Chapter 02d: Shadow of War (Wheelwatch Outpost)

Kamishiro_Rin

image.png.f43e797dc98446c97baef5b972307405.pngArtanis Brightblade

Human Knight of Solamnia 

AC: 21 (Plate, Shield +1) | HP: 38/38 (0 THP) | HD: 5/5 | Speed: 30 ft.
Senses: passive Perception 11, Insight 13, Investigation 9
Str: 18 (+4) | Dex: 8 (–1) | Con: 13 (+1) | Int: 8 (-1) | Wis: 12 (+1) | Cha: 16 (+3)
Languages: You can speak, read, and write Common and Solamnic

DR3 vs nonmagical bludgeoning, slashing, piercing. Force all attacks targeted at mount to target Artanis instead. Mount has Evasion

My words,  | My thoughts,’  | My actions . . .

Artanis sheaths his longsword, breathing heavily. He looks down on the broken body of the Red Dragon Captain at the base of the wall. The man had demonstrated none of the qualities of a true knight - no empathy, no leadership, no honour. It was a fitting end. Still, there is no time to rest despite the hard fought battle. If his allies' counts were true many more soldiers lie still within the fort, and they would have to move quickly to maintain the element of surprise. He nods towards Modri and their new companion of circumstance - the lady in white - before leading the way down the stairs.

With both keys secured by the freed prisoners, Artanis grunts as he sets his weight against the wheel of the gate, though any sound is disconcertingly suppressed once again by Coltan's divine powers. Despite his growing exhaustion, he musters enough drive to fight alongside the regular troops that Mayor Raven leads to take the fort, doing his best o bolster their resolve against the monsters and stepping in to save more than one that had hesitated in horror. He remembered all to clearly how he felt the first time he saw these draconians. He's thankful that the Mayor is here to oversee the interrogations, and avoid any more unpleasant instances...

Whilst the fort is secured and Coltan works on harvesting the dragonelle, Artanis introduces himself to the mage who had - surprisingly given her slight build - sent the Captain tumbling to his death. He makes sure to renew his stash of Red Dragon javelins before leaving, eager to return them to the enemy again, and leaves behind his regulars for the army's benefit. He's thrilled to see Tiergan back as well, the warhorse uninjured but clearly a little upset to be left out of the battle. "Don't worry, I'll make sure you're there for the next mission," Artanis promises him, laughing. "I'll not be trading you in for one of those dragons any time. That creature didn't have half your heart."

He's more than happy to be joined on the journey back to Kalaman by the other two prisoners as well; though he's clearly embarrassed by Vigdan recognising them as the 'Heroes of High Hill', he can't help hide a smile as well.

Back in Kalaman, word of Lord Barakis leading an assault causes Artanis to raise a mailed palm to his face and groan. For the benefit of Mage Fairla and Arlo, who may not have had the pleasure of meeting the infamous Barakis before, he shares his impression of the man as a blusterous lout full of hot air, and he is in no way surprised by Ser Darrett's concern. "Coltan is right, I'm sure Ser Barrett is doing his best, but we need to get there as soon as possible to minimise his influence. Preferably without meeting him till after, otherwise I'll be in the same position as Ser Darrett. We might have to strike a bit of a balance actually, if we're too successful we'll just embolden Lord Barakis and the Council to launch more operations spearheaded by him - at least till Marshall Vendri returns."

OOC

Action:

Bonus Action: 

Movement: 

Reaction: 

Object Interaction: 

Mount Action: 

Mount Movement: 

Actions & Resources

Actions:

Longsword (versatile). Melee Weapon Attack: +6 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 10 (1d8 + 6) slashing damage. Versatile damage: 9 (1d10 + 4) slashing damage.

Javelin (range, thrown) [0]. Thrown Weapon Attack: +6 to hit, ranged 30/120 ft., one target. Hit: 7 (1d6 + 4) piercing damage.

RDA Javelin (range, thrown) [12]. Thrown Weapon Attack: +6 to hit, ranged 30/120 ft., one target. Hit: 7 (1d6 + 4) piercing damage, 1d4 fire damage.

Lance (special). Melee Weapon Attack: +6 to hit, reach 10 ft., one target. Hit: 12 (1d12 + 6) piercing damage, 1d4 Fire damage.

Battlefield Presence.

Bonus Actions:

Rallying Mark

Urgent Orders  

Helpful Word

Commanding Rally 3/3 (Long Rest)

Class Features:

Precise Strike. 3/3 (Long Rest)

Leadership Dice (d6). 5/5 (Short Rest, 1/turn)

Lead the Charge. When you roll initiative you gain temporary hit points equal to your Charisma modifier + your proficiency bonus (6 THP).

Edited by PureChance (see edit history)

Vigdan 'The Dog' Luchen

Variant Human Smuggler Scout Rogue

smuggler1-2.png.53cb73f51d778015c4d7e51e12f5e926.png

AC: 16 (Studded Leather, +4 Dex) | HP: 43/43 | Speed: 30 ft.

Senses: passive Perception 15, Insight 15, Investigation 12
Str: 8 (-1) | Dex: 18 (+4) | Con: 12 (+1) | Int: 14 (+2) | Wis: 14 (+2) | Cha: 10 (+0)
Languages: You can speak, read, and write Common, Solamnic and Thieves' Cant

“My words,” Vigdan said. | ‘My thoughts’ Vigdan thought. | My actions . . .

Vigdan stands in the courtyard of the freed Wheelwatch keep and enjoys a small break from the chaos of the last few days. He had never lost hope that they would get away somehow, but it had been close. He was lucky that he had been captured with Fairla and Arlo...and Lanal. Even Elgo. The annoying kender had probably done more to keep their minds off of their impending death than anyone.

The troopers from Vogel had captured the keep and were now going about the task of securing it. Vigdan took time to introduce himself to all of the others that had helped secure the keep. He was not really surprised to find that it was the same group that had organized the resistance in Vogler. He hadn't really gotten a good look at any of them in the chaos of Vogler. He bowed stiffly to the Knight Sir Artanis, shook hands with the dwarf Modri, nodded respectfully to the dwarven priest Coltan (even though his visage would probably haunt his nightmares for years to come), and offered his respects to the Sea elf Merituuli and to the dwarven woman Hunni. He checked to make sure Arlo, Fairla and Elgo were all well. Then the looting began in earnest.

