Character creation discussion

dalamb

10 minutes ago, KellyCat said:

He said in your character thread that it is not an allowed source. Sorry.

My eyes must have refused to see it ... my wife always accuses me of male pattern blindness... she might be right

9 minutes ago, bloodsprite said:

My eyes must have refused to see it ... my wife always accuses me of male pattern blindness... she might be right

While I am not a doctor, and can not confirm such a condition exists... It is a possibility. I could suggest a few other ideas on a character if none of the suggestions the others in the character thread came up with appeal to you.

44 minutes ago, KellyCat said:

While I am not a doctor, and can not confirm such a condition exists... It is a possibility. I could suggest a few other ideas on a character if none of the suggestions the others in the character thread came up with appeal to you.

Yeah I could use some, it was perfect, was looking for +Cha and amphibious, found one that also had +Dex, and have now fell in love with it being a frog.

Willing to settle for +Cha and can choose to look like a frog somehow.

I'd rather just have the OP "Watercraft" power chopped off.

21 minutes ago, bloodsprite said:

Yeah I could use some, it was perfect, was looking for +Cha and amphibious, found one that also had +Dex, and have now fell in love with it being a frog.

Willing to settle for +Cha and can choose to look like a frog somehow.

I'd rather just have the OP "Watercraft" power chopped off.

Locathah might be up your alley... Though it lacks the CHA.

Doppleganger is a possibility if you don't mind the buyoff and 4 racial hit die... that would get you the frog like shape with a small CHA boost.

Those are my first thoughts... The others suggested ideas in your thread too.

I would advise you to instead refluff something from allowed sources, since the first rejection stemmed from the source.

I think you can work around the lack of Cha bonus, through CP (up the Point Buy / get more items / get Spell Focus / ...).

6 minutes ago, namo said:

I would advise you to instead refluff something from allowed sources, since the first rejection stemmed from the source.

I think you can work around the lack of Cha bonus, through CP (up the Point Buy / get more items / get Spell Focus / ...).

Hmm good point, Frog looks is what I am going for then

Edited by bloodsprite (see edit history)

@dalamb, I am trying to get a specific effect. The only magic Item I see has three different effects. But, I only want one. Can I just make an item at 1/3rd the price with the single effect I'm looking for?

2 hours ago, TheBard101 said:

@dalamb, I am trying to get a specific effect. The only magic Item I see has three different effects. But, I only want one. Can I just make an item at 1/3rd the price with the single effect I'm looking for?

I also think it also depends on the 3 different effects, if one is greater than the other, like a staff that gives 3 different spells at different spell levels etc, each spell would cost more than the others while constructing the staff.

58 minutes ago, TheBard101 said:

TBH, all three effects are pretty level in their value I believe. None of them jump out.

Well, It might be the base cost of 1 thing, and 1.5 x 2 of the other two effects also lol, which might be even less expensive. The rule of adding additional things to a magic item. It's probably easier just to divide it by 3 lol.

On 3/17/2024 at 12:44 PM, bloodsprite said:

@dalamb what you think of Feytouched, I feel it is open ended how their physical description is?

https://web.archive.org/web/20090603083727/www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sp/20040213a

was also thinking of adding Amphibious Stormwrack Template, but hate the -2 Dex, and willing to pay CP to but that out.

I have been open to requests for official WotC web enhancements, but I am uneasy about “racial classes” for the same reasons I am uneasy about the monster classes in Savage Species, which I already excluded. So I’d rather not add Feytouched.

17 hours ago, TheBard101 said:

I am not up to fiddling with what "the right costs" might be for a custom magic item; my gut reaction is that 1/3 is too cheap but I have no idea why so I can't give you any guidance based on that notion. Magic items seem to get very expensive very fast; there aren't many Rings or Wondrous Items under 8k GP in the SRD, even in Pathfinder which has lots more magic items. Is there anything close to what you want in the Magic Item Compendium?

There's tons under 8k in the MIC. But I went there first (because they list all the DMG items too) and couldn't find anything. Heck, I went all over the Completes too. It's not a big deal. Worst case scenario, I could spend 8k and get the item I want with several effects I don't want. LOL I was just looking for something did ONLY what I wanted and couldn't find it.