Group A Book 2 Spoken on the Song Wind, Chapter 1. The Learned One Returns.

LDDragon

Journal of Teacher Janatimo

Even before I set down my satchel after returning from my travels, Takulu Ot spoke breathlessly about a group of students who fought off insects, confronted an expelled pupil we all thought to be dead, and defeated griffons that had decided to feast upon mysterious anadi arrivals.

My role leading the Uzunjati and my love for a good story demanded that I ask Takulu about these students. He supplied me more information over dinner, and my initial interest turned to fascination. I have decided that I shall speak to them and, if they are even partially as interesting as Takulu makes them out to be, offer my hand to help guide their efforts.

The stories I hear about them fascinate me, but what I want to them to know—and deeply understand—is that stories of the past build the events of today. What brought the griffons to the school? Where did they come from? Griffons don’t normally prey on anadis; why did they attack those poor students? For that matter, what attracted the anadi students here in the first place? We’ve welcomed them to the school, but it seems wise to understand their motivations and their goals.

Getting the students to think about the answers to these questions, to pose their own theories, and then to investigate the truth of the situation, is far more important to their education than learning spells or rituals. Let’s get them to see what lies beneath, and we can see where that leads together.

Janatimo

Janatimo is one of the five learned ones, scholars who lead each of the Magaambya’s branches separately. Heroes who have Uzunjati as their primary branch hear about his return first; if there aren’t any, Noxolo and Okoro Obiyo eventually alert everyone in the Spire Dormitory. Janatimo is kind, insightful, and entertaining, three important qualities that make any teacher popular.

Janatimo has heard about the heroes’ victories and wants to speak with them himself. He thinks that, with proper guidance, the heroes can be part of the next generation of teachers and representatives that the Magaambya needs. He sends each hero a note to meet him at his office in an unassuming building on the northeast edge of the canal-ringed campus. It’s easy for the heroes to ask around to learn who Janatimo is, but a hero who succeeds at a DC 15 Society or Magaambya Lore check, or a DC 15 Diplomacy check to Gather Information, learns that Janatimo has an eye for talent, and those he takes under his wing tend to become prominent figures in their own right.

The furnishings in Teacher Janatimo’s office are simple, but the desks and shelves contain many objects and curios, each of which seems as though it has an interesting story to tell. In the center of all these items, sits Janatimo himself, Learned One and head of the Uzunjati. He stands from his desk and extends his arms wide in greeting.

“Ah, thank you for taking the time to visit with me. Please, have a seat. I am sure there are some interesting tales we can share.”

Janatimo conversation

Janatimo wants to talk to the heroes about their exploits at the Magaambya thus far. He prompts them for specifics and interesting moments, then brings focus to the new anadis’ arrival and the griffon attack. He asks them to explain what happened in detail. If the heroes mention Teacher Ot’s aid, Janatimo nods with a smile and observes that the heroes remained in good hands with him.

Edited by LDDragon (see edit history)

%5Btable%3D2%2C1%5D%20%5Br%3D1%2C1%5D%5BIMG2%3D150%5Dhttps%3A%2F%2Fog.myth-weavers.com%2Fattachment.php%3Fattachmentid%3D101183%26d%3D1629905609%5B%2FIMG2%5D%0A%5Br%3D2%2C1%5D%5Bfieldset%3DMac%20T%C3%ADre%5D%5BB%5D%5BURL%3D%22https%3A%2F%2Fwww.myth-weavers.com%2Fsheet.html%23id%3D2505803%22%5DMac%20T%C3%ADre%5B%2FURL%5D%5B%2FB%5D%20%0A%5Bb%5DHP%3A%5B%2Fb%5D48%2F48%20-%5Bb%5D%20AC%3A%20%5B%2Fb%5D21%0A%5Bb%5DConditions%3A%5B%2Fb%5D%0A%5Bb%5DHero%20Points%3A%203%5B%2Fb%5D%20%20%20%0A%5Bb%5DSpells%20prepared%3A%5B%2Fb%5D%20Timber%2C%20Stabilise%0A%5B%2Ffieldset%5D%5B%2Ftable%5D%0A
attachment.php?attachmentid=101183&d=1629905609
Mac Tíre
Mac Tíre
HP:48/48 - AC: 21
Conditions:
Hero Points: 3
Spells prepared: Timber, Stabilise

When Mac received the invitation to meet Teacher Janatimo, his first reaction was to ask "Teacher Janatimo? Who is that?"