When some of the other began to dress the dragonelle for parts, Vigdan jumped in and began to work on the corpse himself. He focused on the teeth once Coltan had said they could be turned into arrows.

An then they were on their way back to Kalaman. He was angry to find out that Lord Bakaris had taken the force that was supposed to be protecting Kalaman out of the city. Leave it to Bakaris to try to seize some glory instead of doing his job. This smelled like a classic distraction ploy to him as well.

OOC

Action:

Bonus Action:

Movement:

Reaction:

Arrows: 17/20

OOC: Extracted 20 dragonelle teeth, 32# of dragonelle meat.

Edited by RagallachMC (see edit history)
Name
Harvest Teeth
1d20 10
Harvest Meat
1d20+8 6

token1.png.1f361b5b69f15cd7a9ff716bb787caee.pngHunni Ravenwing, of clan Collic

Gully Dwarf Mage of High Sorcery Hexblade Warlock

AC: 18 (Scale Mail+2 Shield +2 Dex) | HP: 40/40 (15 THP) (hd 5d8) | Speed: 30 ft.
Senses: Darkvision, passive Perception 11, Insight 11, Investigation 9
Str: 8 (-1) | Dex: 14 (+2) | Con: 15 (+2) | Int: 8 (-1) | Wis: 12 (+1) | Cha: 19 (+4)
Languages: You can speak, read, and write Common, Gullytalk, Elven, and Dwarven

After the battle, Hunni glares and spits at the giant Coltan image that continues screaming, before turning away to look for more opponents to kill. As none are in the immediate area, she does her best to help the others in working the keys, mostly by staying out of the way and watching. When the soldiers come in, she cheers them on, safely, from the sidelines, and pokes at the dead bodies of the soldiers they killed earlier.

Mostly, she doesn't do much.

At the sight of the treasure, Hunni seems mostly disinterested, although the new (clean) uniforms do interest her, and she changes out her old, battered armor and shield for some new, shiny Dragon Army equipment. Except for the weapons. She already has weapons, and doesn't need or want anything new in that department. Jezebel might get jealous.

Back in Kalaman, as they approach the gates, she seems to remember something. "Oh! Right! The song!" she proclaims, and makes a few gestures with her hands and whip. Music seems to spring from the area around her, and she sings, rather poorly. "♪ ♫ Oh, Bakaris, the legend in his name, His honor shines, his deeds forever sung, His sacrifice, his valor, all the same, A hero’s anthem, from his heart was wrung!♫ ♪" Somehow, she remembers those words; and several more verses, from the bard's performance, which she sings and hums merrily as they move through the town.

After their briefing, she comments to Artanis, "You're probably right. Wish we could just leave him to fail on his own, but the cost to let him learn that lesson would be too great. Well, I'll go check in with Wyhan, see if she's got my test all arranged yet, if I don't have anything else to do, I could go with you."

OOC

Action: Casting Prestidigitation to make the background music.

Bonus Action:

Movement:

Reaction:

Actions and Resources

Actions

Eldritch Blast (cantrip). Ranged Spell Attack: + 7 to hit, range 120 ft, one target.
Hit: (1d10 + cha) force damage.

Infestation (cantrip). Spell: Constitution Save DC 15, range 30 ft, one target.
On failed save: (1d6) poison damage, and target must move 5' in a random direction (d4; 1-North, 2-South, 3-East, 4-West). 

Improved Pact Weapon varies, usually whip (+1 to hit, damage, spell focus)

Whip (finesse, reach). Melee Weapon Attack: +8 to hit, reach 10 ft., one target.
Hit: (1d4 + 5) slashing damage.

Battleaxe (versatile). Melee Weapon Attack: reach 5 ft., one target.
Hit: (1d8 - 1) slashing damage.
Versatile: (1d10 - 1) slashing damage.

Staff of the Python (versatile). Melee Weapon Attack: +6 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target.
Hit: (1d6 +4) bludgeoning damage.
Versatile: (1d8 +4) bludgeoning damage.

☆ Note:  With Hex Warrior, can set one weapon to use Charisma instead of Strength or Dexterity for to-hit and damage.  Normally Staff of the Python, but also always Pact Weapon.

Bonus Actions

Hexblade's Curse.

Starting at 1st level, you gain the ability to place a baleful curse on someone. As a bonus action, choose one creature you can see within 30 feet of you. The target is cursed for 1 minute. The curse ends early if the target dies, you die, or you are incapacitated. Until the curse ends, you gain the following benefits:

• You gain a bonus to damage rolls against the cursed target. The bonus equals your proficiency bonus.
  • Any attack roll you make against the cursed target is a critical hit on a roll of 19 or 20 on the d20.
  • If the cursed target dies, you regain hit points equal to your warlock level + your Charisma modifier (minimum of 1 hit point).

You can’t use this feature again until you finish a short or long rest.

Grovel, Cower, and Beg (Reskinned Draconic Cry).

As a bonus action, you let out a cry at your enemies within 10 feet of you. Until the start of your next turn, you and your allies have advantage on attack rolls against any of those enemies who could hear you. You can use this trait a number of times equal to your proficiency bonus, and you regain all expended uses when you finish a long rest.

Spellcasting

Spell Slots:  0 / 2, cast at 3rd level, refreshed at short rest

Free Spells from Feats: 1/long rest - Hex, Dissonant Whispers, Suggestion

Hunni is a spellcaster.  Her spell slots are at 3rd level.  She has 2 spell slots.  Her spellcasting attribute is Charisma.  Spell Save DC 15.  Spell Attack Modifier +7.  She can use an arcane focus as a spellcasting focus.

• Cantrips:  Eldritch Blast, Infestation, Prestidigitation, Minor Illusion
  • Spells Known:  Armor of Agathys, Wrathful Smite ©, Hex © (feat), Dissonant Whispers (feat), Unseen Servant, Blur ©, Misty Step, Suggestion © (feat), Hunger of Hadar ©
  • Invocations:  Improved Pact Weapon, Agonizing Blast, Thirsting Blade

Life Channel. You can channel your life force into the power of your magic. When a creature you can see within 60 feet of you fails a saving throw against a spell that deals damage that you cast, you can expend a number of Hit Dice equal to the level of the spell. Roll the expended Hit Dice and add them together. The damage that the creature takes increases by an amount equal to that total.

