Adventure 3 - Tidal Tribulations

R.jpg.2ca289fdf72caaacb64a030887b89370.jpgPrincess Merida of DunBroch 

There was a lot happening, most of which she chose to ignore as unimportant. "Do we all go together or separate to do both at once? Ma bow don' work well under tha sea, so unless Merlin has some magic to fix tha, I think I'll go aftor the black bowl... do we have a boat?"

Rapunzel - Arcane Tricksteroldmanwanderer_Disneys_Rapunzel_short_brown_hair_high_fantasy_r_77974c05-de69-4746-b012-7131bbbd01f2-removebg-preview.png.e92ea98bef3b0aafea186d019b007d31.png

DnD Beyond Sheet | Myth-Weaver Sheet

STR: +0 | DEX: +3 | CON: +0 | INT: +2 | WIS: +0 | CHA: +3

INT: +3 | AC: 14 | HP: 27

Passive Perception: 16 | Passive Investigation: 14 | Passive Insight: 10

Rapunzel nodded along with Merida. It made complete sense to split up and tackle both situations at the same time. Heck with the right strategies one group could even work as a distraction for the other.

"I would ... um, also like to go after the Cauldron." the Auburn woman says. "I don't know if the tricks Eugene taught me would work under water after all." She looked back at Merlin hoping to see some kind of confirmation in the old mage's eyes.

Moana-portrait-orange-border.png.4ca1bbdcf7ccf36d342db60233d0126e.pngMoana Waialiki Sea Soul 6

Strength: 10 (+0)
Dexterity: 14 (+2)
Constitution: 14 (+2)

Intelligence: 10 (+0)
Wisdom: 10 (+0)
Charisma: 20 (+5)

AC: 15
HP: 35
PP: 14

Order of operations

You may assume this happens after Merlin and/or Ursula answer Moana's earlier question.

"I have a boat," she says, "Not exactly big, but it has been used by six people in the past. Though I have to warn you; all of us were experienced fishermen or -women, and knew what we were doing. It is easy to fall into the ocean if you're not careful. Maybe we ought to tie a rope around your waists, like we do with children."

She glances at Ursula. Is she really going to force them into some silly game to get back the sundial? Aren't there better ways to solve this? When faced with problems, negotiations should always be the first step.

"Since I am completely ignorant: Can someone explain to me what the sundial is? Why is it so important?"

On 3/25/2024 at 11:39 PM, Ayeba said:

Moana-portrait-orange-border.png.4ca1bbdcf7ccf36d342db60233d0126e.pngMoana listens intently to the two share information about Hades.

"Who sealed him away in the first place?" she asked, "If they are still around, is it possible to enlist their help? I assume they have a vested interest in keeping him sealed after they went through the effort to do it the first time."

She ponders for a moment.

"A small hypothetical question: If they successfully revive him with the cauldron, is there a way to stop him without re-sealing him? If he is the god of death, I assume that killing him is not an option; wouldn't he be able to just bring himself to life again? Or just refuse to die in the first place?"

Merlin hummed "Hades was put down by a hero named Hercules who defeated him after Hades attempted to overthrow the Olympian gods. It wasn't until after a secondary clash over the soul of Hercules' beloved Megara that Hades was sent into the River Styx in the underworld by a divine strike only he could muster and sealed away on the other side by all the vengeful spirits that he once had control over. Hercules currently is an athletics coach here at the colleges and although he has expressed that if bad things happen that need him to step in he will."

Ursula hummed "If Hades is successfully unsealed, nothing short of what Hercules did will put him back there and I'm sure Hades will make sure that doesn't happen again.

On 3/27/2024 at 5:07 PM, Rumrunner said:

R.jpg.2ca289fdf72caaacb64a030887b89370.jpgThere was a lot happening, most of which she chose to ignore as unimportant. "Do we all go together or separate to do both at once? Ma bow don' work well under tha sea, so unless Merlin has some magic to fix tha, I think I'll go aftor the black bowl... do we have a boat?"

12 hours ago, Ayeba said:

Moana-portrait-orange-border.png.4ca1bbdcf7ccf36d342db60233d0126e.png"I have a boat," she says, "Not exactly big, but it has been used by six people in the past. Though I have to warn you; all of us were experienced fishermen or -women, and knew what we were doing. It is easy to fall into the ocean if you're not careful. Maybe we ought to tie a rope around your waists, like we do with children."

She glances at Ursula. Is she really going to force them into some silly game to get back the sundial? Aren't there better ways to solve this? When faced with problems, negotiations should always be the first step.

