OOC Chat

Trish_the_Nugg_Queen

Their belief system only work with things they fabricate themselves, and it is limited to the limit of their logic/belief.

Good thing for the galaxy, the Orks are very simple minded

Am I silly for asking if they want the artifact destroyed? Is there an unspoken rule that all artifacts ought to be retrieved for research or something along those lines?

By the way, is requesting aerial bombardment (or atmospheric bombardment) something you can do in 30k? I guess that's at least three questions in one:

1. Can the people on the ground communicate with the people the voidships without having a psyker with the relevant powers?

2. Does some sort of tactical bombardment -- that is, not blowing up the entire planet, but hitting a moderately small area -- exist?

3. How good/bad is the accuracy? Are we talking meters/yards away from the target area, or kilometers/miles?

I think it is a great question; I suspect we are to retrieve it, but it is also nice to know our options when we are in a bit of a pickle.

Edit: I think there is an unspoken rule that (human) artifacts are generally sought to be retrieved for our own use1, but the calculation can be different if there is a significant chance of failure. For Xenos artifacts I'd say it completely depends.

Edit 2: I would not be surprised if our Techpriest would have some sort of fit over this outcome thought. I forgot we are talking about a Xenos artifact here.

Regarding your other questions:

1. The Core Rule Book (CRB) has a Vox-Caster on pg.176 which can be used to communicate with a ship in orbit.
  2. Rites of Battle has various naval assets which can be (potentially) requisitioned: ex. a Lance/Torpedo Strike, High Altitude Bombing run, or Close Air Support. These do all require more than the starting Renown though, so I don't think they will be available unless our DM is extremely nice to us.
  3. Depends on the asset ;-), but the Lance strike is accurate to about 1km or when it misses, it is off by 1km/DoS, whereas a strafing run is basically an ally shooting a las- and/or autocannon at the target and hopefully hitting. So unless we are in melee, the chance of us getting hit are rather slim (Unless our DM is rather devious ;-) ).

1) from my understanding, and I could be incorrect here, almost everything from the Dark Age of Technology seen as Sacred, with the exception of AI, and possibly cloning.

Edited by luctius (see edit history)

Question mainly for our DM, but partially for everyone.

Degei is able to use Augury via the Emperor's Tarot, to gain insights into the near future. I am however struggling slightly how to use this in a PbP setting. Ideally, Degei would like to ask everyone if they would sit with him for a Tarot session before the mission. Now, not every marine might not be eager to participate, but if we play it like that it could still disrupt the flow if we play it like that.

So a few questions:

• Triss: Do you mind the use of Divination powers?
  • How do you handle things like Augury?
  • Would you like this to be role-played, or just be an off the screen roll.
  • Do you mind if Degei invites the rest for such sessions, or would you prefer that Degei keeps this to himself?
  • If you do like to roleplay this out, what form do you suggest this takes?
  • Everyone: Would your marine like to participate in such a session, given your attitude towards psykers/librarians in general and Degei in particular?
Edited by luctius (see edit history)

24 minutes ago, luctius said:
  • Everyone: Would your marine like to participate in such a session, given your attitude towards psykers/librarians in general and Degei in particular?

Edryc "Shadow" Morrigan would normally be skeptical of the psychically "gifted" Librarian, but he is intrigued by Degei so far and would participate in such a session. I would be happy to role-play it out.

7 hours ago, luctius said:

Degei is able to use Augury via the Emperor's Tarot, to gain insights into the near future. I am however struggling slightly how to use this in a PbP setting. Ideally, Degei would like to ask everyone if they would sit with him for a Tarot session before the mission. Now, not every marine might not be eager to participate, but if we play it like that it could still disrupt the flow if we play it like that.

So a few questions:

• Do you mind if Degei invites the rest for such sessions, or would you prefer that Degei keeps this to himself?

If you want to do Augury for the roleplaying, I'm game. Zorael will have no complaints. His Primarch is well known for his visions of the future.

If the intention is to do it for game benefits... it's a little more fuzzy. You need to ask a question, and at PR 1-3, you'll only "determine the most dangerous opposition that the subject will face." It's very unlikely that the results will vary between each of the Astartes as long as we're planning to stick together. You may also just get a simple answer such as "greenskins", which doesn't help us a whole lot.

I'll be honest; I feel Augury is somewhat useless on most missions. It has its uses; if we were heading down to a planet and had no idea what we'd face, it'd be great to know what we're up against. That allows us to requisition weapons/equipment specifically to handle that challenge. But unless an entirely different type of Xenos is besieging the moon, I doubt we'll be surprised.

Yeah, I'd be shocked if we encounter anything other than Orks at this juncture.

That said, knowing if a Nob or other powerful Ork unit is planetside could have its uses.

Practically speaking, it seems like recovering the data/artifact is our Primary Objective while recovering Valenthius is our Secondary Objective. This governs our Experience and Renown Rewards for the mission itself.