Amulet of Proof against Detection and Location. While wearing this amulet, you are hidden from divination magic. You can't be targeted by such magic or perceived through magical scrying sensors.

Sir Not-Appearing-in-This-Game McHolyGrail IIIModri

Hill Dwarf Outlander Wild Magic Barbarian

AC: 17 (+1Dex + 4Con + 2Shield ) | HP: 75/75 (5d12+20+10+5) | Speed: 25'
Senses: passive Perception 11, Insight 11, Investigation 10
Str: 16 (+3) | Dex: 13 (+1) | Con: 18 (+4) | Int: 10 (+0) | Wis: 12 (+1) | Cha: 8 (-1)
Languages: You can speak, read, and write Common, Dwarvish, Elvish

Wild Surge Rages: 3/3 | Magic Awareness: 2/2

Darkvision 60' | Dwarven Resilience | Stonecunning | Unarmored Defense | Danger Sense | Reckless Attack | Extra Attack | Fast Movement

“My words,” Modri said. | ‘My thoughts,’ Modri thought. | My actions . . .

As before, the group together makes short work of their officers. Well, them and these newcomers...

Modri helps out around as best he can, first with the rest of the fighting, and then with collecting anything, helping Coltan harvest the dragonnel, whatever people need. If their last mission had humbled Modri, shown him his limits, this one helped buoy his confidence, show him just how much he, and the others, can accomplish. He knows they can take on the full army. Maybe, just maybe, they can really carve a big piece out of it though.

He's quick to be friendly with Arlo, Fairla, and Vigdan. He happily returns the handshake of the latter. The three can surmise very quickly that the tattooed Dwarf has a deep respect for those with the ability and willingness to fight.

-

As they return Modri is deeply disappointed by the news, and frustrated. He simmers. "Had errands to run. Will have to wait then." Perhaps for the three new adventurers it doesn't sound out of place, but for those who journeyed with him, this is the first time he'd mentioned anything about doing any sort of errands.

"It's about time we settled this Bakaris matter. I respect your position as a knight, Artanis. I'm not, and I swear our spank both those brats like the children they are, until they're to embarrassed to give us any more trouble." It's difficult to tell how literal he's being, but it's clear that though Modri doesn't intend to kill either Bakaris, he fully plans to stop holding back either.

OOC

Movement: Move around the enemy Captain to X18

Bonus Action: -

Action: Attack the Captain, reckless

Reaction: Sentinel in effect

*Modri started with extra temporary hit points. After halving the non-fire damage, he's down to 65. EDIT: With the retcon of how much Modri was hit, he's actually back to 70

Edited by Peacemonger (see edit history)

token_1.png.451fa62d12c0f2185636025bbfd5d519.pngArlo Thistleknott

Kender Entertainer Arcane Trickster Rogue

AC: 16 (Studded Leather) | HP: 48/48 | Speed: 40 ft.
Senses: passive Perception 18, Insight 15, Investigation 16
Str: 8 (-1) | Dex: 18 (+4) | Con: 14 (+2) | Int: 14 (+2) | Wis: 12 (+1) | Cha: 10 (+0)
Languages: You can speak, read, and write Common, Kenderspeak, and Thieves' Cant

In the immediate aftermath of the fight, Arlo looks at the giant, screaming, spectral Coltan. He's never seen anything like this before. He'd heard rumors that the dragon meanies did things when you killed them, but he hadn't expected the things they did to be so amazing. "How do you think the silver dragon thing did that?" he asks Fairla. "Do you think that I could have a Mage of High Sorcery make something like that happen at my funeral? I think my friends and relations would be very impressed by it. I'd pay well. I'd even give them my button collection, and I have at least seventy-two buttons."

When Mayor-cum-Lieutenant Raven arrives on the scene, Arlo gives him a surprisingly smart salute. "Arlo Thistleknott, highly irregular member of the Kalaman Militia reporting for duty, sir!" It probably isn't even a lie, Arlo is certain. Although his offer to enlist had been repeatedly refused, now that he'd liberated a fort, Arlo was sure that he had to be a member of the militia. Arlo then wanders off before he can see Raven's reaction to a Kender soldier. Along with Vigdan, he finds a lot of supplies, which makes everyone happy. No one even notices when some of the items make their way into his pouches.

When the party heads back toward Kalaman, Arlo spends a great deal of time with Hunni. After all, she's the closest to his size, and she knows how to make magical music. "Will you teach me that song?" he asks her. "It's very catchy!" At some point on the journey, Arlo notice that Hunni has dropped a set of pan pipes. They, too, make it into one of his pouches, because he's certain that she will want them later.

When she mentions her test, Arlo's eyes widen. "Do you need help studying? Can you put in a good word for me? Par-Salian said that Kender weren't allowed to take the Test, but maybe you could convince him that I should be an exception? What do you think the Test is like? Do you think you have to write an essay?" The stream of questions continues endlessly.

When the others talk about needing to rescue a knight, Arlo figures that he'll just tag along. After all, they're all his new friends, and he's sure that they'll need his help. Most people do.

OOC

Action: 
Move: 
Bonus Action:

Taunt: 3/3
Spell Slots: 3/3 1st Level

Posted (edited)
Date

On This LinarasKirinor, the 27th Day of Brookgreen2nd Day of Yurthgreen,
in the 351st Year After the Cataclysm
(Sunday, March 27, 351 AC)

The 8th–12th Days of the Campaign

• Solinari: Waning Gibbous
  • Lunitari: Waning Crescent
  • Nuitari: Waxing Crescent

Wheelwatch Outpost

(Everyone)

"Arlo Thistleknott, highly irregular member of the Kalaman Militia reporting for duty, sir!"

Lt. Raven uth Vogler   “Oh! Mr. Thistleknott,” Lt. Raven Vogler   OOC: I mistakenly called her Lt. Raven, but Raven is her first name, not her last: Raven uth Vogler, former mayor of the town of Vogler addresses Arlo, “Er . . . um . . .” awkwardly she returns your salute—clearly she’s not been in this military position for long—“I think I remember hearing about a unit sent to retake the fort, earlier but never hearing back from them. Were you part of that unit?”

