Book 2, Part 1b: Seven Days to the Grave

CharmingSatyr

Habus grunts. "Been lost before. Didn't take then. 'course Eries helped with that. Now, are you lot going to get Girrigz so we can chat about how he's bein' a dumbass? I ain't got all day. Gotta go find a cure and what-not. I'm down here as a favor to an old friend and I'm cranky about the time it's takin' already."

Edited by Inash (see edit history)
Name
sense motive x2
repeat(1d20+3,2) 18,17
perception
1d20+3 2
knowledge (whichever, untrained)
1d20 14

Posted (edited)

Seven Days to the Grave - Maria continued ...

Father Dhatri

image.jpeg.c71b8e5483067102279b6da73ce3e8f9.jpeg"Girlfriend ... " he repeats carefully, as if testing the word to see how it feels coming out of his mouth. "Girlfriend ... " His quick and easy smile slides across his lips. Evidently, he likes the way it sounds.

"Well, if we are indeed going to be girlfriend and boyfriend," he playfully teases, "I suppose you should get used to calling me 'Ishani'. It is my name, after all."

"One of these days, we'll have to discuss the teachings of Abadar. Everyone is so focused on the gold that they miss our true purpose in what we do."

"As for my sister, maybe it's best if we don't add more to her plate at the moment. Let me approach her alone, maybe test the waters a little bit. With everything that's going on -- this disease, the fight with the Gray Maidens, and everything else, her isolating herself may be a sign that she can't handle too many surprises right now."

"How about I take both of my favorite ladies out next Starday? That'll give me a week to plan, and give her an extra day after Oathday to catch up on work after services so I won't feel like I'm making things more difficult for her."

GM NOTE: Responding to this post.

Edited by CharmingSatyr (see edit history)

Maria Bruneau

spacer.pngMaria Bruneau — Aasimar monk (unchained) 4
AC/T/FF 17/17/15 | HP 36/36 | Init +2 | Speed 40ft | Fort/Ref/Will 7/7/3 | Dark vision (60')
Stunning Fist 4/4 (DC 15) | Alter Self 1/1 | Ki: 5/5

Ki Powers: Elemental Fury +1d6 electric to unarmed for 2 rounds
Active Conditions: none

Maria Vignette

"Yeah!" she shouted with a smile of fake offense giving him a, very gentle for her, punch on the shoulder for his repetition.

"Girlfriend! You could do worse, you know! Wait, you don't even want me to meet her? Was that whole sister thing just a trick to get me to call myself your girlfriend?? Hmph" she was selling it too hard now, her offense obviously faked.

She yawned when it got to the lesson about Abadar, but resisted adding in any sarcastic remarks like 'Right, gold AND precious jewels!' For her, this took a fair bit of self control. But come on Maria, gotta respect a man's calling! And honestly she kind of knew what he meant.

"I've known a lot of men who were motivated by gold and nothing else. Barvasi, even Lamm himself. I don't think any of them would have been as good a priest of Abadar as you are, Ishani. There has to be more to it than just naked wealth. I ... am not a good student. My focus is like this long. But maybe if you keep it short and use about one tenth the number of words you want to, you can explain it to me sometime. But let's not wait a week. Definitely before I go out with you and your sister, let's go just the two of us first. The way things are going in this city, I don't know if plans that far out are even realistic. "

Mechanics

Move:
Standard:
Free:

Stat Block

%5Bb%5D%5Burl%3Dhttp%3A%2F%2Fwww.myth-weavers.com%2Fsheet.html%23id%3D2092010%5DMaria%20Bruneau%5B%2Furl%5D%5B%2Fb%5D%20%5Bi%5Daasimar%20-%20angelkin%20Monk%204%20LG%5B%2Fi%5D%20%5Bb%5DHP%5B%2Fb%5D%2036%20%2F%20%20%5Bb%5DSpeed%5B%2Fb%5D%20ft%20%5Bb%5DInit%5B%2Fb%5D%202%20%5Bb%5DAC%5B%2Fb%5D%2017%20%5Bb%5DFort%5B%2Fb%5D%207%20%5Bb%5DRef%5B%2Fb%5D%207%20%5Bb%5DWill%5B%2Fb%5D%203%20%5Bb%5DCMB%5B%2Fb%5D%20%2B9%20%5Bb%5DBAB%5B%2Fb%5D%204%20%5Bb%5Dmwk%20sansetsukon%5B%2Fb%5D%20%2B9%20(1d10%2B6%2C%2019-20)%0A%5Bb%5Dshuriken%5B%2Fb%5D%20%2B6%20(1d2%2B4%2C%20x2)%0A%5Bb%5D%5B%2Fb%5D%20%20(%2C%20)%0A%5Bb%5Dunarmed%20%5B%2Fb%5D%20%2B8%20(1d8%2B6%2F1d8%2B4%2C%2020)%0A%5Bb%5Dkusarigama%5B%2Fb%5D%20%2B8%20(1d3%2F1d6%20%2B6%2C%2020)%20%5Bb%5DStr%5B%2Fb%5D%2018%20(4)%20%5Bb%5DDex%5B%2Fb%5D%2014%20(2)%20%5Bb%5DCon%5B%2Fb%5D%2014%20(2)%20%5Bb%5DWis%5B%2Fb%5D%2010%20(0)%20%5Bb%5DInt%5B%2Fb%5D%208%20(-1)%20%5Bb%5DCha%5B%2Fb%5D%2016%20(3)%20
Maria Bruneau aasimar - angelkin Monk 4 LG HP 36 / Speed ft Init 2 AC 17 Fort 7 Ref 7 Will 3 CMB +9 BAB 4 mwk sansetsukon +9 (1d10+6, 19-20)
shuriken +6 (1d2+4, x2)
(, )
unarmed +8 (1d8+6/1d8+4, 20)
kusarigama +8 (1d3/1d6 +6, 20) Str 18 (4) Dex 14 (2) Con 14 (2) Wis 10 (0) Int 8 (-1) Cha 16 (3)

Trained Skills

Acrobatics +8
Bluff +8
Diplomacy +8*
Handle Animal +4
Intimidate +15
Knowledge (History) +3
Knowledge (local) +6
Knowledge (nobility) +1
Linguisitics +1
Perception +7
Perform +7
Profession (waitress) +5
Stealth +6

* +2 vs. members of Korvosan underworld, -1 if not well dressed or otherwise covered in muck

Posted (edited)

Seven Days to the Grave - Chappie continued ...

Alchemy Lab - Zellara's House

The young lad immediately brightens as he considers Chappie's offer. Working side-by-side with one of his fabled rescuers doing work that he loves is a dream come true and as he pauses, Chappie can tell that he's waiting for a punchline or something to make his dreams come crashing down.

"As great as your offer is ... " the boy replies cautiously, clearly afraid to push back lest the offer be immediately and irrevocably rescinded, "two weeks of laborI did the math. At your skill ranks, it would take about 5 days to make each alchemical item, so a total of 10 days assuming nothing goes wrong. with nothing to show for it hardly seems fair. I think getting to keep one of the tanglefoot bags out of the batch would be a better deal."

"Plus no stealing supplies, and I get to keep my notes and make as many more notes as I want," he hastily adds.

He thrusts out his hand, offering it to Chappie to shake on the deal. A few pieces of paper flutter to the floor.

Seven Days to the Grave - Nykla continued ...

Carowyn Manor Grounds

Nykla finds the gates both unlocked and unenchanted. If they were ever warded, the wards have long since faded. None of which does anything to settle Nykla's nerves about the situation that she's walking into. Stepping onto the pristine grounds and the manicured lawns, Nykla for the second time today is reminded of levels of wealth she aspires to, yet seems to be unable to keep within her clutches.

Nykla approaches the main building, moving past the servants building and the trimmed garden hedges. Now that she's gotten closer, she can see the garlands and drapery -- while still fresh -- have clearly been hanging unattended for several days, starting to look sun-bleached and wind-swept after prolonged exposure. Above her, the balcony's brass banisters glint in the mid-day sunlight. Before her, the Bloodsworn Mahogany door sits in the aged limestone facade of the manor house. Unlike Vimanda Arkona's home, this door is fully closed. On the ground at her feet, a papier-mache mask lies abandoned.