"Since I am completely ignorant: Can someone explain to me what the sundial is? Why is it so important?"

Ursula chuckled as she made an image showing the magical artifact which pretty much looked like a Sundial but had several ordinate markings around the perimeter "The Sundial my dear, is the ancient magical talisman that was once wielded by my Grandfather Cronus, the titan god of time and former ruler of them. With it he had the power to bring about much change that no mortal could stand against it and mortal life was not allowed to exist for long while he was in charge. It took the effort of my father's brother Zeus, the current king of the gods much to overthrow Cronus and put an end to the reign of the Titans. The sundial itself was told to give the wielder the power to control time allowing them to both view and with a lot of effort reach into both the past and future to alter the events that occur or that will occur if certain things are allowed to happen. However only those with divine lineage and strong magical prowess like myself can use the sundial to do any real changes." She hummed "however my first foray into altering things I encountered heavy resistance; it seems someone has gone to great lengths to protect what was written and is actively watching for changes and if one who is trying to do the changes does not heed their commands to stop, he stops them with magic of his own."

Merlin looked at Ursula "stopping them with magic but who could have..." He blinked "wait Ursula is Cronus..."

Ursula hummed "I don't know," She admitted "the voice who told me to stop sounded quite young almost like a child, but he had a strong magical presence that rivaled even mine and he was able to hold his own spells against me which made me choose to rethink my approach." She hummed "it was said that Grandfather was banished to Tartarus but a few say before he was defeated by Zeus he put a trace of his essence into the sundial itself in order to secure an existence in the mortal realm even if it wasn't mortal."

Merlin hummed "so even you can be stopped from using it but it doesn't guarantee you won't try again."

"I've tried looking into past events and he's allowed it for a little bit but said outright no touching." Ursula chirped then snickered "it made me think it wasn't the same madness driven titan that people tell stories about but when asked he doesn't say only telling me to not waste the time I was given to view the past and future."

Merlin hummed "curious... that also calls for further research, but it knocks down the urgency of liberating the sundial"

Ursula hummed "too bad, I think my minions were looking forward to some fun with heroes."

Glut grinned as he posed with punching a fist into his hand

Merlin huffed "fun aside. I summoned enough to make two teams if necessary one to go after the Cauldron, the other to take on your challenge to liberate the Sundial. I have magic and items capable of keeping things even so that those who are used to underwater combat won't have a clear advantage against those that don't.

Glut growled "lame... it's not that hard to fight underwater... I do it all the time"

"yes but one does not have fun if it is too easy, yes" Flotsam hissed

Glut hummed "true..."

"do we not love a challenge." Jetsam added "or is it you do not like to lose, Glut"

Glut huffed "I'll take anyone on and beat them."

Flotsam hissed "then it is settled, we await their challenge."

image.jpeg.046450084d26c8cee63870bae1f483c2.jpegName Eilonwy | Class Rogue 4/Wizard 2 | AC: 14 (17) | HP: 27/27 | Prof: +3 | PP: 13 | Saves: Str -1 / Dex +7 / Con +1 / Int +6 / Wis +0 / Cha +1 | Portent (8)

Special Abilities darkvision, Sneak Attack, Incisive Sense, Blessing of the Moonweaver, Cunning Action, Steady Aim, Ear for deceit, Eye for Detail, Insightful Fighting, Divination Savant, Portent | 

Attacks: Rapier | +7 | 1d8+4 pierciing, Shortbow +1 | +8 | 1d6+5 piercing (80/320 ), Dagger | +7 | 1d4+4 piercing (20/60)

Prepared Spells | Spell DC: 14 | Spell Attack +6 | Hit Dice 4d8/2d6 (6/6) | Death Saves: 0/0

Cantrips: Light, Booming Blade, Mind Sliver, Green-flame Blade, Sacred Flame, Vicious Mockery

Level 1 | (3/3) | Thunderwave, Find Familiar, Chromatic Orb, Shield, Magic Missile, Mage Armor, Healing Word (1/day), Silvery Barbs, Dissonant Whispers

Eilonwy was curious about this sundial, but no she had to find the Black Cauldron and Taran. "Two teams sounds like a good plan. I would definately like to go after The Black Cauldron." She says. "How long ago did the villain's ship leave? Is there a magic way to get to Morva before them?" She asks. "I would love to go on Moana's boat, don't even mind being tied on. Is it fast? Is seems like time is our enemy here."

