Mickey, Mouse (Lightfoot Halfling), Folk Hero, Sorcerer

Mickeyv7.jpg.24f5a54c64ab7d6ae77a06a051a5425f.jpg

Michael Theodore Mouse, a.k.a., Mickey the Sorcerer’s Apprentice

Lightfoot Halfling (Mouse), Sorcerer/6, Chaotic Good

AC 14 (17) | HP 32 | INIT: +4 | Speed: 25’ (climb/swim)
Str 10 (+0) | Dex 18 (+4) | Con 13 (+1) | Int 13 (+1) | Wis 8 (-1) | Cha 17 (+3)

Attacks:

• Dagger +6, 1d4+3, Piercing
  • Sling +6, 1d4+3, Bludgeoning
  • Fire Bolt +6, 2d10, Fire
  • Unarmed Strike +3, 1, Bludgeoning

Background: Folk Hero - Rustic Hospitality

ASI & Feats: Fey Touched, +2 DEX, Inspiring Leader

Race: Mouse (Lightfoot Halfling)
+2 DEX, +1 CHA

Lucky, Brave, Halfling Nimbleness, Naturally Stealthy

Class: Sorcerer
Spellcasting, Sorcerous Origin (Wild Magic), Ability Score Improvement,
Magical Guidance

Subclass: Wild Magic

Wild Magic Surge, Font of Magic, Metamagic, Bend Luck

Vitals:

Name: Mickey | Age: 20 | Height: 3’ | Weight: 40 lbs. | Sex: Male

| Hair: Black | Eyes: Black | Skin: White

Race: Lightfoot Halfling (Mouse) | Class: Sorcerer | Subclass: Wild Magic | Background: Folk Hero

Background Characteristics:

Defining Event: “Seven with one blow!” I stood alone against a terrible monster.

Personality: “Come on, I’ll be right beside you because we’re friends.” If someone is in trouble, I’m always ready to lend a hand.

“Smile, Breathe and Believe in magic.” When I set my mind to something, I follow through no matter what gets in my way.

Ideal: Whoopee! I'll cut him down to my size!" Freedom: Tyrants must not be allowed to oppress the people.

Bond: “A harvest tilled with honest work.” My tools are symbols of my past life and I carry them so that I will never forget my roots.

Flaws: “Uh, you may think you’re so powerful. Well, uh, this is my dream!” Secretly, I believe that things would be better if I were a tyrant lording over the land.

Equipment:
  • Armor -- None
  • Sorcerer Class Gear – Sling, component pouch, explorer’s pack (backpack, bedroll, mess kit, tinderbox, torches x10, rations x10, waterskin, 50’ hempen rope), daggers x2
  • Folk Hero Background – Artisan’s tools (weaver/tailor), shovel, iron pot, common clothes, pouch containing 10gp
  • Purchased Magic ItemsPeriapt of Wound Closure, Ring of Jumping, Communication Stone
  • Additional Purchased Gear – Robes, blanket, pouch, sling bullets
  • Currency -- 87gp, 2sp, 95cp
Spellcasting:

Wild Magic Sorcerous Origin – Spellcasting, Wild Magic Surge, Tides of Chaos, Font of Magic, Metamagic (Heightened Spell, Quickened Spell), Magical Guidance

Known Spells (* indicates Fey Touched bonus spells; Red indicates researched bonus spells) --

Cantrips (5)

1st-Level (4)

2nd-Level (3)

3rd-Level (3)

Fire Bolt

Chaos Bolt

Enhance Ability

Counterspell

Mage Hand

Feather Fall

Misty Step*

Dispel Magic

Minor Illusion

Mage Armor

Vortex Warp

Fireball

Prestidigitation

Shield

Shape Water

Tasha's Hideous Laughter*

Unseen Servant (Broom)

Mickeyv8.jpg.711ddc16ab8621a9a70874fb9902c2dc.jpgBackstory: Mickey was born about 20 years ago in the small kingdom of Happy Valley, a land of talking animals, which is just about halfway between London, England, and Cardiff, Wales. Like his father before him, he became a tailor.

At one point, the people of Happy Valley lived in fear of a giant who came and ate all their food and livestock. Everyone looked for a savior, someone who could slay the monster.