Game Mastery/Mechanical Stuff

Perception check, please.

Responding to this post.

Posted (edited)

Seven Days to the Grave - Habus

Underground - Wererat Hooligan Lair:  Room 1

"We're done!" the lead wererat spits. "We're done with you topsiders comin' down here and beatin' us down every time somethin' goes wrong up there!" The other wererats join in, hissing in support and agreement. "Last warning before things goes bad." He stand at the edge of the crude channel of sewage that marks the midway point of the room. At his feet, the dire rats' attention is focused solely on the dwarf, mouths agape and slavering, waiting for the order to attack.

Outnumbered six-to-one, and he hasn't even seen Girrigz or whoever else he's got in the back room yet, Habus finds himself rethinking the choices that lead him to this juncture. These next few moments may be the most important moments of his life.

Game Mechanical/Mastery Stuff

Wererat Intimidate vs. Habus: Success. Habus is shaken for 1 round.

Perception check vs. ???: Failure. That growth of mold and muck on the far wall, if you squint your eyes a little, looks just like your uncle Morgrym! What a coincidence!

Knowledge check vs. ???: Failure. Just a normal day playing dominance games with wererats in the sewers. Nothing out of the ordinary here!

Sense Motive #1: Partial success. The female wererat circling around the perimeter towards the mold and mushrooms thinks she's gaining some sort of advantage over you. But, because of your location next to the wall, they can't flank you. Something else is going on.

Sense Motive #2: Success. The wererat who is taking knows who you are, and knows killing you would make Eries upset, which he wants to avoid. However, he's apparently not above clubbing about the head and shoulders until you're unconscious.

Habus sighs and lets his shoulders droop, but shifts slightly to keep the female circling the perimeter in sight. "See, that's the thing, and I had to learn this the hard way meself, we can be as tired of getting pushed down as we want. It don't change a misforged thing if ya try to push back alone. You just end up framed for murder or some such.

In you all's case, surface folk tend to blame rats any time sickness kicks up, even if it's their own damn filth causing the problem. We got some sorta magic plauge or curse going on up there. I'd be shocked if there isn't a bounty on rats already. It's not a far step from that to havin a bounty on were-rats and ratfolk too. Causin trouble now is like picken a fight in a bar while you know the guard is right out front. Better to slip out the back alley and fight another day."

He guestures toward his weapons. "I didn't bring any silver, so you can see I ain't here for any sort of permanent-type discussion. 'sides, Eries'd get mad at me if I tried."

image.png.334a382dae9bfd443dc3afeb3cf02052.png

Statblock

Nykla Haldane
Female LE Tiefling (Hellspawn) Sorcerer, Level 3, Init 2, HP 12/12, Speed 30 Feet
AC 13, Touch 12, Flat-footed 11, CMD 13, Fort 1, Ref 3, Will 4, CMB +1, Base Attack Bonus 1
Masterwork Dagger +2 (1d4, 19-20x2)
Dagger (For Throwing) +3 (1d4, 19-20x2)
(+1 Armor, +2 Dex)
Abilities Str 10, Dex 14, Con 10, Int 14, Wis 13, Cha 17
Condition None

"No magical protections active, mask just lying abandoned on the ground... that's not ominous at all." Nykla needed a person to pump for information. People she could handle. A complete lackthereof, on the other hand, just made things... difficult. Still, without a magical ward, or a guard - she had to assume that the front door wouldn't have any traps and such, right?

Just in case, she pulled out one of the wands in her possession, and cast it on herself.

That done, she decided it was time to put up or shut up, and grabbed at the handle and, assuming she didn't notice anything obvious, she opened the door.

Action: Cast Detect Magic, as often as necessary to keep it active.
Casting Mage Armor from the wand on herself.

HP: 15/15
Spells Per Day: 7/4
Spell Effects: Mage Armor (Current AC raised to 16)

Edited by Kylia Quilor (see edit history)
Name
Perception
1d20+1 6

On 4/19/2024 at 9:41 AM, CharmingSatyr said:

Seven Days to the Grave - Chappie continued ...

