Round 4: Elven Conclave of 2044

moossabi

On 3/15/2024 at 4:51 PM, moossabi said:

Stage A: Debate

@Frostwander

All parties are satisfied by the speech, and the magical demonstration receives nods of approval from every judge as they attempt to scribble diagrams of the Sage's runic patterns. The wispy Druid, getting quite a lot of mileage out of his intellectual curiosity for magic, is the first to pose a question: "To what extent can form be adjusted so? It would seem that the composition of your new seat is similar to the object from which it was fashioned, but could one manipulate an object's form at the molecular or atomic level to change the composition entirely?"

Supplementing his mechanical inquiry is a similar inquest from Oskar dei Fiori, leafing through a small dossier as he speaks. "According to our understanding, your region is also home to several other faiths espousing the virtues of minor deities. The Frozen God, Val Bedlam, the moonborn god of the Ul-Ping-Nai-Ophon-" His thin lips seem to curl upwards slightly while speaking of them, though it passes in an instant. "-what is the perspective of the Practica Arcanai? Are they existent beings or wholly the product of unfounded superstition?"

The Usheret sage continued to lounge, as she listened and answered. "Form can be adjusted quite a bit. As you've noted, I have not changed the material in this simple demonstration - this chair is composed of the same material as when it was a podium. Some material changes can also be effected, though that process tends to take greater preparation, and significantly higher expenditure of energy. The process can also be reversed - in most cases, at least. I can easily return the podium to its original shape when we are done, if you would like. In terms of eventual potential ... well, as you saw, geomancy is quite mathematical in its underlying structure. There are changes and manipulations of matter that are theoretically possible which have not yet been solved."

Ange's casual smile becomes more amused as the second question unfolds. "As I mentioned, there are some students of Practica Arcanai who have also embraced other faiths. In the Lyceum's experience this tends to divide focus and inhibit advancement into higher forms, but they are not strictly incompatible.

"Those faiths you mentioned do have, as one might expect, their own testaments and examples of works of their faith that are used as evidence to the existence of their deities. All these examples are the products of the faith of followers, though, and while they may be attributed to a higher being, our position is that the followers themselves are the impetus to these acts. Whether achieved through Arcanai studies or other methods, such as other demonstrations seen here today, we do not dispute these 'miracles' are possible or factual - at least where properly documented.

"Now, as to the specific faiths within Caipe Ushere you inquire about: Val Bedlam's life is well recorded with evidence in many places, though whether a god made flesh or a powerful and caring individual is unproven. Aridyin is only just beginning to be properly explored, and none have yet probed its depths to show any evidence of Ul-Ping-Nai-Ophon, though astronomical data and observable behaviour of it as an object in space have provided clear numbers in regards to its density. The glacier is quite real; proof of an awareness, less so. And do not forget the Voices of Surnam, who believe all living things share a single soul infinitely reincarnated across time. 'I was you in a previous life. I will be your sister in a future life.' Psychomancy is a newer discipline of Practica Arcanai, but has yet to uncover any proofs of the single-soul theory."

Ange pauses a moment to look around the room, gauging the reactions of the assembled. She uncrosses her legs, then crosses them the other way. "The real answer to your question, I suppose - whether Practica Arcanai accepts these as extent beings or unfounded superstition - is: does it matter?"

Posted (edited)

Stage A: The Debate (still abstaining from interfering in the Coedd v Bloodfather cross-examination until JB returns)
Intro wrap-ups

@farothel

"Not at this time, good Priestess." The portly Druid, still seated, eyes the guards with a hint of subdued disapproval as he speaks. "We thank you for your answers; further discourse will wait until the other introductions are complete and we may enter cross-examinationBasically the future timebubble that Kythia, JB, and Lum have been using for their discourse; feel free to jump in and/or open up entirely new lines of critique."

@Frostwander

"I feel that many among us would posit that all things matter, just in varying degrees." Oskar dei Fiori smiles as he finishes scribing down his notes, looking up to make eye contact with the sage. The slit pupils of his red eyes are unnerving, even from across the room. "-Though I would not have asked if it were not a subject of interest. Your contribution is appreciated regardless of how much it may matter." Having concluded the Usheret introductions, the other judges signal for the next speaker to begin.

