Interest check for Vaults & Vows (a 5e/Ironsworn hack)

Vladim

Big fat disclaimer first and foremost: I don't know when, or if, I'll have the time to organise this, but the idea has been at the back of my head for a while now.

I've fallen in love with Ironsworn, and I love its flexibility, and the option to play solo or cooperative (GM-less) games. I've already ran several of those and I'm pretty comfortable with the system, and I'm really interested in Vaults and Vows, an Ironsworn hack that seeks to emulate D&D 5e. I feel like with most folks being comfortable with 5e and that kind of fantasy, it's more easily accessible than more esoteric hacks, or perhaps even the grounded, bleak setting of core Ironsworn.

I want to move away from GM-led games and innovate a little with more modern tools, so I was wondering: would there be interest in a truly collaborative, truly GM-less Vaults and Vows game, where the players jointly come up with the characters, setting, opening premise and story from thereon? Or is this simply too niche and I should just stick to the games I already have?

Feedback welcome!

If my schedule allows it when you decide to go ahead with this, I'd be tentatively interested. I'd need to buy and read through V&V first to see how I feel about it specifically, but I've played one co-operative Ironsworn Starforged game (2 players) and enjoyed how the system works for joint stewardship of a story.

I mean, I've never looked at v&v. Is it still base ironsworn mechanics?

I like the idea of a collaborative world but i often personally find it hard to accept some swaths of stuff players come up with. Like if my character isn't pious, I'm likely to ignore anything created about deities or religions unless they directly affect me (being hunted down, etc). This is probably more a me problem than anything about the process.

5 hours ago, Malkavian Grin said:

I mean, I've never looked at v&v. Is it still base ironsworn mechanics?

I like the idea of a collaborative world but i often personally find it hard to accept some swaths of stuff players come up with. Like if my character isn't pious, I'm likely to ignore anything created about deities or religions unless they directly affect me (being hunted down, etc). This is probably more a me problem than anything about the process.

Yes, still base Ironsworn, but it replaces the core assets with its own, which break down to ancestry (or "race"), background and class, ala 5e. Subclass and magic items too, once enough XP is had.

Actually, although the physical product is paid, the creator has kindly made the digital version free: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1hBwpWN1hXWFUXF_I5nBVpNL4YuCh2q0HS3H40UXJx2U/edit?usp=drivesdk

I don't know if this has been edited for recent updates made for balance reasons, but I could ask Sofia (the creator) on the Ironsworn Discord server.

And yes, the idea would be to come up with characters, setting, opening premise, core themes and whatnot collaboratively-ideally something that's exciting and engaging for everyone-and see where it takes us.

3 hours ago, Seandemonium said:

I could be interested.

I don't have Vaults and Vows, though I could acquire it.

I have Ironsworn and Delve as well as a third party magic one Arcanum.

Cool! I've heard good things about Arcanum but I've yet to try it.

Cool cool. That's not a terrible amount of interest. I can work with that!

I'm in the process of wrapping up some adventures but I may yet set this one up when my PbP/gaming schedule clears, which should be in a couple of months. I'll notify everyone in this thread when that happens.

Here's a link to Ironsworn (Ironsworn - Tabletop Roleplaying Games (ironswornrpg.com)) and Vaults & Vows (Vaults & Vows Assets - Google Docs) again for anyone who wants to read up on them until then.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...