Act One: On the road

8w_gremlin

"Northsta' preserve...were nae a beast wot did the poor man. This be bladework - an' skillful, too."

He carefully maneuvers the head, exposing twinned holes on either side of the neck lain open by the gash - the jugulars and carotids.

"Killer slit both vessels o' the neck asides the throat. Some cutthroats pull the head back, bu' tha' hides away the vessels. Makes the cut only hi' th' airpipe. If'n they die, 'tis slow an' painful. Push the head for'ard o'er the blade, though, an' ye get this. Man bled out a'fore the minute was over. An' the smell o' blood like as drew the beasties tae feast."

Ellu breathes a sigh of relief when the muscled faun comes over to handle the heavy lifting. Nervous at the looming sunset, Ellu waves a hand above themself. The familiar crackle of electricity spins into tiny, blinking motes reminiscent of fireflies that spread outward.

((OOC: Ellu has +2 Instinct. Spending that hope Hope to add my Elemental Origin Foundation ability to the roll for an additional +2.))

Instinct

Name
Instinct
2d12+4 10,12

Posted (edited)

Screenshot2024-04-12174459.png.eb3fb5f0b83f1473955c972cc8a5cac8.pngIvy and Ellu's heads snap up from the wagon, their eyes locking onto shadowy figures closing in fast. Four Thistlefolk spring forth, "Ambush!" cuts through the tense air.

Everyone reacts instantly—scrambling for weapons, conjuring spells. As the figures emerge from the underbrush, the group readies themselves, poised on the edge of a violent clash. The moment to fight has arrived.

OOC

I was hoping it would have been someone not already involved in searching the wagon. Which was taking Ivy's focus, and not on the surroundings.
But as it's a critical success I'll let you take it.

Who wants to go first?

The Thistlefolk are at Close Range

Actions: 0, Fear: 1

Ellu that was a success with fear (GM gains a fear)
Ivy had a crit success (Gain Hope and clear a Stress point)

Edited by 8w_gremlin (see edit history)

spacer.png
Yhen Davasdrend

Agility +1

Strength -1

Finesse +1

Instinct +0

Presence +0

Knowledge +2

Evasion: 9 | Armour: 5 | Armour Slots ☐ ☐ ☐ ☐ ☐ ☐ ☐| HP ☐ ☐ ☐ ☐ ☐ ☐ | Stress ☐ ☐ ☐ ☐ ☐ | Hope ☐ ☐ ☐
Breastplate Armour | Greatstaff | Glowing Rings | Scholar of Magic (+2) | Wilderness Expert (+1)

Domain Effects
Book of Ava
Book of Tyfar

Features
Prestidigitation
Strange Patterns [1]

School of War (Knowledge)
• Gain armour slot.
Attack with Fear, deal +1d10

Daemon
Fearless
Dread Visage

Loreborne
Well-Read

Already leaning out of the Wagon, Yhen only had to straighten and reach out, aiming for one of the nasty little creatures, an near-invisible pulse flows from her hand and hammers the thistlefolk

Looks like success with hope.

Power Push is a Spellcast roll to hit anything in Melee range (i'm not 100% sure but i think melee range is the same as Close range but i'm trying to find out. If it hits, they are blasted back to Far range

I still really need to conceptualise the 'ranges'

Name
Instinct
2d12+2 4,2
Hope
1d12 12
Fear
1d12 6
Damage
1d10 8

BugSorc.png.f69f233428db0e6a2cc9f931151995dc.pngEllu Minayum

Evasion: 10 (flying) | Armor Score: 3 |

Armor Slots ☐ ☐ ☐ ☐ ☐ ☐ | HP ☐ ☐ ☐ ☐ ☐ ☐ | Stress ▣ ☐ ☐ ☐ ☐ ☐ |

Hope ▣ ▣ ▣ ☐ ☐

Passive: Arcane Sense (class)

Reactions: Luckbender (per session)

Token actions this combat: 1

Ellu swears under their breath. "I think we found the blades that did it, Kurith. Or maybe they found us."