New Introductions

@EmBark

An envoy of the Imperial Cult was expected to make an appearance in some form or another, and while the speech delivered is well-ordered and comprehensive Pako would have noticed awkward glances pass between the judges. As soon as he has finished his speech, the aged woman on the middle-right of the panel flips to an early page in her notebook- obviously prepared for this eventuality- and begins to speak. "The Fiorid dynasty has held the Empire to be unquestioned sovereign of this world- and all others- for countless millennia, as the loyal reigns of Tonje and Stian dei Fiori attest. We have done our utmost to serve the current Emperor in all the ways we are able, but recent events have placed a strain on these efforts. Despite our complete dedication to every other task they set- maximal devotion to their Mythohistories, restoration of order to their wayward anarchic subjects- they have seen fit to declare our state persona non grata on account of one measly economic lapse, incurred in the course of expending our resources to meet these other mandates. Though our glory is unsung, we are rivalled only by the Eilif Dhaoine in size while standing parallel with the upper echelons of our fellow Elect in terms of military might. We are the paragon subject, a force for order the likes of which any liege would dream to possess and yet this is our reward? To have the worthless vultures and jackals of Tekhum- the lowest scum clinging to the heel of dignified civilization- encouraged to pluck at our flesh for the Emperor's amusement?"

She pauses to breathe; it is a marvel that one appearing so old could carry on with such a long tirade, even reading from a script. "...Is your recommendation, in the face of these ghastly affairs, for us to elevate this act of grievous mismanagement to divine providence? The Empire is already our liege and always will be, regardless of how we judge its present ruler's decisions, but what kind of political message does it send if we deepen our commitment to a figure in the wake of such a flagrant miscarriage of justice on their part?"

Having allowed the speech to go as planned, Oskar dei Fiori now leans forward, light reflecting of his spectacles in such a way as to hide the true nature of whatever expression lurks above his neutral query. "And besides- what evidence can attest to divinity on the part of the Emperor? The others have demonstrated metaphysical potency which can be attributed to their interpretation of divinity, whereas this claim is made with only evidence of his political supremacy. An unquestioned quality, to be sure, but what would the High Lords say if questioned as to whether or not this translates into a divine nature?"

@GrimRanger

Though the portly Druid appears to be pleased in sentiment, the other three judges cast awkward glances at each other throughout the entire process. Once it's done, there is a ten-second silence before the aged woman sighs and asks the question on everyone's mind. "Do you profess an objection to slavery?"

The portly Druid's face goes an even paler white as he glances between his colleagues and the speaker, trying to rationalize some form of apologia for one of the few faiths that also seemed to adequately respect the value of life. "Well, strictly speaking, one individual leading a number of others to aid in the pursuit of one single will would allow one to rise to greater heights than if they struggled alone, correct? Is there anything within the faith that would prevent this outcome?"

@Tychris1

For the extra attentive, Oskar can be seen scratching at his scaled cheek with an amused smirk for most of the delivery, but it is his Druid colleagues who speak instead. First is the morose visage of the portly Druid, ever-beholden to his taboos. "Such frequent death on the part of this Mother Serpent seems like anathema to our culture, which disdains death above all other ills. The mysteries of divine rebirth are unknown to us with the exception of their existence; is there at least some form of continuity upon which a consciousness may rely?"

The wispy fellow straightens a pile of papers as he chimes in, eyes curiously sizing up the Doomweaver's strange appearance. "Many here have already made the case for divine energy being found within one's own being- would you say that these competitors also draw their energies from the Mother Serpent, or are these energies universal, with your god acting as a sage whose unique insight brings these abilities to greater heights?"

Stage B: The Banquet or Buffet or whatever it was called

@volthawk

The slave, though clearly uneased by Clagath's 'grab', smiles cordially and nods meekly in response, departing to fetch the nearest of the siblings. After thirty seconds alone with the buffet, a familiar face and its familiar smile slide through the crowd to greet the man. "President Clagath, it's a pleasure to see you again." Hinrik dei Fiori glides into the seat opposite to the host of the Aonach, setting his glass of red vintage lightly upon the table. "It was a shame that our interaction at the Aonach was derailed so severely; you were a true stateman throughout the entire affair, whatever my irritations with some of our company at the time." He takes a delicate sip from the glass before continuing. "Alas, with these recent developments, I feel that we have much graver matters to discuss..."

Stage C: Post-Debate Party Dregs (for characters who were debating and also move to partake in the party upon its conclusion)

By the time the debate has concluded and the Druids have withdrawn to deliberate on their final decisions, the party outside has died down significantly. The sun has long since set, a full moon high in the sky, illuminating even the unlit flower patches with its silvery glow. Though the music is calmer and the food more scarce, tired interlocutors may still find fruitful conversation amidst the fading embers.

@EmBark

"Thirst does tend to creep up at the end of such gatherings, doesn't it?" The wheelchair of Hekla dei Fiori is a remarkably silent thing for its size, a feat of engineering which would be coveted by spies the world over were it not used exclusively for the comfort of a cripple. Drawing up alongside Pako, the noblewoman swirls her crimson drink around idly in its glass with a tired frown upon her face, looking out over the still-gorgeous array of flowers that seems to match the pattern of the quilt on her lap. "...If it isn't too insensitive to ask, how old are you?"

@GrimRanger - (any particular party you're interested in talking to?)

Edited by moossabi (see edit history)

The Debate

@moossabi

Pako bows in respect and welcome to the response from the Druids.

