Book 2, Part 1b: Seven Days to the Grave

CharmingSatyr

Posted (edited)

Seven Days to the Grave - Habus

Sewerbound

The aggressively offensive stench of the sewers greets Habus like that old friend that is too familiar, unliked, but you cannot get rid of. Memories of long, cold nights sheltered from the winter cold and heavy coastal downpours burble up from the depths of the dwarf's subconscious. Deeper and deeper he travels, his dwarvish instincts telling him that he's still near the surface, though he only has his memories and Eries' directions to guide him to his destination.

After a time of wandering and trudging through the muck and grime of the city above, the dwarf approaches his quarry. Slowing his steps to keep from making too much noise, he watches and listens from afar, and is rewarded with the sounds of conversations and the squeaks of giant rats.

Ahead, there is a massive rent in the wall, large enough for a human-sized creature to squeeze through with only a little effort. Wan, flickering light comes from within, and shadows move to and fro. Several somethings are moving about the space and, at the moment, they seem unaware of Habus' approaching presence.

Edited by CharmingSatyr (see edit history)

On 3/23/2024 at 3:57 PM, CharmingSatyr said:

Seven Days to the Grave - Chappie

Despite the late hour that he arrived home, Chappie gets an early start on the day. With a lot on his plate, and even more on his mind, he feels the need to get busy and make things happen. Following a quick wash and a quicker meal, he retreats to the laboratory, eager to make use of his investment of the alchemy lab, books, and supplies.

Opening the door to the lab, he finds a surprise waiting for him in the form of a young elven boy sitting with several of Chappie's books, pouring through them deep in concentration. Engrossed in the activity, the lad doesn't hear the door open or notice the increased illumination from the open door. As Chappie approaches, he can get a better look at the youth's activities, getting a good idea of what he's doing. Judging by the sketches and writings, the boy is copying over the text from Chappie's books into a cheap notebook of his own, complete with diagrams and alchemical formulae.

Chappie looked over the elven youth busy stealing his recipes. He had been around too many thieves and done too much stealing himself to be upset. This was the way of the world. You know, most of those recipes are just memory devices to help me remember the actual steps. You're only get half of the recipe by copying it out of my book. The other half is in my head. The best way to learn to make them is with practical experience. Why don't you show me what you've copied and I can tell you what you're missing? What's your name?

[Bluff)t.

Edited by Fiery Gift (see edit history)
Name
[Bluff)
(1d20+7) 11
Sense Motive
1d20+6 18

Maria Bruneau

spacer.pngMaria Bruneau — Aasimar monk (unchained) 4
AC/T/FF 17/17/15 | HP 36/36 | Init +2 | Speed 40ft | Fort/Ref/Will 7/7/3 | Dark vision (60')
Stunning Fist 4/4 (DC 15) | Alter Self 1/1 | Ki: 5/5

Ki Powers: Elemental Fury +1d6 electric to unarmed for 2 rounds
Active Conditions: none

Maria Vignette

"You could take a few more moments to enjoy yourself like that," she smiled looking into his eyes after their kiss broke off. To emphasize her words she leaned in for another, lingering and in no rush.

"But what's this about your sister?" she asked, realizing how far they've fallen behind the others. She took his hand to rush to catch up.

Back at Zellara's place she crouched down to hug Shireen and give her a very different kind of kiss. Seeing the letter, she picked it up and read it.

"Duty calls, Father. But her excellency can wait a little so I can help out someone important to me. Tell me more about you Sister and why she's troubling you."

Mechanics

Move:
Standard:
Free:

Stat Block

%5Bb%5D%5Burl%3Dhttp%3A%2F%2Fwww.myth-weavers.com%2Fsheet.html%23id%3D2092010%5DMaria%20Bruneau%5B%2Furl%5D%5B%2Fb%5D%20%5Bi%5Daasimar%20-%20angelkin%20Monk%204%20LG%5B%2Fi%5D%20%5Bb%5DHP%5B%2Fb%5D%2036%20%2F%20%20%5Bb%5DSpeed%5B%2Fb%5D%20ft%20%5Bb%5DInit%5B%2Fb%5D%202%20%5Bb%5DAC%5B%2Fb%5D%2017%20%5Bb%5DFort%5B%2Fb%5D%207%20%5Bb%5DRef%5B%2Fb%5D%207%20%5Bb%5DWill%5B%2Fb%5D%203%20%5Bb%5DCMB%5B%2Fb%5D%20%2B9%20%5Bb%5DBAB%5B%2Fb%5D%204%20%5Bb%5Dmwk%20sansetsukon%5B%2Fb%5D%20%2B9%20(1d10%2B6%2C%2019-20)%0A%5Bb%5Dshuriken%5B%2Fb%5D%20%2B6%20(1d2%2B4%2C%20x2)%0A%5Bb%5D%5B%2Fb%5D%20%20(%2C%20)%0A%5Bb%5Dunarmed%20%5B%2Fb%5D%20%2B8%20(1d8%2B6%2F1d8%2B4%2C%2020)%0A%5Bb%5Dkusarigama%5B%2Fb%5D%20%2B8%20(1d3%2F1d6%20%2B6%2C%2020)%20%5Bb%5DStr%5B%2Fb%5D%2018%20(4)%20%5Bb%5DDex%5B%2Fb%5D%2014%20(2)%20%5Bb%5DCon%5B%2Fb%5D%2014%20(2)%20%5Bb%5DWis%5B%2Fb%5D%2010%20(0)%20%5Bb%5DInt%5B%2Fb%5D%208%20(-1)%20%5Bb%5DCha%5B%2Fb%5D%2016%20(3)%20
Maria Bruneau aasimar - angelkin Monk 4 LG HP 36 / Speed ft Init 2 AC 17 Fort 7 Ref 7 Will 3 CMB +9 BAB 4 mwk sansetsukon +9 (1d10+6, 19-20)
shuriken +6 (1d2+4, x2)
(, )
unarmed +8 (1d8+6/1d8+4, 20)
kusarigama +8 (1d3/1d6 +6, 20) Str 18 (4) Dex 14 (2) Con 14 (2) Wis 10 (0) Int 8 (-1) Cha 16 (3)

Trained Skills

Acrobatics +8
Bluff +8
Diplomacy +8*
Handle Animal +4
Intimidate +15
Knowledge (History) +3
Knowledge (local) +6
Knowledge (nobility) +1
Linguisitics +1
Perception +7
Perform +7
Profession (waitress) +5
Stealth +6

* +2 vs. members of Korvosan underworld, -1 if not well dressed or otherwise covered in muck

Seven Days to the Grave - Nykla continued ...

548-1690550022-2098720351.webp.5a710761b683a46b052ce822e75e7836.webp"Lucky for you, you came to the right place," she states, taking another form, growing out her long, curly locks to cover much of her body, appearing both more demure and, yet, more decadently exposed. She reaches out a hand behind her without looking, and a servant places a small, embossed card into her delicate, manicured fingers. "Despite their best efforts, I was able to obtain an invitation."

"Because, I mean ... of course I was." Playfully, she winks, displaying the invitation in hand.

"I was angry, of course. I had thoughts of storming the manor. Maybe fireball the hedges. Definitely freeze the koi pond. Tear up some tapestries. Shatter some statuary. Break some bones. That sort of thing." She grins, broad and feral, like a jungle cat on the prowl thinking about the mayhem she could've caused.

With a sigh, she relents, becoming all business again. "But ... discretion won out. I had too many ... clients present at the party. Losing my temper meant losing power, losing influence, losing money, and making enemies."

"Which is such a bore!" She gives a melodramatic sigh, complete with over-the-top eyerolls, before turning her attention back to Nykla. With a slow, theatrical flourish, she extends her arm, offering the invitation.

"You know Josper Mountainborn, right?" She asks, then continues without waiting for a response, "I sent him in my stead. He was supposed to be my eyes and ears. While you're sussing the place out, give him a swift kick and tell him to report. I'm sure you can show yourself out."

Seven Days to the Grave - Chappie continued ...

Alchemy Lab - Zellara's House

"Yeeep!" the elven boy comically yelps, complete with a startled scattering of papers sent flying and fluttering through the air. So engrossed in his studies, the boy was completely unaware that he was no longer alone in the room until Chappie spoke. Whatever other talents this man-child might have, "chill" is not counted among them.

"Mr. ChApman!" he exclaims, eyes wide in surprise. The boy's voice breaks a little, creaking and cracking as one does in their teen years. "I didn't expect you to be in here today! And Shireen said it was okay! And Zellara said to respect the expensive equipment! And nobody ever comes in here so it's a great place to read, that is, if you like reading. Which I do. Like reading, that is. And it's okay about the metaphor. It's still tons better than my aunt and uncle. They're herbalists." He says the word like he expects Chappie to understand and agree.