Of course, once he learned that the man is kinda a big deal, Mac gets a bit anxious to meet the man. After all, he is well aware that he isn't exactly a stellar student (even though his Tempest Sun Mages teachers praise him for fighting prowess), and so the man showing interest in him is kinda... ominous.

Still, given that that a) is not an invitation one refuses and b) one extended to his whole cohort, Mac just has to man up and do this.

Making sure to be suitably dressed and wearing his string with all the little tokens he has collected so far, he joins the others on the way to Janatimo's office.

"So I hear, Teacher Janatimo is with the Uzunjati. So Sweet Tooth? Banana? You happen to, like, have heard of the guy before? "

Of course, once inside Janatimo's office, Mac is actually a bit too nervous to talk and happily lets his fellow students go first, so he can gather his wits a bit.

Edited by Lycar (see edit history)
Name
Asking about Teacher Janatimo (DC 15)
1d20+6 13

image.png.7b6bd332dafe410397d3099ef34f05c3.png

Sweeth Tooth - Catfolk Thaumaturge 4

HP: 44/44 | AC: 19 | Speed: 25ft | Hero: 2/3 | Spell Slots: 1/1 

Perception: +8 Low Light Vision | Fort: +9 | Ref: +10 | Will: +9 

Statistics | Equipment | Abilities | Skills

Conditions :

Sweet Tooth walked alongside Mac, shrugging to his question.

"I am only a new initiate when it comes to the Uzunjati. Their tales are many, fascinating but the study of them is done differently than how I would have done it myself. So I have been slowly learning. As for Teacher Janatimo, I have not met him before. Why would he meet with a new kitten like myself. My eyes are only begun to open. But I have heard some tales of him.."

Use Diverse Lore to use Esoteric Lore to remember what she knows about the teacher

When they arrived and spoke with the teacher, Sweet Tooth was her usual forward self. If she felt any reservation or awe, she certainly didn't show it. She told the tale of what happened in the tunnels, about the insects, the murdered students and the defeat of the Stone Ghost. When questions moved to the griffon attack she shrugged. She had no idea what would drive the griffons to attack. They were much happier hunting lone adventurers or seperating a horse from a herd. Attacking a heavily populated location was not normal behaviour. Perhaps it had been a feint to let someone do something else without interference?

Name
Esoteric Lore
1d20+10 20

Banana simply shrugs.

"I've been busy with coursework for the Cascade Bearers. I have to admit, I didn't do particularly well on my last course - I passed my exams by the width of a hair. And then I had to clean up in I'nee Koride's office after Trouble managed to fill one of the drawers in her desk with stinkhorn mushrooms."

Meeting with Janatimo, he makes sure to keep Trouble within view at all times.

"One of my greatest concerns is that this psychic signal seems to not merely work on insects and gremlins. Insects, we have plenty of experts like I'nee Koride and Anchor Root to either deal with them or ward them off. Gremlins? We know the rituals to ward places. But if it's working on bigger, more dangerous animals? And worse, sentient beings like anadi?"

%5Btable%3D2%2C1%5D%20%5Br%3D1%2C1%5D%5BIMG2%3D150%5Dhttps%3A%2F%2Fog.myth-weavers.com%2Fattachment.php%3Fattachmentid%3D101183%26d%3D1629905609%5B%2FIMG2%5D%0A%5Br%3D2%2C1%5D%5Bfieldset%3DMac%20T%C3%ADre%5D%5BB%5D%5BURL%3D%22https%3A%2F%2Fwww.myth-weavers.com%2Fsheet.html%23id%3D2505803%22%5DMac%20T%C3%ADre%5B%2FURL%5D%5B%2FB%5D%20%0A%5Bb%5DHP%3A%5B%2Fb%5D48%2F48%20-%5Bb%5D%20AC%3A%20%5B%2Fb%5D21%0A%5Bb%5DConditions%3A%5B%2Fb%5D%0A%5Bb%5DHero%20Points%3A%203%5B%2Fb%5D%20%20%20%0A%5Bb%5DSpells%20prepared%3A%5B%2Fb%5D%20Timber%2C%20Stabilise%0A%5B%2Ffieldset%5D%5B%2Ftable%5D
Mac Tíre
Mac Tíre
Conditions:

After both Sweet Tooth and Banana said their part, Mac decides to speak up himself.

