OOC Chat: Chapter 1 - As Above, So Below

bwatford

1 hour ago, 8w_gremlin said:

I don't know why, but I feel we're all at the Southeast corner of the mana waste would that be about right @bwatford

PS: great to meet you all.

Closer to the far southern edge

image.png.a90a900f7f337ec3acbeaa344ececa97.png

8 hours ago, 8w_gremlin said:

Willowvine is an arcane user, and even the Oaken ring doesn't like her style of magic, even though it was gifted to her from a power older than the elves, dwarves and dragons. She is linked very heavily with forest and wood, and anyone escaping that area may have run into her, or journeyed with each other to the Mana waste, as she is on a mission from her patron.

Could we have met on the way, which way have you all come from, I don't know why, but I feel we're all at the Southeast corner of the mana waste would that be about right?

Zelda's coming from the north, but she's following the notes of her colleague, so I was assuming she came down by Savoyne on her way (while also steering clear of the Oaken ring, who would really not like a druid who decided to study wizardry). She would have wanted to join or assemble an expedition team, so some of us could have formed a team there and added the others on the way.

Just dropping this here as a request from @Ayeba

ROLLS AND WHEN TO MAKE THEM

I prefer that you describe your actions in the post itself instead of including die rolls unless I request them. In play-by-post, I use a passive system for most checks. For instance, Question would automatically know details about an object related to Arcana, History, or Investigation with a Difficulty Class (DC) of 17 or lower if she were investigating it in the post.

When I require a check for any reason, I typically conduct it off-screen, and occasionally, I'll include a skill check request within a post, hidden behind spoilers for those who succeed. In combat scenarios, I often post creature knowledge DCs under a spoiler as well.

This system allows for a smoother gameplay experience and enables players with high scores and specific proficiencies to stand out for their extensive knowledge, rather than relying solely on dice rolls.

You could consider including proficiencies and modifiers within your mechanics spoiler. This would streamline the process, eliminating the need to search elsewhere while reading your post. It's beneficial to regularly update it alongside your post, as it informs decisions during interactions, such as determining attitude and posture based on what you're holding. Additionally, it's useful in scenarios like triggering traps or other events that could impact the items you're carrying, such as the increased danger of falling into a pit while holding a sword, or the risk of a lit lantern shattering.

Many of these minor checks occur offscreen and are utilized to enhance the description and depth of an unfolding scene.

Additionally, include any potential reactions your character may have and their triggers in the mechanical spoiler section.

i.e. of a Mechanical Spoiler

Main Hand: -
Off Hand: -

Proficiencies: +7 Arcana, History, Investigation, Cartographer's Tools / +3 Survival

Action: -
Bonus Action: -
Move: -
Manipulate: -
Possible Reaction: Cast Shield (If die roll is higher than 13)

11 hours ago, Newcomer said:

Deidre and Zelda have both been in Bemmea developing an interest in archaeology, so it's plausible we'd have met. But we've had wildly different experiences with the fey and might have trouble getting along. We could have already gone on an awkward expedition together with a mutual associate, but perhaps it's better to not have traveled together yet.

On a related note, Zelda has explored a few ruins in the past (which would have been less of an adventure, and probably no further into the Mana's Waste than the current ruin), so that's a route for knowing of each other. It's also possible some of the scholarly among our group are familiar with each other's writings on magic.

I think actually that your character could have educated her and help her understand them. Deidre have a very curious mind and want to understand her connection with the feywild magic. I think instead of a rocky relationship, it could be one based on learning and open mindness, two academic mind completing each others.

I think it would be good that both worked together personally.

1 minute ago, Harding said:

I think actually that your character could have educated her and help her understand them. Deidre have a very curious mind and want to understand her connection with the feywild magic. I think instead of a rocky relationship, it could be one based on learning and open mindness, two academic mind completing each others.

I think it would be good that both worked together personally.

Done! We approach arcane magic from different directions and with different preconceptions, but quickly learned to appreciate each other's insights. Do you want us to have gone on a previous expedition together, or just have encountered each other in academic circles?

Btw, I'll have an IC post up later today, I expect.

11 minutes ago, Newcomer said:

Done! We approach arcane magic from different directions and with different preconceptions, but quickly learned to appreciate each other's insights. Do you want us to have gone on a previous expedition together, or just have encountered each other in academic circles?

Btw, I'll have an IC post up later today, I expect.

Absolutely. Zelda might be the reason why Deidre left her workshop again for adventure. Might be your character that provided her the offer for this expedition.