The young man hops up, still holding several books and a notebook, now pressed against his chest with one arm, and extends the other and offers a handshake. "We've never been properly introduced," he offers by way of a more formal introduction. "I'm Iymibryl. That's with two 'I's and two 'Y's."

Now that the young man is closer and Chappie can get a good look, he recognizes the lad as one of Shireen's cadre of friends and, he thinks, maybe one of the rescued orphans from Gaedrun Lamm's fishery enterprise -- which would explain the nervousness and look of wide-eyed awe at your mere presence. Having utilized the element of surprise, Chappie is able to get a good and definitive read on the lad. He is what he appears to be, an earnest young bookworm eager to read and learn and happy to have found a warm, quiet place with books. It's difficult to tell what exactly the boy was writing, but from what you can see of his sketches, he was focused on equipment maintenance and techniques for using them.

Seven Days to the Grave - Maria continued ...

image.jpeg.c71b8e5483067102279b6da73ce3e8f9.jpeg"That's just it," he throws up his hands in exasperation. "I don't know. Nobody knows. She won't talk to me. She won't talk to the church elders. She's dismissed her entire staff. She's just ... cut herself off from everybody."

"She says she's fine," he stops, pausing for a moment to calm himself, before softly adding, "but I fear the worst. And I know that it's a crazy thing to worry about with the city literally falling to pieces all around us. But ... I'm the only family ... real family that she has." Left unspoken is the implication that, by extension, she is the only 'real family' that he has as well. "All we've had, since our mother died, is each other and the church. If she's turned her back on all of us, what does that even mean?"

"I'll just have to find the time to reach out to her again, and find out what's going on," he gives a dry, wry chuckle, " ... in between my regular duties to the church, helping fighting off a disease plaguing the city, and convincing the church elders to coordinate with the other faiths to mount a coordinated defense against this outbreak before it gets out of hand ... "

" ... you know ... in all the free time I have on my hands."

He stops himself, looking deeply into Maria's eyes, and lets out a long, slow sigh. He grins, apparently just happy at the sight of her. "You know ... you are very easy to talk to. Perhaps you missed your calling in the priesthood. I know some people. I could put in a good word." He gives a sly smile.

I see; Shireen said it was "ok"? For what it is worth, I can tell you she didn't ask me first. Maybe take this experience into account next time you're weighing advice from Shireen. Chappie advised the boy. I certainly will.

So, tell me, what did you do for Gaedren Lamm when you worked for him? Chappie asked. Many years ago, I ran errands for him too . . . until he got sick of me. Then I was cut up and thrown away. Luckily for me, I wasn't as dead as he thought I was.

Habus takes a half-second to mentally brace himself, then moves through the gap. Some of his new friends might have listened, but he's always considered himself more of a blunt instrument. "Girrigz! Get your furry butt over here. I here tell you've got some idiot ideas that are gonna get you lot killed when the public gets just a little bit more stirred up about rats and plague."

Name
intimidate
1d20+11 10

image.png.334a382dae9bfd443dc3afeb3cf02052.png

Statblock

Nykla Haldane
Female LE Tiefling (Hellspawn) Sorcerer, Level 3, Init 2, HP 12/12, Speed 30 Feet
AC 13, Touch 12, Flat-footed 11, CMD 13, Fort 1, Ref 3, Will 4, CMB +1, Base Attack Bonus 1
Masterwork Dagger +2 (1d4, 19-20x2)
Dagger (For Throwing) +3 (1d4, 19-20x2)
(+1 Armor, +2 Dex)
Abilities Str 10, Dex 14, Con 10, Int 14, Wis 13, Cha 17
Condition None

Nykla accepted the invitation, and gave Vimanda a respectful, but not subservient nod. "I'll make sure to send Josper your way, even if I have to sober him up myself." Last time she'd ran into Mountainborn, he'd been quite drunk. Fond of his wine, from her memory of that party. With one further polite farewell, Nykla left quickly, not letting herself exhale with relief until she was safely out of the mansion and off the grounds of the estate.

Okay, so I made it out of there alive, with everything I need. Gods above, I need a drink. Or twelve, but she'd settle for one, if the alcohol at this party was worth it. One drink while she looked for Amin and Mountainborn - and delivered the latter the kick he merited and the directions he needed. She'd have to fit in at the affair, and people would notice if she didn't drink.

