The Aonach of 2040

volthawk

Letting the matters around Coedd be resolved between itself and the Jy'Mar - his people may have broadly accepted the influence of the plant/god/hivemind, but Clagath himself preferred rather more secular matters - Clagath focuses on following the back and forth between the main sides here. The posturing and veiled threats were about to be expected, but it seemed like progress was being made. When Titania mentions needing maps, Clagath nods to one of the lannan and it isn't long before a pair of maps are being projected above the central table - one of Badal and the other of Sansar, annotated with whatever the Dhaoine could pull together about troop distributions and defences present in the various countries found on/around each planet.

The arrival and apologies from the elves just gets a nod and an "Understandable. Proceed." before Clagath listens to their speech. Based on what Scorcha had told him on her return from the first Hexennial, and observation of the activities of the Principality since then, little in it surprised him but it was good to have such thoughts expressed. That was also a matter that needed discussion, after all. "You make a similar point to something I said earlier - that this invasion was a watershed moment in the history of the Elect. That much cannot be denied. Making the point, however, is not the same as offering a solution. Presumably you have one in mind already, so let's hear it."

Hinrik upholds the calm smile as he replies to Clagath. "It would depend entirely upon the answers to my hypotheticals. I wish to know what my fellow leaders are willing to tolerate- where our collective obligations lie." He casts a cold glance upon the Utopian delegation. "Though if you seek my personal preference, I believe I have already made it clear through implication. I would prefer that Sansar remains under the stewardship of Sansarites, so that the planet's resources are not simply siphoned away for the betterment of some far-off colonizing state. My concerns are particularly heightened in the case of the Jy'mar, whose associations with the piratical Black Cloud Coalition raise doubts as to their priorities..."

The August almost laughs, the effort instead leaving him coughing loudly.

"Leave it to an aggressive, expansionist and repressive people to judge the Jy'mar as poor stewards. At least we value all lives. We care not for the opinion of slavers, I only accept your presense here as respect for our host. Let me be the first to welcome any Sansar delegates to see how the Illumined Utopian 'stewards' those under its care. Come to the Wyrmholds, walk and talk to the people and prove to me and this body we are not 'Sansarian' enough to provide for and care for the peoples under our rule. Tell me that all peoples in your lands could say the same?"

Edited by SerakHawk (see edit history)

Slate Cinereal the five hundred thirty-fifth and six tenths, the Earl of Grey, has sat through the proceedings watching with half-lidded eyes sunken into a face that would be best described as statuesque only if it were taken as a given that the statue was made of weathered (and admittedly extremely jowly) wax. Only his right hand was in motion, taking what must be extremely thorough notes, if anyone was able to read the personal shorthand he used as he carved his wax tablet. It is only after the Fiori delegation introduces their quarrel that he moves to speak, inhaling wheezily before choking on his own breath. After a long bout of coughing into a handkerchief, he slowly rises, taking long enough that the conversation had moved on a bit.

A TLDR FOLLOWS BECAUSE I AM WRITING IN A LONGWINDED AND ANNOYING WAY

"The elves speak true, insofar as they name the threat at hand--or rather, which may soon be at hand (or, perhaps, it would be best to say that they speak wisely on the threats which we must consider and guard ourselves against lest they be provided the opportunity to reach our doorstep and thereby make themselves...at hand). But the Durat's--"

He's a bit confused as to what the Jy'mar are, but he's got the spirit.

"--rebuttal is strong. I have seen with my own eyes how measured their occupation of the Wormhilt has been, and I can--that is, I have read reports on the matter from sources I trust, and I can tell you that they have--these sources, I mean, are those who handed over the reports and spoke well of them and not those who gathered them, I think it may be pertinent to accurately cite--but the occupiers are proving to be inoffensive in their treatment of the captured lands. Inoffensive being a relative term, of course, but compared to historical post-conquest bloodshed. I recall some tables in an appendix of a text I read, likely the third or fourth appendix--though these were, if I recall correctly, instead lettered (Appendix A, Appendix B and so forth), that--"

An attendant leans over and whispers.

"What?"

Whispers.

"Ah. Yes." The man pauses to collect his thoughts. It takes him enough time that the conversation seems at risk of moving on, before her resumes with a hoarse yell. "THE CRUSTACEANS! You're right!"

Slate wheels around and points (inexplicably) at Hinrik.

"When the Crustaceans came here--to Coedd, I mean, and to the Arkhive's APIS event (this being the one six years past and not this year's)--they brought with them a nuclear bomb that could have killed every dignitary in the whole of the Elect. While the Arkhival Majesty may have reacted to this with good humor, I do not condone these offworlders running around with their atom bombs and bioengineered pestilence and their pirate noise chambers. Back before this interplanetary travel, when you wanted to listen to music, you'd go and listen to music. But now some of these people just have no respect. The Durats are fine. Good people, reasonable folks, know the value of a good book. But the Crustaceans are a menace, and I know I'm not the only one who thinks that those pirates are implanting a few too many cybonetics to be all there. If it means keeping them out, I say shut the door before any of them get in.

