Barrowmaze Part One: The Barrowmoor

cailano

Zaivie, upon hearing Black Dougal's scream of sheer and utter terror, turns to the others and says, "Uhhh...tha's th' signal ta make a run fer it, yeah? Prob'ly time ta do tha' then!"

cropped_man_at_arms.jpg.26b5a67df8697a26c5a94d4611064eec.jpgTharnakalian hisses,

Wait a moment for him to get a tad closer - I ain't about to leave a mate behind. He risked his hide to take a look with the idea that we wouldn't cut and run at the first moment events retrodetiorated.

Black Dougal runs screaming, but the only thing he is chased by is surprised laughter from the other adventuring party.

Soon, all you have fallen back to a safe position where you are hidden in the mists of the Barrowmoor. No one comes looking for you, but it's hard to imagine that the other party hasn't posted guards or lookouts yet.

image.png.06fd47ef5ad4defaf62a64a5804ac912.png

Dougal runs into the group, panting, and spills the beans as sensibly as he can. "Pretty sure it's Bertrand," he gasps, "and they have the dwarf Gern. They have him press ganged into doing the dirty work of opening tombs for them. They're well armed, and I'd bet anything there are mages among them. They saw me, but doesn't look like they are planning to follow. Nevertheless, I say we avoid them at all costs! I'm ready for a drink, first round is on me!"

"Don't gotta tell me twice, Mr. Dougal," Zaivie says, perfectly happy to not die or have to kill anyone today. "An' I'm holdin' ya ta tha' promise! Tha' drink sounds pretty damned good righ' 'bout now".

Edited by Raistlinmc (see edit history)

cropped_man_at_arms.jpg.26b5a67df8697a26c5a94d4611064eec.jpgTharnakalian curses as their abortive rescue is called off. Maybe today ain't the day we get the dwarf back, but we ought to remember our duty in this regard. They know we're out here but not that we're after the dwarf as much as the treasure.

We should check out the open mound we saw earlier. Enough time to poke around, not enough time to do any real digging. Or so I reckon anyhow.

Tamson nods at Tharnakalian's statement.

"Bertrand's Brigands are supposed to be tough. They say that Bertrand was a mercenary officer and that he teaches his men ambush tactics. Probably best not to cross him lightly."

image.png.c1959066e0680bb9347bc314305da59d.png

"Best to tackle that when the odds are in our favor. I agree with Tharnakalian; let's check out that open barrow before we return to town," Allen remarked, falling into step with his companions as they made their way towards the open barrow.

Walking slightly behind the group, Allen kept a watchful eye out for any signs of trouble

image.png.06fd47ef5ad4defaf62a64a5804ac912.png

"It's possible that I may have over-reacted a bit. Maybe Bertrand is content to let bygones be bygones? If there's another tomb on the way, let's plunder its riches and make our way back with haste! The Strumpet awaits!"

"Fine wi' me," Zaivie says cheerily, looking forward to more tomb plundering and less dying at the hands of adventurers a helluva lot stronger and fancier than she was. "Jus' lemme know if anythin' needs breakin' an' I'm yer girl!"

Thomas.PNG.27c6461ee7d33253283c0b6725a507bd.PNG

HP 5/5 | AC 16 | Base To Hit +1 | Stats | Saves | Thieves Abilities | Bullets/Silver x20/5

Thomas jumped up from his hiding place as Black Dougal ran by screaming. He ran after the other thief until Black Dougal stopped running and shared his news. When Tharnakalian suggested that the group check out the mound that had shown signs of plunder Thomas was quick to add his agreement. "Think you got the right of it Mister Tharnakalian let's at least check that place out so we know if it's been plundered already or not. Should be a quick peek and poke and on our way again."

A Plundered Mound

By 3:30 in the afternoon, you are set up at the entrance to the next burial mound. This one has been plundered once before. The stone slab that once sealed it was broken long ago.

A short stairway leads down to a 30x30 stone-walled tomb reminiscent of the centipede mound. The only obvious thing inside is a broken sarcophagus, which was overturned at some point, probably by whatever robbers looted the room.

There are signs that animals have recently occupied this chamber, but no animals are inside it now.

A skeleton lies at the mouth of the coffin, broken into pieces.

What do you do?

** OOC - I've skipped over your lighting torches, lanterns, and whatnot, but you still need to have them lit, or you won't be able to see anything I've described above. Please indicate that in the marching order thread.

image.png.c1959066e0680bb9347bc314305da59d.png

Allen lit his lantern and descended the short stairway, entering the stone-walled tomb resembling the centipede-infested mound they had explored on their first trip into the Barrowmores. The young fighter's eyes scanned the chamber, immediately noting the overturned and broken sarcophagus.

Kneeling, Allen examined the skeleton that lay smashed at the mouth of the coffin, his expression a mix of curiosity and solemn respect for the fallen. He noted any remaining artifacts or clues that might shed light on the tomb's history or the fate of its occupant.

After inspecting the skeleton, Allen turned his attention to the room's walls, his fingers trailing over the cold stone surface in search of any hidden seams or mechanisms. He tapped lightly, listening for hollow sounds that might indicate the presence of secret doors or compartments concealed within.

OOC: Allen will set his lantern where it will provide the most light for the entire room then use the hilt of his scimitar to rap on the walls to try and hear a hollow space if one is present. He will do the same thing on the ground where it meets the walls as he moves from section to section.