Barrowmaze Part One: The Barrowmoor

cailano

Zaivie chuckles as she catches Thomas eying her up and down and back up again.

"Well, ya know what I always says, Tommy Boy: floppy's jus' pointy that ain't tryin' hard enough! Now c'mon, let's go get tha' drink, yeah?"

image.png.c1959066e0680bb9347bc314305da59d.pngAllen returns to the table where his companions had gathered, he had decided a bath and a change of clothing were in order and some maintenance on his armor and gear, with the grime of the moors off he seems much more optimistic. "What did I miss?"

The fighter flags down a serving wench " Miss can you please bring me an ale and a wedge of cheese and a chunk of day-old bread?

OOC: sorry for my absence long weekend GM if you could tell me how much a bath and a good garment washing costs I will deduct it from my sheet. can I assume that the group fills me in on what has been said I am caught up reading the in-game posts

2 hours ago, Raistlinmc said:

Zaivie chuckles as she catches Thomas eying her up and down and back up again.

"Well, ya know what I always says, Tommy Boy: floppy's jus' pointy that ain't tryin' hard enough! Now c'mon, let's go get tha' drink, yeah?"

Thomas.PNG.27c6461ee7d33253283c0b6725a507bd.PNG

HP 5/5 | AC 16 | Base To Hit +1 | Stats | Saves | Thieves Abilities | Bullets/Silver x20/5

"Sounds good Zaivie, I sure am thirsty."

Thomas follows Zaivie's lead back to the Strumpet and Taycee's drinks and laughs.

Upon arriving and meeting up with the Thomas fills in the group.

"So figuring that the Mr. Magnificent was obnoxious Zaivie and I went to his tower just now. Right as rain the wizard was home and answered the door when Zaivie knocked. I played stupid but Zaivie here saved the day. He is interested in any scrolls or enchanted artifacts that we might uncover. He said to ignore the sign but it will take some gold to get answers out of him. I forget why we wanted to talk to him anyways. But hey Zaivie and I are not turned into goats or something worse so that's a win."  Thomas waves to Taycee and asks for more ale.

image.png.06fd47ef5ad4defaf62a64a5804ac912.png

"Leave no stone unturned, that's my philosophy! Perhaps we'll uncover something soon more worthy of Mr. Magnificent's attention. Before long, we'll have him calling on us!"

With his business concluded (except drinking, of course, and perhaps a hot bath), Dougal is ready to settle in for the night and make preparations for the next day.

Screenshot2024-02-26172632-150.png.e47863f7d5bc949ed98d29671fcc9e61.png"We have the sketches from the Monolith of Doom which Zaivie made offerings to..." the young cleric looks pointedly at Zaivie, "...we should have the wizard examine those. Perhaps he can offer some history or insight into them or the origin of the stone."

"He may have other information for us that could be of use that other townsfolk aren't privy to. You don't have an optical scope such as his without having seen anything of use I'd wager." Serpe sips his ale thoughtfully.

"I caught tha' pointed look o' yers there, Serpe," Zaivie says with a raised eyebrow, mug still raised halfway. "I may not be smart, buddy boy, but I ain't blind neither! Ha!"

Screenshot2024-02-26172632-150.png.e47863f7d5bc949ed98d29671fcc9e61.pngSerpe tips his mug in Zaivie's direction, "You swing a hammer like nobody I've ever seen and have witnessed your bravery and enthusiasm first-hand and enjoyed your company. I'd be the first to shout-down anyone who doubts your qualities."

"I just want to be sure, that if we come across some sort of dark wizard or force of evil...whose side you are actually on. 'Tis all I mean. 'Robbing' graves is one thing. Validating, empowering or cavorting with darkness, another."

image.png.06fd47ef5ad4defaf62a64a5804ac912.png

"First order of business--I'd like to swing by Karg's on the way, see if young Gern is still there. Bertrand intimated that he felt the dwarf was holding back information on account of his...uh...involuntary servitude...perhaps he does know something? At the very least, it would be good to ascertain the status of the burial mound they were at. It had some kind of metal door...if they didn't breach it, maybe Gern saw something he was withholding from Bertrand that he'd be willing to share with us?"