Alchemy Lab - Zellara's House

The young lad immediately brightens as he considers Chappie's offer. Working side-by-side with one of his fabled rescuers doing work that he loves is a dream come true and as he pauses, Chappie can tell that he's waiting for a punchline or something to make his dreams come crashing down.

"As great as your offer is ... " the boy replies cautiously, clearly afraid to push back lest the offer be immediately and irrevocably rescinded, "two weeks of laborI did the math. At your skill ranks, it would take about 5 days to make each alchemical item, so a total of 10 days assuming nothing goes wrong. with nothing to show for it hardly seems fair. I think getting to keep one of the tanglefoot bags out of the batch would be a better deal."

"Plus no stealing supplies, and I get to keep my notes and make as many more notes as I want," he hastily adds.

He thrusts out his hand, offering it to Chappie to shake on the deal. A few pieces of paper flutter to the floor.

The young man's exorbitant demands seemed a little less entertaining as time wore on, but Chappie did his best to maintain his smile.

I wouldn't say you'd have nothing to show for it. You get to redeem yourself for attempting to steal from me. Further , you get the opportunity to prove you can be an assistant, which means you'll be an associate instead of an enemy. I think that associate status would be very valuable to you when compared to the other option.

The going rate for an assistant is 1 silver a day. Working 5 days a week for 2 weeks means you'd get 1 gold piece at the end of it if I was paying you. A tanglefoot bag is usually about 50 gold pieces. What you're asking for is 50 times more than the going rate. You apparently think I'm smart enough that you need to copy my notes, but dumb enough that you can con me. Just to be clear, since elves don't always understand human nuances, I find that rather insulting.

Chappie began to have doubts about trusting this elf as an assistant. He let his words sink in for a little bit, and continued. The young elf was obviously looking for a better offer. Chappie didn't blame the boy, but felt like he needed to be clear that he wouldn't tolerate being stolen from. You couldn't be soft on the streets of Korvosa.

So here's my final offer. You can work for me for 1 week, for free, to make up for stealing from me. If you do a good job and prove you can do what I need effectively, I will hire you as an assistant starting at the rate of 1 silver piece a day. If we get to the end of the week and either you don't want to continue working for me or I don't want to hire you, we'll go our separate ways and call the slate clean.

If you don't want that offer, leave the notes you took on the table and go. I'll make sure Shireen and the rest of my friends know what you've done and you won't be welcome back here.

Seven Days to the Grave - Maria continued ...

Father Dhatri

image.jpeg.c71b8e5483067102279b6da73ce3e8f9.jpegFather Dhatri -- Ishani -- holds up his hands in mock surrender. "I promise you, I am not trying to keep you from my sister for nefarious reasons. It's just ... things are messy between us right now. And between you and I ... things are nice. Uncomplicated."

"Well, as uncomplicated as you can get considering that between us we're raising a dozen unruly, former-criminal orphans in a city that feels like it's teetering on the edge of twin precipices of Plague and Riots. Other than that, smooth sailing!"

"But dinner," he quickly shifts topics. "Day after tomorrow, around sunset? Do you like fish? One of my parishioners owns a wonderful VudraniI don't remember if it's been mentioned explicitly, but Father Dhatri is of Vudrani descent. restaurant. Reminds me of my own mother's cooking when I eat there. I think you'll like it."

Seven Days to the Grave - Habus

Underground - Wererat Hooligan Lair:  Room 1

Habus' sagging shoulders and abrupt change in tone leaves the wererats momentarily confused. Brash, angry hotheads, it was easy for them to match Habus' aggressive tone with more aggression but without something fresh to spark their ire, but they falter in the face of genuine uncertainty. They're still on alert, watching the dwarf with wary, cautious eyes. But the sense of immediate danger has been abated.

"Come away from the shriekersHabus knows the name. A magic-infused mushroom that makes a shrill whistle when disturbed. Many subterranean creatures use them as a quick-and-dirty alarm system., kid," central wererat orders the female. Returning his attention to Habus, he repleis in a still angry, but much calmer tone of voice. "We're just looking after our own, chum. We don't want trouble, but we'll take what troubles we're given and return it with interest, if you get my drift. Speak your peace, and we'll make sure Girrigz gets the message. They you can get the hells out of here."

