Round 2 - The Mekhala Mad Dash of 2037!

EmBark

From the beginning it was clear that the D8 dropship wasn't the fastest ship. But that wasn't why they were there. So while they moved quickly behind the others, they did drop back to the last place. But inside the D8 a lot of activity was taking place. The sensors of the dropship were the best available and extra computers had been installed to process the input. A couple of officers were looking at their screens as the other ships raced ahead. With all sensors operating at full capacity, they monitored the other ships's capacities and how they reacted to the challenges ahead.

A lot of information was gained this way as the D8 followed the others. While this race wouldn't yield a lot of purely military information, the way different people reacted to various challenges plus the technologies in the racing ships were things they would also see in military ships of the various people. So the Bafatis had decided to enter in the race with the idea of being last, but gathering a lot of interesting information while doing so.

The four pilots would go on the ceremony, where they would smile when others would talk about them being last (except for those that didn't make it through). The other officers would stay on the transport ship that brought them here and together with a larger group of officers starting to analyse the data to add this to the treat analysis that was done about all the other Elect.

VIP Platform, the Llort Ambassador

Both Duke and Duchess murmured assent at the ambassador's point. Strange though they might appear to those dwelling in more hospitable orbits, the fundamental humanity of the Llort was on full display.

"I welcome an opportunity for cooperation with the Protectorate, ambassador. What is your proposal?"

VIP Platform, High Lady Anathe

The Duke hid his unease at the High Lady's unsettling gaze masterfully. That she remained so vital was a testimony to the human spirit, but it was a struggle not to pity the old woman despite her vaunted station.

"There is nothing to forgive, High Lady. The gravitational pull of ceremony had all of Dur-Shalkhir in its grip that day. The presence of the Imperial Court after so many years in the wilderness was already a priceless gift."

Old Imperial was easy on Esarhaddon's tongue - though most in the greater sphere of the House of Fire were educated primarily in Low Imperial, the Ducal Family and other high nobles maintained the old ways as best they could.

"I hope you have settled into the rhythms of life in Mekhala? One can only assume it is a pastoral existence compared to the glories of Ophon."

59 minutes ago, TheDarkDM said:

Both Duke and Duchess murmured assent at the ambassador's point. Strange though they might appear to those dwelling in more hospitable orbits, the fundamental humanity of the Llort was on full display.

"I welcome an opportunity for cooperation with the Protectorate, ambassador. What is your proposal?"

Stepping away a bit from prying ears, ambassador Yessikruz Donce makes a gesture to the stars in the sky outside.

"The Mekhala Mad Dash is currently going through a warzone of your making. It is clear to us that you have a drive for expansion, most easily achieved in your direct neighborhood and even moreso without interference from the rest of the Elect. There are a few regions imperial records appear to vague on or entirely lost. Regions that are adjacent to yours within the belt of Mekhala."

Her tone turned a little deeper, darker perhaps.

"Regions that deserve to be a part of the Empire properly, under the Elect. I wished to ascertain whether it was your intention to expand there as well and offer an agreement to the House of Fire. We call it The Llort Society Protectorate Guarantee of Regional Exploration and Surveillance. We send our people to survey those regions, relay the information to you, enable you to more easily seize those regions. In return, we ask only two things: a perpetual Trade Post in each of the regions we explore and the freedom for the Imperial Cult to proselytize and spread there without interference. Would those terms be acceptable?"

On 2/23/2024 at 10:49 PM, TheDarkDM said:

The Duke hid his unease at the High Lady's unsettling gaze masterfully. That she remained so vital was a testimony to the human spirit, but it was a struggle not to pity the old woman despite her vaunted station.

"There is nothing to forgive, High Lady. The gravitational pull of ceremony had all of Dur-Shalkhir in its grip that day. The presence of the Imperial Court after so many years in the wilderness was already a priceless gift."

Old Imperial was easy on Esarhaddon's tongue - though most in the greater sphere of the House of Fire were educated primarily in Low Imperial, the Ducal Family and other high nobles maintained the old ways as best they could.

"I hope you have settled into the rhythms of life in Mekhala? One can only assume it is a pastoral existence compared to the glories of Ophon."

The High Lady gives a bland smile. "When one grows as old as I have, dear Duke, one finds that the where matters little compared to the what, the why, and the who." She waves an expansive arm towards the racers. "The journey, and the race, are far more interesting than the destination or the finish line. It is my fortune to be able to take the journey at my own pace, wherever the path ahead leads."

Valus Vile ripped through the maze, arcane runes blazing a hole past any barriers, and rocketing ahead to victory. She paid off each intelligent thing she encountered along the way, whipping personal magics with a fluttering hand, and in a surprise twist in the final stretch activated a blackmarket Khylokian surprise engine detonating an explosion rocketing her to victory. She unbound her serpent familiar and walked upon the stage, taking the belt in one hand, and removing her helmet with the other. Her face was half fresh and half withered, a scar on the healthy side underlining her eye, and hair like Veehran sand and moonlight. Her eyes burned, golden python retinas soaking in the glory of her prize.

“All things are possible through the Mother Serpent! I thank her for this honor, as she blesses all her children, from Ophon to far distant stars, and permits me this glory! Thank you Mother. You speak with the tongue of the Emperor!”

Meeting Yessikruz's eyes as her voice dipped low, the Duke's gaze was alive with ambition. In his mind's eye, he watched the blood-red thrust of his assault fleet already subduing the nearest of the unworthy regions in their orbit, and now he imagined more vectors of attack. The House of Fire's civilizing hand could reach farther than his forefathers had dared hope.

"Ambassador Donce, your people and our shared faith are welcome in any region within my demesne. You may consider the House of Fire an eager partner to the Guarantee of Regional Exploration and Surveillance."

The Duke nodded at the High Lady's wisdom, and in his silence the Duchess placed a pale hand against his arm.

"Well, High Lady, should your path lead once more through Dur-Shalkhir you may rely on all the hospitality our humble House may offer."