Book 2, Part 1b: Seven Days to the Grave

CharmingSatyr

Seven Days to the Grave - Chappie continued ...

Alchemy Lab - Zellara's House

As Chappie makes his threats to the young teen, the boy for a moment looks panic-striken, more like he wants to flee or faint than he wants to be be alone in a stranger's room haggling over wages. It takes a moment, but Chappie quickly understands the source of this reaction -- having spent years as one of "Lamm's Lambs", the boy still associates angry adults with beatings, starvation, mutilation and/or becoming crocodile chow. Before he can act on this insight, he watches as the boy steels his resolve, tamping down on his gut reaction and confronting the adult in question.

"Um, actually, one silver per day is the going rate for unskilled labor. If anyone offers to do this job for less than three silver, they're either a fraud or a criminal. I'll do it for four per day, the notes, continued access to the library, with a satisfaction guarantee. If I can't finish on time, my labor is free. But if I finish early, I get a four-silver bonus." Once again, Iymibryl thrusts out his hand, either not noticing or not caring that another few sheets of paper come fluttering out of his grasp and onto the floor. Try as he might, he cannot fully still the tremor in his outstretched hand.

GM NOTE: Responding to this post.

Posted (edited)

Director's Commentary ... will reveal after Chappie's next actions

Formerly private text

I was going for a very specific feel with this post. Tried to find a balance between snot-nosed smart-alec, and tiny puppy barking at big bad wolfhound.

I'm curious to know how the players react.

GM EDIT: I guess I got my answer.

Edited by CharmingSatyr (see edit history)

Seven Days to the Grave - Habus

Underground - Wererat Hooligan Lair:  Room 1

"No," Girrigz states simply, flatly denying Habus' impassioned plea.

"I'm tired, and I'm done." Habus can

see the subtle nods of agreement from the other wererats in the vicinity. Though not what the dwarf would call a charismatic leader, the wererat's words clearly resonate with the others down here. For a moment, it seems like Girrigz is repeating the words the guard stated earlier, but Habus quickly realizes that the guard was repeating Girrigz.

"I was born in these sewers, not far from here. I was raised in these sewers, splashing about in the muck and the grime, far away from the fresh air and the sunshine and the trade and prosperity and the ... the ... the joy that should be ours by right!" Girrigz pauses for a moment, and murmurs of agreement can be heard from the wererat guards.

"Now they want to come down here? Into Our Homes?!"

"Hell no!"

"So you go, Mr. Dwarf. Go and warn them. Tell them only death and decay await them. Because we're prepared this time. We will be ready. Maybe we can't win. But we can put the fear of the Gods into the hearts of the next generation of murderous lynch mobs. And the generation after that!"

"Yeah!" the wererats cheer on Girrigz' stirring speech. "Hell yeah!"

"They may not want us. They may not like us. But I swear on my dying breath, They Will Fear Us."

"Now get out of here, before I change my mind and make you our first example."

"Fear us! Fear us!" One or two wererats begin chanting, and quickly all the wererats Habus can see and other, distant voices that he cannot, pick up the chant, filling the chamber with the sound of slowly-fermenting revolution. "FEAR US! FEAR US!" The words echo down the dark and distant halls.

Girrigz leans in close, filling the dwarf's nostrils with the sent of sweat, sewage, and wererat musk. He delivers a menacing whisper into Habus' ear, "I think it's time for you to go, little man." The dwarf gets the impression that he won't get a second warning.

The wererat demagogue steps back, arms raised, basking in the chants and adulation of his followers, a glint of madness twinkling in his bloodshot eyes.

GM NOTE: Responding to this post.

Seven Days to the Grave - Nykla continued ...

Carowyn Manor Grounds

There is a long, tense pause after Nykla makes her suggestion. The spellcaster cannot help be aware of the cold steel chilling her delicate flesh at the small of her back. After a long few moments, the tension is eased as the stranger breaks the long silence.

"Alright. I'm taking a few steps back." Nykla can hear her feet shuffling behind her. "No funny business, or you'll regret it. Now ... turn around slowly."

image.png.ac637165db7d2b25da9dcbd54c317228.pngNykla is now face-to-face with the woman who was holding her captive. A strikingly lovely young lady of Varisian descent. She's dressed in what one might generously call her "Sunday best". The young lady was clearly hoping to blend in with a wealthier crowd -- a crowd that at just a single glance, Nykla can tell the girl simply doesn't belong to. In one hand, Nykla can see the weapon that was at her back is some kind of iron pry-bar. In the girl's other hand, she wields a small wand of made from a pale, well-oiled wood. She keeps both weapons aimed defensively at Nykla.

"My brother's inside," she explains. "He was hired to entertain these rich muckity-mucks for this shindig, but hasn't returned home." The girl spills her guts, clearly wanting to trust Nykla and enlist her aid. "I tried getting inside around sunrise, but the Korvosa Guard caught me sneaking onto the property. I tried to get my friend to help but ... he's never around when I need him. I should've known better."