Edited by Maester1216 (see edit history)

15 hours ago, Ayeba said:

If the intention is to do it for game benefits... it's a little more fuzzy. You need to ask a question, and at PR 1-3, you'll only "determine the most dangerous opposition that the subject will face." It's very unlikely that the results will vary between each of the Astartes as long as we're planning to stick together. You may also just get a simple answer such as "greenskins", which doesn't help us a whole lot.

I'll be honest; I feel Augury is somewhat useless on most missions. It has its uses; if we were heading down to a planet and had no idea what we'd face, it'd be great to know what we're up against. That allows us to requisition weapons/equipment specifically to handle that challenge. But unless an entirely different type of Xenos is besieging the moon, I doubt we'll be surprised.

Right, the in-game benefits will indeed be slight, especially in the beginning. There is a good change the same answer will be provided for us all. But as Maester said, it might give us a clue as to what kind of enemy would be the most dangerous (ex. hordes, Nob, Vehicle, etc.), or even provide a vague hint of some twist to come. Provided I make my roll (my suggestion is that I don't make the roll. I'd rather not know how accurate the information is).

That said, maybe it is a bit too much to ask everybody. Perhaps a better idea is to perform the ritual for a different marine for each mission?

As a side note, I will be unable (or at-least limited in my ability) to post for the next two days as I will be traveling.

Hey y'all sorry for the silence! I've been traveling, was in Amsterdam all week but heading home tomorrow.

As for the Augury sessions, Madoc would be a wary but willing participant. Not inherently distrustful of psykers or librarians, but most Death Guard put their faith in brawn rather than brains, so to speak. Happy to play it out in RP PbP or privately, at the GM's preference.

I should be able to respond in RP within a day or two, but I don't really have much in-character to add so Trish if you'd like to move things along, please don't wait on my behalf!

Vulkar would join too, not as a participant but an observer. He's skeptic and distrustful of psykers, but would still be there out of academic curiosity.

On 4/27/2024 at 5:41 AM, luctius said:

So a few questions:

I'm fine with using divination/augury, though as others have pointed out the answers can often be vague, cryptic, or too broad to be useful. In other games (not just in DW) I've found that similar powers can be good for giving the GM a way to nudge things in the right direction in-character, so it can still be useful. I think playing out a traditional ritual for some of these rolls would be a neat RP moment 😄

On 4/27/2024 at 5:25 AM, Ayeba said:

Am I silly for asking if they want the artifact destroyed? Is there an unspoken rule that all artifacts ought to be retrieved for research or something along those lines?

By the way, is requesting aerial bombardment (or atmospheric bombardment) something you can do in 30k? I guess that's at least three questions in one:

1. Can the people on the ground communicate with the people the voidships without having a psyker with the relevant powers?

2. Does some sort of tactical bombardment -- that is, not blowing up the entire planet, but hitting a moderately small area -- exist?

3. How good/bad is the accuracy? Are we talking meters/yards away from the target area, or kilometers/miles?

Totally fine to ask! I'll respond IC in a sec since it is something important to mention. Generally speaking though, in 30k the Mechanicum are more open-minded than the Adeptus Mechanicus of 40k. In fact the majority of the Mechanicum actually sided with Horus and became the Dark Mechanicum (who are rarely represented in lore despite being a very cool concept) and the more conservative elements of their faction were too weak for the Imperium to still treat them as an equal, so they basically bought their way into the Imperium at gunpoint, by holding the High Lords hostage with an Emperor-class titan and demanding their own vassalisation (if I have the lore correct). Anyway my point, before I went on a tangent, is that xenotech and innovation and the like aren't as inherently feared as in 40k, but still treated with some caution.

As for calling down aerial/orbital bombardment, I'll admit I haven't read the rules on that, but it might be something that comes up if folks would find it interesting. It would certainly give this upcoming mission even stronger Helldivers vibes lol

Ok, I believe I've responded to everyone's questions, if I've missed one please let me know, and also feel free to ask more questions! I'll write up a proper list of objectives & requisition points soon.

Also, to clarify OOC, the Imperator Somnium isn't intended to be a long-term thing or provide any specific mechanical benefit. Much like Horus showing up for the mission brief, it's more intended just for the '30k spectacle' of including it than anything else.

Also I think my favourite thing about this setting is seeing Imperial authorities using ork names/terms. Horus saying things like 'Big Mek Krakkadakka' or 'Unda-Boss Thogzulk Skullrippa' with a straight face is just very amusing to me 😂

A bit premature, perhaps, but I'd like to advice on what kind of weapons to requisition for a mission like this. Zorael will default to his chainsword and bolter pistol, but it is rather lacking if we're up against hordes of greenskins.

I will always be requisitioning two items:

• Diagnostor Helmet (15 requisition)
  • Astartes Combat Webbing (3 requisition)

Zoreal doesn't have a great BS. Is it helpful if he requisitions something like a heavy bolter for suppression purposes, assuming he can afford it? Or perhaps a regular bolter with some useful ammunition. There's not a whole lot of full auto weapons available, as far as I can see.

Alternatively, something like a flamer and/or spray weapon that ignore BS and just hits everything in a certain direction. He could also pick up a grenade launcher or something like that.

If he has spare requisition, he can also donate it to someone else who needs extra.

Edited by Ayeba (see edit history)