OOC Chat

Trish_the_Nugg_Queen

I'm aware my requisition is not done. I'll try to finish it within a day or two.

There's still a question in the 30k weapon thread I haven't gotten answered; the magnitude damage of the Phosphex Incinerator Cannon.

As for oaths; We haven't spent time studying and practicing together, so Oath of the Astartes seem a bit inappropriate. Oath of the Emperor is thematically very fitting. Oath of Glory, perhaps even more so, at least for the team members out to find glory. I'm fine with either of them, though in-character Zorael would prefer the Oath of the Emperor.

On 5/9/2024 at 3:46 AM, luctius said:

Edit2: IndyKophen, I just noticed your incredibly cool drawing!

Thanks. Meuler and Morrigan, or as I prefer: Team M&M!

I got a little lazy towards the end; the jump pack engines aren't symmetrical, but you know, I can easily write off any imperfections as, uh... battle damage.

I may have to work on a whole squad shot next.

On 5/9/2024 at 5:46 PM, luctius said:

Edit2: IndyKophen, I just noticed your incredibly cool drawing!

Seconding this, so cool that we're getting art already 😄

20 hours ago, IndyKophen said:

I can easily write off any imperfections as, uh... battle damage.

This is how I justify the paintjob on my 40k minis, honestly. It helps that I play Death Guard lol

I'm thoroughly impressed with the way you did the Augury, @luctius.

It appears I didn't read the briefing too well, because I just noticed the following:

Secondary Objective - Eliminate Ork Air Superiority: Presently, the orks have dominance over the skies. Their jet fightaz must be neutralised or forced to ground, to significantly reduce the risks involved in extraction.

Sounds like it's a great idea to requisition a Missile Launcher. But if there's a lot of fightaz and others have requisition left, perhaps request more? It costs only 10. Not sure it's possible to combine one with a jumppack.

On that note, I have some related rules questions I hope someone can help me with:

1. How many missiles do I get with the requisition? I read the following on Launchers in p152:

Requisitioning a missile launcher includes the requisition of frag and/or krak missiles sufficient to keep the weapon loaded with whatever configuration of the two missile types is desired.

The Soundstrike missile luncher has a "clip" of 8. Does that mean I get 8 missiles? Or is it like other weapons where you get 2 spare clips, so 24 missiles?

2. If I carry a mix of missiles, do I get to choose which type to load as the next one? Or is it a Full-round action to change clip (since it has Reload: Full)?

3. If I requisition more missiles, do I get one "clip" for each time I pay the requisition cost?

4. Do I need to brace the missile launcher before firing?

• On page 238, under the description of the brace action, it says "When a Heavy weapon is fired without being braced, the attacker suffers a -30 to his Ballistic Skill Test."
  • Under Bulging Biceps (p 114), a talent all space marines have, it says "The character can fire heavy weapons using Semi-Auto burst or Full Auto Burst without bracing, and he does not suffer the -30 penalty for failing to brace."

The latter makes no mention of Standard Attack, but it seems a bit strange to me that Space Marines find it easier to fire a weapon in burst or full auto than single shots. But perhaps that is what the rules intended?

By the way...

Unfortunately, beyond Magos Valenthius, any surviving humans planetside are classed mission-irrelevant. Their sacrifice shall be remembered in the annals of history.

Ouch! Yup, we're definitely playing Warhammer 30k...

Edited by Ayeba (see edit history)

If we're in agreement on Vorticar being Squad Leader, I've taken the liberty of collating the Oaths available to a Tactical Marine if we wanted to hash things out here.

Oath of the Astartes: A Kill-team which takes this oath before a Mission may add +2 to their Cohesion for the duration of that Mission - Squad Advance, Bolter Assault, Tactical Spacing.

Oath of the Emperor: All members of the Kill-team may add +10 to Willpower Tests for the duration of the Mission - Fire for Effect, Regroup, Strongpoint.

Oath of Glory: All members of a Kill-team which take this oath will gain an additional point of Renown for each Primary and Secondary Objective that the Kill-team completes, as long as they are personally involved - Squad Advance, Bolter Assault, Furious Charge.

Oath of Loyalty: A Kill- team which takes this oath gains a +1 bonus on Cohesion Challenge rolls and their leader may add +10 to all tests to resist Cohesion damage - Tactical Spacing, Regroup, Soak Fire.

Ranking preference here (most to least), I'm partial to Oath of Glory, Oath of the Astartes, Oath of Loyalty, and Oath of the Emperor.

I think Oath of Glory makes the most sense in-character for many of the participants. Oath of the Astartes seems a lot less fitting, judging from the description; a lot of time spent training together to work in coordination.

On 5/12/2024 at 12:21 PM, Ayeba said:

1. How many missiles do I get with the requisition?

For simplicity's sake I'll say that missile clips function basically the same as any other firearm. You get a backpack rack of 8 missiles already attached to the launcher, then two spare racks, all included in the launcher's requisition. Each of the three missile racks the launcher comes with can be either frag or krak missiles, any other type of missile will require separate requisition

2. If I carry a mix of missiles, do I get to choose which type to load as the next one? Or is it a Full-round action to change clip (since it has Reload: Full)?

Each rack of 8 missiles has to be all the same thing, i.e. you can't have 4 frag and 4 krak in the same clip. From what I read, the missile 'clip' is basically a backpack-mounted rack with an auto-loader arm that loads each missile for you, so the full turn to reload would be the time to swap from one backpack to the other. No idea how the other backpacks are transported around the battlefield, maybe a chapter serf or something, but I'm happy enough to handwave disappearing inventory, within reason.

3. If I requisition more missiles, do I get one "clip" for each time I pay the requisition cost?

Yes, each requisition cost would be for another missile rack/clip of eight missiles

4. Do I need to brace the missile launcher before firing?

That does seem to be the case RAW, but it doesn't make sense. Bulging Biceps should negate the bracing penalty for heavy weapons regardless of fire mode. So I'm going to ignore that rule and say that it doesn't need bracing for standard shots

On 5/15/2024 at 2:48 PM, Ayeba said:

I apologize for the extra work I'm heaping on you.

No problem! Feel free to keep asking questions, and that goes for everyone. I'm still around, May is just a busy family month for me