In fact, Arlo, Vigdan, and Fairla were part of the unit, along with Lanal Brint—the only survivors of the unit! Brint can back you up. Your unit was put together much like the current group that liberated the fort—a ‘special forces’ unit that reports directly to Marshal Vendri.

Either way, Lt. Vogler is happy to sing your praises in the letter she sent back to Kalaman with your party.

Elgo Duckditcher   “Well, it was nice knowin’ yas!” Elgo says as she hefts her backpack up on her back and then loops her hoopak through some loops. “I’m headed southwest to the Dargaard mountains! I heard there’s some interesting ghoolies and ghosts I can see—maybe pick up a story or two to share with you the next time we meet!”

With that, the kender skirmisher is off on her own travels.

In addition to the 8th day of the campaign being spent sleeping and healing up after the battle is finally won, it takes you another full three days in Wheelwatch to finish sorting everything, interrogating prisoners, harvesting the dragonelle, and resting up. A smithy in the fort for fixing up weapons and armor can be lit up and let Coltan do what he does best: smith weapons and armor. Combining Reorx’s blessings with his own expertise, he’s able to make that +1 Red Dragonelle Scale Shield+1 Red Dragonelle Scale Shield
Armor (shield), rare (requires attunement)
Major tier

6 lb.
AC +3

While holding this shield, you have a +3 bonus to AC (the shield’s normal bonus to AC + 1). You also have resistance to fire damage.

This shield, finely crafted by Coltan, is expertly covered with a layer of red draonelle scales and is carried in one hand. Wielding a +1 shield increases your Armor Class by 3. You can benefit from only one shield at a time.
, as well as the arrows. The daggers and javelins need little more crafting than wrapping leather around a spot for a hand-grip.

Date

On This Kirinor, the 2nd Day of Yurthgreen,
in the 351st Year After the Cataclysm
(Sunday, March 27, 351 AC)

The 12th Day of the Campaign

• Solinari: 1st Quarter
  • Lunitari: FULL (advantage to cast Illusion and Transmutation spells & disadvantage against such spells)
  • Nuitari: Waning Gibbous

You set off bright and early in the morning on the 12th day of the campaign (2nd day of Yurthgreen)—about an hour after sunrise. The walk back to Kalaman is 24 miles—eight hours at a normal pace, getting you back to Kalaman around 3 hours after noon.

OOC

Statblocks

Edited by Kamishiro_Rin (see edit history)

spacer.pngColtan Bluetemper

Level 5 Neidar Folk Hero Forge Cleric

AC: 20 (Splint +Cloak +2 Shield) | HP: 38/51 (5d8+15+5) | Speed: 25 ft.
Senses: Darkvision 60 ft., Passive Perception 17, Insight 14, Investigation 13
Str: 14 (+2) | Dex: 8 (–1) | Con: 16 (+3) | Int: 10 (+0) | Wis: 18 (+4) | Cha: 10 (+0)
Magic: +7 DC 15 | Channel 1/1 | Cantrips | 1st 3/4 | 2nd 0/3 | 3rd 0/2

Languages: Speak, read, and write Common and Dwarvish

With a good night's rest to recover his humility in the Battle of the Wheelwatch Outpost, Coltan gets to work transforming the dragonelle scales into shield at the outpost's forge. He feels that he is inspired by Reorx to create the shield and admires its completion. He signs it in metal near the handle. Without any fanfare, the Apprentice still in his smith's apron presents the completed shield to Modri. "Use it well in the name of Reorx."

In the meantime during rests and meals, he introduces himself to the former prisoners, even the kender. This broad-shouldered dwarf of average height wears a holy amulet of Reorx.  His shoulder length dirty blonde hair and full beard are relatively unkempt compared to most dwarves you might meet. He has a nasty scar down the right side of his face and eyes that sparkle gold.  When not smithing, splint armor peeks out from layers of well-mended but stained leather and wool traveling gear. On his weapons' belt hangs a bluish steel warhammer, a handaxe, and a dagger. He shoulders a backpack and a dragonarmy shield. In addition, this is what you get:

• Hill dwarf. He was born in 300 AC at the home of his maternal grandparents in Hillhome, a Neidar village located west of Thorbardin on the Passroad. 
  • Traveling smith. For almost 50 years, Coltan has traveled the continent smithing at locations without a local smith, with his parents who seem to be friends with everyone. 
  • Reorx. A few weeks ago, he actually met Reorx, the divine power of creation and patron to smiths and crafters. Reorx gifted him a holy flaming warhammer of bluish metal and named him his Apprentice.
  • Hero of Vogler. He is one of the Heroes of Vogler.

OOC

Bonus Action:

Movement:

Action: Use Artisan's Blessing to duplicate the lieutenant's insignia for his splint armor sacrificing 10 gp

Reaction:

Concentration:

Actions and Resources

Actions

+1 Holy Warhammer (versatile). Melee Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target.
Hit: 1d8 + 3 magic, fire damage.
Versatile damage: 1d10 + 3 magic, fire damage.

Warhammer (versatile). Melee Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target.
Hit: 1d8 + 2 bludgeoning damage.
Versatile damage: 1d10 + 2 bludgeoning damage.

Handaxe (light, thrown). Melee & Ranged Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, ranged 20/60 ft., one target.
Hit: 1d6 + 2 slashing damage.

Dagger (light, thrown). Melee & Ranged Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, ranged 20/60 ft., one target.
Hit: 1d4 + 2 piercing damage.

Spell-casting: +7 or DC 15 | 1st 4/4 | 2nd 3/3 | 3rd 2/2

Cantrips

1. Sacred Flame (V, S). Spell Attack: Dex DC 13, ranged 60 ft., one target.  Fail: 1d8 radiant damage.
  2. Word of Radiance (V, M). Spell Attack: Con DC 13, ranged 5 ft., each creature of your choice. Fail: 1d6 radiant damage.
  3. Light (V,M).  You touch one object that is no larger than 10 feet in any dimension. Until the spell ends, the object sheds bright light in a 20-foot radius and dim light for an additional 20 feet. The light can be colored as you like. Completely covering the object with something opaque blocks the light. The spell ends if you cast it again or dismiss it as an action.  If you target an object held or worn by a hostile creature, that creature must succeed on a Dexterity saving throw to avoid the spell.
  4. Mending (V,S,M). This spell repairs a single break or tear in an object you touch, such as broken chain link, two halves of a broken key, a torn cloak, or a leaking wineskin. As long as the break or tear is no larger than 1 foot in any dimension, you mend it, leaving no trace of the former damage. This spell can physically repair a magic item or construct, but the spell can't restore magic to such an object.