"Honestly? I think, the most important part was realising that people aren't freaking out about me being, well, a Beastkin. Guess what with the Anadi people being a thing, a wolf pretending to be human isn't that much of a novelty. Guess it it helps you don't have werewolves over here too..."

"Apart form that, yeah what the others said. Having to find some of our fellow students murdered and... Anyway, I'm just glad that we managed to stop those gryphons from killing the Anadi students, that would have blown chunks! Eerr, I mean, that would have been tragic, tragic waste of life and stuff! Like, no disrespect, I'm just, like, still fighting with the Mwangi language is all...", Mac hastily corrects with a blush.

Asked about details about the gryphon attack, Mac frowns as he tries to remember.

"Uh... well, we were, like, assembled on that place and stuff, and Teacher Ot was filling us in on what the Teachers managed to figure out about the whole tunnel business, and then we got news three Anadi students had shown up, 'cause they, like, 'felt compelled' to come here, and that was, like, totally curious because of all the insects that had bugged the tunnels. So anyway, the three show up, and before we can even say greetings for real, those three gryphons show up, hungry for Anadi flesh. Made a beeline straight for them. So I just, like, got my weapon out and tried to head them off. But I couldn't really get to them, and when one of them tried to bite off my head, Teacher Ot totally shoved me aside and took the hit! I mean, I was trying to protect him and everyone, and he just goes and takes the hit for me! Did manage to deflect the gryphon's beak like a pro though. Just got a deep scratch instead of a nasty wound.

And then we just used whatever we had, arrows, spells, everything to take down those gryphons and save them Anadi dudes. Tried to tackle one, but just ate dirt. Oops. But yeah, Banana here totally kiled one with his staff, Omolara stuck them full of arrows, and Sorena used her skill in metal-bending to both attack and defend everybody. Man, I wish I was half as good with plants like she's with her iron..."

Sorena Ortho - Traitor to Cheliaximage.png.73e99a978c4b7df994947632c26cbd7a.png

checked-shield.svg AC: 19 | health-normal.svg HP: 56/56 | bicep, biceps, fitness, muscle, power, strength, strong Fortitude: +12 | sprint.svg Reflex: +9 | calm, peace, yoga, serene, serenity, mind, meditate, meditation, peaceful Will: +8 | awareness.svg Perception: +6

account, add, follow, new, plus, profile, user Conditions:

It had taken her months of hard work and diligent study, but Sorena had finally expanded her magical abilities beyond her natural talents of ferromancy and pyromancy. She'd been exuberant in her celebrations, or at least what qualified as exuberant for her, with several nights of heavy drinking after she'd successfully managed to transmute herself into a Cat. Not a cat of fire or metal either, but of real flesh and blood. She'd sought out Mac many times as she'd been learning the spell, evidently struggling to understand that his natural abilities were not the same as the magic she was trying to learn. It appeared that she was more jealous than frightened of the revelation that he was Beastkin, if she even knew what that meant. She always reacted fiercely to the idea that she couldn't do something, as far as magic was concerned, stubbornly trying again and again. It did not help that she was not the best student, and generally learned slower than her peers in her classes. She could learn though, and to her? That was all that mattered. If he'd bothered to explain to her why his transformation was more than spellcraft, he'd have seen considerable tension go out of her shoulders at the news.

When she'd finally successfully cast her own transmutation, she'd invited them all out for a few drinks to celebrate. She'd not been a rambunctious drunk, she'd neither damaged property or picked fights, though she'd revealed on several occasions her complete and utter lack of singing ability. Worse, her repertoire consisted mainly of dirges and war songs, which did not match the mood of her celebrations at all. Still, her pride had shown fiercely, delighted as she was with her burgeoning talents.

Teacher Janatimo’s summons had been another secret source of delight for the awkward Chelish Mage, and she'd held her masked head high with pride as she'd entered his office with the others. She'd nodded at each of the others as they entered as well, still unsure how to comport herself around them, especially Banana. The Gnoll had not attacked her again since their first meeting, but she still trod on eggshells around him as if he might burst into flame at any moment.

"These Anadi, I've been thinking. Uduak's summoning called insects to him. Is that..."

She gestured vaguely, not wanting to say what thoughts had struck her.

"... I know they are Spiderkin and not insects, but...."