"As you state, these are recent events, not reflective of your millennia-long relationship to the Emperor. I would certainly not recommend you elevate this grief to divinity! What I recommend is the recognition that this grief is not caused by the divinity of the Emperor, but a lack of it among those in the Imperial Court that brought forth this command. It is said that two things are certain: death and taxes. Death is the domain of the divine. Taxes are the domain of the temporal. The Emperor has existed for countless millennia. The individuals of the Imperial Court have not. They bear not the wisdom that is afforded those of an age like you or I, and certainly not the wisdom of the Emperor. It is there that I believe lies a necessary separation. For much like how a servant or even the priests of gods are not afforded being as perfect and powerful as the master or god they serve, the Imperial Court is human."

He makes a gesture.

"Alas, I am no politician. I think it is worth investigating why the Imperial Court hounds you so, my compatriots. I fear I should not speak much to them, lest this become a political conversation rather than a religious one, and my tongue become unrestrained in the flow of my controversial opinions. As to the Emperor's divinity--"

Pako's speech halted as he sensed something behind him and he turned around. In the distance there shone a green light that had risen up from among the trees and rose and flew and twisted through the air at high speed, coming in the direction of the amphitheater where the debate took place. As it came closer, it became apparent that it took a humanoid shape, as Guyineber circled above the amphitheater, leaving a green light trail behind her, before landing near the druids.

"Oh wow! Thank you, honoured Druids, for inviting us to this event. Your homelands are gorgeous!"

Guyineber stood nearly 8 imperial foot tall, with curved white horns with a green glow coming from between the ridges. The same glow came from her green eyes and bony growths on her back. Her skin was a rich magenta shade and her crystal weave space suit was a space-black uniform with a strange shimmer to it, like that of gems or precious metal.

"I have been very excited to come here and meet with you, honoured Druids, who to my knowledge occupy a similar honoured space in your civilization as flightmasters do in ours. Flightmaster Pako here is my captain, pilot, scout and priest. It is a position I hope to hold in time. I hope to learn from you as I hope you will learn from us. Our magic I have already shown you in part! It is studied through Science, empowered by Holy Space and guided by the Emperor and Ophon, who are one and the same. I am have mastered the magic of flight and light constructs, but have yet to learn the magic that conquers life and smites disease, as flightmaster Pako has. Yet yours! Your magic, of nature and of defeating the process of aging entirely, that is fascinating. Like your lands, verdant and green, it is beautiful to see. Forgive me, I have not met elves before. Is it rude to compliment your beauty? I hope it is not."

Flightmaster Pako coughed and Guyineber looked at him.

"We had just been discussing the divinity of the Emperor."

He held up his hand apologetically at the Druids.

"Ah! Of course! Forgive me, honoured Druids." Guyineber bowed. "The Emperor is certainly divine. The Emperor and Ophon are one. The Emperor is eternal. Some see there to be a 'current' Emperor, rather than just an eternal one, and while there is credence to that, all those in the past who were called Emperor who were merely human have been subsumed into the divinity that is the Emperor, the one who is Parent to us all."

She bowed again to the Druids. "Forgive me for the interruption to the debate. I did not mean to be rude. I shall save my further words and shows of magic, proud though I am of it."

The Banquet

@volthawk

Guyineber's eyes were wide open in delight as she moved through the banquet hall.

"So much food! Such variety! I am delighted, for am I famished."

As she begins loading up two plates, she gives a grin to a Sansarite representative further down the table, holding up one plate.

"Big girl. Very active. Gotta eat!"

The Party

@moossabi

Pako raises his glass in greeting Hekla dei Fiori. "Thirst is the sin and pleasure of the living, I always figured."

He looked over her wheelchair. An interesting contraption. He had seen some humans in wheelchairs before, though in the low-gravity regions of Mekhala they tended to be rare. Rarer still among the Llort Society, so studious in the magic of flight. Science certainly was amazing in all its forms across all orbits.

Pako shows a smile partly hidden by his rich mustache. "Not rude at all, certainly from such kind and respectful company. I am 191 revolutions of age in Mekhalan years. The conversion to Sansarite and imperial years escapes me."