"But the Durats are already here, and the Queen's getting on with Prussia--even named that new Museum after her, did you see?--and they know how to read. You can tell a lot about someone by whether they read much. They're readers, and they're not bombing us, and I respect anyone like that."

He takes a drink of runny honey from a waxen bottle.

"Let's make this simple. Maybe they should have come here, maybe not. Maybe they shouldn't have gone to Wormhilt, maybe it's fine. The point is, we wanna keep the Crustaceans and the pirates out--and you know that those folks from Verna have had some weird goings on. Can't trust a grown person who hides their face, I always say. What are you trying to hide? And they're saying that there's some kinda eel news out there now? It's all sensationalist garbage anyway but why do they have to go and try to get shock value out of it? Back in my day, you ate hallucinatory honey, dreamt what the bees whispered in your ears at night, and you know what? We liked it!"

He pauses, lost for a moment. Then recollection.

"Er. Yes. So the Durats can stay, and they'll work out a deal with, ah, the child...queen..."

He flips through his notes frantically before his aide whispers to him and he gestures at Titania.

"...Titanium, here. And we lock up after them. Maybe make an international body if we want to have exceptions, though I don't see why we want to get more offworlders here. If we have to force it, the Durats promise to lead the military effort to keep the ruffians off Coedd. Otherwise, Coedd for Coeddites and the rest of Talcum can go spin their wheels."

He sits down with a sigh, gets another whisper, and rolls his eyes. Waving a hand, he corrects himself.

"Sorry, 'Sansar' for the 'Sansarites.' Because everything has to be so diplomatically correct."

PROMISED TLDR:

The Jy'mar seem nice enough but offworlders do present a threat. Let's let the Jy'mar and the Purifiers figure out their terms with each other, but band together to proscribe further colonization by offworlders. If we need to fight to make this work, the Jy'mar will lead the efforts. If we really want someone in, we can try to politic for it internationally by an entirely undescribed mechanism.

In response to the Jy'mar retort, and without looking up from his communicator for a second, the serpentine Oskar exhales a casual "Some lives will always be worth more than others." Hinrik looks back over his shoulder, a look of stunned anger directed at his disinterested brother, but before he can say anything for himself the Earl of Grey launches into a tirade of his own.

...This continues for several minutes.

By the time the Arkhive delegate has finished delivering his prognosis, Hinrik is completely bewildered and put-off by the speech. Still, he feels compelled to say something in response, though his positive demeanor has fallen apart in favor of a haggard tiredness. "Well put, good Earl. Perhaps instead of abandoning decorum when your motives are questioned, you can provide clear and transparent promises regarding the manner in which you seek to govern your... 'acquisition', to demonstrate how you would set yourself apart from the kinds of off-worlders that have scourged this planet in the past- and who will doubtless persist in doing so for the foreseeable future."

Unprompted, Oskar quickly chimes in with a smirk on his face. "Brother, you may wish to ease up on the Khylokian front. You'll soon find it rather inexpedient to cast them in so negative a light..."

The elder elf's face falls heavily into his prosthetic hand. "Oskar, what are you-" Wordlessly, the younger brother slides his communicator in front of his face, and after scanning the readout Hinrik's countenance somehow plumbs a new depth of stark white. "...How...? No, forget it, we'll deal with that another time." He waves the communicator away, rapidly recollecting his composure as Oskar's schadenfreude plays proudly across his face in the form of a deep grin. Letting out a deep breath, he smiles and gestures to Titania. "You're the aggrieved party here, might you have any further words on the subject of the trustworthiness of the Jy'mar?"

Clagath lets the Earl get through his entire rambling speech - he had made sure that his business today was properly delegated, so he had the time - and watches the response of the elves with interest, particularly when the Khlokians are brought up again. Interesting. In any case, for now he had to focus on the matter at hand. "How about a...sponsorship system, of sorts. It would be...hasty to shut ourselves off entirely from offworlders and the opportunities they can bring us, to the point that we preemptively ward them off with blockades, but at the same time the argument of protecting the rest of Sansar from being picked off by the militaries of offworld Elect forces rings true. With that in mind, the concept of sponsorship comes to mind - if an offworlder comes to Sansar uninvited, we work together to protect Sansar against them, but if an offworld Elect member that one of us are in good standing with wishes to join us here...we allow it, with the caveat that the country backing them bears a degree of responsibility for the actions of those they have supported. In that way, Sansar is not left alone and isolated, but we are not also leaving our gates open and unbarred to anyone with a navy. I suppose the Jy'mar can be the first test of the system, with either the backing of the Purifiers - if they accept that - or myself if need be."