Likely they'd all pieced it together already, and she was behind on the uptake.

Mechanics

Main Hand: Empty
Off Hand: Empty
Conditions:

Action 1:

Action 2:

Action 3:

ACTIONS
IMPULSES - DC 20, +10 attack
  • Channel Elements spacer.png raise aura, can combine with 1 action stance or 1 action elemental blast
  • Base Kinesis spacer.png 30' light bulk, generate, move or suppress
  • Elemental Blasts spacer.png or spacer.png 30' slashing or piercing d8, 60' fire d6
  • Flying Flame spacer.png 30' line of 2d6 fire damage. Basic Reflex
  • Weapon Infusion image.png.4807a787a4171fe706d255ca10a57a7f.png shape blasts into a weapon, add a trait
  • Metal Carapace spacer.png raise AC to 19
  • Thermal NimbusFire Impulse Kineticist Primal Stance

You direct waves of warmth into or out of your kinetic gate to drastically shift the temperature around you. Choose cold or fire. You and allies in your kinetic aura gain resistance equal to your level to damage of that type. Any creature that starts its turn in your kinetic aura or moves into your aura during its turn takes damage equal to half your level of the chosen type. Elemental resistance from a gate junction is cumulative with resistance from Thermal Nimbus.
    spacer.png stance to deal 2 fire to all within 10', allies gain fire resistance 2
Edited by TheRaconteur (see edit history)

52257768655_92d032d51b_h.jpg
Omolara

Ancestry: Human | Heritage: Half-elf | Class: Ranger | Background: Sponsored By A Stranger

Rank: Attendant | Primary branch: Rain-Scribe (lvl 4) | Secondary branch: Uzunjati (lvl 1)

HP: 56/56 | Hero Points: 2 | Application | Character sheet
Cantrips (2): root reading, stabilize | Spells (1): weaken earth
Focus Points: 2/2 | Focus Spells: animal feature, gravity weapon

Condition(s):

For the most part Omalara was content to let her cohort spin their tale, occasionally interjecting when she deemed a particular point needed clarification. Sorena's question, however, raised a disquieting notion she herself had been stewing over.

"The strange attraction affects centipedes and they aren't insects either. That it would affect arachnids thus seems likely. That it might even compel intelligent arachnids is worrying."

Posted (edited)

Sweet Tooth and Mac knowledge of Teacher Janatimo

Both know that

Janatimo occupies a unique position in the Magaambya Academy as the faculty leader of the Uzunjati. He is a male half-elf of Mwangi ethnicity of an indeterminate age, appearing youthful due to his elven heritage.

His desire to expand the breadth and scope of Magaambya's libraries had sent him far beyond the borders of the Mwangi Expanse to the shores of Avistan where he had carefully observed the unfolding stories of many diverse and notable individuals.

Although little is known of Janatimo himself, the storyteller is driven intensely by the value he sees in tales of every manner, seeing it as the lifeblood of the world. To broaden the horizons of Magaambya's own archives, he has begun sending the Uzunjati to distant locations in Avistan such as the Sarkoris Scar and New Thassilon, which have been sites of significant magical activity that rivals that of what had been seen in Old Mage Jatembe's time. In some of these places of interest, he has begun utilizing the gathered magical knowledge of the Uzunjati for humanitarian causes, such as restoring the Gravelands from the ravages caused by the Whispering Tyrant. Janatimo especially observes specific people and places that have caught his interest.

In addition, Sweet Tooth also knows

Kalabrynne Iomedar and her child, Clarethe

Janatimo sympathizes greatly with the two Knights of Lastwall, and has prioritized the use of his people's knowledge towards the revitalization of the lands now known as the Gravelands. His researchers believe that the source of corruption in the region is mostly propagated by ancient and tainted artifacts, which can be destroyed to restore the land

Sarkoris Scar

Uzunjati travel through the old site of the Worldwound to aid the survivors in resettling as well as collecting their stories. Janatimo himself finds great interest in the native Sarkorians who are now just returning to the land and hopes to preserve the tales of their ancestors.

