OOC Chat: Chapter 1 - As Above, So Below

bwatford

I'm in US central time (GMT-5).

4 hours ago, scootloops said:

@Harding and @Newcomer, since it seems like the two of you are semi-know to each other already and would be headed to the wastes (possibly with Question tagging along), I was wondering if y'all'd be alright with Taborlin meeting up with you in Savoyne. She would have read your names in a book or two at the Library in Friula and recognized any posts either of you made for hired help to go into the wastes. I can weave in Question (@Ayeba) to my post if they are present at that time too. I mean, everything can be edited I suppose but Taborlin would not have risked the wastes without some sort of companions already. Too risky for her without help.

I'm definitely on board with this. We would have assembled an expeditionary team for sure.

3 hours ago, MysteriousMiller said:

If we go with the idea that Noodles is the kind of goblin/gnome who spies on people, then we can link his spying to his joining the group and becoming a useful member. If Taborlin joins them at Savoyne, then maybe they pick up Noodles (who they've seen around) because he knows the Wastes better than most...

Which just leaves Willowveil's connection @8w_gremlin

I like that, too.

Sorry I haven't posted yet...life got real very quickly last night!! Everything okay now and I'll post properly this evening, but I'll drop something short and sweet in straight away.

If everyone is okay with it I'm gonna have Noodles manifest his Psychic whispers for the first time as a totally random thing (seems very appropriate for the little fella!)

The quotes broke a bit when I edited the post. There might a bug somewhere in the interaction between fieldsets and quotes, as I had not had that problem in other games where I do not use a fields to encompass my posts.

I also just realized I have Identify, but no pearls. Couldn't afford them anyway; most of my gold went to the material component for Summon Undead.

Edited by Ayeba (see edit history)

@bwatford For this campaign, is there an assumption that we are strictly delving into the dungeon as far as we can, or are we free to travel back to civilization in between things? I recognize that traveling to civilization would be quite a trek, either way, so I'm not suggesting frequent pit stops.

On a related note, may I retroactively adjust my equipment, spending most of my remaining gold on the rare inks needed to scribe new spells into my spellbook? Or would you rather hand-wave that and just spend the gold when we add the spells?

29 minutes ago, Newcomer said:

@bwatford For this campaign, is there an assumption that we are strictly delving into the dungeon as far as we can, or are we free to travel back to civilization in between things? I recognize that traveling to civilization would be quite a trek, either way, so I'm not suggesting frequent pit stops.

On a related note, may I retroactively adjust my equipment, spending most of my remaining gold on the rare inks needed to scribe new spells into my spellbook? Or would you rather hand-wave that and just spend the gold when we add the spells?

Traveling back is up to the group.

You need the inks, so you can adjust your equipment if needed. Plenty early.

The D&D rules are mildly put wonky when it comes to survival. Ref this thread.

1 waterskin weighs 5 lb full, which means it contains about half a gallon of water. Each of us will then need 2-4 waterskins (depending on 'normal' or 'hot' weather) worth of water each day, which is a lot. Question has 60 lb of capacity left, which equates to 12 waterskins, for a total of up to 3 days in hot weather.

Without a druid or cleric to cast Create or Destroy Water at least once daily, we're going to struggle really hard to stay alive for any extended period of time. If it's close to impossible to forage food and watre, I may have to go back and retcon my magic item into a Bag of Holding, 'cause I don't see how Question would have survived in the Mana Waste otherwise. I chose proficiency in survival specifically to help alleviate the issue.

Yeah, I think I might need to address some of the things I've taken and look at the other items available.
How did you get a bag of holding, I didn't see that on the list of items, or were they updated?

Each person needs two full waterskins a day in your location. Foraging has not been an issue as of yet as you are on the edge of the waste.

But it might become an issue.

1 hour ago, Ayeba said:

The D&D rules are mildly put wonky when it comes to survival. Ref this thread.

1 waterskin weighs 5 lb full, which means it contains about half a gallon of water. Each of us will then need 2-4 waterskins (depending on 'normal' or 'hot' weather) worth of water each day, which is a lot. Question has 60 lb of capacity left, which equates to 12 waterskins, for a total of up to 3 days in hot weather.

Without a druid or cleric to cast Create or Destroy Water at least once daily, we're going to struggle really hard to stay alive for any extended period of time. If it's close to impossible to forage food and watre, I may have to go back and retcon my magic item into a Bag of Holding, 'cause I don't see how Question would have survived in the Mana Waste otherwise. I chose proficiency in survival specifically to help alleviate the issue.

I can prepare create and destroy water if we need it (you forget we have a druid!), and I also plan to cast goodberry at the end of the day. It would be a good idea to buy some extra waterskins or other containers to collect the created water in, though. I'll add a second waterskin to my equipment, as well as 175 gp of spell ink (when I have a few more minutes).

For what it's worth, I also have the outlander feature, which may help a teensy bit if water is limited but present?

Thanks for the equipment leniency, DM!

I have extra water skins on Taborlin and I did plan on using Sanaa to help carry supplies. She can hold about 540 lbs if no one is riding, so we could get away with a barrel of water. Sanaa is thankfully a spirit creature, so we don’t need to feed/water her.

I’ve got about 60g left to spend on supplies. I’ll probably up my ration count a bit