The First Speaker is first to stand and speak now, the August seemingly bent over in pain from something.

"The Illumined Utopian would acquiesce to a sponsorship system, it would be our honor to have the Eilif Dhaoine provide oversight on our holdings and sponsor us."

Titania has waited a while and let the others talk things out, making notes, looking around for possible locations. She writes down that "Titanium" sounds like a neat name for a metal, she might look into that sometime. All in all, the woman eventually speaks.

"I am willing to give this sponsor system a test, and I am willing to enter this military alliance. The trust is not quite there, but those of the Arkhive and other connections give some reason that they can be trusted, and the purpose of this venture would be to build said trust. With them helping us take a colony until it is ours, and helping us hold and reclaim it if necessary. This is far from an ideal situation, but it will... suffice, provided the bargain is held. This will, of course, depend on whether Badal will accept such things, and I am not yet sure if those people are as willing to give a system like this a shot as much as we are on Sansar."

Edited by Rocket Relm (see edit history)

If thats what people all want, I don't think Coedd is gonna obect. Frankly, if I'm right, it might be coming to you with a sponsorship soon. But this is just me reading between lines so don't come at me if I'm wrong.

Bit of a thing I wanted, or, oyu know, it wanted, to talk to the Elves about as well and it's a little bit awkward. Coedd's concerned about the damage inflicted on the plantlife in your recent battles he frowns, trying to remember the term of address and settles on My Lords. People have been dispatched to start repairing some of the damage because we weren't expecting to see you here. It's too late to call them back but if it's a problem I'm sure we can find a way of working for the other area you fought in and anything else coming up

Hinrik's lips purse slightly, though it is difficult to say whether this indicates frustration or contemplation. His presentation certainly favors the latter, as he nods hesitantly with a hand to his chin. "The proposed system is amenable, though I am still... skeptical, shall we say, of the present candidate." He draws a small notepad from an internal pocket and a pen with which to jot down additions to what is already a crowded page. "Once again, your willingness to fraternize with a power so potentially harmful to Sansar as the Black Cloud Coalition is a disconcerting trait. Additionally, though we do not begrudge your choice of labor policy, your August-" He raises himself slightly to catch a view of the other dignitary, apparently 'bent over in pain,' "-is he alright? No matter. Hostility to our own policies was openly expressed within this council and has been iterated upon at the political level with this "Prime Marcus'" condemnation of the Basu-Rahman Group. Mind you, we do not endorse their advertisement in any capacity, though the implicit trajectory of your messaging was clear. So, I ask you now, do you hold any intentions of acting against the Principality of Verdalfheim or aiding others who would do so on your behalf?"

Coedd Concerns
"I... what?" Hinrik appears genuinely confused in response to this interjection, eyebrows askew atop his crimson eyes. "Why should we care about contributions to rebuilding efforts? These are lands which we seek to rule, of course we want to see them in their best possible condition..."

From just past Hinrik's shoulder, the other elf raises an eyebrow at the news, searching something up on his handheld device as his elder brother speaks, following his conclusion with a perplexed statement of his own. "There is far more vegetation to be found in Grigialfheim than in the western deserts, what in the Emperor's name could you possibly be doing there?"

Not for me to say he shrugs but seems to me that there's less vegetation in the desert and it's harder for it to thrive there. Even Coedd has limited attention and time, probably figures that the desert stuff needed more help or more urgent help or something. I can ask, you know, officially if that's a genuine questions?

On 3/2/2024 at 2:56 PM, Rocket Relm said:

Titania has waited a while and let the others talk things out, making notes, looking around for possible locations. She writes down that "Titanium" sounds like a neat name for a metal, she might look into that sometime. All in all, the woman eventually speaks.

"I am willing to give this sponsor system a test, and I am willing to enter this military alliance. The trust is not quite there, but those of the Arkhive and other connections give some reason that they can be trusted, and the purpose of this venture would be to build said trust. With them helping us take a colony until it is ours, and helping us hold and reclaim it if necessary. This is far from an ideal situation, but it will... suffice, provided the bargain is held. This will, of course, depend on whether Badal will accept such things, and I am not yet sure if those people are as willing to give a system like this a shot as much as we are on Sansar."