Sorshen

The idea of a reformed runelord has piqued Janatimo's interest greatly. He believes that Sorshen can become a great force for good in the restoration of the Gravelands. He hopes to persuade the runelord to share her knowledge of magic with the Magaambya

Sihar

Once Janatimo's protégée before her current occupation as a revolutionary, Sihar had used her time at the Magaambya to learn all she could of the Old Sun Gods in order to arm herself with knowledge to defy Walkena of Mzali. Her rebellion has since endangered several brave Emerald Boughs—students from a sister branch of scholarship to the Uzunjati at the Magaambya—who had long since infiltrated the city to study the Child God's tyrannical domain. It is their combined hope for the Emerald Boughs to be smuggled out of the city, although Janatimo fears that Walkena's retribution may take them before they can be rescued

Janatimo was born from the union of two scholars from the Magaambya, and had been tutored at a young age to become a living archive. His personal curriculum at Magaambya encourages his students to utilize the knowledge found within stories, which is reflected in the Uzunjati's growing number of expeditions.

Teacher Janatimo nods.

"Takulu Ot has informed me of some of what has been going on. Thank you all for giving your accounts. I have some questions for you, please answer them to the best of your ability."

“What drew the griffons to the Magaambya?”

“Why were the griffons so hostile?”

“What brought the anadis here, to the heart of a city with which they appear wholly unfamiliar?”

“What else might the anadis want, besides to study? That is, what might make them feel more like they belong here?” 

OOC

Regardless of the specific theory a hero advances, they can attempt a skill check to impress Janatimo with their reasoning. Use the skill most applicable for the hero’s answer; if the hero suggests an overtly magical effect, Arcana or Occultism might be the most applicable skill, but if a hero suggests a natural connection, Nature or Survival might be better. If the character attempts to Lie their way out of a question, the Deception check uses the same DC but takes a –2 circumstance penalty, as Janatimo has a keen eye for when students haven’t studied. 

“What drew the griffons to the Magaambya?” Griffon behaviors tend to be straightforward, so realistic answers have a DC of 14 and outlandish answers have a DC of 24.

“Why were the griffons so hostile?” Realistic answers have a DC of 18 and outlandish answers have a DC of 20.

“What brought the anadis here, to the heart of a city with which they appear wholly unfamiliar?” Much remains mysterious regarding the arrival of the anadi students, so realistic answers have a DC of 20 and outlandish answers have a DC of 18.

“What else might the anadis want, besides to study? That is, what might make them feel more like they belong here?” Realistic answers have a DC of 18 and outlandish answers have a DC of 20. Janatimo believes it to be friendship, acceptance, or something similar; a hero who responds along these lines earns a bonus Impression Point in addition to any the check result generates.

Janatimo nods with each answer, thanking the heroes for sharing their analysis once the conversation is over.

Digging Deeper: Whether or not the heroes impress Janatimo, he feels they should spend time looking into recent matters at the Magaambya to discover the truth. Janatimo’s hunches tell him that these events are no mere coincidences, and he wants the heroes to confirm these hunches. In the process, he believes the heroes will further develop their knowledge and skills as students.

Janatimo asks the heroes to find out more about what brought the anadi students to the school, and where the griffons came from. He asks them to report to him on these matters over the school year; it doesn’t matter which they tackle first. He emphasizes that coursework is a priority above all else. There’s no rush, so the heroes are free to investigate around their classwork.

Edited by LDDragon (see edit history)

Sorena Ortho - Traitor to Cheliaximage.png.73e99a978c4b7df994947632c26cbd7a.png

checked-shield.svg AC: 19 | health-normal.svg HP: 56/56 | bicep, biceps, fitness, muscle, power, strength, strong Fortitude: +12 | sprint.svg Reflex: +9 | calm, peace, yoga, serene, serenity, mind, meditate, meditation, peaceful Will: +8 | awareness.svg Perception: +6

account, add, follow, new, plus, profile, user Conditions:

Teacher Janatimo

“What else might the anadis want, besides to study? That is, what might make them feel more like they belong here?”

Sorena was terrified, more afraid than she had been at any time save her execution. Why did the teacher's questions evoke such horror within her? She had been buried alive by the Hellknights, trapped in the Hellplate she had stolen under heavy rocks. They had soaked the stones through with oil until it was pouring into her face, into her mouth and eyes. She had sputtered, gasping at the weight of the rocks upon her, and that was when they had called flame. Compared to such an atrocity, how could this kindly teacher's questions evoke such fear in her.

