What Are You Watching?

I love that show! What a wildly unexpected delight Selena Gomez is with those two comedy legends. The whole thing is great.

As for me, right now I'm entirely obsessed with Shōgun. It's on FX, but if you have Hulu, you can watch it there too (like I do). It's flat-out the best historical fiction I've ever seen, and that's really saying something considering how much I loved The Lost Kingdom series.

Only Murders is one of the best modern shows that has originality to it. Paul Rudd's performance in season 3 is amazing as the story unfolds, and Steve Martin's song about the triplets still gets stuck in my head periodically to this day.

I'm trying to get my body ready for Shogun for when I have the time to sit down with it.

I had been wanting to watch Lioness on Paramount+ for a while and finally finished it. It hits really hard, even in a lot of the character development scenes, and the end of the last episode was something else; I legit had to pause the show to try and process what I'd just witnessed because Hollywood just "doesn't do that". Would definitely recommend for anyone who likes grit in their spy shows. Also working my way through the Diplomat on Netflix, which strums a completely different political intrigue tone.

I just finished watching 'Gangland Undercover'. It claims to be based on a true story, but I'm not sure if I believe that. I have a strange fascination with movies/tv shows that focus on bikers (Sons of Anarchy, anyone!). The weird part about it is that I've never even ridden a motorcycle, nor do I have a desire to do so.

• 2 weeks later...

You and I, as usual, are on the same page, Cai. It's my new favorite show and it's not even close. I haven't excitedly waited for a specific day of the week for a tv show's release date since Game of Thrones! If anyone isn't watching Shōgun yet, they really ought to start sooner rather than later.

40 minutes ago, Mindcrime said:

I've been waiting so that I can binge watch it. I absolutely hate that the streaming services have started releasing one episode a week.

That's a valid way to go of course but the episodes are a little over an hour long and there's not much fluff. I find its good to take a few days to absorb each one.

Watched the first episode of Fallout--aggressively not for me. I think if the action was better, I'd probably like it a little more. They are definitely playing it safe in every possible way. But I'm thrilled that the Fallout Fans are generally liking it.

Thanks to this thread, I have just added Shogun to our watch list. We'll probably wait until it is all available for watching before starting though.

We also tried the first three episodes of Invincible (season 2). It's pretty good, but nothing special. My girls and I read through the first half-dozen trades long ago, so we aren't watching Invincible to see what happens anymore. To me, there isn't much reason for it to exist otherwise. But if you haven't read Invincible and like supers cartoons, you might like it. I'm told that the season ends in the middle of the story arc without much resolution to anything, so be ready for that if that sort of thing frustrates you.

Disappearance at Clifton Hill is a pretty good neo-noir film. The ultimate resolution is not nearly as interesting as the middle part of the film, but we really enjoyed the journey getting there. The Banshees of Inisherin is excellent. One of my favs so far this year. And Men was pretty good as well, if you like that sort of thing.

We missed it in the theaters, so we are eagerly awaiting a chance to rent/buy The Boy and the Heron.

On 4/11/2024 at 12:08 PM, Choomie said:

My wife hasn't seen any of the Muppet movies so we've been slowly making our way through them.

I have only seen the Muppet Christmas Carol and, boy, have I seen it. We watch it every year. It is so good. :D I should watch the rest of them. Looks like a bunch are on Disney+. We may grab that service again over the summer to watch them.

Edited by Butchern (see edit history)