Now Mickey one day excitedly announced to some passers-by that he had killed, "… seven [flies] with one blow." Townspeople, thinking that Mickey was talking about giants, not flies, spread wild rumors about the tailor, so the King summoned Mickey to his castle. Mickey started telling an embroidered story about his accomplishment, but when he realizes he is being sent out to kill a giant, he tried to explain what had actually happened. The King, however, promised him “… six million silver pazoozas… and the hand of the Princess Minnie…” in return if he succeeded at his quest. After being kissed by Minnie, Mickey, who was instantly love-struck, dazedly agreed to the impossible mission.

princessminnie.jpg.a4ca1e45f7730f334d574e76fc075f6b.jpg

After leaving the castle Mickey started to worry as he didn't exactly know how to find the giant, let alone kill one. Then things got serious when the giant showed up nearby, and started eating the local pumpkins, drinking the water, and turning some hay into a cigar. Mickey was almost eaten and smoked, but eventually realized that his sewing skills proved to be useful in outsmarting and capturing the giant. With the giant vanquished the peasantry decided to use the giant as an operating system for a fairground, where Mickey and Princess Minnie share a kiss. The King hastily announced their wedding date for four years in the future and that the pazoozas would be held in escrow in the royal vault as a dowry.

Now, while waiting for his upcoming wedding day to the princess, Mickey moved in with his friends Goofy and Donald to help them out on their farm. Also at this time, the aging King sent his daughter Minnie away to Princess Academy to better prepare her for succeeding him when he finally steps down from his throne.

Mickeyv9.jpg.9f1d18ea02702feb01bb63c917d19dbf.jpgThen the jovial and prosperous land of Happy Valley, which normally was kept this way by a singing golden harp, was suddenly plagued by a severe drought and fell into turmoil and depression after the enchanted instrument was stolen from the King’s castle one night by a mysterious figure.

Weeks passed as most of the wealthy and the powerful moved away from the tiny kingdom. Only peasants remained as they struggled to put food on their tables including Mickey, Donald, and Goofy. On one particularly bad night, in desperation, Mickey decided to sell their only milk cow for money to buy food. He came back and told Goofy and Donald that he had sold the cow in exchange for a container of beans that were said to be magical. Thinking that Mickey had been conned, an angry Donald threw the box of beans down into a hole in the floor. However, it turned out that the beans were truly magical as later that night, a gigantic beanstalk grew, taking the house and its three occupants with it.

The next morning, Mickey, Donald, and Goofy found themselves at the top of the beanstalk and in a magical kingdom of enormous scope, one where they appeared to be tiny compared to their gigantic surroundings. They eventually made their way to a huge castle, where they helped themselves to a sumptuous feast. As they stuffed their faces, they eventually stumbled upon the harp locked away inside a jewelry box the size of a large packing crate. She explained that she was kidnapped by a "wicked" giant with the powers of flight, invisibility, and shapeshifting.

williev1.jpg.b1789ae013e374de121a235a21d626f8.jpgThen the colossus entered the immense dining hall and sat down at the huge table. As the giant prepared to eat lunch, he caught sight of Mickey hiding in his sandwich after Mickey sneezes when the behemoth poured some pepper onto the sandwich. The tiny adventurer then tried to trick the monster into becoming a house fly. However, before the leviathan did so, he saw Mickey, Donald, and Goofy preparing to use a flyswatter on him. Angered, the giant captured Donald and Goofy and locked them in the harp's chest. Meanwhile, the heroic rodent managed to stay free.

Mickey was at a loss at first, but with the help of the musical harp, who began singing the giant to sleep, the brave little tailor freed his comrades, and they made a break for it with the harp. However, the giant then awakened and spotted them, giving chase all the way back to the beanstalk. Mickey stalled him long enough for Donald and Goofy to reach the bottom as they begin to saw down the beanstalk. Mickey then arrives just in time to help his friends finish the job, and the giant, who was climbing down, falls to his supposed death. Once the trio returned the harp to the castle, the drought finally passed and Happy Valley was able to live up to its name.

kingv2.jpg.deebb967ab86a82d26bcc48d7d2d3cfd.jpgAfter getting his friends’ farm up and running, Mickey decided to pursue a formal education while Minnie was still away at the Princess Academy, but this would take money. Money, he didn’t have. Although impressed by his future son-in-law’s latest exploit, the King was unwilling to move the wedding date up so that our hero could access his six million pazoozas. However, Mickey was able to negotiate a small loan to become an apprentice to the mysterious Yensid, the local sorcerer.  

It was hard work, at first, but Mickey was used to hard work. No, it was just the roundabout way that the magician used to teach his lessons. In fact, the spellcaster had no lesson plan. At least, not in the traditional sense. Yensid just had him perform chores. Endless chores. Meaningless chores – like dusting shelves, sweeping the rugs, mopping floors, and carrying buckets of water -- lots of buckets of water from the well into an indoor cistern. Repeatedly.

