To Wide

Tsunami1768

just started messing around with the Baldr settings and 1st thing I have to say is that its to wide. I do not feel like I am reading from or writing on a scroll here. 

second thing ive notice is when using the indent option it only effects the left side of the screen.

This looks extremely weird especially when combining it with the center text option 

Edited by Tsunami1768 (see edit history)

@Tsunami1768 the new site adapts to the screen size of the user and displays accordingly. I have a 1920px wide display so I set the browser to use 1/3 my screen and it works well.

The site uses html as its underlying code so indent is going to be left side unless you go into the source of the post to change it. Can't say I have ever used indent with a center justification. If you want an indent on both sides I would suggest using the margin style tag in the source.

It will take a little experimenting on your part to find what you like. I know it did for me.

1 minute ago, bwatford said:

@Tsunami1768

The site uses html as its underlying code so indent is going to be left side unless you go into the source of the post to change it. Can't say I have ever used indent with a center justification. If you want an indent on both sides I would suggest using the margin style tag in the source.

It will take a little experimenting on your part to find what you like. I know it did for me.

i will try this, literally only posted like a couple things so far 😁 and am just used to typing out the codes to so might be a rough transition.

5 hours ago, Tsunami1768 said:

a left/right margin option would still be nice though 😁, haven't yet figured out a working source code for it.

I've figured out how to use the table option to satisfy my viewing pleasure but it doesn't read well on the preview option for tablet or phone

To get around the margin, you might want to add the following as a wrapper around your post in source mode:

<div style="margin-left: 5%; margin-right: 5%;">
  <whatever - rest of post goes in here>
</div>

As you can see from the above (quote it and grab the source) I've used margins of 15% for this along with some border and background styling to make it stand out a little better

2 hours ago, Suzuki Stumpy said:

To get around the margin, you might want to add the following as a wrapper around your post in source mode:

<div style="margin-left: 5%; margin-right: 5%;">
  <whatever - rest of post goes in here>
</div>

As you can see from the above (quote it and grab the source) I've used margins of 15% for this along with some border and background styling to make it stand out a little better

sweet that does the trick, Thanks!

5 hours ago, Tsunami1768 said:

My honest opinion, I do not like the auto adaptation based on screen size. Posts appearance gets mangled!

The only time a post gets mangled by the site being flex is when a user creates a table or image, etc and hardcodes it to a pixels size beyond what a phone can handle. Tables should be set to 100% width and no more than two column if you want it to look right on mobile. 

When used properly Baldr makes posting and viewing across all devices easy and simple to do. I to had to learn to avoid complex tables and find other approaches that work other than how we designed on ogmw.

All modern design is done by flexible design now and a lot of the older design is not used anymore.

See my post below for an example of a formatted app that flexes to look correct regardless of screen size or device.

https://test.myth-weavers.com/index.php?/topic/365-bwatfords-fancier-format-examples/&do=findComment&comment=9079

5 hours ago, bwatford said:

The only time a post gets mangled by the site being flex is when a user creates a table or image, etc and hardcodes it to a pixels size beyond what a phone can handle. Tables should be set to 100% width and no more than two column if you want it to look right on mobile. 

When used properly Baldr makes posting and viewing across all devices easy and simple to do. I to had to learn to avoid complex tables and find other approaches that work other than how we designed on ogmw.

All modern design is done by flexible design now and a lot of the older design is not used anymore.

See my post below for an example of a formatted app that flexes to look correct regardless of screen size or device.

https://test.myth-weavers.com/index.php?/topic/365-bwatfords-fancier-format-examples/&do=findComment&comment=9079

This will surely take some getting used to. It's like art, when I design something I like it to resemble what I crafted, lol..

But yes understandable,  I can use the  "view desk top site" option on my phone if needed but I'm sure I can adapt and overcome the challenges about learning more of this web site coding stuff. 

OGMW was and is very is easy for me to DM on/create posts/make edits and whatever else I needed to do via my phone. 

I feel like I have to go take some college courses or get a certificate in some programming course atm, this is not going to be an easy win.

I can come over your house @bwatford and you can teach me the ways! 😁

spacer.png

Edited by Tsunami1768 (see edit history)