She looked at the invitation and tried to think if she could recall anything interesting or useful about the destination, or the people or family behind it as she kept walking.

Name
Untrained Knowledge Check
1d20+2 2

Maria Bruneau

spacer.pngMaria Bruneau — Aasimar monk (unchained) 4
AC/T/FF 17/17/15 | HP 36/36 | Init +2 | Speed 40ft | Fort/Ref/Will 7/7/3 | Dark vision (60')
Stunning Fist 4/4 (DC 15) | Alter Self 1/1 | Ki: 5/5

Ki Powers: Elemental Fury +1d6 electric to unarmed for 2 rounds
Active Conditions: none

Maria Vignette

"Oh no no no no," she held up her hand defensively, smiling but backing away from the priest.

"You aren't getting me in a priestess' robe, telling other people how they're living their lives wrong is really not for me!" she added.

"Not to mention that most of the gods, especially yours! Take a dim view of a lot of the things I value in life. If I was to get into a priestess' robe I might not be supporting someone Abadar is fond of. I mean don't get me wrong I like cities and civilization a whole lot more than living in the backwater. And laws, yeah laws are what we need to protect the little people from the tyrants like, you know," she paused, not wanting to name Ileosa, not even really knowing if she was a tyrant, but that whole incident with Trinia and now the Grey Maidens was sure pointing in a bad direction.

"But the whole exploiting the working classes to make a mountain of gold thing, definitely not for me! Still, helping out a friend definitely is. If you want an excuse to talk to your sister, and introduce me you can always ... um... introduce me. Maybe a little early to bring the girlfriend to meet family, but I'm game if you are, Father." She smiled with a flirty smirk.

Mechanics

Move:
Standard:
Free:

Stat Block

%5Bb%5D%5Burl%3Dhttp%3A%2F%2Fwww.myth-weavers.com%2Fsheet.html%23id%3D2092010%5DMaria%20Bruneau%5B%2Furl%5D%5B%2Fb%5D%20%5Bi%5Daasimar%20-%20angelkin%20Monk%204%20LG%5B%2Fi%5D%20%5Bb%5DHP%5B%2Fb%5D%2036%20%2F%20%20%5Bb%5DSpeed%5B%2Fb%5D%20ft%20%5Bb%5DInit%5B%2Fb%5D%202%20%5Bb%5DAC%5B%2Fb%5D%2017%20%5Bb%5DFort%5B%2Fb%5D%207%20%5Bb%5DRef%5B%2Fb%5D%207%20%5Bb%5DWill%5B%2Fb%5D%203%20%5Bb%5DCMB%5B%2Fb%5D%20%2B9%20%5Bb%5DBAB%5B%2Fb%5D%204%20%5Bb%5Dmwk%20sansetsukon%5B%2Fb%5D%20%2B9%20(1d10%2B6%2C%2019-20)%0A%5Bb%5Dshuriken%5B%2Fb%5D%20%2B6%20(1d2%2B4%2C%20x2)%0A%5Bb%5D%5B%2Fb%5D%20%20(%2C%20)%0A%5Bb%5Dunarmed%20%5B%2Fb%5D%20%2B8%20(1d8%2B6%2F1d8%2B4%2C%2020)%0A%5Bb%5Dkusarigama%5B%2Fb%5D%20%2B8%20(1d3%2F1d6%20%2B6%2C%2020)%20%5Bb%5DStr%5B%2Fb%5D%2018%20(4)%20%5Bb%5DDex%5B%2Fb%5D%2014%20(2)%20%5Bb%5DCon%5B%2Fb%5D%2014%20(2)%20%5Bb%5DWis%5B%2Fb%5D%2010%20(0)%20%5Bb%5DInt%5B%2Fb%5D%208%20(-1)%20%5Bb%5DCha%5B%2Fb%5D%2016%20(3)%20
Maria Bruneau aasimar - angelkin Monk 4 LG HP 36 / Speed ft Init 2 AC 17 Fort 7 Ref 7 Will 3 CMB +9 BAB 4 mwk sansetsukon +9 (1d10+6, 19-20)
shuriken +6 (1d2+4, x2)
(, )
unarmed +8 (1d8+6/1d8+4, 20)
kusarigama +8 (1d3/1d6 +6, 20) Str 18 (4) Dex 14 (2) Con 14 (2) Wis 10 (0) Int 8 (-1) Cha 16 (3)

Trained Skills

Acrobatics +8
Bluff +8
Diplomacy +8*
Handle Animal +4
Intimidate +15
Knowledge (History) +3
Knowledge (local) +6
Knowledge (nobility) +1
Linguisitics +1
Perception +7
Perform +7
Profession (waitress) +5
Stealth +6

* +2 vs. members of Korvosan underworld, -1 if not well dressed or otherwise covered in muck

Posted (edited)

Seven Days to the Grave - Chappie continued ...

