drop(4d6,lowest),6) 2,2,4,4,1,2,5,6,2,5,6,6,3,3,4,5,1,1,3,5,2,3,3,6

@MidnightPoet

Ooo! That's an interesting character.

I'm guessing the camp mentioned in the backstory is different than the Witchlight Carnival? Because the Witchlight Carnival is more than a mere camp. ;)

Why did Mac Quill sneak into the carnival?

Other than telling stories to the children at camp, what has Mac Quill been up to before the Witchlight Carnival's return?

Thank you. I also think he has a very compelling story that has to be peeled back like an onion. Maybe I can make that a theme, like he smells of onions...

Mac was actually meant to be a new member to the Witchlight Carnival. I used camp to refer simply to his corner of the carnival, but I thought I'd make it a little more clear how strange he feels outside of the Feywild and his work there.

If he needs to sneak into the carnival, then he could just simply lose track of time while he tells his story there.

Edited by MidnightPoet (see edit history)