Edited by EmBark (see edit history)

On 3/15/2024 at 6:51 PM, moossabi said:
  • "Yeah, the Ishtahn, those are the mutts I was talking about!" Arni lets out a brief laugh, waving his hand dismissively. "Those other Veehrans? They know what's up. No fuss, no muss, just wading through the blood of their enemies up to the ankle. That parody of a 'kingdom' in the northwest is just an orgy of pretentious puppies who go rabid the second they see something that offends their sensibilities. Heck, they can't even finish their own job, they need the Soom Clan to do it for them! They yap and bark about some grand liberatory crusade, then cower in the dirt the second they catch wind of a country that can actually defend itself. Can't say I blame them; it's where they belong." This entire rant is delivered like a joke, without a hint of anger, and is punctuated with a hearty chuckle. "Might not stop them from exploiting our hospitality for a quick piddle on the welcome mat, though. If that happens, I might be able to see some action after all."
  • "...I see." Though Hinrik's tone remains polite and the artificial smile maintains its position upon his visage, Constance gets the distinct feeling that he's transitioning between diplomatic playbooks. "Regardless, I hope you continue to find your stay fruitful. By all means, enjoy the feast, I'm sure you'd rather not return home on an empty stomach. I have some business of my own to attend to in the meantime."
  • "I can definitely believe that the Llort managed to win your favor; they seem like an upstanding sort." Lilja grins warmly below her empty eyes. "Seems like a system prone to all kinds of intriguing situations. I heard that the Black Cloud Coalition even tried their best for the position..." Whether or not she seems to be insinuating anything is impossible to know, for her voice remains cheerful and friendly throughout the entire exchange, a textbook show of naivete. "There's probably no need to undertake great public works, but I can certainly convince my siblings to agree to a nonaggression pact. They don't have any interest in any land so far north anyways, and their original hesitance was... well, not super important now that we've seen how the system works."

II

Constance knows her role here. She laughs with Arni, gestures out at the crowd. "Well, if everyone's going to stay in their place, it'll only be your watchful eye that ensures it. We appreciate the stewardship you've taken of this conclave. Give me a wink if troubles coming, if you get the chance." She attempts to escape.

III

"Always a great pleasure." She allows him his escape.

IV

"Indeed they have!" Constance says of the pirates. "I was personally quite surprised at their overtures, and the scale of them, though I can't say it's felt like a mercy to be sheltered from...well, their reputation more than their recent history. Fortunately for the Utopians and the Llort, the bees were not quite as taken as some observers may have feared."

When the pact is loosely agreed to, Constance smiles. "I'll have the paperwork sent over, along with your library cards. Truth be told, we had hoped to enchant them with great powers, but we never were able to repeat our protoype. You should come see it sometime--or borrow it for a hexade if you'd like."

[PUTTING YOU INTO THE MEMBERS LIST ON MY IC. IF THIS IS ACTUALLY NOT HAPPENING ON ANY GROUNDS LEMME KNO]

On 3/16/2024 at 6:06 PM, EmBark said:
The Party

After the debate had sapped Pako's energy, he slumped down in a chair in a slightly quieter part of the party section, clutching a glass with a cold and colourful beverage. "Emperor's shingles, I needed this."

Constance, buoyed by the thrill of the stirring conference, finds the chance to sidle up to Pako. She has for herself a flagon of mead.

"Pardon me, do you have a moment?" Assuming anything less than direct refusal, she sits. "Your speech today was truly inspiring. I had, it is my shame to admit, written off the Imperial Cults as all essentially different shades of the same thing. While not denying any ecumenical claims of ultimate shared truth, I had never before been exposed to the depths of your theologies, even on such a cursory level. When my report reaches the Arkhive Æternal, I know we'll have a number of researchers' attentions. You would have fertile grounds for both scholarship and, if history is a guide, conversion in the Hive. Coedd is the ultimate truth of this planet, but that does not mean we would deny the ultimate truth of the system. When your missionaries have time, we would value their input."

[WE WILL FIGHT TO PRESERVE COEDD MAJORITY BUT WE ARE INTERESTED IN A MINORITY PLZ]

On 3/17/2024 at 2:18 PM, GrimRanger said:
The Party

After the debate proper has finally wound down, the delegation of Forever Self disperses into small groups throughout the plaza to listen to the gathered representatives. Each of the three leaders has small number of their fellow adherents with them, free to be approached by anyone.

Constance approaches the Wayfinder herself, with the respect of someone approaching the mouthpiece of divinity. "Your Grace, I am Constance of Comment, the Queen of the Arkhive Æternal. I want to thank you for your presentation today. Even from that, I learned there is much I do not yet know about the Forever Self. I have more questions than it would be fit to demand answers to: how was this path discovered, what great successes can it claim credit for, how deeply married to quotidian life in your lands has it become--questions of those sorts. I would be much gratified if you consider the Arkhive a partner for study and, if I know the way our scholars latch onto ideas, for practice, when you and your missionaries have a chance."

[WE WILL FIGHT TO PRESERVE COEDD MAJORITY BUT WE ARE INTERESTED IN A MINORITY PLZ]

On 3/18/2024 at 11:00 AM, Kythia said:

@Lumaeus @JBarca

Garrick frowns in the unmistakable air of a man who has opinions about what has just been said and is very consciously not expressing them. Possibly at great internal effort. Eventually he gives a little chuckle to himself and shrugs.

