Barrowmaze Part One: The Barrowmoor

cailano

Cyrus

While keeping watch, you hear what sounds like people working to the north. Pickaxes or hammers. It sounds a few hundred yards off, but sound doesn't seem to carry well in the Barrowmoor, so it's hard to say exactly.

cropped_man_at_arms.jpg.26b5a67df8697a26c5a94d4611064eec.jpgTharnakalian leaves the rest of his companions to finish the last bit of scavenging from the barrow mound.

Anything going on out here? he asks Cyrus when he emerges from the dark, his vision briefly flaring in the afternoon light such as it is in the Barrowmoor.

Zaivie helps carry if carrying is needed and otherwise is happy to pop over to another mound before darkness falls.

When Tharnakalian asks Cyrus what's going on, she pauses to listen, just in case the answer was something interesting.

image.png.c1959066e0680bb9347bc314305da59d.png

As the others began to clear out of the chamber, Allen paused, his attention drawn to the bodies laid to rest within. With a mixture of curiosity and determination, he approached each corpse, carefully removing the burial shroud to inspect for any items of value that might have been interred with the deceased.

Once he had completed this task, Allen turned his focus to the stone slab beneath each body. With a keen eye for detail, he examined the surface of each slab, searching for any signs of irregularity or hidden compartments that might indicate the presence of a false door or concealed chamber.

His fingers traced the edges of the slabs, his touch gentle yet methodical as he explored every inch for any hidden mechanisms or seams. Aware of the potential for hidden treasures within the tomb, Allen remained vigilant, determined to uncover any hidden secrets beneath the cold stone surfaces.

With each careful examination, he moved from one slab to the next, his senses attuned to the possibility of discovering valuable artifacts or riches that might be concealed within the tomb.

OOC: what is the shroud made of? do they have any rings, necklaces, crowns, or other jewelry on them? not sure how big the slab is but I picture it as a big stone block either way he is searching for a hidden compartment on each if possible.

Edited by Excior (see edit history)

spacer.png

HP 6/6 | AC 13 | To Hit +1 | Stats | Saves | Arrows x25

Cyrus had obviously been listening to something as his head was turned and his vision focused northward. "I hear the sounds of people working. Probably opening another tomb. It can't be too far given how sound doesn't carry well through this mist."

Thomas.PNG.27c6461ee7d33253283c0b6725a507bd.PNG

HP 5/5 | AC 16 | Base To Hit +1 | Stats | Saves | Thieves Abilities | Bullets/Silver x20/5

Thomas wiped his dirty hands on his armor "Hmm if we hear them than that means they probably could hear Zaivie. I think we best stay on toes for now. Some of those other bands of adventurers in the area are especially nasty. I think we should try that mound just a hundred feet or so to the North and while Zaivie bashes it in with her sledge maybe Cyrus stands guard and Black Dougal and I hide in the fog a bit further to the North. I have this whistle I can use to signal if people are coming. What do you all think should we try this close mound to the North or head back to the East and avoid those other folk?"

spacer.png

HP 6/6 | AC 13 | To Hit +1 | Stats | Saves | Arrows x25

"What if that's the mound they're already working?" the archer asked, unwilling to take his eyes off the source of noise. "I also didn't hear them start up until after we finished. Maybe they heard us, maybe not."

Allen spends about twenty minutes longer in the tomb, searching the skeletons and stone slabs. There isn't much there. The shrouds and slabs are unremarkable, and the tomb doesn't seem to have any secrets to hide. If that rumored entrance into the Labyrinth -- the Barrowmaze as the locals call it -- is in one of the Mounds, it doesn't seem to be this one.

One of the skeletons is wearing a silver ring that looks valuable. It comes off easily enough.

** OOC: The silver ring is worth 20gp.

It's close to 2:00 now. You have about two or three hours before you'll need to head back if you plan to reach Helix by nightfall. Where do you go?

Name
Barrowmoor Encounter Roll
1d6 3

17 minutes ago, cailano said:

Allen spends about twenty minutes longer in the tomb, searching the skeletons and stone slabs. There isn't much there. The shrouds and slabs are unremarkable, and the tomb doesn't seem to have any secrets to hide. If that rumored entrance into the Labyrinth -- the Barrowmaze as the locals call it -- is in one of the Mounds, it doesn't seem to be this one.

One of the skeletons is wearing a silver ring that looks valuable. It comes off easily enough.

** OOC: The silver ring is worth 20gp.

Allen slips the ring onto his finger and heads back outside with the others.

Screenshot2024-02-26172632-150.png.e47863f7d5bc949ed98d29671fcc9e61.png "If we can hear them, we should assume they heard Zaivie hammering away at this mound. As long as they're not opening a barrow containing a hoard of treasure, we are best to leave them be unless we're prepared to try to take it from them. It could be that group with the one in the dark armor...", Serpe lets the point trail off.

The cleric puts his hand to his head and closes his eyes as his balance seems to fail for the slightest moment, "Do any of you feel that? I do not know if us opening the mounds is affecting the power of this place, but I feel something...changing?" Serpe shakes off the feeling.

"We should move soon, regardless."

cropped_man_at_arms.jpg.26b5a67df8697a26c5a94d4611064eec.jpgTharnakalian sighed and rubbed his forehead as the decision weighed on him. I am out here for riches - most of us I think are out here for riches, and we've done somewhat well for ourselves in these expeditions.

But we gave our word we would look for that young dwarf, and confound it we ought to keep it. If the dwarf ain't there, we move on. I think we have to check, honor calls on us and some things are worth more than gold.

Thomas.PNG.27c6461ee7d33253283c0b6725a507bd.PNG

HP 5/5 | AC 16 | Base To Hit +1 | Stats | Saves | Thieves Abilities | Bullets/Silver x20/5

"I fear Thanakalian has the right of it. We should at least investigate the next mound to the North. Cyrus said the noise seemed further off than that mound and I think even with the mists we would know if they were just a 100 feet away. We should check the closest mound and if no one is there we should lay claim to it but also be wary of those to the North." Thomas paused before cautiously adding. "I'd be willing to scout ahead in the mists some to see if I can't gain any information on the source of the sound. But if I blow my whistle ya'll better come running."