1st level spells prepared

• Forge Domain: Identify (V,S,M) Ritual. You choose one object that you must touch throughout the casting of the spell. If it is a magic item or some other magic-imbued object, you learn its properties and how to use them, whether it requires attunement to use, and how many charges it has, if any. You learn whether any spells are affecting the item and what they are. If the item was created by a spell, you learn which spell created it. If you instead touch a creature throughout the casting, you learn what spells, if any, are currently affecting it.
  • Forge Domain: Searing Smite (V). The next time you hit a creature with a melee weapon attack during the spell's duration, your weapon flares with white-hot intensity, and the attack deals an extra 1d6 fire damage to the target and causes the target to ignite in flames. At the start of each of its turns until the spell ends, the target must make a Constitution saving throw. On a failed save, it takes 1d6 fire damage. On a successful save, the spell ends. If the target or a creature within 5 feet of it uses an action to put out the flames, or if some other effect douses the flames (such as the target being submerged in water), the spell ends.
  1. Bless (V,S,M).  You bless up to three creatures of your choice within 30 ft. Whenever a target makes an attack roll or a saving throw before the spell ends, the target can roll a d4 and add the number rolled to the attack roll or saving throw.  Concentration up to 1 minute.
  2. Cure Wounds (V,S).  A creature you touch regains a number of hit points equal to 1d8 + your spellcasting ability modifier. This spell has no effect on undead or constructs.
  3. Detect Magic (V,S) Concentration, Ritual. For the duration, you sense the presence of magic within 30 feet of you. If you sense magic in this way, you can use your action to see a faint aura around any visible creature or object in the area that bears magic, and you learn its school of magic, if any.  The spell can penetrate most barriers, but it is blocked by 1 foot of stone, 1 inch of common metal, a thin sheet of lead, or 3 feet of wood or dirt.  Concentration up to 10 minutes.
  4. Healing Word (V) Bonus.  A creature of your choice that you can see within range regains hit points equal to 1d4 + your spellcasting ability modifier. This spell has no effect on undead or constructs.
  5. Guiding Bolt (V,S).  Make a ranged spell attack against the target within 120 feet. On a hit, the target takes 4d6 radiant damage, and the next attack roll made against this target before the end of your next turn has advantage

2nd-Level Spells Prepared

• Forge Domain: Heat Metal (V,S,M) Concentration. Choose a manufactured metal object, such as a metal weapon or a suit of heavy or medium metal armor, that you can see within range. You cause the object to glow red-hot. Any creature in physical contact with the object takes 2d8 fire damage when you cast the spell. Until the spell ends, you can use a bonus action on each of your subsequent turns to cause this damage again. If a creature is holding or wearing the object and takes the damage from it, the creature must succeed on a Constitution saving throw or drop the object if it can. If it doesn't drop the object, it has disadvantage on attack rolls and ability checks until the start of your next turn.
  • Forge Domain: Magic Weapon (V,S) Concentration. You touch a nonmagical weapon. Until the spell ends, that weapon becomes a magic weapon with a +1 bonus to attack rolls and damage rolls.
  • 6. Spiritual Weapon (V,S) Bonus. When you cast the spell, you can make a melee spell attack against a creature within 5 feet of the weapon. On a hit, the target takes force damage equal to 1d8 + your spellcasting ability modifier. As a bonus action on your turn, you can move the weapon up to 20 feet and repeat the attack against a creature within 5 feet of it.
  • 7. Lesser Restoration (V,S). You touch a creature and can end either one disease or one condition afflicting it. The condition can be blinded, deafened, paralyzed, or poisoned.
  • 8. Silence (V,S) Concentration, Ritual. For the duration, no sound can be created within or pass through a 20-foot-radius sphere centered on a point you choose within range. Any creature or object entirely inside the sphere is immune to thunder damage, and creatures are deafened while entirely inside it. Casting a spell that includes a verbal component is impossible there.

3rd-Level Spells Prepared

• Forge Domain: Elemental Weapon (V,S) Concentration. A nonmagical weapon you touch becomes a magic weapon. Choose one of the following damage types: acid, cold, fire, lightning, or thunder. For the duration, the weapon has a +1 bonus to attack rolls and deals an extra 1d4 damage of the chosen type when it hits.
  • Forge Domain: Protection from Energy (V,S) Concentration. For the duration, the willing creature you touch has resistance to one damage type of your choice: acid, cold, fire, lightning, or thunder.
  • 9. Spirit Guardians: (V,S,M) Concentration. You call forth angelic spirits to protect you. They flit around you to a distance of 15 feet for the duration. When you cast this spell, you can designate any number of creatures you can see to be unaffected by it. An affected creature's speed is halved in the area, and when the creature enters the area for the first time on a turn or starts its turn there, it must make a Wisdom saving throw. On a failed save, the creature takes 3d8 radiant damage. On a successful save, the creature takes half as much damage.

Channel Divinity: 1/1 short rest

Turn Undead.  Expend a use of your Channel Divinity as an action to make each undead that can see or hear you within 30 feet of you to make a Wisdom DC 13. If the creature fails its saving throw, it is turned for 1 minute or until it takes any damage. Starting at 5th level, when an undead of CR 1/2 or lower fails its saving throw against your Turn Undead feature, the creature is instantly destroyed.

Harness Divine Power.  As a bonus action, expend a use of your Channel Divinity to regain one expended spell slot, the level of which can be no higher than half your proficiency bonus (rounded up).