Alchemy Lab - Zellara's House

"After my par -- " the boy starts, then quickly stops, self-correcting in mid-sentence.

"After I was taken by Lamm's goons," he starts over again, treading carefully over topics he's not ready to discuss, "for a year or two, I did like most kids did -- shoveling muck and fish parts in the fishery and praying that I didn't get fed to Lamm's pet crocodile. Then I -- I hit a growth spurt and got real tall real fast. At first, I was afraid they were gonna chop off my hands, give me a wooden bowl, and make me beg for coins on the street." This description is stated matter-of-factly, in a way that convinces Chappie that the boy has seen something like that in the past.

"Luckily, the fancy-acid man," from his description, you reckon he's talking about the elder Lamm goon with the Acid Arrow wand, "I guess he knew that I came from a craftsman family, and volunteered me to be his lab assistant."

GM NOTE: Responding to this post.

I see. . . Chappie pondered the information from the young man. Chappie had been considering doing some crafting anyway, given the plague that was going about, and he also wanted to augment his arsenal. An assistant would certainly speed up the process. If you want to try doing some assistant work, I was just about to try to make a batch of antiplague and a few tanglefoot bags. Would you like to help? Given that you were trying to steal my notes, I won't pay you this time, but if you prove competent, I could stand to hire an assistant. I've been meaning to get my business restarted anyway. No stealing from me. Materials, products, or recipes. What do you think?

It seemed Shireen may have been right after all, but he still would have liked to have been asked/

Posted (edited)

Seven Days to the Grave - Habus

Underground - Wererat Hooligan Lair:  Room 1

Through the disgustingly visible haze of noxious sewer reek, the flow of unmentionable slop through the sewer tunnel’s filth-slick channel unexpectedly forks. Most of the muck continues on its expected path, but a small stream of ooze diverts off through a wide cleft in the moldy masonry wall. The man-sized crack cuts deep into the rock behind the wall, and wisps of thin white smoke issue forth. Habus, foregoing any semblance of stealth or caution, opts instead for more of a shock-and-awe approach. Relying on reputation and force of personality alone, he bursts into the underground chamber. He finds himself in a crooked, curving room, the muck-covered ceiling supported by filthy brick walls that stand canted and slanted from decades of holding up the streets above.

The flow of sewer filth oozes into this rough-hewn stone cave from the west, pooling to the south before continuing through a crude channel in the eastern wall. Fat black mushrooms and other disgusting fungus grow thick around the pool of slime. Several low alcoves are cut into the walls, each filled with moldering hay, filthy furs, and tiny bones.

At his shouted warning, he has the attention of every occupant in the room. Six pairs of eyes focus on the dwarven intruder -- three dire rats skulking around the darkened corners affix the warpriest with their beady red eyes. And three wererats -- two gambling males with dice and one immensely surprised female ostensibly keeping watch caught completely offguard by the dwarf's entrance. None of the three wererats are Girrigz, but all three of them reach for weapons at their sides.

"You lost, chummer?" one of the gambling males asks, rising to his full height of 5'2". "'Cuz lost things down here have a way of staying lost ... "

The female backs up a step, putting some distance between herself and Habus, while the third wererat circles around the periphery room.

Able to see into the chamber, Habus can now tell that there are two or three more chambers beyond this guard post, extending into some long-forgotten subterranean architecture.

Game Mechanical/Mastery Stuff

Going to have to dump a bunch of stuff on you all at once. Give me two sense motive checks, and a perception check. In addition, a Knowledge Dungeoneering (DC 15) or Knowledge Nature (DC 20). Plus whatever social rolls I can only assume you're about to try.

GM NOTE: Responding to this post.

Seven Days to the Grave - Nykla continued ...