"I brought this pry bar this time," she explains, gushing now that she has an ally in the search for her brother. "I thought maybe a door or window or that balcony upstairs might have some way inside and I " she pauses, a quick, hopeful glance dances across her features, " ... we? we could go search?"

Responding to this post.

Habus stares at Girrigz for a moment, then turns shaking his head sadly. He pauses as he enters the crack leading back out. "The problem with fear.... The problem with fear is that it makes people easy to manipulate. They'll fear you and someone'll use that fear to do worse to what caused it. Careful what you wish for mate. I'll see if I can do anything to keep mobs out, but I ain't holdin my breath on that. You catch any wind 'bout whats up with this plauge, pass word eh?" He leaves and starts the trek back toward the surface.

On 5/8/2024 at 10:59 AM, CharmingSatyr said:

Seven Days to the Grave - Nykla continued ...

Carowyn Manor Grounds

There is a long, tense pause after Nykla makes her suggestion. The spellcaster cannot help be aware of the cold steel chilling her delicate flesh at the small of her back. After a long few moments, the tension is eased as the stranger breaks the long silence.

"Alright. I'm taking a few steps back." Nykla can hear her feet shuffling behind her. "No funny business, or you'll regret it. Now ... turn around slowly."

image.png.ac637165db7d2b25da9dcbd54c317228.pngNykla is now face-to-face with the woman who was holding her captive. A strikingly lovely young lady of Varisian descent. She's dressed in what one might generously call her "Sunday best". The young lady was clearly hoping to blend in with a wealthier crowd -- a crowd that at just a single glance, Nykla can tell the girl simply doesn't belong to. In one hand, Nykla can see the weapon that was at her back is some kind of iron pry-bar. In the girl's other hand, she wields a small wand of made from a pale, well-oiled wood. She keeps both weapons aimed defensively at Nykla.

"My brother's inside," she explains. "He was hired to entertain these rich muckity-mucks for this shindig, but hasn't returned home." The girl spills her guts, clearly wanting to trust Nykla and enlist her aid. "I tried getting inside around sunrise, but the Korvosa Guard caught me sneaking onto the property. I tried to get my friend to help but ... he's never around when I need him. I should've known better."

"I brought this pry bar this time," she explains, gushing now that she has an ally in the search for her brother. "I thought maybe a door or window or that balcony upstairs might have some way inside and I " she pauses, a quick, hopeful glance dances across her features, " ... we? we could go search?"

Responding to this post.

image.png.334a382dae9bfd443dc3afeb3cf02052.png

Statblock

Nykla Haldane
Female LE Tiefling (Hellspawn) Sorcerer, Level 3, Init 2, HP 12/12, Speed 30 Feet
AC 13, Touch 12, Flat-footed 11, CMD 13, Fort 1, Ref 3, Will 4, CMB +1, Base Attack Bonus 1
Masterwork Dagger +2 (1d4, 19-20x2)
Dagger (For Throwing) +3 (1d4, 19-20x2)
(+1 Armor, +2 Dex)
Abilities Str 10, Dex 14, Con 10, Int 14, Wis 13, Cha 17
Condition None

Nykla offers the woman a winning smile. "I think combining our forces might be an excellent choice. You're clearly far better at the lethality than me, and while I'm not normally an invitee to the parties at this place, I do have some familiarity with the names and faces on the party circuit." She considered. "We're inside now, so we just need to figure out where to go from here. The fact that there's no guard, and and this abandoned mask is. not good. But Happy thoughts, no?" Nykla proposed. they were in now, sparing a few glances for the attractive Varisian woman. Perhaps she could mix pleasure (finding Amin) with pleasure (getting to know this attractive young woman). "Searching it is. But unless you have rope and an ability to climb, the balcony isn't an option. If we can find a person, I'm confident I can... convince them to let us in, given the right opportunities, but failing that, trying to force this door or a window seems the best bet. Servants entrance should be preferrable than the front door, I'd asssume. Shall we go see if we can find one?"

Time and place, yes, but still.

"My name is Nykla. What's yours?"

Action: None

HP: 15/15
Spells Per Day: 7/4
Spell Effects: Mage Armor (Current AC raised to 16)

Edited by Kylia Quilor (see edit history)

I already gave my final offer. Chappie answered as he shook his head "no". Just leave the notes and go. And I don't want to see you around my lab again without Maria here. If I do, I will assume you're stealing from me and there will be consequences.

Go.

Chappie waited while the young elf left. He walked behind the elf and watched him to make sure he left. The rogue made a mental note to talk to Maria about Shireen's erroneous assumptions. Speaking of which . . . where is everyone?

He had lost his appetite for crafting for the day. He waited a sufficient amount of time to make sure the boy didn't try to sneak back, then Chappie locked up and went out to both go shopping for the items he wouldn't be making and figure where the heck everyone else was.