Her majesty is correct. As I've said, the worship of Coedd is localised and the practices and beliefs of one worshipper are not necessarily - in fact are incredibly unlikely to be - the beliefs of another.  To the Elves I became like a Elf, to win the Elves. To those under the Elif Dhaoine I became like one under the Elif Dhaoine (though I myself am not under the Elif Dhaoine), so as to win those under the Elif Dhaoine he quotes from some source or another.

Constance gives a nod of thanks, which is the most apology that would be appropriate on stage.

20 hours ago, volthawk said:
The Party

Clagath was impressed. The Fiorids couldn't be accused of not giving this thing their all - as expected, given some of their recent international troubles and this being the first chance many of them had to see the elves at their best and most diplomatic. After loading up a plate with some of the best-looking food on offer, Clagath takes a seat by one of the tables and grabs one of the slaves running around the place to tell them to let the Fiorids know where he was if they wish to discuss things with him.

Not yet legally a Fiorid, Constance is still soon present. She holds a flagon of mead. "Your reputation precedes you! I am Constance of Comment, Queen of the Arkhive Æternal, and it is a sincere joy to finally meet you after our states' long and fruitful partnership. I regretted sincerely that I could not make it to the Aonach," (this said with the careful pronunciation of someone who practiced it fifty times a day to get it right--nothing wrong but everything too right) "Though I hope to have avoided insult by sending one of our more prestigious scholars." She smiles knowingly. "And I hope he managed to avoid insult by being one of the more...ideosyncratic scholars."

44 minutes ago, EmBark said:
The Banquet

@??? (whoever among the other players wants to give Moos a break from responding to literally everyone :p)

Guyineber's eyes were wide open in delight as she moved through the banquet hall.

"So much food! Such variety! I am delighted, for am I famished."

As she begins loading up two plates, she gives a grin to a Sansarite representative further down the table, holding up one plate.

"Big girl. Very active. Gotta eat!"

Constance is quickly at hand. She sure buzzes around like a [NOTE TO SELF, FIND AN APPROPRIATE METAPHOR. WHAT BUZZES?]. Holding only mead and no food, she walks up to the comparative giant with a great smile. "It really is one of the great joys of this world. There is always something fresh and new to eat." She takes nothing. "Constance of Comment, Queen of the Arkhive Æternal. A pleasure to meet you properly!"

The Banquet

@Lumaeus @volthawk

"Ah!" Guyineber exclaims in equal measures surprise and delight, turning her gaze away from one Sansarite representative to another. "Oh, you! You are of the bee-people. The beeple!"

She bows, only really catching Constance's introduction as a queen after Guyineber's own response. She not only flew fast, she spoke fast too, faster than her ears could hear.

"Ah, my apologies, Queen! It is a pleasure!"

The Party

@moossabi @Lumaeus

Pako looks up from his (so far, brief) conversation with Hekla dei Fiori to look at Queen Constance. "Ah, dear Queen. Thank you for your kind words. I can scarcely blame you. The Imperial Cult has some differences from the beliefs of the so-called Imperial Traditions held up by scattered regions throughout the Empire of Tekhum. It does an old man good to hear you speak so."

The Debate

@moossabi

Inclining her head slightly at the question of slavery, Syndra does not seem put off by the sudden awkward turn in the atmosphere of the debate. "Slavery of various kinds has existed for longest time, and while it is true that being enslaved might curtain individual growth and dreams, in the end we support all goals. If one's goal is to rise by subjugation, it is no less part of the universe than others, no matter what personal qualms some might have with it. We do not judge: the strife between individual wills clashing is crucial in creating the sort of modern myths we hope will give raise to more perfect universe. Of course, we also would not judge slaves raising against their masters, for if one has the will and capability to be a great freedom fighter, is that not remarkable and beautiful in itself?"

The Party

@Lumaeus

Making a polite curtsy in turn as she is approached, the Wayfinder seems delighted by the company, at least if her body language can be trusted with the constantly shifting robes obscuring great deal of it. "It is pleasant to meet you, your highness. I am of course willing to answer any questions you might have: shall we walk and talk?"

Gliding along with ethereal grace, the tall woman seems to consider for a moment before giving her answer: the art of answering in conscise yet informative manner is essential for such ballroom functions. "I am quite certain that many scholars from our City of Wonders have already made their way towards your people: you seem very knowledgeable after all, and our people can appreeciate the pursuits of the mind. Our faith was the result of much philosophical debate, rising from the foundation of science and spiritualism both, but it was only truly codified when the Djinn revealed a path towards higher callings to us. While we cannot claim to share our practice with every soul aboard Senkar, we are regardless the clear majority, and under our purview the first steps towards perfection have already been taken. True, concrete steps that aim to free all from the yoke of failing bodies so they can focus on higher pursuits."

Tilting her head mournfully downwards, she cannot help but exhale softly. "We have not yet truly spread our wings among the stars: there are many who would show civilizations all around their respective paths, and we try not to be aggressive regarding our beliefs: perfection will not require us to prove anything to anyone in the end, after all."