Yesnidv3.jpg.8cd6349fd31bfef8064ce1b53416d970.jpgOh, to be sure, Mickey had plenty of opportunities to observe his master practicing his magicks in his arcane workshop. Impressive though these experiments were, the sorcerer never explained anything to him. All that Mickey could do was just watch and try to learn the delicate gestures, the magical ingredients, and the obscure words that Yensid used to achieve each wonderful effect. But at the end of the day, the young apprentice was just so exhausted, he never had the energy to practice what he had learned each day.

Then Mickey got an idea. A brilliant idea! The apprentice figured out a way to get some time to himself – so he could practice the mystical arts, of course.

Mickeyv4.jpg.50b19b0fe876156372838f83f8ec4710.jpgOn the next night, after Yensid finished performing his mystical rituals and went to bed, his eager, young apprentice sneaked into his bedchamber and took the magician’s hat – a tall, conical felt piece of headwear with astrological symbols embroidered on it. Donning the magical hat, he was able to animate and control a broom to start collecting water from the well.

As the enchanted sweeper mindlessly obeyed his commands, Mickey dozed off in the sorcerer’s high-backed chair, dreaming of all the magic that he would eventually learn in this fashion while his master slept. When he groggily woke up, he discovered that the broom had done its job too well. The stone floor was ankle-deep in water as the broom continued to fill the overflowing cistern. Mickey desperately tried to stop the broom, but eventually had to destroy it with an axe.

Mickeyv02.jpg.a19306d49ff33293327cbd73557a418e.jpgHowever, the mass of splinters morphed into an army of full-sized brooms and resumed their single-minded mission, bringing in so much water that they threatened to drown the entire tower as well as its occupants. Luckily Yensid came into the chamber to find his hat. Sensing immediately what had happened, he imperiously conjured away the waters, commanded the brooms to stop, and then merged all of them into one lifeless brush.

After this incident, the magician started to teach the techniques of magic in earnest as well as its theories to an appreciative Mickey, who excitedly absorbed everything that he could from the aged sorcerer. Time passed and the apprentice blossomed into a talented disciple under Yensid’s inspired tutelage, but even sorcerers don’t last forever. Eventually they die like all other mortals.

merlinv1.jpg.f8e7c8f09ddefbb9e94c081a3d6b4548.jpgWhen his master had passed on, Mickey obeyed Yensid’s final instructions. He took the sorcerer’s cap and some enchanted jewelry, then packed his meager belongings into a knapsack. Then he set fire to the tower to make sure that no one else could ever use any of his magical possessions for evil purposes. Then with letters of introduction and recommendation in Yensid’s own handwriting, Mickey is currently making his way to the Mage Towers to study under the great Merlin, adviser to Arthur, the High King.

Of course, Mickey might take a few wrong turns along the way!

Edited by artsmythe (see edit history)

Okay. I think that's as far as I'm going to go with this. I am submitting my application as is. @SMARTAgentKC, please review at your leisure.

Naturally anything that has to be changed, I will happily change. If there are any recommendations or suggestions, I will certainly consider them. I would really like this character to be a member of the Kingdom Squad.

A few more points, please --

• His current equipment consists of the items in the Sorcerer's Equipment List as well as the Folk Hero's. His remaining gear -- robes, blanket, sling bullets, and pouch -- I have purchased with his initial funds as a Folk Hero.
  • Out of the bonus 750gp that you generously provided each of us, I have purchased a Periapt of Wound Closure (500gp) and a Ring of Jumping (250gp). While I would dearly love to get Mickey the +1 Cloak of Protection, instead, I just don't think Mickey would sell any of his other gear to garner the 50gp necessary to make the purchase. They would just be too special and meaningful for him since he's a Folk Hero, and a tailor to boot. However, since he would probably have the lowest AC in the party -- and he would probably have a target imprinted on his robes, figuratively speaking -- I'm hoping that the periapt would be of some help in keeping him alive. As for the ring, well, gosh! It just seems very Mickey-like for him to be able to jump around.
  • I have applied Mickey's first ASI to DEX as this would help increase his AC. Also, Mickey is kind of a nimble, little character. Now, correct me if I'm wrong here, but I think you have also granted each of us two bonus feats on top of the ASI. If that is correct, then I have selected Inspiring Leader and Fey Touched. With the latter, I have added the Tasha's Hideous Laughter and Misty Step spells. Mickey would only be able to use one or the other between long rests. I have also added +1 to his CHA ability score.
  • While as a Sorcerer, Mickey currently has no access to Find Familiar, I just like the idea of him having a sidekick like so many other Disney characters of this century. Now I'm not talking about having Pluto, but, um... how about an animated broom? I realize that Animate Objects is a 5th-level spell -- well beyond Mickey's current sorcery level, but is is possible to reinterpret Unseen Servant as an animated broom that he can conjure up as desired? If this is unacceptable, I will change this to another 1st-level spell. Chaos Bolt or Sleep might be acceptable alternatives.

