Chapter 3: Gathering Shadows

rogueblade0729

Music: Bree Music and Ambience | Day - LOTRO Soundtrack

The Prancing Pony - Spring 2948 T.A.

600px-The_Prancing_Pony_Interior.jpg

As Dandi becomes acquainted with the Company, he recalls some troubling rumors that he's been informed of.

The first bit of news is this: With the winter passed, Bree's markets are once again receiving merchants from afar. But with them has also come trouble, more than usual in recent years. Brigands have been arriving from up the Greenway and gathering in the wild corners of Bree-land, harassing both travelers and locals alike. Wolves who dwell the South Downs are starting to venture out of their hills to hunt livestock within Bree, for some unknown reason. Places of the dead like the Barrow-downs and Deadman's Dike have been more... "lively" and "noisy" as of late. Dark forces have eyes for Bree-land from beyond, and are closing in. Could this be the work of Gorlanc?

OOC

Roles for Journeys

• Guide - ?
  • Scout - Fletcher
  • Hunter - Orn
  • Look-out - Léofwyn

OOC: As far as the News From Afar ability is concerned, let's just replace 'Wilderland' with 'Eriador', since the game was originally written with the characters being east of the Misty Mountains. In The Mirkwood Campaign, it includes a useful note in regards to this ability on page 5.

News from Afar Note

Outside of the Shire, there is no postal service in Middle-earth, and certainly no newspapers. And while it seems that Elves can spread or gather information "as quick as water flows, or quicker", they rarely share what they know with other folks. More often than not, tidings go far and wide only through the gossip of wandering merchants and in the close-mouthed grumblings of travelling Dwarves, and may even become difficult to separate from wild tales and distorted rumours.

Without the intervention of envoys or messengers, it might take one full year, sometimes more, for characters in Wilderland to learn of events happening elsewhere in the region, and from 2 to 5 years for news from outside Wilderland to reach them, and at least 3 to 8 years for news out of the South, East or West. Characters proficient with Lore may be able to get news faster, or have access to better sources. Furthermore, many powerful individuals either have their own networks of informants and messengers, or else have some way of getting information quickly. Radagast, for example, has his flocks of birds; Beorn has his animals and can travel swiftly by night – but even a Wizard must go in search of rumours and news. In Middle-earth, miles are miles, and someone has to cross them to bring word from afar.

So, here is how I will interpret this:

• For news within your local area, you'll get news from within the last season or two. This includes where you are and the places directly adjacent to you, so Bree-land, the Shire, Evendim, the North Downs, the South Downs, the Weather Hills, the Old Forest, and the Barrow-downs.
  • For news elsewhere in the Eriador, you'll get news from last year. This includes Eastern EriadorRivendell, the Lone-lands, the Trollshaws, the Angle, the High Pass, the Redhorn Pass, Eregion, Southern EriadorTharbad, Swanfleet, Minhiriath, Dunland, Enedwaith, Northern EriadorAngmar, Forochel, Ettenmoors, Coldfells, and Western EriadorThe Blue Mountains, East Lune, the Grey Havens, the Tower Hills, Lindon
  • For news outside of Eriador, you'll get news from 2-3 years ago. This includes the two neighboring regions: Wilderland and Rohan.
  • For news out of the South or East (you're currently in the West), you'll get news from 4-5 years ago. This includes anywhere else: Gondor, Mordor, and Rhun.

As a Scholar, you have proficiency in Lore, so the times have been reduced from what it suggests in that note. If you can get Expertise in Lore, I'll reduce them even more. Whenever you use News from Afar, I will always give you news from within your local area first. Then, I will let you decide which other region you want to gain news from. Obviously for more secretive places like the Angle or Rivendell, you may not glean as much information, but that's for you to decide.

Roll20 Map

To Post: Everyone!

@codexgigas @Old_Skuul @Papa Bear @grimlock

image.jpeg.73940120db5f4a4029590082d07a0a45.jpegOrn, Son of Thain

Weaponmaster

#3 HP: 32 / 32          AC: 20 (16)           Second Wind: Yes          Action Surge: Yes    Shadow: 2       Character Sheet

Orn drains another mug of ale and orders up yet another. "I've seen the dead." Orn says, his mind growing blurry. "White things, it was. An' a big scary ogre... wait, what were we talking about?"