"No need for alla that," a new voice enters the conversation. "He came all this way. Let 'em say it t' my face, like."

Game Mechanical/Mastery Stuff

Give me a sense motive check. And whatever other social shenanigans you're going to perform.

Habus scratches his head, a bit uncertain. "I shoulda brought a talker with me. All I know how to do is look scary and talk straight." He rests the haft of his longaxe on the ground and leans on it like a staff. "It's like this, people... well, people are predictable. There's a plague, they gonna blame the rats. You know it, I know it. Hell, if the mob took a minute to think, they'd know it. That blame will get passed to anyone seen as rat-like, so wererats, ratfolk, sorry ysoki, and that one weasley looking merchant who they think mighta got the better of them that one time. It ain't smart, but it's the way it is. We all know it's only a matter of time before some big ass mob comes down here looking to 'burn those plauge-spreading vermin' or something. Ya got two choices, fight or don't be here when they come, right? Sounds like you lot are fixen to fight. And I understand. I'd want to fight too. You could probably take a good 20-30 of em... maybe a bit less if they brought some guards along or sumpin. Problem is, they gonna come by the hundreds. You're just gonna kill a couple dozen and then die, leaving a pissed off mob looking for more blood.

I know some of your folk picked not being found. If the mob is pissed about who they lost on top of being a buncha scared sheep about the plauge, they might keep looking until they find the others. Not saying the definitely will, but it's a thing to worry about."

He sighs and looks around at the group. "I guess there is a third option. Help us figure out how to stop the damn plauge. I'm sure y'all've seen a bit more of what's been going on than most surface folk, certainly more than me - I was out of town when it started."

Edited by Inash (see edit history)
Name
sense motive
1d20+3 18

Seven Days to the Grave - Nykla continued ...

Carowyn Manor Grounds

Nykla turns the knob and attempts to open the door, but finds it locked, barring her from entering through the front like a civilized person. Somewhere, she gets the nagging feeling of some kind of narratively poetic irony of being unable to just walk into the Carowyn House, but she's too worried and too frustrated to ponder the subtle symbology when her man is missing.

"Hold!" comes the order from behind her. Nykla feels cold, hard metal pressing into the small of her back as a female voice, intentionally lowered an octave or two orders her to halt. "Who are you? What do you want here?" The questions come fast and nervous. Whoever this person is, they were quick and quiet, and smart enough to stay in Nykla's blind spots, but clearly out of their element.

Responding to this post.

image.png.334a382dae9bfd443dc3afeb3cf02052.png

Statblock

Nykla Haldane
Female LE Tiefling (Hellspawn) Sorcerer, Level 3, Init 2, HP 12/12, Speed 30 Feet
AC 13, Touch 12, Flat-footed 11, CMD 13, Fort 1, Ref 3, Will 4, CMB +1, Base Attack Bonus 1
Masterwork Dagger +2 (1d4, 19-20x2)
Dagger (For Throwing) +3 (1d4, 19-20x2)
(+1 Armor, +2 Dex)
Abilities Str 10, Dex 14, Con 10, Int 14, Wis 13, Cha 17
Condition None

Nykla stiffened, not moving too much, to make sure her would be amusher didn't come up with an excuse to stab her.

"I'm here looking for a friend of mine who, at last report, was here. I even brought an invitation." She held up the invitation Vimanda had given her. "Technically not given to me, but I'm less here to partake of the festivities than to find my friend. Though given the lack of guards at the unlocked door and the discarded mask, I think the party might not really be ongoing anymore."

She put on her best 'be reasonable, dear' tone of voice, adding, "I'm not here to hurt you, or anyone else. Why don't you lower the... spear? Sword? Whatever if is you have digging into my skin before you leave a scar, and we can have a simple chat, face to face."

Action: Diplomacy Check

HP: 15/15
Spells Per Day: 7/4
Spell Effects: Mage Armor (Current AC raised to 16)

Name
Diplomacy
1d20+13 17