11 hours ago, moossabi said:

Hinrik's lips purse slightly, though it is difficult to say whether this indicates frustration or contemplation. His presentation certainly favors the latter, as he nods hesitantly with a hand to his chin. "The proposed system is amenable, though I am still... skeptical, shall we say, of the present candidate." He draws a small notepad from an internal pocket and a pen with which to jot down additions to what is already a crowded page. "Once again, your willingness to fraternize with a power so potentially harmful to Sansar as the Black Cloud Coalition is a disconcerting trait. Additionally, though we do not begrudge your choice of labor policy, your August-" He raises himself slightly to catch a view of the other dignitary, apparently 'bent over in pain,' "-is he alright? No matter. Hostility to our own policies was openly expressed within this council and has been iterated upon at the political level with this "Prime Marcus'" condemnation of the Basu-Rahman Group. Mind you, we do not endorse their advertisement in any capacity, though the implicit trajectory of your messaging was clear. So, I ask you now, do you hold any intentions of acting against the Principality of Verdalfheim or aiding others who would do so on your behalf?"

The august remains seated after a toothy glare from First Speaker Paola before she launches into a response.

"The August is fine, he just needs to take a minute to reflect on his words. To start at your statement of the Black Cloud Coalition's potential harmful nature toward Sansar... their caustic nature is a known quality on Badal - they must be managed with care. If anything they are more poised to befriend Sansar with the good relations they have fostered with the Arkhive and House Ebonne. I do not know of any specific grievance the Black Cloud has inflicted on Sansar to obtain this bad name, if anything the Khylokians are more deserving of your concern more as they have actually launched raiders from across all of Tekham against the Biarbu Society."

Opening her hands wide apart from each other she gesticulates at those around the table.

"The Utopian's aim for arrival on Sansar was to forge closer ties with the Arkhive, and by proxy all of Sansar. I will not rehash what has been said on that front about it not being the cleanest of arrivals. I have read Prime Marcus' sanction on the Basu-Rahman Group, he is within his right as the spiritual lead of the Triumvirate to make these decisions without significant consultation. I saw no mention of specific nations or specific instances of offense. It is not the Utopian's intention to force nations to follow our paths and our beliefs. If you wish we could discuss the specific nature of your concern that we would act against the Principality of Verdalfheim or aiding others doing such following this meeting, perhaps without the August in attendance?"

Turning back to Titania the First Speaker locks eyes with the young ruler.

"Badal is firstly concerned with survival on badal. There is a specific region the Illumined Utopian has laid claim to that would fall under our purview that we could allow your nation to take ownership of with support from our fleet. The issue at hand is that the government of the Wyrmhold is set in opposition of Utopian, which is understandable if you wish to deny us a 'beach-head' against your capital should it come to arms. However; if we support you to take this aero-stat near us we would be put in the same position of an easily accessible 'beach-head' against our capital. If we are to enter a situation of mutual trust I recommend that the balance be made fair. The Utopian proposes that you relinquish your claim on the Wyrment and Utopian will not involve ourselves in the government of our neighboring aero-stat. Failing that being an option, Utopian proposes that we integrate ourselves with the government of our neighboring aero-stat and we both obtain holdings with the other party's involvement. We are open to discussions on this matter, but if we are sponsoring your arrival on Badal with the other Badalian Elect as we are being sponsered on Sansar then we would want our relationship to begin on equal footing instead of an imbalance of power that may lead to future conflict."

"YES!" Oskar's exclamation, directed at whatever he has been keeping track of on his personal device, is accompanied by a toothy grin right as Hinrik is about to respond to the Jy'mar, inviting a confused look from the elder brother. The scaly visage of Oskar finally graces the meeting with his full attention as he steps forward and places his hands on the table. "Pardon my prior lack of engagement, I had pressing matters to monitor which would ultimately determine what words I had to share with this council. One week ago, our Committee of Lunar Inquiry confirmed successful landfall on Aridyin. As of one minute ago, they have confirmed that our establishment of a base on the moon's surface was also a success."

Still thoroughly baffled, Hinrik forces out a smile. "An impressive feat, brother. Now, if we could please return to the matter at hand-"

"I am not done." Oskar slides his device towards the middle of the table, pushing a button to project a hologram map of the planetoid for the sake of the entire attending audience. "You may notice that the location of our insertion overlaps with the section explored by the White Pawns in months prior. Though they surely deserve commendation for their first landing, the Committee of Lunar Inquiry cannot accept the security risk posed by conceding a single inch of this astral body to another power. To this end, I hereby declare that Aridyin is to be the sole domain of the Fiorid Principality. This is no condition or threat; it is a notification of fact." He calmly retrieves the device from the table, sliding it into a pocket with a disturbingly genuine smile on his face. "You may resume."

Hinrik is unable to muster a single further word.

Posted (edited)

Clagath nods as he hears the elves lay out their terms when it came to Aridyin. It was about what he had expected, from Scorcha's comments to him about the way the elves operated and the reports he had been getting about their interest in Aridyin. Still, he wondered if it would be so simple...

"Very well. For better or worse, Aridyin is your own concern. We are working towards securing a presence in the parts of Firmament that the Durats have not laid claim to, so it doesn't concern me much one way or another - providing of course, that you give others the respect you are given in this regard."

Edited by volthawk (see edit history)