"The news master Dwarf, the news, heh heh," offers Dandi with a smile. He begins to pull out his pipe and prepare it for a good long conversation. He has often found it his best friend when serious thinking must be done. "You all seem to be very well informed and have seen things I have only heard of. I've never seen anything that was dead act like it was still alive," he shrugs as he looks at Orn. "And yet I did hear something about that recently. It was said that in the Barrow Downs or was it the Deadman's Dike, that dead things were stirring. I assumed it was just a fairy tale to scare someone. But from what you seem to be saying, these rumors are actually true then?" Dandi starts puffing on his pipe and after a long exhale he continues, "You have to understand, these sorts of things are completely nonexistent in the Shire." After a pause of reflection Dandi continues, "Perhaps you could shed some light on some other rumors I have heard as well. I have heard there is a wolf problem in Bree! Wild wolves running rampant in a civilized space is quite out of the ordinary. And Bandits along the roads, harassing travelers, perhaps due to the upturn of trade and business of late? And a name...what was it...Morgank...ah...Lorgank..."

Weaponmaster

#3 HP: 32 / 32          AC: 20 (16)           Second Wind: Yes          Action Surge: Yes    Shadow: 2       Character Sheet

Orn's eyes light up when the halfling pulls out his pipe and pouch of pipe weed. "Have ye a little weed ye can share, master Hobbit?" he asks, pulling out his own pipe. Orn was a dwarf of means, but he'd already smoked his stash of tobacco.

Dandi points a finger at Orn and leans towards him, "YOU...are in luck sir. Indeed I do...AND...Longbottom leaf no less," Dandi says with a chuckle of pride. "Here you are."

Amdiran, Son of Amdirgir Dunédain Warden (Counselor) 4
spacer.png

AC: 15/17 | HP: 27/27 | HD: 4/4d8 | Initiative: +4 | Passive Perception: 17 | Warden's Gift: 3/3 | Discourse 1/1 | Foresight: 1/1
Shadow Points: 3 | DM Inspiration: 0/1

Amdiran starts as Dandi begins speaking of the rumors which have reached even the Shire. "The name you heard, was it Gorlanc?" he asks, his voice low and urgent. He leans toward the hobbit, his pipe smoke wreathing his face.

He takes another pull on his pipe, breathing out smoke rings as he thinks on what Dandi has said. "Gorlanc is the shadow at the edge of my nightmares," he says at length. "We know little of him, and that troubles me. He is a sorcerer, and he has stirred up trouble in Bree for the last few years. He is drawing outlaws to himself, and he and roused at least one wight to leave its barrow."

He takes a drink of his ale, and wonders to himself. They say there is a core of steel beneath a hobbit's skin. Is this Dandi Puddifoot made of sterner stuff than he appears? Dare I push him to test his mettle, or will it break him?

"And yes, Master Puddifoot, if these troubles cross the Brandywine, then they would be in the Shire. Or, Buckland at the least. I don't recall if you shared which Farthing you hail from," he says. "As to how it may be stopped, that is what we aim to find. If you would protect your home, then I would have you join us." He looks at Orn and Léofwyn. "What say you?"

Tabletop

Leofwyn
Léofwyn (Rohirrim Knight level 3)

AC: 17/18* | HP: 29/29 | Initiative: +2 | Passive Perception: 15 | Insight: 11 | Speed: 30 ft
Inspiration: 0 | Shadow: 4 |Action Surge: 1 | Second Wind: 1 | Mark of Honor: 1 | Sworn Defender: - 

Dwarven Broad Sword | Spear | Short Bow | Dagger 

Aelfric (Warhorse, Large) | AC: 12 | HP: 38 Speed: 60ft | Passive Perception: 11 Hooves Trained Warhorse

Léofwyn's demeaner sobers at the mention of the wight. Her eyes seem to be fixed afar for a moment. She lets out a short cough as a cloud of pipe smoke wafts into her. She frowns and waves it away as her attention returns.

Léofwyn considers Fletcher's invitation for a brief moment then nods in agreement. "It would be good to have another among us." She turns to Dandi with a smile, "Tell me, Master Puddifoot, do you know how to ride? We do intend to move with some haste if we are to get ahead of Gorlanc."

Show this

Edited by grimlock (see edit history)

Weaponmaster

Having earned a loyal and lasting friend out of Orn, the Hobbit sees a fond smile on the Dwarf's face as he lights his long stemmed clay pipe with an imposing dwarven king's face glaring out from the barrel. Orn was barely following the conversation but still spits on the floorboards when he hears Gorlanc's name, uttering a dwarfish curse under his breath. 'I really ought to procure a barrel of this Long bottom leaf when I return to the lonely mountain. The men of Lake town sell it to us, but why shouldn't my kinsman pay me instead of those swamp dwellers." Long Lake was hardly a 'swamp' and Orn knew it. One only had a o look out from a ledge on the Lonely Mountain to see that. But Orn didn't much care for the lake-men.

It didn't even register to the dwarf that he was derailing the discussion as he puffed happily on the excellent halfling tobacco.