9 minutes ago, GrimRanger said:
Making a polite curtsy in turn as she is approached, the Wayfinder seems delighted by the company, at least if her body language can be trusted with the constantly shifting robes obscuring great deal of it. "It is pleasant to meet you, your highness. I am of course willing to answer any questions you might have: shall we walk and talk?"

Gliding along with ethereal grace, the tall woman seems to consider for a moment before giving her answer: the art of answering in conscise yet informative manner is essential for such ballroom functions. "I am quite certain that many scholars from our City of Wonders have already made their way towards your people: you seem very knowledgeable after all, and our people can appreeciate the pursuits of the mind. Our faith was the result of much philosophical debate, rising from the foundation of science and spiritualism both, but it was only truly codified when the Djinn revealed a path towards higher callings to us. While we cannot claim to share our practice with every soul aboard Senkar, we are regardless the clear majority, and under our purview the first steps towards perfection have already been taken. True, concrete steps that aim to free all from the yoke of failing bodies so they can focus on higher pursuits."

Tilting her head mournfully downwards, she cannot help but exhale softly. "We have not yet truly spread our wings among the stars: there are many who would show civilizations all around their respective paths, and we try not to be aggressive regarding our beliefs: perfection will not require us to prove anything to anyone in the end, after all."

"Is universal perfection possible or even inevitable? Or do you seek to cultivate a bright center of perfecting and perfection which may well wax and grow but is not guaranteed? Do you even wish to spread perfection, or is it merely a generous response to the seeking of the elves that you've come with your revelations?" Constance decides that even with openness to questioning, tact will cut off further interrogation here. After all, neither woman is truly free to chat at leisure here.

1 minute ago, Lumaeus said:

"Is universal perfection possible or even inevitable? Or do you seek to cultivate a bright center of perfecting and perfection which may well wax and grow but is not guaranteed? Do you even wish to spread perfection, or is it merely a generous response to the seeking of the elves that you've come with your revelations?" Constance decides that even with openness to questioning, tact will cut off further interrogation here. After all, neither woman is truly free to chat at leisure here.

@Lumaeus

"Universal perfection... an appealing notion, isn't it? Of course, that could only happen if the universe itself became a perfect stained-glass window: grand, but unchanging" she muses sadly, shaking her head. "Realities of this universe may in the end stop such things... but it is also a good thing in part. There will always be new developments, and the portrait of the universe will never remain a constant: it is what makes it beautiful. We seek perfection of self to pursue higher ideals: to fill the universe with grandest of personalities, great heroes and villains. The fact not everything can be perfected to the level akin to what we seek is not a reason for despair."

Constance laughs. "We know something of endless pursuits in the Arkhive. Please, consider your noble self and all your people ever welcome in our lands, welcome to our resources, and welcome to teach and learn that which we both have to share."

She hands over a box hardly larger than a glasses case. "A gift from the Arkhive."

Many of the Moonsoul Mountains have adopted Coedd, at least in name, and have made friends with the goddess tree in a way that is, thankfully, not the submission that other religious nations have to their religion. But Coedd already has her representatives here.

This woman is here to represent the old ways. The true ways of the Moonsoul Mountains. Ancient traditions. Clad in simplistic silks of blue coloring, her eyes ablaze, she takes her stand at the podium.

"Greetings. My name is Bob. I will give a steady dissertation on the stances of the Hundred Hands." She begins to weave her magic, conjuring up texts and sigils that float around her, and they seem to offer up a sixth sense, seventh? Something that makes it inherently able to read them. She's down on the ground, eyes closed, knelt and hands planted. Around her are a dozen ethereal hands that present these things that give an intuitive understanding.

Persevere. Tranquility. Force. The way of everything. It's hard to translate into words the soothing measure of the supernatural that is there, but a slow if surface understanding can be measured. Some form of tracing and one of the hands goes over, emphasizing certain points, in similar nature to a speaker going over particular points of a power presentation. A path to transcending and the power and happiness that can be found within.

Eventually, she
raises herself up.
Giving a bow and a smile for her expression of devotion and belief, the woman named Bob steps down to cede the floor, and questions, if need be.

Stage A: Debate
Intro Closures - (these are done, feel free to partake in cross-examination)

@EmBark

The panel is intently silent throughout Pako's response, stern faces masking minutes' worth of internal political calculations. Guyineber's interjection, however, throws everyone off, inspiring a bafflement so severe that, for some inexplicable reason, despite the guards unanimously raising their weapons, she successfully sees her speech through to completion and leaves. Throughout the entire insult- the intrusion upon a private meeting, the interruption of an ongoing speaker, the patronization of their culture and appearance, the unrelenting verbosity- Oskar's teeth are gritted, eyes narrow, on the precipice of making good on his prior threat to eliminate the next person to upset the process, were it not for one key phrase: 'The Emperor and Ophon are one'. Though the look of suppressed fury never leaves his face, it is such a tantalizing hypothesis that enough time is bought for her to finish her diatribe and fly away, a full minute of silence passing in her wake.

