PbP through the mail

• 1 month later...
On 3/26/2024 at 3:23 AM, Firestorm7120 said:

Yep, that's what I was afraid of. Appreciate the feedback, though. It looks like technological advancements are dooming things like this and print magazine/newspaper services.

Hello -

Please, just curious, and the following is a naive with good intention question.

Why use paper letters instead of digital for pbp?

Thanks!

So much easier to draw a map on paper! I love drawing maps on paper but trying to do it online is infuriating for me and I have been avoiding it at all costs.

I never thought about playing D&D through the mail, but I guess I would do it if you paid me enough.

Years ago, I was involved in the magazine & newspaper marketing business but even then, it soon became apparent to me that printed periodicals versus online media was going to be like the dinosaurs versus the meteorite.

Edited by KingArthur
added the missing word "at" (see edit history)

2 minutes ago, Suzuki Stumpy said:

So, why not hand-draw your maps and then scan them into the computer?

Because I don't have a scanner! I guess I have the budget to go get one so I could make use of it, but I have the tendencies of both a miser and a Neo-Luddite.

3 hours ago, KingArthur said:

Because I don't have a scanner! I guess I have the budget to go get one so I could make use of it, but I have the tendencies of both a miser and a Neo-Luddite.

Does it exist in America libraries or Universities where you can access public computers and scanners? Just a thought.

I enjoy drawing stuff too, sounds great to draw a world map, but it just not practical since i only play in PBP. Only a few time I played table top.

7 hours ago, Nebula said:

Does it exist in America libraries or Universities where you can access public computers and scanners? Just a thought.

I enjoy drawing stuff too, sounds great to draw a world map, but it just not practical since i only play in PBP. Only a few time I played table top.

Don't let that stop you. I scan or take pictures of my hand made/drawn setups all the time for PbP on this site. I'm personally all about finding ways to insert hand drawn stuff into this digital medium. It adds a great touch, I think.

here's a dungeon map

Screenshot2024-05-07122434.png.6d190185ba0c93e807b340c5889db705.png

the entrance to a dungeon

FingerCanyonsToweroutsidea.jpg.02777a8d6fc0de4fadb51025451c6fb3.jpg

take pictures of home tabletop too

20240207_061114.jpg.257251d7eaec9be1f39c9d5aadd1dd56.jpg

I think the idea of play by mail sounds great too, and regret missing out on trying that when I was younger. You could even do it without the mail. Like if you have local friends who want to play but don't have the time or schedules for it, just hand them the paper and go for it.

Just use a smartphone to take pix of your hand drawn maps. Or if you want to get official, there are apps to use your phone as a scanner (primarily to extract text for pdf)

Although it would be painfully slow (which may be ok for some types of games; see for example epistolary RPGs on itch.io) snail-mail would be a more sensory experience-paper is more tactile, after all, and it has a smell, and hand-writing could be more immersive... I do a bit of analogue journalling with my kid and it's sometimes preferable over screen-staring.

It could be cool for some types of games, I think!