When you add spells via feats like Fey Touched, Shadow Touched, Strixhaven Initiate, Artificer Initiate and others like them (minus Magic Initiate) you can also cast those learned spells using any spell slots you have so if you have so as long as you have the spell slots you can use those spells without having to choose or only have one use per long rest. The only reason Magic Initiate isn't like this is because of how it is worded (and this was before the others showed up) but it was ruled that if you took magic initiate with a class you had spellcasting in, you could simply just use the level one spell learned as you would as if it was normally gained by your class.

I will accept the fluffing of Unseen Servant as an animated broom. However as I told someone else applying there will be a thing called Spell Research available soon that will allow people to learn spells in exchange for money, it has other rules and such to make it not as simple as pay gold learn magic but that can be explained later. (You can also glance at a variation under table 2's Store Topic as I have unlocked it for them) if you're keen on getting Find Familiar I recommend setting aside 90 to 150gp as that will be the overall cost.

Consider this application reviewed by the GM.

Thank you for the quick review. Fingers, toes and eyes are crossed hoping that Mickey will be selected. Which raises another question — how many players are you accepting into the Kingdom Squad? I believe that Kronk and Princess Merida are your current cast.

I’d also like to thank you for your ruling on extra spells due to feats. That makes things ever so much easier.

At this time, I am quite satisfied with you allowing Mickey an enchanted broom similar to the one in “The Sorcerer’s Apprentice” sequence in FANTASIA. While I don’t envision him needing to learn the Find Familiar spell, I suppose I should keep myself open to the opportunity that you offer.

Finally there’s still the question of continuity in your Disney Verse and how much Sorcerer Mickey knows vs. how much the character Mickey knows. I will try to limit Sorcerer Mickey’s memories to the backstory that I presented to you. Whatever further limitations you wish to impose, I will gladly accept.

Thank you again. Have a pleasant weekend.

Posted (edited)

I’m assuming that Sorcerer Mickey wouldn’t be too famous. As a “giant-hunter”, he might be a “big” deal in Happy Valley (get it?), but outside that rinky-dink kingdom, he’s probably just another adventurer. Anyway, Sorcerer Mickey would be rather humble about it all. He’s just your “average” anthropomorphic mouse.

When I first started the game I had six players for each team but ghosting slowly reduced it down. I'm thinking at least two maybe three to make a solid squad. If I get enough completed apps, I may create a second kingdom squad

What you wrote Sorcerer Mickey's backstory fits for one from the kingdoms so that will be his current memories

that's fine, until an adventure starts you have the option to switch around your spells. Chaos Bolt kind of an interesting one and its elemental flexibility and chance to jump to another opponent is a neat perk I'm more of a chromatic orb guy myself as I like to choose my elemental power attacks

I would normally agree with you, but the material cost is out of my budget range at this time. Besides, it is a spell (more-or-less) unique to the sorcerer class, and... it's random side effects seem more in keeping with Wild Magic.

In any event, thank you for allowing me to make the change. I will edit my application and character sheet accordingly.

Hope all is quiet at work this weekend.

Posted (edited)

Mickey the Sorcerer's Apprentice -- Mouse (Lightfoot Halfling) Folk Hero SorcererMickeyv7.jpg.1716c1797c70f8627088f601a5486646.jpg

AC: 14 (17) | HP: 32/32 | Init: +4 | Speed: 25' | Jump: 30'| Prof. Bonus: +3 | Passive Perception: 9 | Passive Insight: 9 | Passive Investigation: 11 | STR: 10 (0) | DEX: 16 (+4) | CON: 13 (+1) | INT: 13 (+1) | WIS: 8 (-1) | CHA: 17 (+3) | Subclass: Wild Magic | Sorcery Points: 7 | Spellcasting Ability: CHA | Spell Save DC: 14 | Spell Attack Bonus: +6
Buffs: None | Debuffs: None | Advantages: Fear | Inspiration: 0 | Exhaustion: 0 |

STANDARD TEXT: Post goes here.

DIALOGUE: "Speech"

THOUGHTS: in color and italics

Mechanics

Main Hand: Empty
Off Hand: Empty

Action: Mickey's action goes here.
Bonus Action: Mickey's bonus action goes here.
Move: Mickey's movement goes here.
Manipulate: Mickey's one free object interaction goes here.