Chapter One Part One "Edge of Anarchy"

bloodsprite

10 hours ago, Starhawk said:

spacer.png

The others don't react, and so after several moments, she reaches into a pouch and pulls out a small piece of brick. She gestures over it, chants a few words, clearly some kind of magical formula, whereupon her eyes turn chalk white. The white orbs flit this way and that as if her eyes are having some kind of fit. Then, within the space of a breath or two, she closes her eyes. When she opens them again her eyes are once more their usual irridescent blue.

She grins girlishly, knowing what she looks like when she does this... "I know more now..", she purrs, clearly cloaked in confidence.

Rumors echo through the winding streets of Korvosa, whispered in hushed tones by those who dare to speak of the notorious Gaedren Lamm and his shadowy operations.

"People say the old fishery he's taken over—it's cursed, I tell you," one townsperson murmurs, their eyes darting nervously. "Belonged to a poor soul who met his end at the jaws of a devilfish. Now it's home to Gaedren and his gang of miscreants, where stolen treasures mingle with the stench of decay."

"Word is, Gaedren's been squatting in that place for years," another adds, shaking their head in disbelief. "Using loopholes in the law to avoid paying a single copper for shelter. It's a haven for scum and villainy, a dark den where innocent children are forced into a life of crime."

"But beware," a third voice warns, their tone tinged with fear. "At night, that fishery becomes a fortress. Locked doors, prowling guards, and a mangy cur ready to sound the alarm at the slightest hint of trouble. Gaedren may be old, but he's cunning—never underestimate him."

"And those poor orphans he keeps under his thumb," someone else murmurs, their voice heavy with sympathy. "Lamm's Lambs, they call them. They were forced to work like slaves, their spirits broken by years of abuse. They dream of escape, but fear keeps them chained to their fate."

As the rumors swirl and intertwine, painting a grim picture of Gaedren Lamm's domain, the people of Korvosa exchange nervous glances, knowing that beneath the surface of their city lies a darkness that threatens to consume them all.

"Have you heard? They say Gaedren Lamm's got a pet alligator," one gossiping voice murmurs, eyes wide with fascination. "A monstrous beast named Gobblegut fed on the flesh of his enemies. The creature lurks beneath the fishery, waiting to strike at anyone foolish enough to cross its master."

"Rumor has it that Gaedren's got eyes and ears all over the city," another whispers, casting a wary glance over their shoulder. "His network of spies and informants keeps tabs on everything—from the dealings of the nobility to the whispers of the common folk. Cross him, and you'll find yourself in his sights."

"I've heard tales of secret passages and hidden chambers beneath the fishery," a third voice chimes in, voice tinged with intrigue. "Some say Gaedren's amassed a fortune in stolen treasures, hidden away in the depths where no one dares to tread. But beware—the walls have ears, and secrets can get out."

"And what of Gaedren's henchmen? They say they're a motley crew, each more ruthless than the last," another adds, shuddering at the thought. "Giggles, Hookshanks, and Yargin—they've earned their reputation as Gaedren's enforcers, willing to do whatever it takes to protect their master's interests. Cross them, and you'll regret it."

As the rumors swirl and multiply, painting a vivid tapestry of intrigue and danger, the people of Korvosa exchange nervous glances, knowing that beneath the surface of their city lies a darkness that threatens to consume them all.

10 hours ago, parody said:

DerekSteelwindPortrait.png.5f797800e4afba7793486766f4c8b49f.png

In-Character

Derek tries to piece together what he knows of the area and its inhabitants.

Knowledge (Local)(19)

You know that area intimately, one of your training runs was just there, and there is an Orphanage not to far away either for getting those kids too.

Orphanage.png.fb720023c1add7d1c957cf4617be482c.png

OldFishery.png.162763e055745abde103cd035a414731.png

spacer.pngStella Sucredes

bold=speech/normal=whisper/italics=thoughts

AC 12/(  ) HP 8/8 Init 2 Fort Ref 4 Will 6

Female LN Aasimar Wizard - Conjurer - Chronomancer,

Level 1 Init 2 HP 8/8 Speed 30'  
AC 12 Touch 12 F-F 10 CMD 11 Fort 4 Ref 4 Will 6 CMB -1 BAB 0  Special DR5 Cold, Electricity and Acid
*Dagger -1 (1d4-1, 19-20/x2)  (+2 Dex)
Str 8 Dex 14 Con 12 Int 20 Wis 14 Cha 16

Arcane Duelist 5/5 +1 to DC or +2 vs SR or +2 to hit

Shift 8/8 (Swift Action no AOO) 5' Dimension Door 

Temporal Pool 6/6pts
* Forewarned: 1 pt Add 1d4 to initiative (self or 30' ally)

* Rewind: Immediate Action unsuccessful spell from failed concentration, successful save, failed SR contest etc spend 1/2 spell level in pts to regain spell in memory (not components or action)..