She tried to steady herself, to find her words. She was not an arachnophobe, she had no natural fear of the Spider-kin. That was not made her quake. She wanted so badly to prove herself to this Half-Elf, and she was so terrified of humiliating herself before her fellow students.

"T-they are Spider-Kin, yes?"

Her bunk at Citadel Enferac had been a lightless room deep within the earth, not at all like the open affairs here at the school shared by many students.

"But Spiders are usually solitary, they live alone. These Anadis... I've never seen them alone. They always move as a group, always stay together. I've never seen Spiders do that. They are different. Maybe we could ask if they would like to move into a larger dorm room. We could string up a few hammocks so that others... so that I can sleep there too."

What better way to show trust than to sleep beside them, alone in the dark surrounded by their fangs? She was already shivering, what was one more source of fear?

Mechanics

Main Hand: Empty
Off Hand: Empty
Conditions:

Action 1:

Action 2:

Action 3:

ACTIONS
IMPULSES - DC 20, +10 attack
  • Channel Elements spacer.png raise aura, can combine with 1 action stance or 1 action elemental blast
  • Base Kinesis spacer.png 30' light bulk, generate, move or suppress
  • Elemental Blasts spacer.png or spacer.png 30' slashing or piercing d8, 60' fire d6
  • Flying Flame spacer.png 30' line of 2d6 fire damage. Basic Reflex
  • Weapon Infusion image.png.4807a787a4171fe706d255ca10a57a7f.png shape blasts into a weapon, add a trait
  • Metal Carapace spacer.png raise AC to 19
  • Thermal Nimbus spacer.png stance to deal 2 fire to all within 10', allies gain fire resistance 2
Edited by TheRaconteur (see edit history)
Name
Survival
1d20+8 12

image.png.7b6bd332dafe410397d3099ef34f05c3.png

Sweeth Tooth - Catfolk Thaumaturge 4

HP: 44/44 | AC: 19 | Speed: 25ft | Hero: 2/3 | Spell Slots: 1/1 

Perception: +8 Low Light Vision | Fort: +9 | Ref: +10 | Will: +9 

Statistics | Equipment | Abilities | Skills

Conditions :

Sweet Tooth stretched slightly and rested as she listened to the teachers questions. She rolled each one in her mind and tried answers. She answered each, teasing out her ideas and trying to impress the half-elf. He knew a lot, and it would be good to learn from him.

“What drew the griffons to the Magaambya?” (Arcana roll)

"They followed the anadis. It was clear during the attack that they wanted to reach them over all else. My guess is some form of geas or compulsion spell."

“Why were the griffons so hostile?” (Arcana roll)

"The geas or compulsion spell. Griffons tend to pick off the slowest of the herd, or attack small groups on open plains or on narrow mountain paths. It took taking one down and hurting the others before they retreated. It was not natural"

“What brought the anadis here, to the heart of a city with which they appear wholly unfamiliar?” (Occult roll)

"The anadis were clearly affected by whatever magic attracted the bugs. They are higher functioning. Smarter, and interested in study and learning. But it was the undescrable desire, the need, to come here that was odd. Who knows what strange power attracts all these many limbed creatures?"

“What else might the anadis want, besides to study? That is, what might make them feel more like they belong here?”  (Esoteric roll)

"The anadis want what we all want. To increase their knowledge and power, to better understand their world and how to shape it. Whether that is for personal gain or some selfless ideal, I have no idea!"

Name
Arcana
1d20+9 1
Arcana
1d20+9 11
Occult (+1 if Anadis are extra planar)
1d20+9 6
Esoteric
1d20+12 3

52257768655_92d032d51b_h.jpg
Omolara

Ancestry: Human | Heritage: Half-elf | Class: Ranger | Background: Sponsored By A Stranger

Rank: Attendant | Primary branch: Rain-Scribe (lvl 4) | Secondary branch: Uzunjati (lvl 1)

HP: 56/56 | Hero Points: 2 | Application | Character sheet
Cantrips (2): root reading, stabilize | Spells (1): weaken earth
Focus Points: 2/2 | Focus Spells: animal feature, gravity weapon

Condition(s):

Omalara frowned as she considered Teacher Janatimo's questions. Surely he was aware they knew far too little about recent events to offer more than a cursory explanation? This must be some manner of test.

"The griffons were clearly pursuing the anadis with the intent of devouring them. They appeared emaciated, perhaps even starved. Which would explain their aggression. Though why they would hunt so close to the city, where so much of the potential prey can fight back, is unclear."

