Barrowmaze Part One: The Barrowmoor

cailano

Thomas.PNG.27c6461ee7d33253283c0b6725a507bd.PNG

HP 5/5 | AC 16 | Base To Hit +1 | Stats | Saves | Thieves Abilities | Bullets/Silver x20/5

Back in the comfortable embrace of the Strumpet Thomas clangs his glass against Zaivie's when Black Dougal offers a toast. "All these other adventuring parties have a cool name. We should start calling ourselves something. Maybe once we buy a mule we can call ourselves Zaivie's Asses. Nevermind that's a terrible idea."

Thomas gets up and walks over to the table with the three adventurers of the Boon Companions. "Evening folks. You three seem to be one of the smaller groups of adventurers around these parts. A word of caution that there are some nasty groups about that press gang folks into working for them. If you see another wizard out in the moors I suggest you do what we did and get some distance between them and you quick. Speaking of wizards have any of you met this town's Mr. Magnificent yet?"

"Stop talkin' 'bout my ass, Tommy Boy," Zaivie calls back unconvincingly before grinning, pointing said ass in Thomas's general direction and slapping it with both meaning and gusto.

Karg Has Questionskarg_barrelgut.png.8980555602940c6e92d33c9e93c95155.png

While you're discussing plans and eating your supper, Karg Barrelgut, blacksmith, enters the Strumpet and comes to your table.

"You go to Barrowmoor today, heh? Do you see my cousin, Gern? He's been gone many days; I start to worry."

spacer.png

HP 6/6 | AC 13 | To Hit +1 | Stats | Saves | Arrows x25

The sight of town was a feeling Cyrus wasn't sure was real. His danger of death, real or perceived, was a sobering experience. Adventure suddenly felt much less shiny, much less safe. His gentle hometown worldview had been a beautiful lie.

At the strumpet, Cyrus went up to the bar and called, "Barkeep a shot of whiskey--strong." He'd pay the tab and down the alcohol in one go, coughing several times. He waited for the warmth of joy to cover his woes as he ordered dinner and paid for his room for the night.

When Karg came in, Cyrus already had a big smile on his face, a small laugh escaping as he thought about the Brigands. He looked to Black Dougal for de facto leadership in the matter. He was in no state to be delicate.

image.png.06fd47ef5ad4defaf62a64a5804ac912.png

Dougal is nothing if not delicate. "Hello Karg! Yes, well...about that. I have good news and bad news. Which do you prefer to hear first?" Sensing a complete lack of patience in Karg, he hastily continues. "Yes, I saw Gern. Unfortunately I was alone, and Gern was under the watchful eye of Bertrand and his Brigands. As much as I wanted to stage a heroic rescue, I was unfortunately in no position to do so on my own. So the good news is, I can confirm that he is still alive."

Dougal clears his throat, trying his best not to ruffle Karg's feathers any more than necessary. "The bad news is that we were unable to affect a rescue. Bertrand's band is larger than our own, and well equipped." Dougal holds up his hand, forestalling the obvious argument about 'backing out on our commitment' that he's sure is mounting in the stolid dwarf. "That's not to say we're backing out! We will just need to go about it with planning and caution. That is, of course, unless you have blades, armor, and a half-dozen friends that would like to help us confront Bertrand head-on."

"It is my hope that we might be able to confront Bertrand on a diplomatic level, and rescue Gern without bloodshed. That might involve purchasing him off of his present enslavers...I just don't know right now. But rest assured, friend Karg, that we are working on a solution!"

Black Dougal

Karg doesn't seem thrilled about your report, but he's a pragmatic dwarf and understands why you didn't just charge in.

"Hrm. Yes, Bertrand very strong. Probably chop you up, heh? That not do Gern any good. Okay, you go talk to Bertrand tomorrow. Ask him what he wants. Maybe talk him to letting Gern go, he's just a lad. Okay, deal then."

Karg turns on his heel and leaves before you can stammer out a reply.

Name
Charisma check at +2 for good speech
1d20+3 8

Rumors from Bollo

The owner of the Brazen Strumpet pockets Dougals's coin with a quick hand.

"Bertrand's Brigands are a hard company," he says, "but Bertrand doesn't kill just for fun. Maybe you can talk to him like Karg said, but if things aren't going your way, you just get out of there with your skin if you know what's good for you."

