Barrowmaze Part One: The Barrowmoor

cailano

Zaivie nods her thanks to Black Dougal and just shrugs at Cyrus's question.

"Every girl's gotta have 'er secrets," she retorts with a flashed grin.

She then readily agrees to hurry back to town with the others before dark.

Edited by Raistlinmc (see edit history)

Thomas.PNG.27c6461ee7d33253283c0b6725a507bd.PNG

HP 5/5 | AC 16 | Base To Hit +1 | Stats | Saves | Thieves Abilities | Bullets/Silver x20/5

"All for beating it back double haste to Helix? Lead the way Tamson and let's hope your share let's you buy something nice for your mom so she don't kill you just yet." Thomas joked at the boy before slinging his backpack over his shoulder waiting for the young man to guide them back to safety of the Strumpet and the comfort of it's cold ale.

Back at the Brazen Strumpet

Once Serpe has his copy of the runes, you follow Tamson back through the Marsh and to the main road. It's amazing how good it is to hear the birdsong and the chirping of frogs once again when you emerge from the heart of the Barrowmoor.

The journey back to Helix is uneventful. Tamson follows you back to the inn to collect his share of the treasure you recovered.

Exhausted but anxious to see the worth of your grave goods, a few of you go to Turgen's Trade Goods and sell what you found.

And thus, feeling every inch like a band of victorious adventurers, you retire to the Brazen Strumpet, no longer worried about how you'll pay for your upkeep.

** OOC - But you do have to pay for it! Don't forget to deduct your 2gp per day. Tamson also collects his share and bids you farewell.

The crowd at the Strumpet is much as it was the night before, only now you can put names to some of the faces. In addition to several villagers and farmers, you see the Outriders of Ulek along with Karg Barrelgut and Guildmaster Osen. Even Billworth Turgen of Turgen's Trade Goods stops by for a round after supper.

Bollo and his barmaids keep the food and drink coming, and a traveling minstrel leads the crowd through several bawdy drinking songs.

One group you don't see is that made up of several of the lightly-equipped rogues you came in with last night. You hear they headed out into the Barrowmounds a couple of hours after you did. No one has seen them since.

Allen

While selling your goods, you ask around about the rumored labyrinth beneath the Barrow Mounds. One merchant tells you it's a myth. An old man swears he knew someone who'd been inside it and lived to tell the tale. All agree that the way in -- if there is one -- is supposed to be through the Barrow Mounds.

After pocketing her share of the gold (31 pieces) and paying her nightly two to the innkeep, Zaivie - still somewhat spattered by centipede guts - dives into her evening meal and mead with gusto.

The warrior woman, despite having a singing voice that could (at best) be generously described as 'enthusiastic' and 'throaty', joins in every one of those bawdy drinking songs.

In fact, at one point she can be seen dancing rhythmically on a table-top, feet flying to and fro to the bard's beat.

And, as a side note, somewhere far across the multiverse, on an entirely different level of the Dark Tower and just off an odd branch of Yggdrasil, people on a little blue and green marble who have seen the motion picture Coyote Ugly would recognize her dance immediately.

Edited by Raistlinmc (see edit history)

Thomas.PNG.27c6461ee7d33253283c0b6725a507bd.PNG

HP 5/5 | AC 16 | Base To Hit +1 | Stats | Saves | Thieves Abilities | Bullets/Silver x20/5

As Zaivie danced her heart out on the tabletop Thomas brought his mug of ale and a spare over to Barrelgut's table. "Alas we encountered no living humans in our excursion today but we will remain vigilant for your nephew. We did come across some fine pieces of jewelry that turned into some gold pieces that I look forward to spending at your smithy tomorrow but tonight let me bend your ear with the full tale of our adventure." Thomas recounts the day of wandering the swamp and locating what looked like an undisturbed burial mound. He shares about the hard labor digging and then breaking through the seal. "There before us lay a set of stairs that no mortal had tread for countless years. Cautiously we descended as a group and as I reached the bottom. That dancing warrior woman up there" Thomas hooked a thumb behind him pointing to Zaivie. "Her sharp eyes caught something monstrous large slithering down from the earth above. Warning me just it time to escape the beast's closing mandibles dripping with toxin. I quickly thrust my trident through the beast and the rest of our group turned it's fellows into paste within 15 seconds it was all over. Six in total of the giant venomous beasts lay dead before our fury. Tonight we drink for today we faced death and lived." Thomas drains his pint after his tale. "Tomorrow the search for Gern continues." he says as he claps the dwarf on the shoulder returning to his companions and Zaivie stomping feet.

image.png.c1959066e0680bb9347bc314305da59d.png

Allen dedicated some time to selling his share of the loot in town, also inquiring about gaining entry to the Barrow Maze. With newfound information, he returned to the Inn and shared his discoveries with the rest of the party once all were gathered. After paying for his lodging for the night he Joins the others

"The barrow tombs may contain an entrance to the Barrow Maze beneath the mounds," Allen began, his tone earnest as he relayed his findings. "We should search the tombs we plunder for a secret entrance to the greater maze below next time."