She paused for a moment to collect her thoughts. "The spider-folk said they felt something was calling them here. At the same time, the Magaambya has been overrun by numerous swarms of insects. I find it hard to believe the two are unrelated. For that matter, the insect swarms were unusually hostile which might offer a furhter clue regarding the griffon's behavior."

"As for what the anadis might want," here her brow deeply furrowed, "Perhaps, accomplishment? Some achievement that they can take pride in and earn prestige among their people?"

Name
Question 1 (Nature)
1d20+10 2
Question 2 (Nature)
1d20+10 4
Question 3 (Occult)
1d20+7 5
Question 4 (Society)
1d20+1 19

%5Btable%3D2%2C1%5D%20%5Br%3D1%2C1%5D%5BIMG2%3D150%5Dhttps%3A%2F%2Fog.myth-weavers.com%2Fattachment.php%3Fattachmentid%3D101183%26d%3D1629905609%5B%2FIMG2%5D%0A%5Br%3D2%2C1%5D%5Bfieldset%3DMac%20T%C3%ADre%5D%5BB%5D%5BURL%3D%22https%3A%2F%2Fwww.myth-weavers.com%2Fsheet.html%23id%3D2505803%22%5DMac%20T%C3%ADre%5B%2FURL%5D%5B%2FB%5D%20%0A%5Bb%5DHP%3A%5B%2Fb%5D48%2F48%20-%5Bb%5D%20AC%3A%20%5B%2Fb%5D21%0A%5Bb%5DConditions%3A%5B%2Fb%5D%0A%5Bb%5DHero%20Points%3A%203%5B%2Fb%5D%20%20%20%0A%5Bb%5DSpells%20prepared%3A%5B%2Fb%5D%20Timber%2C%20Stabilise%0A%5B%2Ffieldset%5D%5B%2Ftable%5D
Mac Tíre
Mac Tíre
Conditions:

For the longest time, Mac does not know what to answer Teacher Janatimo. If the teachers can't work out what is going on, how is he supposed to know? Or any of his cohort for that matter. But then, Sorena, Sweet Tooth and Omolara venture their guesses. And eventually, it gives Mac ideas of his own.

"Yeah, I think you are on to something. Gryphons are animals, beasts. The follow their hunger. And to pursue one prey in exclusion to all other... doesn't make sense. So yeah, a magical compulsion would be a possibility. And guys, remember the first time we had a bug problem? Like, when Teacher Ulawa told us to get some bug samples? Since I'm a member of the Leaf Order, I went to check the Leshy Gardens, and bark beetles had been gnawing on the bark plates they’ve been working on. Except that they gnawed patterns into the bark that resembled sommoning or conjuration runes? So yeah, that happened. And I mean, we thought Uduak Basni, the Stone Ghost was behind that? That he summoned the bugs to... avenge himself or whatever? Except that we read his diary, and he wasn't sure why the bugs kept coming himself?"

"Okay, so... Teacher Ot told us that they figured out some, uh, how did he put it... 'pervasive yet persistent psychic call' was attracting the bugs and gremlin and stuff, and that the Anadi, being spider-people basically... I mean, they can talk about that compulsion drawing them in, and so they can help us figure out what gives, and maybe whoever or whatever is messing with us wanted them gone because of that?"

"So... whatever drew the gryphons is probably a sort of magical compulsion too, forcing the beasts to ignore all prey in favour of attacking and devouring the Anadi. Three Anadi, and three gryphons to hunt them down. About as straightforward as it gets. Are there compulsion spells for animals and beasts?"

"And that covers their hostility too: Since the compulsion meant they could not hunt anything else to feed on, they were just plain hungry. Omolara noticed they looked almost emaciated. So yeah, fear of starvation is a pretty damn good motivator for blood thirst I find. Nothing mystical about that: The compulsion to hunt the Anadi in exclusion of all other prey meant they had to make that kill or die."

"So yeah, that makes me wonder about the Anadi and what drew them in. Might be a thing that they happened to wander close enough to be affected by the, uh, 'magical call', and they just followed it. And whatever is making that call didn't want the Anadi to mess up their plans."