Artisan's Blessing. You conduct an hour-long ritual that crafts a nonmagical item that must include some metal: a simple or martial weapon, a suit of armor, ten pieces of ammunition, a set of tools, or another metal object (see chapter 5, "Equipment," in the Player's Handbook for examples of these items). The creation is completed at the end of the hour, coalescing in an unoccupied space of your choice on a surface within 5 feet of you.  The thing you create can be something that is worth no more than 100 gp. As part of this ritual, you must lay out metal, which can include coins, with a value equal to the creation. The metal irretrievably coalesces and transforms into the creation at the ritual's end, magically forming even nonmetal parts of the creation. The ritual can create a duplicate of a nonmagical item that contains metal, such as a key, if you possess the original during the ritual.

War Caster

• You have advantage on Constitution saving throws that you make to maintain your concentration on a spell when you take damage.
  • You can perform the somatic components of spells even when you have weapons or a shield in one or both hands.
  • When a hostile creature's movement provokes an opportunity attack from you, you can use your reaction to cast a spell at the creature, rather than making an opportunity attack. The spell must have a casting time of 1 action and must target only that creature

token1.png.1f361b5b69f15cd7a9ff716bb787caee.pngHunni Ravenwing, of clan Collic

Gully Dwarf Mage of High Sorcery Hexblade Warlock

AC: 18 (Scale Mail+2 Shield +2 Dex) | HP: 40/40 (15 THP) (hd 5d8) | Speed: 30 ft.
Senses: Darkvision, passive Perception 11, Insight 11, Investigation 9
Str: 8 (-1) | Dex: 14 (+2) | Con: 15 (+2) | Int: 8 (-1) | Wis: 12 (+1) | Cha: 19 (+4)
Languages: You can speak, read, and write Common, Gullytalk, Elven, and Dwarven

As the group spends some time to introduce themselves, Hunni introduces herself to Fairla, Vigdan, and Arlo as 'Hunni Ravenwing Collic, black-robed Adept of High Sorcery.' She seems happy to see Fairla. "A white-robed Mage! How fun. Do you know my friend Decimus? He used to be a white-robe, too, but now he's a fisherman. Thanks to me. I wonder where your robe will take you?" she comments, with a wide, innocent smile, and sparkling eyes. "I think we will have a lot to talk about."

For Vigdan, he seems more standoffish, and quiet, so she doesn't interrupt him much. When she finds out he owns a boat, she is quite impressed, and tries to tell him a story about the time she went fishing, but it doesn't seem she was very good at it, and she didn't catch all that much.

Hunni spends the most time with Arlo, teaching him the Lord Bakaris song, listening to his stories about Uncle Trapspringer, and sharing her stories of That Place. She also shows him her toys, bits of string, ball bearings, and assorted junk, as well as her prize turquoise animal figurines and fishbone contraption that can walk on its own, and doesn't really notice if he borrows any of it from time to time. When he eventually figures out how to use the pipes, she is extremely excited at the idea of unlimited free rats for dinner whenever they want them.

OOC

Action: Casting Prestidigitation to make the background music.

Bonus Action:

Movement:

Reaction:

Actions and Resources

Actions

Eldritch Blast (cantrip). Ranged Spell Attack: + 7 to hit, range 120 ft, one target.
Hit: (1d10 + cha) force damage.

Infestation (cantrip). Spell: Constitution Save DC 15, range 30 ft, one target.
On failed save: (1d6) poison damage, and target must move 5' in a random direction (d4; 1-North, 2-South, 3-East, 4-West). 

Improved Pact Weapon varies, usually whip (+1 to hit, damage, spell focus)

Whip (finesse, reach). Melee Weapon Attack: +8 to hit, reach 10 ft., one target.
Hit: (1d4 + 5) slashing damage.

Battleaxe (versatile). Melee Weapon Attack: reach 5 ft., one target.
Hit: (1d8 - 1) slashing damage.
Versatile: (1d10 - 1) slashing damage.

Staff of the Python (versatile). Melee Weapon Attack: +6 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target.
Hit: (1d6 +4) bludgeoning damage.
Versatile: (1d8 +4) bludgeoning damage.

☆ Note:  With Hex Warrior, can set one weapon to use Charisma instead of Strength or Dexterity for to-hit and damage.  Normally Staff of the Python, but also always Pact Weapon.

Bonus Actions

Hexblade's Curse.

Starting at 1st level, you gain the ability to place a baleful curse on someone. As a bonus action, choose one creature you can see within 30 feet of you. The target is cursed for 1 minute. The curse ends early if the target dies, you die, or you are incapacitated. Until the curse ends, you gain the following benefits:

• You gain a bonus to damage rolls against the cursed target. The bonus equals your proficiency bonus.
  • Any attack roll you make against the cursed target is a critical hit on a roll of 19 or 20 on the d20.
  • If the cursed target dies, you regain hit points equal to your warlock level + your Charisma modifier (minimum of 1 hit point).

You can’t use this feature again until you finish a short or long rest.

Grovel, Cower, and Beg (Reskinned Draconic Cry).

As a bonus action, you let out a cry at your enemies within 10 feet of you. Until the start of your next turn, you and your allies have advantage on attack rolls against any of those enemies who could hear you. You can use this trait a number of times equal to your proficiency bonus, and you regain all expended uses when you finish a long rest.

Spellcasting

Spell Slots:  0 / 2, cast at 3rd level, refreshed at short rest

Free Spells from Feats: 1/long rest - Hex, Dissonant Whispers, Suggestion

Hunni is a spellcaster.  Her spell slots are at 3rd level.  She has 2 spell slots.  Her spellcasting attribute is Charisma.  Spell Save DC 15.  Spell Attack Modifier +7.  She can use an arcane focus as a spellcasting focus.

• Cantrips:  Eldritch Blast, Infestation, Prestidigitation, Minor Illusion
  • Spells Known:  Armor of Agathys, Wrathful Smite ©, Hex © (feat), Dissonant Whispers (feat), Unseen Servant, Blur ©, Misty Step, Suggestion © (feat), Hunger of Hadar ©
  • Invocations:  Improved Pact Weapon, Agonizing Blast, Thirsting Blade

Life Channel. You can channel your life force into the power of your magic. When a creature you can see within 60 feet of you fails a saving throw against a spell that deals damage that you cast, you can expend a number of Hit Dice equal to the level of the spell. Roll the expended Hit Dice and add them together. The damage that the creature takes increases by an amount equal to that total.