On the way to Carowyn Manor

"Remember this child," an early memory of Nykla's mentor comes to her unbidden as she makes her way across the city to Carowyn Manor. "The best mark is someone dishonest ... someone greedy ... someone who thinks the rules shouldn't apply to them. Someone who wants what he doesn't deserve. And our job, as artists, is to feed into their baser instincts, offering them something for nothing, but giving them nothing for something. And, when it's done just right, your mark will thank you for the privilege. The worst marks, are honest men. You cannot con honest men." Now, many years removed from those early foundational lessons in creative chicanery, she knew immediately understood why her mind brought this memory to the forefront of her thoughts. Carowyn Manor. Held by the prestigious Carowyn family.

She knew of them -- everybody knew of them. Nykla had a mental map of the Carowyn family and their major holdings, as she did of many of the city's aristocratic elite. Though, due to the family's insular nature, she didn't have any significant inroads of her own in approaching them. She was on a first-name basis on a few of the younger ones on the periphery of the family. But, as a rule, they only did business with people they trusted and, as far as she could tell from the outside, all of their business dealings were with the same small circle of people, and all above board -- ruthless, cutthroat, and often callous, cruel, and unsympathetic -- but never dishonest. While this risk aversion meant that they missed out on many profitable business ventures, it also resulted in fewer disruptions to their profits. These two facts -- their isolation and their honesty -- presented so-far insurmountable challenges for someone in Nykla's line of work. They were the boogie men of the con artist world -- the ever-rare and much-feared "honest men".

Walking past the stately, gabled estates along Shoreline Way, Nykla once again finds the familiar feeling of things just being ... better ... on this part of town. The streets are cleaner. The homes more august. And the fresh sea breezes clearing away the -- let's be honest -- the funk of the city, Nykla recognizes that this is simply where a woman like her belongs, circumstances be damned. As she nears, Carowyn Manor, she's reminded of the wealth of the family to buy this plot of land, build a manor, keep it immaculately maintained with a full-time staff, and to use it only for entertaining guests away from their real home. From the edge of the property, past the fencing and shrubbery, she can see a meticulously manicured garden, complete with an ornate gazebo and a pond full of imported Ember Lake charigs. Even from a distance, Nykla can see that the limestone facade of the manor home is festooned with cinderberry garlands and bright red drapery.

Strangely, there is no one in sight. Even the gate is unmanned and, by the looks of things, unlocked -- which Nykla knows is unusual for this part of town.

Responding to this post.

image.png.334a382dae9bfd443dc3afeb3cf02052.png

Statblock

Nykla Haldane
Female LE Tiefling (Hellspawn) Sorcerer, Level 3, Init 2, HP 12/12, Speed 30 Feet
AC 13, Touch 12, Flat-footed 11, CMD 13, Fort 1, Ref 3, Will 4, CMB +1, Base Attack Bonus 1
Masterwork Dagger +2 (1d4, 19-20x2)
Dagger (For Throwing) +3 (1d4, 19-20x2)
(+1 Armor, +2 Dex)
Abilities Str 10, Dex 14, Con 10, Int 14, Wis 13, Cha 17
Condition None

"Oh fun. These assholes," She muttered as she realized where she was going. Amin was not usually the sort she'd expect to be invited to a party held by the Carowyns, but then, Amin was an intensely honest - if naive, though maybe less so these days - young man, so at least he'd be trustworthy by them. She was already working up some last-minute ideas on how she might be able to trick her way into the party if the invitation didn't work. She looked around at the mansions, busying herself by imagining which she'd buy and how she might redecorate the oftentimes gauche or tacky seeming exteriors. Too many of the elite of this city had terrible taste.

Of course, she's drawn entirely out of her pleasant fantasies of when she manages to get enough liquid capital to do just that when she sees the lack of guards, and indeed, the lack of any locks on the front gates.

Nykla tensed, swallowing. No guards on a place like this meant either extensive magical protections - even more than one might expect - or that something was going on inside she really didn't want to be involved with (like people already inside, murdering the residents). On the other hand, this was Amin, and she wasn't going to just abandon him, if that was happening.

Not at least without making some effort to get him. She wasn't quite on the 'die for him' level of affection for Amin, though her affections for him did run deeper than she liked to admit.

"Come on Nykla, you're resourceful and can lie your way out of being found in a married man's bed, naked, with him next to you. So you can lie your way through this."

She approached the gates, and cast a simple cantrip to detect magical auras. Assuming she found none, she'd push the gates open and slowly enter the garden, heading for the front door, keeping her detection up as she walked, and moving slowly.

Action: Cast Detect Magic, as often as necessary to keep it active.

HP: 15/15
Spells Per Day: 7/4