First thing first: Ellu's cape flared wide, until it was clear it wasn't all cape. Their wings beat furiously, their pattern while in motion creating the optical illusion that the stout faerie was floating between the bloodthirsty eyes of a predator. Crystals crackled with lightning on either end of their dualstaff before arcing through the air toward the assailants.

(OOC: Spending a stress to fly for 1 minute, which also bumps Evasion +1 to 10. Ascending with my movement, then making a dualstaff attack (Far range).

Edit: 21 with Hope (added to block above), 8 damage. If Yhen's target was still in range, I'd start with that one. If not, whoever's closest after that.)

Dual Staff Attack, Damage

Edited by jkason
Roll results. (see edit history)
Name
Dual Staff Attack, Damage
21; 8
2d12+2;1d6+3 [10,9]; [10,9,5]

Yhen charges forward, her strike sending a thistle-folk flying back to crash onto the rough ground with a sickening thud. Blood trickles ominously from its nose and ears as it struggles to rise. Above, Ellu soars into the sky, her wings vibrating with a fierce battle rhythm. With determination, she aims her dual staff and unleashes a devastating blast, knocking the beleaguered creature off its feet, its body tumbling helplessly to the ground once more, it does not appear to be moving.

OOC

Both Success with Hope: gain a Hope

Thistle-folk #1 dead
Thistle-folk #2
Thistle-folk #3
Thistle-folk #4

• Actions: Yhen, Ellu
  • Fear: 1

Players still up

Ivy produced a surprisingly loud ear-piercing whistle warning those around about ambush and took to the air. From that vantage point, she chose the closest attacker and sent her magical knife flying.

(OOC: Do I need to spend Hope for flying in this situation?)

Name
Attack
1d20+2 16
Damage
1d8+1 5

Kurith snapped around, seeing the thistlefolk charging out of the underbrush. He slammed his fists together, and the sigils on his gauntlets flared to light as he ran forward with a loud yell, aiming to deliver a devastating gutpunch to the one nearest to his halberd.

Name
Hope + Strength
1d12+2 6
Fear
1d12 5
Magic Damage
1d10+4 2

12 hours ago, Dixi said:

Ivy produced a surprisingly loud ear-piercing whistle warning those around about ambush and took to the air. From that vantage point, she chose the closest attacker and sent her magical knife flying.

(OOC: Do I need to spend Hope for flying in this situation?)

OOC

Any action you take has to make the 2d12 roll, one is hope, and one is fear, I think you made a d20 roll only; can you roll 2 d12 and add your bonus, thanks.

As for flying, it's on your character sheet, mark a stress
image.png.f423e987804e61b7950deca037698131.png

Stress

When an effect requires you to mark a Stress Point, do so on your character sheet. Whenever you mark your last Stress, you become Vulnerable until you either clear at least 1 Stress or clear the Vulnerable condition through other means (such as a spell, ability, or GM fiat).

If you’re ever forced to mark a Stress Point but your slots are already full, you must instead mark a Hit Point.

Vulnerable

While you are Vulnerable, all rolls targeting you have Advantage.

If you’re already Vulnerable, you ignore effects that would make you vulnerable again.

Advantage
Advantage represents an opportunity, through either magical or mundane means, that you seize upon to increase your chances of success. When you roll with advantage, you roll an extra d12 Hope die and pick whichever Hope die result you prefer. (for NPCs it's 2d20)

OOC: My bad. Was sure Attack Rolls are special and utilize d20 (they do but for enemies only, right?) Re-rolling below.

Btw, is it possible to make CS on Demiplane editable by DM? Not saying we need it now, but some DMs do like to handle HP and consumables by themselves.

17 with modifier 6+9+2 (End result: -1 Hope, +1 Stress. Since the resulting Hope was bigger than Fear, no Fear added?)

Edited by Dixi (see edit history)
Name
Hope
1d12 4
Fear
1d12 6
Re-roll (spending) Hope
1d12 9

Posted (edited)

Kurith's blow connects to the Thistlefolk, who nearly doubles over in pain, but still manages to stand, with a wicked grin, the ambusher tries to stab Kurith. The blow from Ivy's knife thuds heavily into the chest of one of the other Thistlefolk, who winces in pain at the attack, charging forth to get with in attack range.