Mechanics

MOVE: none

ACTION: none

BONUS ACTION: none

REACTION: none

CONCENTRATION: none

OOC: none

Edited by WolfBirch (see edit history)

Merlin hummed "I can get you to the coast of Morva via my magic and I should be able to recall you back to here, if necessary, but you'll have to navigate the forest yourself,

Moana-portrait-orange-border.png.4ca1bbdcf7ccf36d342db60233d0126e.pngMoana Waialiki Sea Soul 6

Moana listened intently to the explanations. There was a lot of information to digest, and plenty of unanswered questions left.

"The ability to view the future or past, even without altering it, sounds immensely powerful. For now, though, my main concern is keeping the artifact out of unwanted hands..."

Exactly which hands were desirable was something she wanted to discuss with Merlin without Ursula present. There were plenty of other questions to dig into.

She turned to Merlin. "Let me pose an important question, Merlin. Let's for a moment assume that we're capable of winning Ursula's challenge. Are you confident that you can protect the sundial from the villains? I am not just talking once you have it in your possession, but on the way to you. If the villains are powerful enough that they can pluck it from our hands before we can hand it to you, there's a good argument for simply leaving it in Ursula's hands until we can properly protect it."

Next, she turned her determined eyes towards Ursula: "As for you, Ursula of the dark seas: As this is a challenge you have proposed, I would like to hear the exact rules you and we abide by. What, exactly, counts as winning? What means are legal? How long time do we have? When does the timer starts counting? How are the rules enforced? If we somehow succeed, are you allowed to challenge us or Merlin in order to get it back? I can come up with a dozen more questions, but those are good starting points."

She kept her eyes locked on Ursula, respectful but unyielding.

Edited by Ayeba (see edit history)

Merlin hummed at Moana's questions,

Ursula smiled at Moana, she was highly amused by the sea islander heroine "if you accept my challenge and deal, our terms will be as follows.

Upon entering my lair, you will have one full day (24 hours) within it to complete your task of acquiring the sundial which will be set in a chamber at the end of the dungeon and leaving the dungeon with it in your possession. However, there will be several patrols of guards and magical traps within my lair set to delay you or incapacitate you and should the entire time pass or all within your party become incapacitated then you fail the challenge, and the sundial will remain in my possession until I see fit. The rules will be enforced by the artifact itself. It seems that the entity I mentioned before is a part of the sundial itself and is now capable of warding away the unwanted."

"Once you have the sundial out of Ursula's lair, I'll be able to lock onto it and bring it and you back to the colleges via magic." Merlin stated.

2 hours ago, SMARTAgentKC said:

Upon entering my lair, you will have one full day (24 hours) within it to complete your task of acquiring the sundial which will be set in a chamber at the end of the dungeon and leaving the dungeon with it in your possession. However, there will be several patrols of guards and magical traps within my lair set to delay you or incapacitate you and should the entire time pass or all within your party become incapacitated then you fail the challenge, and the sundial will remain in my possession until I see fit. The rules will be enforced by the artifact itself. It seems that the entity I mentioned before is a part of the sundial itself and is now capable of warding away the unwanted."

The rules weren't completely lopsided, but there was still a lot of unknowns.

"It doesn't sound completely unreasonable so far. We have no idea how powerful your guards and traps are or how many of them there are, but I don't expect you to answer that. There are a few other questions I can ask instead. Are you allowed to personally contribute? Either directly with your powers, or indirectly by for example supplying your guards with information or changing the layout or traps of your lair after we've entered it? Can you or someone else in your lair physically block a passage so there's no way to reach the sundial or the exit? Is the sundial itself particularly heavy or hard to move?"

Ursula hummed as she thought over Moana's questions. "Am I allowed to contribute, yes, will I... hmm... I might if I think if it is not enough of a challenge for you. but there will always be a way for you to complete the challenge. The Sundial is heavy enough that it will need someone to use two hands, a strong back or magic to carry it

9 hours ago, SMARTAgentKC said:

Ursula hummed as she thought over Moana's questions. "Am I allowed to contribute, yes, will I... hmm... I might if I think if it is not enough of a challenge for you. but there will always be a way for you to complete the challenge. The Sundial is heavy enough that it will need someone to use two hands, a strong back or magic to carry it

So they had to best the self-annotated sea goddess herself, not to mention the sundial's power to see into the future? Not exactly great odds, but she was no stranger to hardships.

"If you are allowed to intervene, can Merlin give us a hand? Either in preparation or during the attempt?"