Spells

0 (All) currently in memory Detect Magic, Acid Splash, Dancing Lights.

1st (4) Color Spray 2, Crafter's Fortune, Ears of the City, Feather Fall, Grease, Mage Armor, Vanish, Secluded Grimoire

Alchemical Items

Acid Flask (1) = Alchemical Focus

Alchemist's Fire (4/4)

Weapon Blanch (Silver) (2/2)

Weapon Blanch (Cold Iron) (1)

Condition None

Stella eyes Emmelyn, looking a little concerned, possibly wondering if Emmelyn is more shy than she'd previously thought. After a moment, she shakes off her hesitation and begins speaking.. "Seems like the place is locked up tighter than a miser's coin purse after sundown. Patrols too..", all the while her eyes were flicking between Veska and Derek, the more martial pair.After a moment, clearly to let the fighting pair ponder, she continues, her voice is mellifluous as ever.. "There's rumors of treasure filled tunnels under the place... but right next to the river, well I think that's unlikely unless there are amphibians on the payroll." Although she started this detail in her usual 'just the fact's ma'am' intonation, a sliver of sarcasm crept in towards the end. "Still, there might be 'something' in the water underneath the place.. Gobbleguts I am told... an alligator maybe? There could be something in that. If so, there's probably a trapdoor, or just a big hole in the floor. It's not like he keeps pigs to get rid of his victims and there's no garden." Clearly revolted by the notion, it takes a moment for her to collect herself. "There's also talk of a guard dog. I think that's a near certainty. It's only prudent. Drugged meaty treats perhaps?" Looking up and to the right, the motion of recollection as opposed to down to the right, a sign of lying, she adds.. "I heard tell of three henchmen, apparently competing to be the most vicious.. names of Giggles, Hookshanks and Yargin. Hookshanks suggests a tripping weapon."

"There's a lot of betting that Gaedran has his loot hidden somewhere in the premises. We might need those resources in the aftermath, especially if he manages to get away."

Edited by Starhawk (see edit history)

In-Character

As Derek listened intently to Zellara’s detailed exposition of Gaedren's stronghold, his mind swiftly painted a vivid map of the old fishery - an area he knew all too well from his rigorous training runs. "I remember the layout," Derek interjected, "There’s also an orphanage not far from there. If Gaedren is using children for his crimes, that might be where he’s getting them." One hand drew a rough sketch of the area on the table as the other gestured in the direction of the orphanage.

Derek continued, "We need to approach this carefully. I suggest we scout the perimeter first."

"Let’s use every piece of knowledge we have, every resource at our disposal," Derek concluded, looking each of his allies in the eye, "and end Gaedren’s tyranny over the innocent and the forgotten of Korvosa. We have the chance now to stop him."

Character Details

Character Stats

[URL=/sheets/?id=2902195][B][SIZE=+1]Derek Steelwind[/SIZE][/B][/URL] Male CG Human Ranger (Sable Company Marine / Urban Ranger), [B]Level[/B] 1, [B]Init[/B] 2, [B]HP[/B] 12/12, [B]Speed[/B] 30 [B]AC[/B] 18, [B]Touch[/B] 12, [B]Flat-footed[/B] 16, [B]CMD[/b] 17, [B]Fort[/B] 4, [B]Ref[/B] 4, [B]Will[/B] 3, [B]CMB[/B] +5, [B]Base Attack Bonus[/B] 1, [B]Action Points[/B] 1 [B] Kukri [/B] +5 (1d4+4, 18-20/x2) [B] Bash (Heavy Shield) [/B] +5 (1d4+4, x2) [B] Javelin x3 [/B] +5 (1d6+3, x2) [B] Lamellar (Leather) Armor[/B], [B] Heavy Shield (Wooden)[/B] (+4 Armor, +2 Shield, +2 Dex) [B]Abilities[/B] Str 18, Dex 15, Con 14, Int 10, Wis 14, Cha 8 [B]Condition[/B] ---- Track +1 Wild Empathy +1 Favored Enemy (Human) +2
Derek Steelwind
Male CG Human Ranger (Sable Company Marine / Urban Ranger), Level 1, Init 2, HP 12/12, Speed 30
AC 18, Touch 12, Flat-footed 16, CMD 17, Fort 4, Ref 4, Will 3, CMB +5, Base Attack Bonus 1, Action Points 1
Kukri +5 (1d4+4, 18-20/x2)
Bash (Heavy Shield) +5 (1d4+4, x2)
Javelin x3 +5 (1d6+3, x2)
Lamellar (Leather) Armor, Heavy Shield (Wooden) (+4 Armor, +2 Shield, +2 Dex)
Abilities Str 18, Dex 15, Con 14, Int 10, Wis 14, Cha 8
Condition
----
Track +1
Wild Empathy +1
Favored Enemy (Human) +2