"Your group has done better than some of that lot you arrived with. One other group never came back. Hopefully, they're okay and just in Bogtown or some such. Another group—only two came back out of four. They say they ran into some strange men in the swamp. They said they were hunched, mutated, like they were part animal. Makes my skin crawl, it does."

Name
Rumors
1d20 7

Thomas

The Boon Companions seem surprised that you approached them.

The one you've heard is named Sly is a hawk-featured man of about thirty years. He wears a short beard and a skeptical expression.

"We'll take it under advisement," he replies to Thomas.

"There's no need to be rude," Sly's elven comrade says to him. "We appreciate the warning, friend. This is Sly. I'm Torvik. The big lout to my right is Brule. What are you drinking today?"

cropped_man_at_arms.jpg.26b5a67df8697a26c5a94d4611064eec.jpgTharnakalian takes a swig and sits next to Thomas.

I "work" with Thomas. Name's Tharnakalian. It's tough out there. Got a lot of respect for anyone plying this trade with honor or whatever honors left in this land. I'm just drinking whatevers local, I'll let Thomas answer for himself.

In an aside, Tharnakalian says to Thomas and any of his companions nearby,

We could pay some coin in apology to the caravanmaster. Slight might still ache him, but gold is a language he truly understands.

Thomas.PNG.27c6461ee7d33253283c0b6725a507bd.PNG

HP 5/5 | AC 16 | Base To Hit +1 | Stats | Saves | Thieves Abilities | Bullets/Silver x20/5

Thomas thankful for Tharnakalian's company as Sly seemed a bit offended by his comments. "I am just drinking the ale tonight."

Thomas and Tharnakalian

Torvik waves Bollo's half-elven barmaid over. "Merda! Two ales for our new friends."

Merda, who is less friendly by half than her co-workers, rolls her eyes and heads to the bar.

"Don't know why you always call that one," Brule says in a deep baritone. "She seems like she'd rather pull out her own toenails than bring food to your table."

"Ah, but such beauty!" Torvik says, "Those eyes, that jawline! Like a delicate statue, that one. The wonders of elven heritage."

"Bah! Let me call Taycee over here. Give me a good redhead with enormous—" Brule raises his hands to chest height to leave no doubt about what part of Taycee's anatomy he is commenting on. Just then, the barmaid in question passes behind him and clonks him over the head with an empty ale mug, sending Sly and Torvik into peals of laughter. Taycee continues serving, looking over her shoulder to wink at her victim. Brule, chuckling, rubs the back of his head.

"So," Sly says, shaking his head. "Who'd you have a run-in with? The Brigands? Renata?"

Zaivie had missed most of this, and likely would have skipped over the nuances regardless, but upon seeing Taycee whack a man upside the head, she raises her own mug meaningfully from across the room and calls out, "Good fer you, hun!"

cropped_man_at_arms.jpg.26b5a67df8697a26c5a94d4611064eec.jpgTharnakalian nods in agreement. Ale is more than fine, sure enough. I suppose we can tell you the sum of how things stand. If you can return the dwarf, well that won't be profit for us but it'll be doing right by the parties victimized so that's good enough by me. It's the Bertrand's Brigands I think they called - here he gives a rundown of what Dougal say and then related to him - and they have put Karg to fetch and carry.

Renata? I don't know that name, I'm afraid.

He shrugged at the waitress smacking his neighbor with the mug. Some phrase about the "wages of sin" from his churchgoing days leaped to the front of hims mind.

Turgen's Trade Goods

Turgen starts business early, but if you intend to go to the Barrow Mounds today to inquire about pack animals, you will still get off to a later-than-usual start.

Since Turgen is also the local representative for the Silver Standard Caravan Company, he has a good selection of horses and mules. He only has one cart available, but it seems sturdy enough.

Black Dougal, being one of the better talkers in your group, does some negotiating with Turgen.

Turgen asks for 40gp for the mule and another 50gp for the cart. Both are fair prices.

Name
Black Dougal CHA check
1d20+1 9

cropped_man_at_arms.jpg.26b5a67df8697a26c5a94d4611064eec.jpgTharnakalian nods at this. Unless there are any objections, 90gp all told seems like a fair deal. We should shake hands, pay him, and be on our way to that pointy hatted fellow.

He had of course never seen this wizard in his life but all wizards had pointy hats. Tharnakalian knew this as he knew the sky was blue and would name anyone who said otherwise a liar although maybe not name them such to their face.