I'll also try to make a post today or in the evening, if I'm not too swamped by work and RL.

Btw, everyone, my time zone is Time zone in Montreal, QC (GMT-4), so it is 11:00 AM here.  Might be good to know everyone TZ 

Edited by Harding (see edit history)

1 hour ago, Harding said:

Absolutely. Zelda might be the reason why Deidre left her workshop again for adventure. Might be your character that provided her the offer for this expedition.

I'll also try to make a post today or in the evening, if I'm not too swamped by work and RL.

Btw, everyone, my time zone is Time zone in Montreal, QC (GMT-4), so it is 11:00 AM here.  Might be good to know everyone TZ 

I'm just south of you in Massachusetts, USA, so i'm on EST (gmt-4) as well. I think Gremlin mentioned they were in NZ and Ayeba mentioned Norway. Pretty sure our GM is in Central (gmt-5) but correct me if I'm wrong

GMT+1 for me. I tend to post at sort of weird times, though, such as 5 AM local time.

Question would be easy to convince to join the party. All you have to do is promise that she'd get to get to research anything related to her origin if we come across it. She would happily join a party to increase her chances of survival, which in turn increase the chance of success.

The real question might be: Would you really want to invite the weird automaton? I'm intentionally playing her to be rather ... eccentric. If it gets too annoying/tiresome, let me know, and I'll moderate it a bit.

13 minutes ago, Ayeba said:

GMT+1 for me. I tend to post at sort of weird times, though, such as 5 AM local time.

Question would be easy to convince to join the party. All you have to do is promise that she'd get to get to research anything related to her origin if we come across it. She would happily join a party to increase her chances of survival, which in turn increase the chance of success.

The real question might be: Would you really want to invite the weird automaton? I'm intentionally playing her to be rather ... eccentric. If it gets too annoying/tiresome, let me know, and I'll moderate it a bit.

Deidre would have NOOOOO objections to let her join, might it be as a companion and as a research subject interest. 😄

She will find you... fascinating!

Willowveil would distrust Question, see them as a product of civilization, but would definitely see the value in them, so would keep her thoughts and feelings to herself.
Willowveil would be pleased to meet and talk with Zelda, who understands both the arcane and the natural world. she probably feels that "Zelda gets it" even though the trappings of civilisation cling to them. There is a lot of overlap in some of the magic that they have.

So happy to have joined the expedition last, with a consultation with my patron and Zelda telling me of their plans.

does that work?

GMT for me, and the next hour or so is my typical posting time.

@Ayeba Noodles could definitely have come across Question in the Mana Waste, or seen her as she was captured or rescued (I can picture him just hiding and watching and wittering away to himself) He'd be very intrigued (the Gnomish part of his brain is forever curious)

He's another character who will have been nowhere near civilisation. @Harding @Newcomer Deidre and Zelda would pique his interest through their connection to the fey, perhaps stirring up a long forgotten memory. As they are archaeologists then maybe he's snooped on them at a dig, watching to see if they find anything interesting and eventually they've realised that he might make a fairly useful (if somewhat odd) guide and "odd job gob".

He'd be fairly easy to get on board with the promise of strange and wonderful magical items, plus he would feel that bringing water back to the land was helping "his tribe" so he would see the point of view of our nature lovers.

Edited by MysteriousMiller (see edit history)

@Harding and @Newcomer, since it seems like the two of you are semi-know to each other already and would be headed to the wastes (possibly with Question tagging along), I was wondering if y'all'd be alright with Taborlin meeting up with you in Savoyne. She would have read your names in a book or two at the Library in Friula and recognized any posts either of you made for hired help to go into the wastes. I can weave in Question (@Ayeba) to my post if they are present at that time too. I mean, everything can be edited I suppose but Taborlin would not have risked the wastes without some sort of companions already. Too risky for her without help.

I'm not sure if where Noodle (@MysteriousMiller) and Willowveil (@8w_gremlin) joined or if we meet them on the way yet

37 minutes ago, scootloops said:

I'm not sure if where Noodle (@MysteriousMiller) and Willowveil (@8w_gremlin) joined or if we meet them on the way yet

If we go with the idea that Noodles is the kind of goblin/gnome who spies on people, then we can link his spying to his joining the group and becoming a useful member. If Taborlin joins them at Savoyne, then maybe they pick up Noodles (who they've seen around) because he knows the Wastes better than most...

Which just leaves Willowveil's connection @8w_gremlin