Knowledge (Local)

Velka

image.jpeg.6e332328a2463df4207cc889a99654d4.jpeg
HP:11/11

"Giggles and Yargin.. I feel strangely hard done by, like hearing about your terrible ex's new lass..." She nodded at Derek. "I agree but we also don't want to spook them, they see a couple of unknowns they are likely to be on high alert, or try and jump uz, corse that last bit might be a idea itself. If we can take out a few of um' before we need to go inside more da' better."

Edited by DecoyGirl (see edit history)

AC 12 Touch 12 F-F 10 CMD 11 Fort 4 Ref 4 Will 6 CMB -1 BAB 0  Special DR5 Cold, Electricity and Acid

Temporal Pool 6/6pts

* Rewind: Immediate Action unsuccessful spell from failed concentration, successful save, failed SR contest etc spend 1/2 spell level in pts to regain spell in memory (not components or action)..

Spells

1st (4) Color Spray, Crafter's Fortune, Ears of the City (used), Feather Fall, Grease, Mage Armor, Vanish, Secluded Grimoire

Alchemical Items

Alchemist's Fire (4/4)

Condition None

Stella looks over at Emmelyn, her irridescent eyes unblinking, clearly wondering if she had input. When Emmelyn doesn't contribute, she shrugs, looking like she's on the cusp of never enquiring again and brings her gaze back to the ones who do. "Well, I recommend we time our attack for the hours after midnight. That gives us the time between then and now to concoct something inject into a sausage to deal with the dog. If we can deal with the dog, we might be able to pick our way through the locks and get in before they know we're there and do some damage before they get to react.", she says in her smooth low contralto. "Then again we could attack during the day, when the place is more open, but that would delay us until tomorrow. It would however allow me to memorise another attack spell in place of Ears of the City. Then there's the hours just before dawn, which allows us the best of both worlds."

Playing nrevously with her ebon ponytail, redoing it, she concludes with.. "Our prey, the vomitous breechbirth has ears everywhere, so I think we have to assume it's a race against time to get him before he knows of our existence and disappears while sending killers after us."

Emmelyn

A silence had indeed come over her. Or rather, an invisible loudness had filled her. Enough she had hardly even, in the moment, noticed those looks of growing confusion cast her way by the only one to truly know her there. A statue she was, as they discussed the approach. Somehow, all she could think of was Lamm, and she couldn't think of Lamm at all. The orphans. Would they be used, turned out as ill-trained knives the same way they were pressed to pick pockets and deliver their ill-gotten gains, only to have empty bellies, shivering bodies, and fruitless dreams.

"I agree with Stella. The sun, in her radiance, shouldn't have to witness what must be done. Nor should it have to gaze upon the sisters and brothers abandoned to their fates another day..."

She wasn't emphatic as she said it. Her eyes still somewhere far away, with her goddess, and her thoughts, and their communion. But she was returning, and caught, in memory, those looks Stella had given her. Of worry and then... something else.

"Sorry, I..." She hesitated. She could not bear to call her connection a fit, a spell, or anything which demeaned the intimate connection, the blessing, Shelyn had invested her with. And yet... she had been rude. Aloof. Distant. This, too, was thoughtless.

"I lost myself for a moment."

Velka

image.jpeg.6e332328a2463df4207cc889a99654d4.jpeg
HP:11/11

"Aye, night is a better idea, would be good to know who can see wut' in the dark however, my eyes not so good but I'll manage. As fer' as approchin' tha place? I don't rightfully know. Maybe the road is a better idea."

Posted (edited)

Note: the moon is waxing gibbous icons8-waxing-gibbous-64.png.c54d0c1e82618f9122bd0b23079a4fb2.pngSitting low in the sky to the West over the city.
The shadows of the building on the west of the streets just stop before the buildings on the east of the street.