Edited by Papa Bear (see edit history)

image.png.03909d1595567e8c347ac86a95a69c1d.png

Dandifred(Dandi) Puddifoot Hobbit Treasure Hunter 2/Scholar 1

Dandi's eyes light up at the sight of Orn's beautiful pipe, "Oh that is very nice!"

Upon hearing Amdiran speak "Gorlanc" he turns his attention to the Dundedain. "Yes, yes that was it! It was Gorlanc." As Amdiran continues speaking, Dandi quietly listens and considers his words as he puffs thoughtfully. He thinks to himself "So, this Gorlanc fellow is some sort of ringleader behind all sorts of trouble and they are not sure how to stop him." This intrigues Dandi as he considers himself a puzzle solver of sorts, perhaps he could help them solve this mystery. "Westfarthing, Michel Delving" he answers with a nod. "These folk are tackling a problem for the good of many, this is a noble endeavor. By joining them I would be protecting the Shire." Mystery and Protection, two deeply motivational themes for this Hobbit are on the table before him. But there is also danger, and unpleasantness. Now is the time to choose. "Master Fletcher, I do see that you three are working for the cause of good here. I truly applaud your efforts." After a solemn moment he continues, "Unfortunately, I am afraid I simply cannot join you...you see, my hat is in no condition for any sort of adventuring," he says as he pokes his finger through the hole in his hat and looks up at them with a mischievous smile. "Then again, perhaps it IS time to broaden my horizons. I, Dandifred Puddifoot, would be honored to join your fine company. I am at your service," he says with a bow.

To Leofwyn he says, "I would not call it riding my lady, perhaps holding on for dear life is more like it. But hold on I will if that is required. I may be best suited as a sort of scout. I am very good at making myself difficult to see, but I will help however I can. I do not own a pony or a horse, perhaps I can ride along with you? You all have made me feel very welcome, and I truly thank you."

Edited by Old_Skuul (see edit history)

Amdiran, Son of Amdirgir Dunédain Warden (Counselor) 4
spacer.png

AC: 15/17 | HP: 27/27 | HD: 4/4d8 | Initiative: +4 | Passive Perception: 17 | Warden's Gift: 3/3 | Discourse 1/1 | Foresight: 1/1
Shadow Points: 3 | DM Inspiration: 0/1

"We are agreed then," Amdiran says to Dandi, clasping the hobbit's hand. "Léofwyn is a master judge of horseflesh, so I am sure she can help find you a pony."

The Ranger smiles at Orn. "Shire weed may be good, but there's less trade in Bree's. You could be the first to bring Southlinch to the Lonely Mountain and undercut the Lakemen's prices," he says, puffing on his own pipe. He wants to see the Shire safe and its people protected, but Amdiran has a fondness for Bree-folk. He finds himself sticking up for their stubborn ways more and more often these days.

Tabletop

Leofwyn

AC: 17/18* | HP: 29/29 | Initiative: +2 | Passive Perception: 15 | Insight: 11 | Speed: 30 ft
Inspiration: 0 | Shadow: 4 |Action Surge: 1 | Second Wind: 1 | Mark of Honor: 1 | Sworn Defender: - 

Aelfric (Warhorse, Large) | AC: 12 | HP: 38 Speed: 60ft | Passive Perception: 11 Hooves Trained Warhorse

Léofwyn smiles politely at Dandi, "Welcome, there is an extra pony since Galian's departure. It should be to your liking. As for my horse, I am afraid he does not tolerate other riders. But if you fancy a new hat, I believe that there is a hatter among the merchants at Three-Farrow Hall, near the East Gate."

OOC

I figure Léofwyn would have stabled the ponies that the party purchased over the winter. Likely with Knut or Butterbur.

image.png.03909d1595567e8c347ac86a95a69c1d.png

Dandifred(Dandi) Puddifoot Hobbit Treasure Hunter 2/Scholar 1

"Very good, I should like to visit the hatter before we go then. By the way what is your next play at this mysterious business concerning..." Dandi leans in and lowers his voice to a whisper as he continues, "Gorlanc." He hesitated to say the name based on the previous reactions of his new friends. As he says the name, he looks around to see if anyone else is paying attention to them. Still whispering, "Do you know where he is or who is working with him?" Dandi's pipeweed has reached its sweet spot and his brain is ready for a problem to solve.

Edited by Old_Skuul (see edit history)

Posted (edited)

Music: Ruins and Hills - LOTRO Soundtrack

Bree - Spring 2948 T.A.

Bree.PNG.e7122bbe389920566eb4806610e60d93.PNG

(Note: this image is facing East)

With the Company's plan set, they gathered their belongings, closed out their tabs, and set off from the Pony. As it is currently in the late morning, Bree's streets are fairly busy with activity: merchants setting up shop in the marketplace, townies heading to and from work, travelers passing by, children playing Elves and Goblins, and so on. After retrieving their horses from the Pony's stables, they mounted up and began to make for Archet.