As for the last question, Mac has to think a bit longer about that. Then he reluctantly explains "Yeah, so, uhm... you do know I am a Beastkin? And, well... I do not like to, uh, 'show my fur' because I don't want to attract silver arrows and stuff? Because werewolves eat people and I can't really blame people for preferring to be safe rather then dead. So, uh... I can feel with the Anadi wanting to not be seen as big monster spiders what eat people. And their shape-shifting is just, uh... Sorta self-defence? So I guess they wanna see how like, non-spider people live and stuff? I mean, if they really wanna not to be seen as people-eaters, what better way then to figure out how and what might make other people trust them not to be? I mean, Tzeniwe and her kids are, like, totally part of the place, so she can teach them a lot I guess? Or maybe I should talk to them about my own werewolf-lookalike issue...?"

Having stumbled through his thoughts like that, Mac falls quiet again to see if that makes any sense to the others.

Edited by Lycar (see edit history)
Name
Question 1, straightforward Nature/Primal Magic DC 14
1d20+10 14
Question 2, realistic Nature/Beasts DC 18
1d20+10 12
Question 3, realistic Society DC 20
1d20+2 9
Question 4, realistic Society DC 18
1d20+2 14

Stalwart Banana opens his mouth, raising his finger.

Then closes it again.

Then opens it again, raising his eyebrows.

Then closes it again.

Mischief looks up, smirking.

"<Too much time mooning over Anchor Root, not enough time studying, eh, u'nee?>"

Banana just shakes his head, hissing in annoyance.

"Tsaa, I feel like an answer worth my marrow is there, but I just can't get to it...only thing I can think of is if this psychic signal strengthens itself over time with compulsions. Like the beetles carving those runes? Making it stronger?"

Edited by Lex Samreeth (see edit history)
Name
Question 1, straightforward Occult
1d20+9 5
Question 2, Straightforward Jungle
1d20+9 8
Question 3, Straightforward Occult
1d20+9 3
Question 4, straightforward Society
1d20+9 2

Teacher Janatimo inclines his head, his face changing expression as each person speaks in response to not only what they say, but how they are presenting it and the reasoning behind their replies.

"Thank you all for your answers. I can see the spark of potential in all of you, and I believe that if you work hard and dedicate yourselves, you may eventually become the next generation of teachers and representatives that the Magaambya needs.

I would like you to investigate further about what brought the anadi students to the school, and where the griffons came from, then report back to me on these matters over the school year; it doesn’t matter which you tackle first. Of course, your studies are a priority above all else. There’s no rush, so you are free to investigate around your classwork. "

He takes out a majestic wooden crown bears elaborate carvings depicting a king giving of himself to a throng of needy subjects, and places it on the desk. Gesturing to it, he states

"Thank you for taking the time to meet with me. Please take this curio, it may assist you in the investigations."

Crown of the companion

Crown of the Companion
Uncommon, Healing, Invested, Magical, Necromancy, Positive

Level 6; Price 250 gp
Usage worn crown; Bulk L

Stories tell of a forgotten king who once loved his subjects so much he was willing to give his own life energy for them. Whether true or not, this majestic wooden crown bears elaborate carvings depicting that tale. It’s ringed with images of the same kingly figure giving more and more of himself to a throng of needy subjects. While wearing it, you gain a +1 item bonus to Diplomacy checks.

Activate [two-actions] envision, Interact; Frequency once per day; Effect You bow to an ally within 30 feet, creating a magical bond between the two of you. You cast shield other targeting the ally. The link remains even if you move more than 30 feet away from them. At the end of the spell’s duration, your ally recovers 4d8 Hit Points and you recover half of what they recover.

Mac Tíre
Mac Tíre
Conditions:

Speaking with Teacher Janatimo leaves Mac with no more answers then before, still wondering what all this is about. And his talk about the 'spark of potential' he is seeing in his fellow students... If his own progress is any indication, he won't be amounting to too much as a caster. Kinda crummy for someone who is technically a magical being. Welp...

Studying the wooden crown reveals its function eventually. Pondering it for a moment, and looking between his companions, Mac wonders "Perhaps Stalwart Banana should have this one. Imagine him taking this back to his people and showing off what magic can do, if you put your mind on helping people instead of inventing one more spell to blow people up with."

Turning to Sorena, he offers "I like your idea of inviting the Anadi students to live with us. We can show them around and introduce them to the others. And maybe it helps that I am kinda hiding my own true form to better fit in. Well that, and my pelt is just way too warm for this place, heh."