Massaging his temples, Oskar finally breaks the silence with an icy cold reprimand directed at the Imperial Cult's podium. "Flightmaster Pako, I have one piece of immediate feedback: Rein. In. Your. Apprentice." Before any objection can be made, he waves his hand. "The process shall proceed as ordered. Next!"

@GrimRanger

The portly Druid seems satisfied with the answer, nodding along cordially, though the other two Druids' expressions are colder at the mention of condoning revolts. Otherwise, the answer is taken well, not necessitating any further commentary.

Intro Questions

@Rocket Relm

The wispy druid takes a quick glance at his notes before his gaze rises again to contemplate Bob's words. "An impressive display, but what is the practical utility of such a power? How distinct is it from the other demonstrations here?"

Meanwhile, the aged woman posits the glaring question in a neutral tone. "Your faith is currently losing ground to Coedd within its own homeland; have you any thoughts or commentary on this predicament? An explanation for why your people would be compelled to stray from these Hundred Hands?"

Stage B: Main Party

@Lumaeus

• "Whoa, slow down, what's the hurry?" Arni seems completely unaware of the implied social cue, moving to intercept the Queen's intended path of departure. "An eye for stewardship, respectable- truth be told, half the reason this place is so safe is because of my little brothers. The older one- you probably know Hinrik: massive ego, self-aggrandizing- went through a load of trouble to set up that landing pad and shuttle system. The little guy- Oskar, weird snake with the glasses- didn't want anyone messing with his elementary class over at the amphitheater, so he went along with it. They're both cowards, have been since they were kids. Would've liked some excitement to drink to, but hey, the kiddos gotta have their safe space sometimes." He takes another sanguine swig.*
  • Lilja winces, the oversize white pearls in her eye sockets turning to the side alongside her head. "...I don't think I could 'see' it, no..."

*I am going to draw this particular thread out as long and obnoxiously as possible as revenge for opening so many conversations at once >:(

Stage C: Nighttime Afterparty

@EmBark @Lumaeus

The pause in which Hekla tries to translate units of time in her head is filled by Constance's interruption, revolving around matters of faith which held no meaning to the seated woman. Frowning, exhausted, she looks down at her drink. What was she doing? She hadn't introduced herself, hadn't asked for the Llort's name (though she knew it already through secondary channels), had no reason at all to engage with the man beyond the gut feeling that he, too, was tired. She couldn't be drunk, it was a physiological impossibility, why had she allowed herself to stumble into such a position of vulnerability? For what, the vague hope that someone might understand the stifling loneliness of eternity?

As Pako replies to Constance, a silent wheelchair makes its leave. By the time either conversant would think to address her, Hekla is gone.

The Ducal Yacht of the House of Fire had become a common presence in the orbit of Sansar, servicing the warring responsibilities of a family forged together by the wedding of mutual heirs. However, while Artavasdes II and Monite were representing their families on distant Badal, the yacht arrived with a distant passenger. Emerging from the sleek Mekhalan shuttle, the Duchess Ana-Tashmetum-taklak flowed through the waiting crowds in a gown of liquid gold, two handmaidens dipped in amber following in her wake. Though her concerns and those of her husband were primarily temporal following the return of the Core Seers, the Duchess had judged it necessary to stand in support of their fellow faithful among the Llort Protectorate and the Reign of Blood. That it provided an opportunity to observe The Parasite directly was simply added benefit.

The Duchess had watched the debate with great interest, her face hidden behind a delicate fan of black silk, removed only momentarily to salute Flightmaster Paco as well as Magister Sage Jénou. Even as the day's trials set into night's festivities, she remained aloof, amber eyes drinking in the crowd until she noticed the elderly Flightmaster detach himself from the milieu. Hoping to congratulate him, the Duchess drifted forward, only to witness the scene unfolding between Paco and his unexpected admirers. Including the uncharacteristic retreat of a scion of House Fiore. She had met Hekla once before, at the wedding in Caipe Ushere, and now Ana-Tashmetum-taklak allowed her maternal instincts to supersede matters of state. Following Hekla like a gilded shadow, the Duchess waited until they were alone before snapping her fan open to announce her presence.

"Your family keeps an exquisite home, Lady Hekla."