Amulet of Proof against Detection and Location. While wearing this amulet, you are hidden from divination magic. You can't be targeted by such magic or perceived through magical scrying sensors.

MerituuliToken.png.53f9774174cd1fbd27a1aa51cf1736c8.pngMerituuli Kaiutin
Level 5 Sea Elf Far Traveler Beast Master Ranger

AC: 18 (Breastplate, +2 Shield) | HP: 58/58 (5d10+10+10) | HD: 5/5 | Speed: 30 ft., Swim 30 ft.
Senses: passive Perception 20 (Expertise, Darkvision 60 ft.), Insight 17, Investigation 10
Str: 12 (+1) | Dex: 14 (+2) | Con: 14 (+2) | Int: 10 (+0) | Wis: 18 (+4) | Cha: 8 (-1)
Languages: Common, Elvish, Kenderspeak, Kharolian, Khur

“My words” | ‘My thoughts’  | My actions . . .

After making absolutely sure that Captain Vanse is dead and gone, Merituuli releases his concentration on the entangling seaweed around the corpse, letting it wither and fall apart into mush which then dries into a fine dust. He moves quickly, assisting Artanis in opening the heavy gates while shrouded in the silence provided by Coltan's holy magic. Once the deed is done, he allows Coltan to enchant a few of his crossbow bolts with emerald light and fires them into the air, giving the signal for Lieutenant Raven and her forces to move into the fort. He lets out a deep sight of relief once the fort is fully claimed, finally holstering his heavy crossbow and shaking off the tenseness in his muscles.

With the fort reclaimed, Merituuli takes some time to introduce himself and his osprey companion to his new allies. Grinning broadly, he says, "Well met, and thanks for the assist! I'm Merituuli, and this is my friend Kalasääski. Were you all in the fort when it was originally captured?" The blue-skinned sea elf is earnest and friendly, asking Vigdan, Arlo, Fairla, and Lanal about how they ended up in this predicament and inquiring on their personal skills. Kalasääski, meanwhile, studies each of them carefully before letting out a series of satisfied chirps - the osprey is clearly more intelligent than a normal animal, and lightly-glowing runes along their wingtips add to the feeling that Kalasääski is not your average osprey.

As he sees Coltan begin to dress the dragonnel, Merituuli joins in, using his whalebone dagger to its fullest. "Can't say I've ever dressed a dragon, but I'd assume a sea serpent is close enough..."

OOC

Alert: Other creatures don't gain advantage on attack rolls against you as a result of being unseen by you.

Concentration:

Bonus Action:

Action:

Movement:

Reaction:

Actions & Resources

Actions:

Attacks Per Action: 2

Baculite Shell (Shillelagh). Melee Weapon Attack: +7 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target.
Hit: 1d8+4 bludgeoning damage.

Thorn Whip. Melee Spell Attack: +7 to hit, range 30 ft., one target.
Hit: 2d6 piercing damage.

Heavy Crossbow (heavy, loading, two-handed). Ranged Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, range 100/400 ft., one target.
Hit: 1d10+2 piercing damage.

Dagger (finesse, light, thrown). Melee or Ranged Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, reach 5 ft. or range 20/60 ft., one target.
Hit: 1d4+2 piercing damage.

Baculite Shell (Quarterstaff) (versatile). Melee Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target.
Hit: 1d6+1 bludgeoning damage.
Versatile damage: 1d8+1 bludgeoning damage.

Net (thrown, special). Ranged Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, range 5/15 ft., one target.
Hit: A Large or smaller creature hit by a net is restrained until it is freed. A net has no effect on creatures that are formless, or creatures that are Huge or larger. A creature can use its action to make a DC 10 Strength check, freeing itself or another creature within its reach on a success. Dealing 5 slashing damage to the net (AC 10) also frees the creature without harming it, ending the effect and destroying the net.

Bonus Actions:

Primal Companion: Take Action. As a bonus action on your turn you command your Primal Companion to take another action. That action can be one in its stat block or some other action. You can also sacrifice one of your attacks when you take the Attack action to command the beast to take the Attack action. If you are incapacitated, the beast can take any action of its choice, not just Dodge.

Other:

Favored Foe. When you hit a creature with an attack roll, you can call on your mystical bond with nature to mark the target as your favored enemy for 1 minute or until you lose your concentration (as if you were concentrating on a spell).

The first time on each of your turns that you hit the favored enemy and deal damage to it, including when you mark it, you can increase that damage by 1d4.

You can use this feature to mark a favored enemy a number of times equal to your proficiency bonus, and you regain all expended uses when you finish a long rest.

This feature’s extra damage increases when you reach certain levels in this class: to 1d6 at 6th level and to 1d8 at 14th level.

Friend of the Sea. You can communicate simple ideas to any Beast with a swimming speed. It can understand your words but you cannot understand it in return.

Ammunition:

19/20 Crossbow Bolts

Class Features:

• 2/3 Favored Foe Marks
  • 3/4 1st Level Spells
  • 1/2 2nd Level Spells
Edited by PhoenixSlayer (see edit history)
Name
Harvest (Teeth)
1d20+7 7
Harvest (Fangs)
1d20+7 16
Harvest (Claws)
1d20+7 1
Harvest (Meat)
1d20+7 18
Harvest (Scales)
1d20+7 11

fairla_token.png.3ec0cf634c791239cd69134297408c22.pngFairla Sunnybank

Human Mage of High Sorcery Abjuration Wizard

AC: 12 (Mage Armor AC: 15) | HP: 32/32 (5d6+2) | Speed: 30 ft.
Senses (passive): Perception 9, Insight 9, Investigation 17
Str: 10 (+0) | Dex: 14 (+2) | Con: 14 (+2) | Int: 18 (+4) | Wis: 8 (-1) | Cha: 12 (+1)
Languages: You can speak, read, and write Common, Dwarvish, Elvish, Gnomish, Kenderspeak, Primordial, and Solamnic
Arcane Recovery
: 2 spell levels per LR | Arcane Ward: 14/14 HP

“My words,” | ‘My thoughts,’ | My actions...