There are a few routes they can take to make this trip:

1. If the Company travels North, they will arrive at the Rangers' door, a secretive side path that leads to the Greenway. It is used by travelers, such as the Dunedain it is named after, to slip in and out of town subtly. From there, they can follow the road for a time, then cut east into the Chetwood and on to Archet. While this path is both challenging to travel and costly in terms of time, it does offers the most protection from any potential watchers.

[Greater stealth, at the cost of time]

2. If the Company travels Northeast, they will make a steep climb up and over Bree-hill. They will then have to descend into the Chetwood by cutting through Staddle and taking the Stile of Combe, a path which is said to be in horrible disrepair after floods from the Fell Winter. However, it is the most well-known shortcut and will most likely save the Company time, if they can successfully traverse it.

[Faster time, at the cost of danger]

3. If the Company travels South, they will pass through one of Bree's main gates and emerge on the East Road. From there, it is a simple matter of traveling east, then turning north along the marked path. They will then have to pass through the valley of Combe before entering the Chetwood, but it is the most well-used road to Archet by the Big and Little Folk of Bree.

[Least danger, at the cost of stealth]

4. If the Company travels West, they will pass through one of Bree's main gates and emerge on the Greenway. From there, they can travel north for a time, then cut east into the Chetwood. This path is not commonly taken by the Men of Bree, but it is a nice middle ground if one desires a balance of priorities.

[No bonuses or penalties to stealth, time, or danger]

OOC

Roles for Journeys

• Guide - Amdiran
  • Scout - Dandi
  • Hunter - Orn
  • Look-out - Léofwyn

OOC: The Company sets out from the Prancing Pony to head for Archet! The Roll20 map has been updated, so you should all now be able to see the map of Bree-land.

Go ahead and decide which of the four routes you all would like to head in! This will determine what Journey Event you may encounter along the way, as well as other factors currently in play.

Guide, we will need an Embarkation check. This roll is 1d12 + your proficiency bonus (if proficient in Survival) + half your Wisdom modifier. This is subtracted from the Peril Rating, which is currently 1.

Roll20 Map

To Post: Everyone!

Edited by rogueblade0729 (see edit history)

Posted (edited)

Music: Ruins and Hills - LOTRO Soundtrack

Bree - Mid-Spring 2948 T.A.

Bree.PNG.e7122bbe389920566eb4806610e60d93.PNG

(Note: this image is facing East)

After some debate, the Company decided to appease the grumpy dwarf take the fastest route to Archet. As they spurred their horses onward, they looked up to see a brief break in the clouds, and a ray of sunlight basked them in its glow. To those who heed such things, it is as good of an auspice as one could ask for in these troubling times.

The climb up Bree-hill is a rather steep one, even on horseback. Each beast of burden dug their hooves into the dirt with each step, breathing hard along the most difficult parts of the climb. But they crossed the heights in no time, and a gentle breeze awaited them at the top. More patches of snow could be spotted atop the hill, remnants of a season that will not trouble them for many days.

Cutting through Staddle was easy, with the Little Folk generally steering clear of the big, bothersome horse-riders. Descending the Stile of Combe was tricky, but it seemed that, at least for now, the rumors of its complete disrepair were somewhat exaggerated. But as they traveled further down into the vale, with the expanse of the Chetwood spread before them, Léofwyn's gaze was drawn into the forest...

OOC

Roles for Journeys

• Guide - Amdiran
  • Scout - Dandi
  • Hunter - Orn
  • Look-out - Léofwyn

OOC: With an Embarkation roll of 12, you all benefit From Auspicious Beginnings. You gain Advantage on all ability checks made during the coming Journey Event(s).

Léofwyn the Look-out must now make a Perception (Wisdom) check!

Roll20 Map

To Post: Léofwyn (Perception check)

Edited by rogueblade0729 (see edit history)
Name
Journey Event
1d12+2 9

Leofwyn

AC: 17/18* | HP: 29/29 | Initiative: +2 | Passive Perception: 13 | Insight: 11 | Speed: 30 ft
Inspiration: 1 | Shadow: 4 |Action Surge: 1 | Second Wind: 1 | Mark of Honor: 1 | Sworn Defender: - 

Léofwyn was glad to be underway again with her companions. The cool spring air was invigorating as they rode out of Bree and towards the Chetwood. She paused at the top of the hill reigning Aelfric in and peered down towards the forest ahead.

OOC

Scanning the forest.

Name
Perception (with advantage)
11; 4
1d20+3;1d20+3 [8]; [8,1]

ร—
ร—