5 hours ago, moossabi said:
  • "Whoa, slow down, what's the hurry?" Arni seems completely unaware of the implied social cue, moving to intercept the Queen's intended path of departure. "An eye for stewardship, respectable- truth be told, half the reason this place is so safe is because of my little brothers. The older one- you probably know Hinrik: massive ego, self-aggrandizing- went through a load of trouble to set up that landing pad and shuttle system. The little guy- Oskar, weird snake with the glasses- didn't want anyone messing with his elementary class over at the amphitheater, so he went along with it. They're both cowards, have been since they were kids. Would've liked some excitement to drink to, but hey, the kiddos gotta have their safe space sometimes." He takes another sanguine swig.*
  • Lilja winces, the oversize white pearls in her eye sockets turning to the side alongside her head. "...I don't think I could 'see' it, no..."

*I am going to draw this particular thread out as long and obnoxiously as possible as revenge for opening so many conversations at once >:(

(Game. On.)

ARNI, THE LEASTJust to be clear because I am not taking that risk, this is Lumaeus being mean, not any IC gesture, thought, or action OF THE FIORIDS

Ah. So he was one of these. Well then, Constance wouldn't dare be rude. If Slate Cinereal hadn't, in all his eternities of monologue, defeated the Arkhival Majesty on the field of nauseating ad nausea, some foreign warlord wouldn't either.

"You are surely too modest. Though less exciting than a tactician might desire, this 'safe space' isn't simply a concession to your brothers' desires. After all, it is your reputation that maintains the peace even now, and it is your leadership which has helped steward the wealth and tame the wilds enough that we stand in what might be the heart of the most secure polity in Tekhum. You are generous to them, and I hope they recognize it. But tell me, what if you simply had your way? All of Tekhum is invited here for mere academic discussion, but what if you had dictated the invites, planned the events? I would hope you would bring us something more stimulating than Mekhala's races or the rumored pirate brawls that either have happened or will happen or are happening depending on the actual timeline of the round don't worry about it. What does Arni's Conclave look like?"

LILJA, WHO HAS NEVER DONE ANYTHING WRONG IN HER LIFE

Constance does a remarkable job trying to put her wince into her tone of voice. "Apologies. It was an inapt and inconsiderate turn of phrase. Inapt, as its powers are entirely vibe based, rather than a visual aid. It's singular vibrations, produced in a nearly crystallized comb, somehow enhance research--it's this somehow that prevents its mass production. We're uncertain whether it affects the bees themselves, the Honeyed Words, the psycho-digestive process, or simply the researcher herself. It seems to deliberately confound study of itself, which is fair enough, considering all it does for us. I would be honored to demonstrate its abilities to you sometime."

6 hours ago, moossabi said:

As Pako replies to Constance, a silent wheelchair makes its leave. By the time either conversant would think to address her, Hekla is gone.

(Oops)

The Debate

@anyone who wishes to respond to the debate points of the Imperial Cult

Guyineber grimaces at being righly reprimanded. She opens her mouth to apologize again.

"Guyineber."

Pako's voice does not raise, but carries a tone of urgency and authority over the apprentice. She quickly sits down next to him. As the debate continues, she leans in to whisper.

"Did I offend them? I offended them, didn't I? How bad is it? You know their culture better, right, flightmaster?"

"Oh, it is bad alright. You should not have entered in the way that you did. You should not have interrupted. You should have asked permission to speak first."

Pako tried to focus on the ongoing debate, but he frowned and briefly spared her a glance.

"I know more of their culture than you do, but still not as much as I might like. For all I know, to them you might be so far below me and them in hierarchy that your speaking up might be akin to a slave rebellion in miniature."

Guyineber grimaces and quietly vows to stay her tongue for the remainder of the debate, unless directly spoken to.

The Banquet

@Lumaeus

After greeting the queen and apologizing, Guyineber offers her a plate.

The Night-Time After-Party

@Lumaeus

When Pako turns to ask sometime of his previous conversation partner, he sees that Hekla has left. He looks around to search for her, but it appears the wheelchair is faster than it looks. He ponders their interaction for a moment, then returns to conversation with Constance.

--- --- --- --- ---

@moossabi

Later on, after Pako has finished his first drink and his conversation with Constance, he moves throughout the party and the grounds around it as much as he is allowed. He asks after "the elven woman in the wheelchair" of a few elves, hoping to find her again.

Screenshot2024-03-20at10_51_02AM.jpg.6a3a28e90bad3f089cd4ee648ef2bb4c.jpg

"The effect would be described more as cohabitation than as losing ground. Our magic and ways are not lost, and even should my attempts here fail to say the name, the ways of things that are deeper than the names we as souls place upon them will remain. It would be a rare... sorcerer, as the layelf might describe our kind, that would say they have cast off our ways. As for the distinctness of the demonstration... it is meant to be more than mere power, but a culmination of self actualization. The ways that one could induct themselves, and emotions and mental states through conveyances to create an understanding on a deeper level. It would also depend on what path one wants to walk, whether enlightenment of the internal self... or exacting change on the external world around. Many have found purpose, and while I do not expect everyone to be convinced, if only a handful see the demonstrations and decide to start on the path, I would be willing to guide and call the measure a success."

ร—
ร—