With the battle finished, Fairla takes a moment to process the remarkable change in circumstances it brought. 'To think, just a few minutes ago we were prisoners here, and now we have retaken the outpost.' She expresses her sincere gratitude to her new allies for finishing what she could not as she introduces herself to them.

Responding to Arlo's question about the spectral Coltan, Fairla says, "I suppose it was some sort of horrible illusion, likely reproducible by a mage"—she recalls the specter's wicked howls"or imitable, at least." Inwardly, she thinks, 'To want such a thing at his funeral, Arlo's friends and relations must be heartier than mine.'

After the Voglerite militia secures the outpost, she confirms to Lt. Vogler and to Merituuli that Arlo, Vigdan, Lanal, and she were, regretfully, the only survivors of the unit sent to retake the fort.

"There is, indeed, much we can discuss," she says to Hunni. "To learn from a fellow mage is one of life's greatest delights." She adds, "I am sorry to hear that my brother has left the pursuit of magic behind. I have not met him, but if he's anything like you he must make pleasant company." She also wonders what Hunni meant by, "Thanks to me," but does not ask about it.

Fairla spends the following days puttering around the outpost, helping out in small ways here and there. She is very relieved to recover her spellbook and other possessions. Of the other treasure, she takes one set of Red Dragon Army Scale Mail, the spell scroll of Sleep (and any of the other spell scrolls that go unclaimed), resolving to copy it into her spell book when she has the time and resources to do so, and maybe even make some spell scrolls of her own when she gets back to Kalaman.

OOC

Action:

Bonus Action:

Movement:

Reaction:

Object Interaction:

Spells

Spellcasting

Modifier (Int): +4
Spell Attack: +7
Save DC: 15

Cantrips

1. Fire Bolt
  2. Light
  3. Mage Hand
  4. Mending
  5. Prestidigitation

1st-Level
4/4 Spell Slots

1. ( ) Absorb Elements
  2. ( ) Alarm [R]
  3. (P) Comprehend Languages [R]
  4. ( ) Detect Magic [R]
  5. ( ) Feather Fall
  6. ( ) Floating Disk [R]
  7. (p) Grease
  8. (p) Mage Armor
  9. (p) Magic Missile
  10. (P) Shield
  11. ( ) Unseen Servant [R]

2nd-Level
3/3 Spell Slots

1. (p) Detect Thoughts [c]
  2. (p) Hold Person [c]
  3. (p) Invisibility [c]
  4. (P) Lesser Restoration
  5. (p) Misty Step

3rd-Level
2/2 Spell Slots

1. (p) Counterspell
  2. (p) Dispel Magic
  3. ( ) Tiny Hut [R]

Stat Block

%5Bb%5DActions%3A%5B%2Fb%5D%0A%5Bb%5DAttacks%3A%5B%2Fb%5D%0A%5Bb%5DFirebolt%20(120%20ft.)%5B%2Fb%5D%20%2B7%202d10%20Fire%0A%5Bb%5DQuarterstaff%20(5%20ft.)%5B%2Fb%5D%20%2B3%201d6(8)%20Bludgeoning%0A%5Bb%5DSpells%3A%5B%2Fb%5D%0A%20%20%20%20You%20can%20cast%20each%20of%20the%20chosen%20spells%20(%5Bi%5DComprehend%20Languages%5B%2Fi%5D%2C%20%5Bi%5DLesser%20Restoration%5B%2Fi%5D%2C%20%5Bi%5DShield%5B%2Fi%5D)%20without%20a%20spell%20slot%2C%20and%20you%20must%20finish%20a%20long%20rest%20before%20you%20can%20cast%20them%20in%20this%20way%20again.%20You%20can%20also%20cast%20the%20spells%20using%20any%20spell%20slots%20you%20have%20of%20the%20appropriate%20level.%0A%0A%5Bb%5DBonus%20Actions%3A%5B%2Fb%5D%0A%20%20%20%20%5Bb%5DTelekinetic%3A%5B%2Fb%5D%20As%20a%20bonus%20action%2C%20you%20can%20try%20to%20telekinetically%20shove%20one%20creature%20you%20can%20see%20within%2030%20feet%20of%20you.%20When%20you%20do%20so%2C%20the%20target%20must%20succeed%20on%20a%20Strength%20saving%20throw%20(DC%2015)%20or%20be%20moved%205%20feet%20toward%20or%20away%20from%20you.%20A%20creature%20can%20willingly%20fail%20this%20save.%20%0A%0A%5Bb%5DReactions%3A%5B%2Fb%5D%0A%20%20%20%20%5Bb%5DShield%3A%5B%2Fb%5D%20An%20invisible%20barrier%20of%20magical%20force%20appears%20and%20protects%20you.%20Until%20the%20start%20of%20your%20next%20turn%2C%20you%20have%20a%20%2B5%20bonus%20to%20AC%2C%20including%20against%20the%20triggering%20attack%2C%20and%20you%20take%20no%20damage%20from%20magic%20missile.%0A%0A%5Bb%5DFeats%3A%5B%2Fb%5D%0AInitiate%20of%20High%20Sorcery%0AAdept%20of%20the%20White%20Robes%0ALinguist%0ATelekinetic%0A%5Bb%5D%5B%2Fb%5D
Actions:
Attacks:
Firebolt (120 ft.) +7 2d10 Fire
Quarterstaff (5 ft.) +3 1d6(8) Bludgeoning
Spells:
You can cast each of the chosen spells (Comprehend Languages, Lesser Restoration, Shield) without a spell slot, and you must finish a long rest before you can cast them in this way again. You can also cast the spells using any spell slots you have of the appropriate level.

Bonus Actions:
Telekinetic: As a bonus action, you can try to telekinetically shove one creature you can see within 30 feet of you. When you do so, the target must succeed on a Strength saving throw (DC 15) or be moved 5 feet toward or away from you. A creature can willingly fail this save.

Reactions:
Shield: An invisible barrier of magical force appears and protects you. Until the start of your next turn, you have a +5 bonus to AC, including against the triggering attack, and you take no damage from magic missile.

Feats:
Initiate of High Sorcery
Adept of the White Robes
Linguist
Telekinetic

Inventory

Gp: 52 Sp: 4 Cp: 4

Equipped

1. Bag of Holding
  2. Clothes, Common
  3. Healer's Kit
  4. Orb