Edited by bloodsprite (see edit history)

In-Character

"Every moment we delay, those kids are suffering under Gaedren's cruelty. I've seen enough of what these tyrants can do to the innocent - especially children. We must strike swiftly."

Derek's expression is resolute, his gaze steely as he scans the faces of his newfound allies, his voice thick with urgency. "I can't, in good conscience, let those children endure another moment of Gaedren's abuse. We have the location, and we know what's at stake. Delaying could make things worse or allow him to tighten his grip on those innocent lives."

His fist clenches reflexively, a sign of his deep-seated anger towards those who prey on the vulnerable. "Let's organize and move out as soon as possible. We have a chance to not only bring Gaedren to justice but to save those kids. That's our priority. Let's get them out of there and end this nightmare for them."

He looks around, seeking to ignite a spark of determination in each team member. "Let's do this right and do it now. They're counting on us."

Derek stands ready, his equipment checked and his resolve clear, waiting to move forward.

Character Details

Character Stats

[URL=/sheets/?id=2902195][B][SIZE=+1]Derek Steelwind[/SIZE][/B][/URL] Male CG Human Ranger (Sable Company Marine / Urban Ranger), [B]Level[/B] 1, [B]Init[/B] 2, [B]HP[/B] 12/12, [B]Speed[/B] 30 [B]AC[/B] 18, [B]Touch[/B] 12, [B]Flat-footed[/B] 16, [B]CMD[/b] 17, [B]Fort[/B] 4, [B]Ref[/B] 4, [B]Will[/B] 3, [B]CMB[/B] +5, [B]Base Attack Bonus[/B] 1, [B]Action Points[/B] 1 [B] Kukri [/B] +5 (1d4+4, 18-20/x2) [B] Bash (Heavy Shield) [/B] +5 (1d4+4, x2) [B] Javelin x3 [/B] +5 (1d6+3, x2) [B] Lamellar (Leather) Armor[/B], [B] Heavy Shield (Wooden)[/B] (+4 Armor, +2 Shield, +2 Dex) [B]Abilities[/B] Str 18, Dex 15, Con 14, Int 10, Wis 14, Cha 8 [B]Condition[/B] ---- Track +1 Wild Empathy +1 Favored Enemy (Human) +2
Derek Steelwind
Male CG Human Ranger (Sable Company Marine / Urban Ranger), Level 1, Init 2, HP 12/12, Speed 30
AC 18, Touch 12, Flat-footed 16, CMD 17, Fort 4, Ref 4, Will 3, CMB +5, Base Attack Bonus 1, Action Points 1
Condition
----
Track +1
Wild Empathy +1
Favored Enemy (Human) +2

Knowledge (Local)

Temporal Pool 6/6pts

Spells

1st (4) Color Spray, Crafter's Fortune, Ears of the City (used), Feather Fall, Grease, Mage Armor, Vanish, Secluded Grimoire

Alchemical Items

Alchemist's Fire (4/4)

Condition None

Stella, her irridescent eyes very much on display, gestures quickly with her right hand when the conversation turns to who among them can see in the dark, indicating she can. This doubtless surprises no-one. "I should rest first before we move. It's important that I have all my spells, so we can finish this fast.", she purrs. "We won't be able to take down the dog. So we need to breach fast and clear and my spells will help with that."

Posted (edited)

As the group of heroes, on a mission to improve Korvosa by ridding it of Lamm, made their way through the cobblestone streets, the gibbous moon hung low in the west, casting long, dark shadows across the ancient buildings. The sounds of the waterfront, just a block over, echoed softly in the night, the rhythmic lapping of the water against the break wall under the boardwalk a constant backdrop to their journey.

Passing by early-rising Korvosa merchants and fishers, the heroes couldn't help but overhear snippets of conversation about the king's precarious health. Worries about Queen Ileosa's ability to rule were voiced, with some dismissing her as nothing more than a young, pretty face ill-suited for the throne.

Undeterred by the whispers of uncertainty, the heroes pressed on, their determination unwavering as they neared their destination—the old fishery where Gaedren Lamm lurked. The air was thick with anticipation, mingled with apprehension at the dangers that awaited them.

As they walked, the heroes couldn't escape the feeling that they were on the precipice of a cataclysm—a looming threat that stretched far beyond the confines of Korvosa. Unbeknownst to them, the city's fate hung in the balance, its future a murky haze as unseen forces lurked in the shadows, poised to strike.