She had no idea of what Merlin was capable of, but hopefully he could tilt the odds a bit in their favor. If nothing else, perhaps she could saw some doubt in Ursula's mind about her seemingly inevitable victory.

image.jpeg.046450084d26c8cee63870bae1f483c2.jpegName Eilonwy | Class Rogue 4/Wizard 2 | AC: 14 (17) | HP: 27/27 | Prof: +3 | PP: 13 | Saves: Str -1 / Dex +7 / Con +1 / Int +6 / Wis +0 / Cha +1 | Portent (8)

Special Abilities darkvision, Sneak Attack, Incisive Sense, Blessing of the Moonweaver, Cunning Action, Steady Aim, Ear for deceit, Eye for Detail, Insightful Fighting, Divination Savant, Portent | 

Attacks: Rapier | +7 | 1d8+4 pierciing, Shortbow +1 | +8 | 1d6+5 piercing (80/320 ), Dagger | +7 | 1d4+4 piercing (20/60)

Prepared Spells | Spell DC: 14 | Spell Attack +6 | Hit Dice 4d8/2d6 (6/6) | Death Saves: 0/0

Cantrips: Light, Booming Blade, Mind Sliver, Green-flame Blade, Sacred Flame, Vicious Mockery

Level 1 | (3/3) | Thunderwave, Find Familiar, Chromatic Orb, Shield, Magic Missile, Mage Armor, Healing Word (1/day), Silvery Barbs, Dissonant Whispers

Eilonwy nodded at Merlin. "Great. Magical travel should speed things up. Any idea what we might need when we get there? Do we know how long until the boat load of villains will reach Morva?" She asks.

Then she turns to Aurora, "Did you say that your fairy friends could help us find the cauldron's location?" @igordragonian12

Mechanics

MOVE: none

ACTION: none

BONUS ACTION: none

REACTION: none

CONCENTRATION: none

OOC: none

Aurora-Briar Rose- (Eladrin) Dream Cycle Druid

spacer.png

eddhttps://og.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=2887261

HP: 48/48 AC: 12(11) Intative: +1 PP: 17

Spell Slots: 1: 4/4

2: 3/3

3: 3/3

Mood: Spring.

~ ~ ~ ~

Aurora has listened to the discssions with a growing concern. Fauna was the most sensitive of the three fairies.

Aurora wanted to offer herself for the cauldron's team especialy since Rapunzel planned to join the cauldron team!

She blinked as Eilonwy turned to her.

"Yes. I will try to reach them.. unless.."

she look at Merlin.

"Sir? Can you give us a convient way to communicate with the Three Good Fairies? I believe they would have at least some wisdom to share with us"

Ursula gave a smirk to Merlin "oh I'm sure Merlin will provide you with plenty of support that is if he really wants the Sundial back in his possession." She then turned to look at Aurora when she asked Merlin to contact the three good fairies "oh this ought to be good." She commented then smirked

Merlin pulled out a glass orb and used his wand to tap on it "now let me see... ah... here they are..." He tapped the wand with a loud ping and the orb activated

"Calling Flora, Fauna and Merryweather, this is Merlin can you hear me."

A surge occurred as the orb turned a red color

"This is Flora we hear you Merlin."

The orb turned blue

"We hear you Merlin what are you calling us for."

Merlin hummed "Aurora is seeking some advice can you assist her." He then handed the orb to Aurora "here you go my dear, they are listening."

The orb turned green

"what is it Aurora?" Fauna chimed in sweetly.

Aurora-Briar Rose- (Eladrin) Dream Cycle Druid

eddhttps://og.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=2887261

HP: 48/48 AC: 12(11) Intative: +1 PP: 17

Spell Slots: 1: 4/4

2: 3/3

3: 3/3

Mood: Spring.

~ ~ ~ ~

Aurora has brightened up as she has heard the three good fairies!

She held the orb, almost hugging it.

"Flora, Fauna, Merryweather! It's always a joy to hear you!" and then with less upbeat attitude she explain.

"Sadly, it's about more then our usual catching ups, and our discussions of what is the best color. You see, my beloved fairies the villians are at it again, and Malificent is among them! And they plan to use THE black cauldron to revive Hades- The God Of The Underworld. So we must find the cauldron before they do! Do you have any wisdom and advices to share with us? Please?"

"I hope you'll allow me to pose a different question, Ursula of the dark sea. Is there anything you would be willing to trade the Sundial for? I'm still curious how the villains are planning to get their hands on it."

She wasn't expecting an honest answer, but maybe the way she phrased it would give some clue about her intentions.

OOC

Trying to discern her truthfulness, though only with a +0 modifier on Insight.