Greetings traveller!

I am an old DnD player (1e, 2e, 3e mostly).   I started back in the THAC0 days when OSR was standard AD&D.   I was also a PbP DM in a 3.5E game for several years.    I haven't played for about a decade until I recently found FoundryVTT.     While the shiny new VTTs are a boon for real-time online game play,  they are primarily designed for better organizing tactical games because of their slick grids and graphical aids. For old fashioned RP, nothing beats PbP in my experience. But, PbP falls apart when there is combat so it is best suited for combat light, RP heavy games.

Over the past few months, I have been looking at wonderful indie games like Symbaroum (Free League Publishing), Masks (Magpie Games), Numenera (Monty Cook Games) and Call of Cthulhu 7E (Chaosium). I may start a game in one of these systems depending on player interest. As a player, I'm open to joining any great combat light, RP heavy game.

If you have suggestions or offers, please do drop a note.
Thanks for reading. See you folks around the board.

Edited by GM Spiral (see edit history)

Welcome to the Weave!

I'm currently trying to put together a cooperative (GM-less) Ironsworn/Vaults and Vows game. Nothing concrete yet, but if it sounds interesting, feel free to check out the game forum (it's in the ads and also linked from my profile).

Welcome! From what you're saying, you may also like the Without Numbers rules sets, if you check them out in my signature. However, I want to say that combat doesn't have to fall apart in PbP. I'm quickly finding that the same tools I use in live, in-person games to keep things from bogging down are very helpful here too:

• Have a map.
  • Tell people when to go.
  • Aim to resolve in three rounds or less.

For me, I typically use a combination of Dungeon Alchemist to quickly throw a map together, and then add grids and tokens over it in Paint.net in different layers, so I can move them quickly. A quick snip and upload to imgur, and it's ready to go!

As far as player turns go, I've found, for me, doing group-based initiative works best with player character actions resolving in order of posting. That way it's one big post for the baddies, and then players can post post post, each knowing what the last did, but without having to wait on anyone else.

Obviously, this is my own experience only, and as ever I still learn :)