With each step, the heroes drew nearer to their destiny, their resolve fortified by the knowledge that they were the final bastion of defense for Korvosa against the encroaching darkness. As they approached the old fishery, the weight of their mission settled upon their shoulders, propelling them forward with an unyielding sense of purpose that would not be swayed.

OldFisherymap2.png.aaaefe4e02ae8635425a2161fbff1ee2.png

Note: it is before dawn and all spells are recovered

Temporal Pool 6/6pts

Spells

1st (4) Color Spray 2/2, Crafter's Fortune, Ears of the City, Feather Fall, Grease 1, Mage Armor 1, Vanish, Secluded Grimoire

Alchemical Items

Alchemist's Fire (4/4)

Condition None

Stella, across the road and slightly north of the Old Fishery, presents all the signs of virtue.. the hard, steady gaze of one steeling themselves for a fight, coupled with slightly trembling hands, a sign either of fear or that her blood was up.

Stella is as immaculately presented as ever, scrubbed to within an inch of her life, cold water baths bothered her not at all on account of her heritage. Her hair is braided up and pinned, held within a turban of sorts. The scarf around her neck is ready to be pulled up over the lower half of her face, to prevent easy identification when the time came. Her attire, a cloak over a plain dress is the colour of red wine, the intention being to hide blood spatter.

She is out of sight of the Fishery unless those inside could see through buildings.

She puts her right index finger in her mouth and tests the wind direction.

She's hoping they are all upwind, so the dog will smell them later, as opposed to sooner. The less warning they got the more advantage they would accrue. She'd pondered spraying on Eau de Mackeral, to hide her scent.. but the thought so offended her sensibilities that she considered death to be preferable.

She casts the prosaically named Mage Armor spell, to no visible effect, then the equally prosically entitled Detect Magic, the range of which allowed her to see all the way across the street to the front of the Old Fishery. She then peeks around the corner, her vision in no way affected by the lingering darkness before dawn and surveys the scene.

Name
Perception
1d20+6 8

Posted (edited)

As the group of heroes approached the old fishery, they could barely discern any magic. Possible minor, indistinct points of arcane energy flickered in the building, their position rendered indistinct by the weathered wooden walls with peeled old paint.

The old fishery stood lonely, with no movement on the outside. Its visible windows were boarded ineffectively and haphazardly, and its doors all shut tight.

With each passing moment, the tension in the air grew thicker; Time was ticking until the people inside might start their day. The sense of anticipation was palpable among the group.

As the heroes stood before the old fishery, a gusting wind swept in from the west, carrying the salty scent of the water and the faint echoes of distant waves crashing against the break wall under the boardwalk. The wind howled as it whipped through the narrow streets of Korvosa, gathering strength as it barreled towards the east.

With each powerful gust, the old fishery creaked and groaned, its weather-beaten walls bearing the brunt of the relentless assault. The wooden structure seemed to shudder under the force of the wind as if protesting against the relentless battering it endured.

The heroes felt the full force of the wind against their faces, pushing them away from the entrance of the fishery. It was as if nature was urging them away, driving them to avoid their inevitable confrontation with whatever darkness lurked within.

Name
Wind Strength: None, Weak, Slight, Firm, Strong, Gusting
1d6 6
Wind Going in Direction: N, NE, E, SE, S, SW, W, NW
1d8 3

In-Character

Derek hunched his shoulders against the biting wind, its salty tang a familiar scent that usually brought him a sense of peace. Not today. Today, it felt like a warning, a whisper of the storm brewing both within him and around them.

He watched as Stella surveyed the fishery from a distance. Trusting her judgment, he kept to the shadows, his senses alert for any sign of movement or danger. The lack of obvious magic was unsettling; it meant they were walking into the unknown, a hawk diving into a thicket without knowing what lay beneath.

The creaking of the old building, battered by the wind, echoed the unease gnawing at his gut. "Looks like Lamm's got more holes in his defenses than a moth-eaten tapestry," he muttered, his voice low and gravelly. "But we can't rely on the wind to win this fight."

He scanned the street, noting the position of the boarded-up windows, the angles of the tightly shut doors. His gaze fell on Velka, her background with Lamm giving her a unique understanding of his operations. "Velka," he said, his voice barely audible above the wind, "See if you can make those doors sing. I'll watch our backs." He gestured toward the street with a tilt of his head, his eyes watchful. "Wouldn't want any surprises while we're admiring the craftsmanship."

Character Details

Character Stats

Derek Steelwind
Condition
----
Track +1
Wild Empathy +1
Favored Enemy (Human) +2
Actions

Perception (+2 vs humans)

Name
Perception
1d20+6 16