Off to the side, the last Thistlefolk moves swiftly towards your now empty carriage and the package it contains...

OOC, Mechanics

Both Success with Hope: gain a Hope

Thistle-folk #1 dead
Thistle-folk #2 wounded
Thistle-folk #3 wounded
Thistle-folk #4

• Actions: Yhen, Ellu, Ivy, Lex
  • Fear: 1  0 used to take actions

GM using 3 actions

Thistle-folk #3 Attack Kurith 6 vs Evasion, 7 damage
Thistle-folk #2 Attack Ivy 10 vs Evasion, 12 damage
Thistle-folk #4 Moves

Edited by 8w_gremlin (see edit history)
Name
Attack Kurith, damage
6; 7
1d20+1;2d8+1 [5]; [5,4,2]
Attack Ivy, damage
10; 12
1d20+1;2d8+1 [9]; [9,7,4]

OOC: Technically, Ivy was flying, so, a melee attack should not reach her? But let's say it did. Her Evasion is 12, so, should be a miss.

Ivy flew higher with angry chirping (well, muttering curses but from a distance and in her voice it could sound sweet enough). "Take this, you miserable jabber!" hissed she, sending her knife flying again.

(11+2=13 with Hope)

Edited by Dixi (see edit history)
Name
Hope
1d12 8
Fear
1d12 3
Potential damage
1d8+1 6

Ivy's dagger strikes true...

2 hours ago, Dixi said:

OOC: Technically, Ivy was flying, so, a melee attack should not reach her? But let's say it did. Her Evasion is 12, so, should be a miss.

OOC

1. Sorry to say but that's what the +1 on evasion is for, flying doesn't give you any other benefits. it doesn't keep you out of range or move you out of melee.
2. you killed the thistle-folk, care to describe you you do it.
3. gain a hope

Thistle-folk #1 dead
Thistle-folk #2 dead
Thistle-folk #3 wounded
Thistle-folk #4

• Actions: Lex, Ivy
  • Fear:  0 

spacer.png
Yhen Davasdrend

Agility +1

Strength -1

Finesse +1

Instinct +0

Presence +0

Knowledge +2

Evasion: 9 | Armour: 5 | Armour Slots ☐ ☐ ☐ ☐ ☐ ☐ ☐| HP ☐ ☐ ☐ ☐ ☐ ☐ | Stress ☐ ☐ ☐ ☐ ☐ | Hope ☐ ☐ ☐
Breastplate Armour | Greatstaff | Glowing Rings | Scholar of Magic (+2) | Wilderness Expert (+1)

Domain Effects
Book of Ava
Book of Tyfar

Features
Prestidigitation
Strange Patterns [1]

School of War (Knowledge)
• Gain armour slot.
Attack with Fear, deal +1d10

Daemon
Fearless
Dread Visage

Loreborne
Well-Read

Yhen moves up closer to the broken wagon and once again summons her magic, the ground around the creature fighting her pixie companion swirls with mist and frost before jagged shards of ice erupt around it.

Success with fear, that means i can add +1d10 damage

Total of 6 damage

Name
Spellcasting - Hope
1d12 9
Spellcasting - Fear
1d12 11
Ice damage
1d6 5
Fear damage
1d10 1

The icy spell struck the bizarre creature with lethal precision, sending it crashing to the ground. Yet, as you battled the thistle-folk assaulting your comrades, you failed to notice the last one slithering silently toward your unguarded carriage. It rifled through your belongings with greedy claws, seizing the large, shield-sized package. A sinister chuckle escaped its twisted lips as it prepared to flee into the shadowy forest, clutching your precious cargo.

OOC

Thistle-folk #1 Dead
Thistle-folk #2 Dead
Thistle-folk #3 Dead
Thistle-folk #4 Moved, Searched

• Actions: Lex, Ivy, Yhen
  • Fear:  1 

Players are up again.
Map updated, and you should be able to move your own tokens.