His words hung in the air, the prospect of uncovering a hidden entrance adding a new layer of excitement to their future expeditions.

Edited by Excior (see edit history)

image.png.06fd47ef5ad4defaf62a64a5804ac912.png

Back at the Strumpet, Dougal approaches Bollo at the bar and slides over a pair of gold coins. "Always appreciate your hospitality, Bollo. For my room and meal tonight."

Reaching into his pouch, he places another two gold coins on the counter. "I have a proposition for you, sir. Have a minute? In a man of your position, you hear things. People coming, people going...people finding things in the Barrowmounds. I would never ask for you to compromise your integrity, but if you're interested in sharing any information you might come across, especially information that might prove profitable, I'll pay you a cut of my take."

Dougal swirls the two coins around in a circle on the bar. "This isn't much right now, just a couple coins, but it's 10% of my take after paying for supplies from our last expedition. Partner with me, and I'll honor that commitment going forward. 10% cut on any information you provide. Regardless of what you decide, keep this," Dougal says, sliding over the coins. "As a sign that I'm serious, and as appreciation for putting a roof over our heads."

Not wanting to overstay his welcome, Dougal returns to the table with his companions.

Screenshot2024-02-26172632-150.png.e47863f7d5bc949ed98d29671fcc9e61.pngAfter returning to Helix and selling their goods and splitting their spoils, Serpe stops in to the Shrine of St. Ygg, drops 3 gold pieces in the coffers and meditates for a short while silently, offering thanks and prayer to both Arcantryl, as well as the patron of the Shrine.  After returning to the Strumpet, he buys an ale for Guildmaster Osen, "Our apologies for that business with the caravan. Our group had some differences of opinion after the fact and there was confusion all around.  I know it's frustrating for you and here's an offering at repairing relations." Serpe slides him 2 gold. "If there's anything we can do to make it up to you in the future, please don't hesitate to ask..." He offers a genuine smile and a handshake and leaves the guildmaster to his business.

The young cleric feels famished after spending all day in the moors shoveling and exploring the marshes, so he orders a meal and an ale. Tipping Bollo and his staff a few silvers he asks, "Do you happen to know anyone in the area who is good with research who can help us decipher some languages or identify some items, sir?"

Zaivie, it should be noted, is a notoriously bad tipper.

It's not that she's greedy or covetous; she simply doesn't think of it.

Still, she might yet have changed her parsimonious ways if she actually paid attention to the hard work and deal-making her companions were doing...sadly, though, she was far too busy dancing. So it goes.

cropped_man_at_arms.jpg.26b5a67df8697a26c5a94d4611064eec.jpgTharnakalian pays his due at the inn and does some shopping. Then, he takes some - not all! - of the sketch of the stone to the Church of St. Ygg, to see if the godly folks know anything of it. He shows it with trepidation

- I do not like bringing things such as this here, but we found these markings and some others like it on a stone out on the Barrow Mounds. We know they are fell and full of wickedness and the deity to which this Black Tongue cant is dedicated is Nergal. What do you make of this? Do you know someone - someone who we would not have to be fools to meet with, that is - who can help us deduce this?

If there is no useless answer, he will also show the guildmaster the sketching as well. You are well traveled, and might know of these, or might know someone who knows of these. And here is some small recompense on my part for skipping out on the job.

If the Guildmaster isn't patently offended by the offer, Tharnakalian offers 3 gold pieces - roughly his share of the original job.

ooc

will do some last minute inventory wrangling soonish. Probably tomorrow evening.

Serpe

With Guildmaster Osen

Osen seems to mistake your genuine apology for mockery. He snorts at your offer of coin, stands, and goes to the bar to talk to someone else. He leaves your gold on the table.

With Bollo

"Sure, friend. You should go see Mazzahs the Magnificent. No better wizard in the Duchy, 'cept maybe in Ironguard Motte. Knows a bit of everything. His tower is on the north side of town, you can't miss it."

Name
Charisma Check
1d20+1 3