Wiping his brow, Dougal continues. "Though we didn't precisely arrange for Gern's liberation, it was in progress so that should count for something. Karg seems an honorable enough sort, in his way. Worst case scenario, Gern doesn't know anything and no time wasted!"

spacer.png

HP 6/6 | AC 13 | To Hit +1 | Stats | Saves | Arrows x25

Serpe's words made much sense to Cyrus, so much so he raised his mug of ale. "Here, here," he said. "Already seen plenty of darkness out there, we don't need to be inviting it in..."

"Sometimes I think wha' you boys c'nsider invitin' darkness in is jus' wha' I c'nsider havin' fun, but hey, takes all kinds ta make this world o' ours. Cheers," Zaivie says, raising her own glass in turn, though whether her toast is in conjunction with Cyrus's or in open defiance of it is certainly up for debate.

June 30th, 1183 King's Reckoning

Life In Helix

The morning is foggy, but aside from that, life in Helix seems much as you've seen it since your arrival. Bollo and his barmaids are busy getting food and drink out to the customers, and the streets are full of would-be adventurers and townsfolk going about their business.

You've already begun to see patterns among the "adventuring" types. At least half of them don't seem to do anything except drink at the Strumpet, talk about getting rich in the Barrowmoor, and wander the streets pretending to be adventurers. Many of this group have already left town, likely chased out by Bollo's prices for room and board.

The next group is comprised of the brave but foolish. These men (and a few women) trudge into the Moor with substandard equipment and little preparation. Many do not have guides. Most of them return with nothing to show for it but muddy boots, and you wonder if they even managed to find the Barrow Mounds. Some do not return.

Yet another group is made up of those with a more realistic idea of their abilities. They tend to hire out to the mercenary guild or as guards and torch-bearers to the established adventuring bands.

And the final group is yours. Out of everyone you arrived with, your group seems to be the only one that has found some measure of success as adventurers. While the more established parties, such as the Outriders and the Brigands, don't extend you much respect, the would-be adventurers are starting to take notice of you. You get a few nods from them when you enter the common room, and some at the bar ask about your expeditions.

Allen and the Money Lender

Allen walks to The Rosy Quartz in the morning and meets H.H.R Huffnpuff, the proprietor.

Huffnpuff is an amiable human man with a head of curly brown hair. He greets you with a smile that extends nearly from ear to ear and introduces himself in grand fashion.

"H.H.R Huffnpuff, jeweler, money lender, and purveyor of ancient antiquities. How may I be of service?"

You inquire about lending rates with the idea of purchasing a suit of plate mail, but Huffnpuff quickly dismisses the idea.

"With all due respect, I wouldn't extend that loan. Don't get me wrong. I recognize you from the Strumpet, and I know your group has been selling treasures from the Barrowmoor to Turgen, but you're asking to borrow a lot of money, and I don't like to take big risks. But if you keep having success, we can do business in the future. For now, bring some of those treasures here! I have quite a few contacts in Ironguard Motte who pay good money for rare items."

Talking to Gern

While Allen is talking to the moneylender, Black Dougal heads to the Axe and Anvil to speak to Gern. The young dwarf has already put himself to work helping to clean up around the smithy.

Gern looks up nervously when Dougal walks in, and he clutches his broom like a quarterstaff.

"Can I help you?" He asks.

Cyrus and the Bowyer

The local bowyer and fletcher is an elf named Valeron, or at least you've heard his name is Valeron. From the bows displayed in his shop, he seems to be a skilled craftsman.

In addition to those, he also has some unusual cloaks on display. They are expertly made, but you can't identify the material they are made of. You've never seen anything like it.

Valeron is handsome and lithe with sharp features and long, jet-black hair. He nods at you when you enter his shop but remains silent. His is busy affixing arrowheads to their shafts.

What do you do?